Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

'Hannibal' tour from Barcelona to Rome

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

'Hannibal' tour from Barcelona to Rome

Old 03-14-16, 06:01 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: North Queensland, Australia
Posts: 172

Bikes: '93 Cadex CFM3, '84 Repco Nishiki Olympic 12,'87 Peugeot Montblanc, '09 Giant Trance X1, '13 De Rosa R838

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
'Hannibal' tour from Barcelona to Rome

Hi all,
Planning my first bike tour, and I want it to be in Europe. I came across a company which offers a tour from Barcelona to Rome, apparently which roughly follows the route taken by Hannibal and his elephants. Here is the organised tour-
Hannibal Bike Tour - Cycling Barcelona to Rome
Way out of my price range, and TBH I prefer to do things by myself anyway.
Has anybody done this before? The website gives no info on day-to-day stops, accommodation etc. The closest thing that I could find to a map is here-
Riding to Rome in the Footsteps of Hannibal ? The Route
I am assuming that there is a day's ride between each point marked on the map.
I would do the route in reverse, starting in Rome. If I play my cards right I would be in the south of France around the time when le tour passes by, and I would consider taking myself from Barcelona over to the Camino de Santiago and end up near the top of Portugal.
I would not be in a rush, and I am not anal about planning, just want to ask here if it is doable without an organised tour group. I would be looking for budget accommodation day by day.
What do you think?
Cheers
Rest_assured is offline  
Old 03-14-16, 08:50 PM
  #2  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,984
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 74 Posts
Sure, it's very doable without an organized tour. I've toured along parts of that route either on my own or with friends. I hope you're a strong climber, because there's barely a flat day along that route. However, it would be a very pretty route.
axolotl is offline  
Old 03-15-16, 01:31 AM
  #3  
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Uncertain
Posts: 8,651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I haven't done that specific route, but it looks like a lot of fun if, as axolotl says, you can climb. And doing it solo would be no problem, there's lots of accommodation to be had along the way. Availabilty is likely to be good unless you're choosing to make the trip in July or August, in which case book ahead.
chasm54 is offline  
Old 03-15-16, 02:54 AM
  #4  
imi
aka Timi
 
imi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Posts: 3,155

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 78 Posts
Looks good.I've ridden the med coast from Barcelona to Rome which is flatter (well except for crossing the pyrenees, and the tail end of the maritime alps) has the sea, but is very built up and lots of traffic... So the inland route looks like a great idea... Will be a lot of ups and downs as mentioned. I've been through a whole bunch of places on that route, but never followed it as such.

Camping at "camping la ferme" or "camping municipal" is the cheapest way to go organised.

I wouldn't worry about "stages" as towns are so close together, and you'll find any number of campsites or other accomadation. I use google maps and just search for "campsite near sometown". Just outside of larger towns you'll pass mega supermarkets multiple times a day, so that's not a problem. Some people avoid tap water and buy bottled (which is cheaper the bigger the supermarket), I usually drink whatever's in the tap in europe.

The Camino de Santiago(s) are stunningly beautiful.

So, is it doable without an organised tour? A resounding "Absolutely!"
imi is offline  
Old 03-16-16, 02:51 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: North Queensland, Australia
Posts: 172

Bikes: '93 Cadex CFM3, '84 Repco Nishiki Olympic 12,'87 Peugeot Montblanc, '09 Giant Trance X1, '13 De Rosa R838

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by imi
Looks good.I've ridden the med coast from Barcelona to Rome which is flatter (well except for crossing the pyrenees, and the tail end of the maritime alps) has the sea, but is very built up and lots of traffic... So the inland route looks like a great idea... Will be a lot of ups and downs as mentioned. I've been through a whole bunch of places on that route, but never followed it as such.

Camping at "camping la ferme" or "camping municipal" is the cheapest way to go organised.

I wouldn't worry about "stages" as towns are so close together, and you'll find any number of campsites or other accomadation. I use google maps and just search for "campsite near sometown". Just outside of larger towns you'll pass mega supermarkets multiple times a day, so that's not a problem. Some people avoid tap water and buy bottled (which is cheaper the bigger the supermarket), I usually drink whatever's in the tap in europe.

The Camino de Santiago(s) are stunningly beautiful.

