Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

What do you use to find a Host at Warmshowers(dot)org???

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

What do you use to find a Host at Warmshowers(dot)org???

Old 04-11-16, 10:37 AM
  #1  
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 898

Bikes: Surly LHT 26in 52cm 2008

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What do you use to find a Host at Warmshowers(dot)org???

What do you use to find a Host at Warmshowers.org when your on a Bike Touring Trips???
https://www.warmshowers.org/

Laptop???
Smartphone???
Tablet???
Chromebook???


I am going to use a Acer Chromebook 11in or LG K7 Smartphone to find a Host Warmshowers.org on my Bike Touring Trips in Southern California, Oregon, Arizona!

Acer Chromebook 11in
9hr battery
3.3lbs with power cord
Need Internet to Run the OS Chrome


I use Free Wi-Fi at Chick-Fil-A, Starbucks, Taco Bell, KFC,
Panera Bread, Library and also a Laundry place that offers
free Wi-Fi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ACER-CHROMEBOOK-11in.jpg (32.9 KB, 7 views)
Biketouringhobo is offline  
Old 04-15-16, 01:11 PM
  #2  
Rod & Judy
 
gracehowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Montrose, CO
Posts: 567

Bikes: Specialized S-works E-5, Davinci joint venture , CoMotion Pangea

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Smartphone, that is because I don't have a better option.
R
gracehowler is offline  
Old 04-15-16, 02:48 PM
  #3  
Banned.
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,155

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Warmshowers app on my iPhone 6. Although I've only used it a few times during ​a trip. Usually I have my host set up before l leave and just use my desktop at home.
Ty0604 is offline  
Old 04-15-16, 08:08 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
adventurepdx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 1,027
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Ty0604
The Warmshowers app on my iPhone 6. Although I've only used it a few times during ​a trip. Usually I have my host set up before l leave and just use my desktop at home.
I also do most of my Warmshowers contacting at home on the desktop, but the mobile app for either iPhone or Android is pretty handy, esp. if you're on a long enough tour, or plans change.

On handy feature on the app is the ability to "save" the info of hosts you contact. This way it's all easily accessible, and also can be accessed while offline. Though me being me, I still tend to write down that info in my notebook just in case.
adventurepdx is offline  
Old 04-16-16, 09:21 AM
  #5  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,598

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I've never used any lodging I needed a Computer and the internet to find.


Isn't it reciprocal You have to offer to be a Host and not just a User?

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-17-16 at 01:22 PM.
fietsbob is offline  
Old 04-16-16, 11:17 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
adventurepdx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 1,027
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Isn't it reciprocal You have to offer to be a Host and not just a User?
Yes, that's the idea. But from their website:
https://www.warmshowers.org/faq#t23n3798
All members agree to host others either now or in the future, but for some members hosting may be in years or even decades in their future.

So the idea is that you'll reciprocate at some point down the road. Warmshowers understands that it'd be hard for someone on a years-long around-the-world trip to host anytime soon.
adventurepdx is offline  
Old 04-16-16, 11:45 AM
  #7  
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 898

Bikes: Surly LHT 26in 52cm 2008

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Isn't it reciprocal You have to offer to be a Host and not just a User?
I can't host where i live at this time and i am staying with a friend and i only looking for host!
and i tried to Host at my Stealth Camping Spot in Pacific Beach in San Diego, CA and i had it with a week notice and i had 3 replys on warmshowers website for Oceanside, CA but i am in Riverside, CA to may 3rd 2016 and then i will be in Myrtle Beach, SC for the summer
Biketouringhobo is offline  
Old 04-16-16, 03:23 PM
  #8  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,598

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
it'd be hard for someone on a years-long around-the-world trip to host anytime soon.
I'd say someone who is not going to reciprocate, by choice as You say, , would be not participating fairly.
fietsbob is offline  
Old 04-17-16, 11:26 AM
  #9  
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 898

Bikes: Surly LHT 26in 52cm 2008

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
warmshowers

Originally Posted by fietsbob
I'd say someone who is not going to reciprocate, by choice as You say, , would be not participating fairly.
If i was renting a Room 4 Rent or a SRO Hotel in San Diego/Oceanside, CA
and SRO=Single Room Occupancy in SRO Hotels you can't have over night guest

Last edited by Biketouringhobo; 04-17-16 at 11:27 AM. Reason: fixed woeds
Biketouringhobo is offline  
Old 04-17-16, 12:02 PM
  #10  
Banned.
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,155

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't host only because my 15-year-old sister lives with me. I did until she moved in. Stopped hosting on Couchsurfing and Warmshowers when she moved in. You shouldn't be forced to host because someone has hosted you. Circumstances can change that.
Ty0604 is offline  
Old 04-17-16, 12:43 PM
  #11  
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 898

Bikes: Surly LHT 26in 52cm 2008

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ty0604
I don't host only because my 15-year-old sister lives with me. I did until she moved in. Stopped hosting on Couchsurfing and Warmshowers when she moved in. You shouldn't be forced to host because someone has hosted you. Circumstances can change that.

Very true
Biketouringhobo is offline  
Old 04-17-16, 12:51 PM
  #12  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,598

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
https://www.hihostels.com/ I used Hostels more in Europe because there were More there.

California Coast I was leading a tour group put together By the American Youth Hostel organization

and the group camped when they were between them. this was circa 1985..

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-17-16 at 01:25 PM.
fietsbob is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
biker222
Touring
16
02-05-14 12:34 PM
Cychologist
Fifty Plus (50+)
2
06-03-12 02:37 PM
scaryseth
General Cycling Discussion
25
01-05-12 10:45 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.