Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Touring (https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/)
-   -   Missoula to Sandpoint via 93 and 200 (https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1043883-missoula-sandpoint-via-93-200-a.html)

northerntier 01-04-16 09:36 PM

Missoula to Sandpoint via 93 and 200
 
This looks like a decent road. Anyone been on it?

Thanks,
pete

jamawani 01-04-16 11:29 PM

Many times - the first time in 1987. Of course, the traffic is heavier now.
US 93 has pretty heavy traffic but is mostly four lanes with shoulder.
MT 200 has lighter traffic, but still moderate+ and occasional shoulders.
(I really hate it when there are narrow shoulders, but with rumble strips.)
There are some beautiful river stretches - but these are often where there is no shoulder.
As you get closer to Sandpoint the traffic really picks up - esp. around the lake.
I would urge caution in this last stretch.

Summer traffic count map from Montana DOT:
http://mdt.mt.gov/travinfo/docs/bike_map.pdf

northerntier 01-05-16 07:14 AM

Thanks. This is for the end of the trip in from Seattle, so I guess we'll just deal. The alternative (NT to Whitefish, then south) would probably add a day that we don't have.

mtnbud 01-05-16 08:59 AM


Originally Posted by northerntier (Post 18436377)
Thanks. This is for the end of the trip in from Seattle, so I guess we'll just deal. The alternative (NT to Whitefish, then south) would probably add a day that we don't have.

I rode with a buddy from Thompson Falls To Sandpoint many years ago. My buddy planned the route. I remember we used side roads most of the way. Some of them were a little rough - paved but lots of potholes. It was a wonderful trip. We ate at a pizza place in Hope Idaho called the Ice House that was awesome. This may approximate the route. I 'll see if I can dig up any of my old notes from the trip.

indyfabz 01-05-16 10:07 AM

The ACA route gets off 200 for a while a bit west/north of the junction of 200 and 56. It uses a back way into Clark Fork which is nice, although some of it is unpaved. I think it also uses some smaller roads for a bit between Clark Fork at Sand Point. I will map it for you later if I can find my map at home.

indyfabz 01-05-16 10:17 AM


Originally Posted by mtnbud (Post 18436604)
I rode with a buddy from Thompson Falls To Sandpoint many years ago. My buddy planned the route. I remember we used side roads most of the way. Some of them were a little rough - paved but lots of potholes. It was a wonderful trip. We ate at a pizza place in Hope Idaho called the Ice House that was awesome. This may approximate the route. I 'll see if I can dig up any of my old notes from the trip.

That's definitely part of ACA's route south/east of Clark Fork until Harker Rd. that I took in '99 and '00. From there, I made a left on Harker and crossed the river on Heron. That's because the ACA route takes MT 56 from 200 towards Libby so you have to cross on Heron or you will miss the junction. As noted above, there was a short stretch on River Rd. and/or Clark Fork Rd. that was not paved. It was hard-packed dirt so it wasn't bad.

pdlamb 01-05-16 10:42 AM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 18436798)
As noted above, there was a short stretch on River Rd. and/or Clark Fork Rd. that was not paved. It was hard-packed dirt so it wasn't bad.

I think they were paving that stretch when I went through in '09. 200 (or whatever the ID equivalent is) was pretty pleasant early the next morning into Sandpoint.

arctos 01-05-16 01:12 PM

While heading toward Sandpoint, Idaho on Hwy 200, about two miles outside Thompson Falls, MT take the Blue Slide Road, State hwy 472 which is a paved narrow road that parallels the Clark Fork River and Hwy 200 for about 20 miles and reconnects with Hwy 200 just above Trout Creek.

There is a gravel road from Trout Creek to Heron on the West side of the river that works as an alternative to 200.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:01 AM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.