Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Racktime Topit and Canti Brakes

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Racktime Topit and Canti Brakes

Old 05-02-15, 12:08 PM
  #1  
Miles to Go
Thread Starter
 
timdow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 711

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
Racktime Topit and Canti Brakes

I purchased the Racktime Topit, and discovered that I need the fork thru bolt to mount it, and the canti cable stop is in the way. I have a threaded steerer. I am considering either using a cable stop that pinches between the steerer nuts, or bailing on this rack and going to a lowrider.

I was hoping you good folks could answer a couple of questions I have...

Are there any other, better options for the cable stop?

If I go with a top of the steerer cable stop will that induce any problems that I avoiding with the current cable stop (squealing for instance)?

It's worth a bit of work/expense to mount the rack as I like the looks of it.

TIA for any useful comments.



EDIT: I am probably going to go to Tektro 720's if it makes a difference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
WP_20150502_001.jpg (97.7 KB, 74 views)
timdow is offline  
Old 05-02-15, 01:43 PM
  #2  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,598

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
A bit of fabricating creativity and the rack can use the same 2 bolts that hold the Brakes On..

Are there any other, better options for the cable stop?
hanger as part of the headset upper and/or, Threadless spacer stack .. Funky Monkey Front from Paul Component Engineering

If I go with a top of the steerer cable stop will that induce any problems that I avoiding with the current cable stop (squealing for instance)?


Y/N? Flip A Coin. I cannot supervise your work over the internet.

Me working on My Bike, It's a different story..

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-02-15 at 01:53 PM.
fietsbob is offline  
Old 05-02-15, 02:34 PM
  #3  
Miles to Go
Thread Starter
 
timdow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 711

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
A bit of fabricating creativity and the rack can use the same 2 bolts that hold the Brakes On..

hanger as part of the headset upper and/or, Threadless spacer stack .. Funky Monkey Front from Paul Component Engineering

Y/N? Flip A Coin. I cannot supervise your work over the internet.

Me working on My Bike, It's a different story..
As mine is threaded, I would have to go with something like this:




And I can install it well enough. I was wondering moving the stop higher caused any problems, or if it is undesirable in any way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ca22-3.jpg (49.6 KB, 39 views)
timdow is offline  
Old 05-02-15, 02:41 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 11,203

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
This not a TopIt rack, it is a cheaper one on my errand bike. But you can see how I custom bent up the bracket for it so that the bracket goes under the cantilever yoke. Although I have an above headset cable hanger instead of one like yours, it is pretty clear from the photo that if I needed to put a cable hanger like yours on it, there is enough room to fit it in there.



If that option does not appeal to you, if you have any spacers between your upper headset cup and headset lock nut, you might be able to find a cable hanger that could go in there instead of the spacer. Lots of bikes sold had cable hangers installed that way at the top of the headset, including the bike shown in the photo. Even if there are no spacers to remove, it is possible that you have enough extra thread to install a hanger at the top of the headset. This would probably be a better option of the two.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMGP1910.jpg (66.6 KB, 47 views)
Tourist in MSN is offline  
Old 05-02-15, 02:49 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 11,203

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by timdow
As mine is threaded, I would have to go with something like this:




And I can install it well enough. I was wondering moving the stop higher caused any problems, or if it is undesirable in any way.
I do not see it as being undesirable, two of my bikes with quill stems use that type of hanger, and two more of my bikes with threadless stems also use a hanger above the headset.

I have some tight cable bends due to a second stem on two bikes with hanger up there, the second stem caused the tight cable routing, that is something you don't have to worry about.
Tourist in MSN is offline  
Old 05-02-15, 02:52 PM
  #6  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,598

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Originally Posted by timdow
As mine is threaded, I would have to go with something like this:




And I can install it well enough. I was wondering moving the stop higher caused any problems, or if it is undesirable in any way.
Yes you Wonder .. thats Nice.

You must not have Looked 3 sizes the smallest one grips the quill of the stem directly .. Above the headset .

Ive run headset fitted housing stop hangers on my Cantilever equipped Bikes since the 70's some with a thing like that in your found picture

Already got a Spacer in between the Hex parts for that to replace?

take it to a Professional bike shop if the Fabrication of a Work-around to You is like Greek.
fietsbob is offline  
Old 05-02-15, 03:17 PM
  #7  
Miles to Go
Thread Starter
 
timdow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 711

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
This not a TopIt rack, it is a cheaper one on my errand bike. But you can see how I custom bent up the bracket for it so that the bracket goes under the cantilever yoke. Although I have an above headset cable hanger instead of one like yours, it is pretty clear from the photo that if I needed to put a cable hanger like yours on it, there is enough room to fit it in there.



