Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Complete "check register" of money spent on cross country trip... Interested?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.
View Poll Results: Interested?
Yes
34.62%
No
65.38%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Complete "check register" of money spent on cross country trip... Interested?

Old 04-23-16, 04:23 PM
  #26  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 16,771
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by shibbyman23
Not on this forum. And that is the point.
Rowan is offline  
Old 04-23-16, 05:00 PM
  #27  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use an app called Daytum to track all sorts of daily data points including our cycling stuff. Free, easy to use.
jdamelio is offline  
Old 04-23-16, 05:37 PM
  #28  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 109

Bikes: 2014 Brodie Argus

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
Not on this forum. And that is the point.
Well I just posted it to this forum. I see no need to have another sample as they are all going to vary so your expenditures will never match anothers.
shibbyman23 is offline  
Old 04-23-16, 06:14 PM
  #29  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 16,771
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by shibbyman23
Well I just posted it to this forum. I see no need to have another sample as they are all going to vary so your expenditures will never match anothers.
No you haven't. You've posted a link.
Rowan is offline  
Old 04-23-16, 07:01 PM
  #30  
Senior Member
 
alan s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 6,977
Liked 190 Times in 129 Posts
The NOs have it by more than 2 to 1.
alan s is offline  
Old 04-23-16, 07:46 PM
  #31  
nun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,670

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
You and others have cultivated a vigilante-style culture here with several posters. I don't need to read or reread any of his previous threads. He was admonished by the mods as I recall in one instance.

The idea he has posted here has merit. If he posts what he says he will, good. If he doesn't, it's no loss, and maybe someone else will pick it up.

Moving on...
The financials of a tour are generally interesting and pointers to great and inexpensive places to stay are always welcome. However, a complete check register would be too detailed iMHO and a summary of general costs and average expenditures would be more useful.

As to the "troll" point, I sympathize with Miele Man in this case as the OP has done some pretty bad things, like taking someone's instagram feed and their bike and claiming it as his own, even going to the lengths of editing the photograph to fit in with his "trolling fantasy". So I approach every one of the OP's post with total skepticism. Still, people should not be hounded and their posts should be judged on the merits, but with a full understanding of the OP's pervious behavior.

Last edited by nun; 04-23-16 at 09:16 PM.
nun is offline  
Old 04-23-16, 08:39 PM
  #32  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 109

Bikes: 2014 Brodie Argus

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
No you haven't. You've posted a link.

A year of bicycle touring expenses by Shirine Taylor...

Here is the detailed breakdown from my last year on the road:

Flights
-855$ (San Diego to Delhi)
-200$ (For my bike to fly)

Visas
-0$ (USA)
-110$ (India- three months)
-280$ (Nepal- six months)
-90$ (India- three months)

Pacific Coast USA: 4.5$/day

-Food: 127$
-Lodging (more like tent space): 22$
-Bike maintenance: 0$
-Medical: 0$
-Other: 25$
(Bike mirror and pepper spray)

Total: 174$
Days: 38

India: 6.55$/day

-Food: 225$
-Lodging: 200$
-Bike maintenance: 15 cents
-Medical: 15$
-Transport: 110$
(High since I had expensive taxi and bus rides to get to Ladakh, my starting point)
-Essentials: 15$
(Maps, gas, ATM fees, passport photos, shampoo…)
-Nonessential: 50$
(Clothes, internet, nose piercing…)
-Permits: 22$

Total: 635$
Days: 97

Nepal: 4.43$/day

-Food: 368$
-Lodging: 216$
-Bike maintenance: 14$
-Medical: 3$
-Transport: 68$
-Essentials: 44$
(ATM fees, fix shoes, soap, toilet paper, shampoo…)
-Nonessentials: 39$
(Gifts, clothes, internet…)
-Permits: 32$

Total: 784$
Days: 177

India
-330$
(Though I haven’t finished my time in India, here is how much I have spent so far.)


Better?
shibbyman23 is offline  
Old 04-26-16, 11:46 AM
  #33  
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,155

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
Not on this forum. And that is the point.
Thanks! That's my point exactly.

Originally Posted by jdamelio
I use an app called Daytum to track all sorts of daily data points including our cycling stuff. Free, easy to use.
I'll have to check it out

Originally Posted by alan s
The NOs have it by more than 2 to 1.
Then the "no's" can simply bypass the thread and not click on it. Doesn't bother me!

Originally Posted by nun
The financials of a tour are generally interesting and pointers to great and inexpensive places to stay are always welcome. However, a complete check register would be too detailed iMHO and a summary of general costs and average expenditures would be more useful.
Good point. I'll sway away from listing everything on here and instead compile a summary as I post photos from my trip. I'll break it down to a few categories. Food, camping, entertainment and miscellaneous (bike repairs, toiletries etc!) - I'll probably post photos a few times a week. Just as service allows. The main point of the thread will be to keep people updated on my trip and to post photos. The check register will just be an added part at the bottom of each post with a running total.
Ty0604 is offline  
Old 04-26-16, 11:47 AM
  #34  
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,155

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shibbyman23
A year of bicycle touring expenses by Shirine Taylor...