So, is it doable without an organised tour? A resounding "Absolutely!"
Thanks a lot for the advice.
I booked the flight yesterday, and last night was knocked off my bike on the way to the grocery store. I have a badly sprained ankle and broken bone in my heel... it will take 3 months to recover properly, then I will be on my way. A bit dejected, but no point getting too worked up about it. Thanks again for the tips!
Rest_assured is offline  
Old 03-16-16, 02:53 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: North Queensland, Australia
Posts: 172

Bikes: '93 Cadex CFM3, '84 Repco Nishiki Olympic 12,'87 Peugeot Montblanc, '09 Giant Trance X1, '13 De Rosa R838

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thai airways were great about it BTW, changed the dates without a fee.
Rest_assured is offline  
Old 03-16-16, 02:55 PM
  #7  
imi
aka Timi
 
imi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Posts: 3,155

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 78 Posts
'Hannibal' tour from Barcelona to Rome

Wow! Sorry to hear about the foot
Here's wishing you a speedy recovery and a fantastic tour!

Edit: btw, when will you be in France? The football (soccer) euro cup will be played there between 10th june - 10th july, making for a fantastic atmosphere in the whole of the country... well, in the whole of europe actually. I'll be popping down to ride around, watch a couple of games and have a couple of beers at whatever village bar I happen to end up every evening. Bring your national soccer jersey and wear it all the time... It becomes more or less a uniform here

Last edited by imi; 03-16-16 at 03:05 PM.
imi is offline  
Old 03-16-16, 06:03 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: North Queensland, Australia
Posts: 172

Bikes: '93 Cadex CFM3, '84 Repco Nishiki Olympic 12,'87 Peugeot Montblanc, '09 Giant Trance X1, '13 De Rosa R838

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by imi
Wow! Sorry to hear about the foot
Here's wishing you a speedy recovery and a fantastic tour!

Edit: btw, when will you be in France? The football (soccer) euro cup will be played there between 10th june - 10th july, making for a fantastic atmosphere in the whole of the country... well, in the whole of europe actually. I'll be popping down to ride around, watch a couple of games and have a couple of beers at whatever village bar I happen to end up every evening. Bring your national soccer jersey and wear it all the time... It becomes more or less a uniform here
Cheers, I'' remember that. My new flight to Rome is on the 14th June. I expect I will stick around for the whole 90 days permitted by a tourist visa (or apply for a 'working holiday' permit). I expect I will find myself around the south of France in early-mid July, so that could work nicely!
Rest_assured is offline  
Old 03-16-16, 09:17 PM
  #9  
imi
aka Timi
 
imi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Posts: 3,155

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 78 Posts
'Hannibal' tour from Barcelona to Rome

Cool! I'm presuming you're from the USA. If you don't have one, do buy a USA football shirt. The new blue away shirt looks really cool btw
https://www.footyheadlines.com/2014/12/nike-usa-2015-away-kit.html?m=1

It doesn't matter that it's a european cup, having a shirt will be a conversation opener, and it really is the accoutrement de rigueur.
imi is offline  
Old 03-17-16, 10:06 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: North Queensland, Australia
Posts: 172

Bikes: '93 Cadex CFM3, '84 Repco Nishiki Olympic 12,'87 Peugeot Montblanc, '09 Giant Trance X1, '13 De Rosa R838

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by imi
Cool! I'm presuming you're from the USA. If you don't have one, do buy a USA football shirt. The new blue away shirt looks really cool btw
Nike USA 2015 Away Kit Released - Footy Headlines

It doesn't matter that it's a european cup, having a shirt will be a conversation opener, and it really is the accoutrement de rigueur.
Actually, I'm an aussie.
so would be more like this:
Australia 14-15 World Cup Home Shirt (Cahill 4) [578177-702-43622] - 78,68$ Teamzo.com

'Socceroos' is a pretty terrible name for a soccer team imho....
Rest_assured is offline  
Old 03-18-16, 01:42 AM
  #11  
imi
aka Timi
 
imi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Posts: 3,155

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Rest_assured
'Socceroos' is a pretty terrible name for a soccer team imho....
Ouch, yeah, hadn't heard that one before... It's better than "Foot-Bill Platypuses" I suppose

Last edited by imi; 03-18-16 at 02:19 AM.
imi is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
spinnaker
Touring
39
06-29-18 02:47 PM
iconicflux
Touring
2
06-06-15 06:02 AM
badger_biker
Great Lakes
17
02-09-11 07:44 AM
raybo
Touring
1
08-04-10 05:48 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.