If that option does not appeal to you, if you have any spacers between your upper headset cup and headset lock nut, you might be able to find a cable hanger that could go in there instead of the spacer. Lots of bikes sold had cable hangers installed that way at the top of the headset, including the bike shown in the photo. Even if there are no spacers to remove, it is possible that you have enough extra thread to install a hanger at the top of the headset. This would probably be a better option of the two.
Thanks good suggestion. The bracket that came with the rack is designed to go above, and is rather thick. I could make another I suppose, but will probably go with the top cable stop if I can.
timdow is offline  
Old 05-02-15, 03:18 PM
  #8  
Miles to Go
Thread Starter
 
timdow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 711

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Yes you Wonder .. thats Nice.

You must not have Looked 3 sizes the smallest one grips the quill of the stem directly .. Above the headset .

Ive run headset fitted housing stop hangers on my Cantilever equipped Bikes since the 70's some with a thing like that in your found picture

Already got a Spacer in between the Hex parts for that to replace?

take it to a Professional bike shop if the Fabrication of a Work-around to You is like Greek.
Yes on mine it could result in a tight bend also but the top cable stop is cheap enough I think I will give it a try.
timdow is offline  
Old 05-02-15, 03:22 PM
  #9  
Miles to Go
Thread Starter
 
timdow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 711

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Yes you Wonder .. thats Nice.

You must not have Looked 3 sizes the smallest one grips the quill of the stem directly .. Above the headset .

Ive run headset fitted housing stop hangers on my Cantilever equipped Bikes since the 70's some with a thing like that in your found picture

Already got a Spacer in between the Hex parts for that to replace?

take it to a Professional bike shop if the Fabrication of a Work-around to You is like Greek.
Ah yes thanks I see now in the link you sent the cable stop clamping the stem. I fabbed a set of tabs for the rear rack, so yes I could fabricate a mount for the front rack, but I think having the cable stop higher might actually turn out to be beneficial so I think I will try it first as it is fairly inexpensive to do.
timdow is offline  
Old 05-02-15, 03:35 PM
  #10  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,598

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Still ... mounting the front rack to the ends of the brake Bosses rather than the fork crown has, it seems, not been considered

Old Man Mountain Racks use that method Old Man Mountain Front Pannier Racks For Any Bike
as does Tubus Smarti front rack tubus - Smarti



FWIW QBP Has some with a short Noodle to make the clearance under the stem , 'Funky monkey' uses a drop down distance ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-02-15 at 03:40 PM.
fietsbob is offline  
Old 05-02-15, 03:59 PM
  #11  
Miles to Go
Thread Starter
 
timdow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 711

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Still ... mounting the front rack to the ends of the brake Bosses rather than the fork crown has, it seems, not been considered

Old Man Mountain Racks use that method Old Man Mountain Front Pannier Racks For Any Bike
as does Tubus Smarti front rack tubus - Smarti



FWIW QBP Has some with a short Noodle to make the clearance under the stem , 'Funky monkey' uses a drop down distance ..
Took a look at brake boss mounting that you suggested and with this particular tack it would be very difficult due to the mount being a lot higher than the brake bosses. The change from stem or headset brake stop is by far the easiest. Decision time for me weather to change brake stop or go with another rack. Thanks a bunch for the suggestions.
timdow is offline  
Old 05-02-15, 04:17 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 11,203

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by timdow
Took a look at brake boss mounting that you suggested and with this particular tack it would be very difficult due to the mount being a lot higher than the brake bosses. The change from stem or headset brake stop is by far the easiest. Decision time for me weather to change brake stop or go with another rack. Thanks a bunch for the suggestions.
Yeah, I think the TopIt rack has to be mounted on the rack brazeons, not the brake bosses.

You might need a longer straddle cable if you use the TopIt upper bracket, but that is the only issue I anticipate. On the bike where I showed the photo, I did not want to bother going to the store to get the hardware for a different brake straddle cable, so I just bent it up to go under the existing straddle cable that I had.
Tourist in MSN is offline  
Old 05-02-15, 07:57 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
saddlesores's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Thailand..........Nakhon Nowhere
Posts: 3,654

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by timdow
something like this:
I was wondering moving the stop higher caused any problems, or if it is undesirable in any way.
moving higher no problem, unless the bend is too tight. you can find cable hanger/stops with a
longer lip, like this:

Dia Compe Steel Adjustable Brake Cable Hanger for 1" Steerer Tube 3 Types | eBay

or you could appropriately bend (or replace with scrap stuff lying around) the topit mount to use the
same mounting point/bolt as the current cable stop. only possible problem with that is whether it will
interfere with the straddle cable.

can't tell from the picture, but you just might be able to use the knurled nut from the replacement
stop in your link, mounted in a hole you drill through the rack mount and do away with the separate
cable stop altogether. or would that be crzy?
saddlesores is offline  
Old 05-02-15, 09:18 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
saddlesores's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Thailand..........Nakhon Nowhere
Posts: 3,654