Better?
No. The trip they did and mine are vastly different. Can't compare the two. I'm not trying to live off of $5 a day like they are. I'm sure I could but I'd rather be comfortable and spend more than do that!
Ty0604 is offline  
Old 04-26-16, 11:56 AM
  #35  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here is one of the screens from Daytum. I use it to track a whole host of things thru the year and being somewhat a tech/data/cycling geek I'm using it to track all of our miles this year. I'll add a expenses categry and start tracking items as well just to keep track.
Attached Images
File Type: png
IMG_4419.PNG (91.8 KB, 16 views)
jdamelio is offline  
Old 04-26-16, 12:07 PM
  #36  
Senior Member
 
alan s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 6,977
Liked 190 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Ty0604
Then the "no's" can simply bypass the thread and not click on it. Doesn't bother me!
Maybe the Donald is right, and the system is rigged. More than 2/3s of the voters so far have said "no." Now you are telling us we are going to be disenfranchised?
alan s is offline  
Old 04-26-16, 12:14 PM
  #37  
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,155

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
Maybe the Donald is right, and the system is rigged. More than 2/3s of the voters so far have said "no." Now you are telling us we are going to be disenfranchised?
Originally I was going to post as a separate thread from my trip thread. Now they're just going to be combined. There's enough people interested to add it to my trip thread but not enough to start a separate thread.

If you're not interested in the register then stop reading when I get to that part in the thread. If you're not interested in the thread at all then keep scrolling
Ty0604 is offline  
Old 04-26-16, 12:19 PM
  #38  
Senior Member
 
alan s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 6,977
Liked 190 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Ty0604
Originally I was going to post as a separate thread from my trip thread. Now they're just going to be combined. There's enough people interested to add it to my trip thread but not enough to start a separate thread.

If you're not interested in the register then stop reading when I get to that part in the thread. If you're not interested in the thread at all then keep scrolling
Well, you are the one who set up the poll, and now are choosing to ignore the unambiguous result.
alan s is offline  
Old 04-26-16, 12:30 PM
  #39  
Senior Member
 
Doug64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Oregon
Posts: 6,501
Liked 855 Times in 442 Posts
Originally Posted by Ty0604
Originally I was going to post as a separate thread from my trip thread. Now they're just going to be combined. There's enough people interested to add it to my trip thread but not enough to start a separate thread.

If you're not interested in the register then stop reading when I get to that part in the thread. If you're not interested in the thread at all then keep scrolling
There are many better options for posting a "trip" thread than on a forum format. What is the purpose of the blog site that you have set up? Crazyguyonabike is designed just for that purpose, and does it very well. Are you going to have any time to do your "awareness" activities?
Doug64 is offline  
Old 04-26-16, 12:33 PM
  #40  
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,155

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
Well, you are the one who set up the poll, and now are choosing to ignore the unambiguous result.
The pole was if I should start a separate thread with a complete register. I'm not starting a separate thread with a complete register. I'm combining threads with a summary register at the bottom of a thread that I'm going to start when I leave on my trip.

With that said, only 13 people out 330,000+ users voted. That's ~0.0033%. I wouldn't call that "unambiguous."

Last edited by Ty0604; 04-26-16 at 12:37 PM.
Ty0604 is offline  
Old 04-26-16, 12:37 PM
  #41  
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,155

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
There are many better options for posting a "trip" thread than on a forum format. What is the purpose of the blog site that you have set up? Crazyguyonabike is designed just for that purpose, and does it very well. Are you going to have any time to do your "awareness" activities?
I'll have plenty of time. I'll have more time on tour than I do now and still get plenty of activities in! Doesn't take but five minutes to post an update here every so often. You're right; there are better options. But this is the "touring" forum and is much easier for people to click here and read it instead of going to my website. My website is for donations for FHCRC and will contain much more details reports (mileage log etc) for friends and family or for those who are interested in reading detailed reports. The one here will be scaled down quite significantly. I'm not a fan of CGOAB. Just my personal opinion though! As I've said, you're free to scroll on past the thread. No one is forcing you to read it.
Ty0604 is offline  
Old 04-26-16, 12:43 PM
  #42  
Senior Member
 
alan s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 6,977
Liked 190 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Ty0604
The pole was if I should start a separate thread with a complete register. I'm not starting a separate thread with a complete register. I'm combining threads with a summary register at the bottom of a thread that I'm going to start when I leave on my trip.

With that said, only 13 people out 330,000+ users voted. That's ~0.0033%. I wouldn't call that "unambiguous."
Ohhhhhh, now I understand. It was to see whether you should start a separate thread. Perhaps the subject line and first sentence could be a little clearer next time?