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
can't tell from the picture, but you just might be able to use the knurled nut from the replacement
stop in your link, mounted in a hole you drill through the rack mount and do away with the separate
cable stop altogether. or would that be crzy?
on second thought, yeah, that would be crazy.

if you don't like the bolt-on quill cable stops, you can get a replacement stem with
integrated cable hanger:

Girvin Flexstem 150 mm 1 1 8" Quill Stem Black Aluminum Quill Vintage | eBay
saddlesores is offline  
Old 05-02-15, 11:10 PM
  #15  
Miles to Go
Thread Starter
 
timdow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 711

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
moving higher no problem, unless the bend is too tight. you can find cable hanger/stops with a
longer lip, like this:

Dia Compe Steel Adjustable Brake Cable Hanger for 1" Steerer Tube 3 Types | eBay

or you could appropriately bend (or replace with scrap stuff lying around) the topit mount to use the
same mounting point/bolt as the current cable stop. only possible problem with that is whether it will
interfere with the straddle cable.

can't tell from the picture, but you just might be able to use the knurled nut from the replacement
stop in your link, mounted in a hole you drill through the rack mount and do away with the separate
cable stop altogether. or would that be crzy?
Well... actually not so crazy. I took a look at it tough, and there is no way to make it entirely level so the top hanger is going to be easier. Appreciate the link to the Dia Compe cable stop that is what I would like to use.

And yes I would just bend the mount or fab another and it might work but it would be very inelegant and a pita to make. it would look like the letter "S."
timdow is offline  
Old 05-02-15, 11:23 PM
  #16  
Miles to Go
Thread Starter
 
timdow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 711

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Yeah, I think the TopIt rack has to be mounted on the rack brazeons, not the brake bosses.

You might need a longer straddle cable if you use the TopIt upper bracket, but that is the only issue I anticipate. On the bike where I showed the photo, I did not want to bother going to the store to get the hardware for a different brake straddle cable, so I just bent it up to go under the existing straddle cable that I had.
What was suggested above is that the brake bosses are used for the stabilization straps. The brazeons are used for the bottom mounts of the rack.
timdow is offline  
Old 05-03-15, 08:16 AM
  #17  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,598

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Fork tip eyelets. Mid fork low-rider rack fittings , Cantilever brake bosse's ends P clips, and the fork crown all are useful mounting points
fietsbob is offline  
Old 05-03-15, 05:21 PM
  #18  
Miles to Go
Thread Starter
 
timdow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 711

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Fork tip eyelets. Mid fork low-rider rack fittings , Cantilever brake bosse's ends P clips, and the fork crown all are useful mounting points


The rack will use the braze-ons. But check out how high the stabilization strap need to be. Best photo I could find I know a rim brake bike would have been a better picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20111219a1-485.jpg (58.1 KB, 38 views)
timdow is offline  
Old 05-04-15, 09:11 AM
  #19  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,598

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
ah, pictures, that your Bike? that has disc brakes

Fabricating a piece yourself would make the top mount combination better ..

Maybe Hire someone in SD to do that.. for you if DIY is not in your Background.


Stabilization 3rd point, down from the stem was what The folks Making Pauls Flat bed rack Did (as an inspiration)

Flatbed from Paul Component Engineering it may be possible to pass the brake cable around or through a bracket

So as to retain your Fork piece, Or combine the cable stop and the top to rack Piece..
fietsbob is offline  
Old 05-04-15, 10:55 AM
  #20  
Miles to Go
Thread Starter
 
timdow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 711

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
That is not my bike. I wish that were my bike. After staring at it for what seems like an eternity, I believe I have a solution that will work. I will post picts tomorrow. Thanks for the assistance.
timdow is offline  
Old 05-04-15, 10:32 PM
  #21  
Miles to Go
Thread Starter
 
timdow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 711

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
ah, pictures, that your Bike? that has disc brakes

Fabricating a piece yourself would make the top mount combination better ..

Maybe Hire someone in SD to do that.. for you if DIY is not in your Background.


Stabilization 3rd point, down from the stem was what The folks Making Pauls Flat bed rack Did (as an inspiration)

Flatbed from Paul Component Engineering it may be possible to pass the brake cable around or through a bracket

So as to retain your Fork piece, Or combine the cable stop and the top to rack Piece..
OK finally have a finished product. Took a good bit of fitting, taking off, putting back on, etc. The difficult part to figure out was how to get the bracket out far enough to clear the brake stop. I am glad I came up with this instead of using a higher brake stop.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
WP_20150504_001.jpg (98.6 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg
WP_20150504_002.jpg (97.6 KB, 40 views)
timdow is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
eric044
Bicycle Mechanics
3
09-19-17 09:18 AM
pstock
Bicycle Mechanics
19
12-31-16 11:46 AM
bikebuild
Bicycle Mechanics
6
01-26-11 01:10 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.