Subject: Complete "check register" of money spent on cross country trip... Interested?

1st Sentence: Would anyone be interested in a complete "check register" of money spent on a cross country trip?
alan s is offline  
Old 04-26-16, 12:49 PM
  #43  
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,155

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
Ohhhhhh, now I understand. It was to see whether you should start a separate thread. Perhaps the subject line and first sentence could be a little clearer next time?

Subject: Complete "check register" of money spent on cross country trip... Interested?

1st Sentence: Would anyone be interested in a complete "check register" of money spent on a cross country trip?
I'm often told that I'm not always clear. Sorry. I don't do it on purpose.

But yes, it was to see if I should start a separate thread in addition to my trip thread. Which I'm not. I'm combining the two with a scaled down register at the end of the post.

Basically it'll have a basic trip report (road conditions, campground info etc) with some photos and a register at the bottom: "May 1 to May 8; Food $$ Camping $$$ etc" I'll have a more detailed report in my journal and anyone who wants more detailed information can PM me so I'm not posting a bunch of irrelevant information for the general user like you.

Hope that clears it up!
Ty0604 is offline  
Old 04-26-16, 12:57 PM
  #44  
Senior Member
 
alan s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 6,977
Liked 190 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Ty0604
I'm often told that I'm not always clear. Sorry. I don't do it on purpose.

But yes, it was to see if I should start a separate thread in addition to my trip thread. Which I'm not. I'm combining the two with a scaled down register at the end of the post.

Basically it'll have a basic trip report (road conditions, campground info etc) with some photos and a register at the bottom: "May 1 to May 8; Food $$ Camping $$$ etc" I'll have a more detailed report in my journal and anyone who wants more detailed information can PM me so I'm not posting a bunch of irrelevant information for the general user like you.

Hope that clears it up!
Now that you have cleared that up, it appears you currently have a strong majority in favor of NOT starting another thread, and should continue along with this thread only, as you are doing now. Had I fully understood the poll, I might have chosen "yes" or not voted at all, but that's the way it goes sometimes.
alan s is offline  
Old 04-26-16, 01:04 PM
  #45  
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,155

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
Now that you have cleared that up, it appears you currently have a strong majority in favor of NOT starting another thread, and should continue along with this thread only, as you are doing now. Had I fully understood the poll, I might have chosen "yes" or not voted at all, but that's the way it goes sometimes.
Thanks for the input. I wont be posting my trip report on this thread because it's a poll thread and confusing. A lot of people wont click on this thread because of the title, which has nothing to do with my intended thread of a trip report with photos etc. I don't consider ~0.0033% of users voting to be the "majority." I'm still only starting one new combined thread and not two though. Although only after determining this was the easiest route to go.

I hope you check in on the new thread after I leave for my ride!
Ty0604 is offline  
Old 04-26-16, 01:58 PM
  #46  
Senior Member
 
alan s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 6,977
Liked 190 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Ty0604
Thanks for the input. I wont be posting my trip report on this thread because it's a poll thread and confusing. A lot of people wont click on this thread because of the title, which has nothing to do with my intended thread of a trip report with photos etc. I don't consider ~0.0033% of users voting to be the "majority." I'm still only starting one new combined thread and not two though. Although only after determining this was the easiest route to go.

I hope you check in on the new thread after I leave for my ride!
Now I see where you are going with this. I'm sticking with my original "no" vote then (i.e., NO to starting another thread). One is more than enough. BTW, in determining the results of a poll, you should be looking at the number of actual voters for or against a proposition, rather than the entire universe of possible voters. Otherwise, your poll is meaningless. Can you imagine requiring a majority of the voting population to vote for the president of the U.S? It would never happen, unless you made it a crime to not vote, as is the case in certain countries.
alan s is offline  
Old 04-26-16, 02:19 PM
  #47  
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,155

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
Now I see where you are going with this. I'm sticking with my original "no" vote then (i.e., NO to starting another thread). One is more than enough. BTW, in determining the results of a poll, you should be looking at the number of actual voters for or against a proposition, rather than the entire universe of possible voters. Otherwise, your poll is meaningless. Can you imagine requiring a majority of the voting population to vote for the president of the U.S? It would never happen, unless you made it a crime to not vote, as is the case in certain countries.
This is a poll thread, not a discussion thread. Users see it as a question and have no reason to click on it cause there's nothing to indicate there's a trip report/photos in the thread.

Again, ~0.0033% is such a minimal percentage and nowhere near enough to base an answer off of it. Can you imagine having 330K voters and making a decision off of 13 votes? No one who knows anything about statistics would consider ~0.0033% of voters enough to determine an answer.

If you're not interested in the thread that's fine. You can scroll on past it.

Cheers
Ty0604 is offline  
Old 04-26-16, 02:35 PM
  #48  
Senior Member
 
alan s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 6,977
Liked 190 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Ty0604
This is a poll thread, not a discussion thread. Users see it as a question and have no reason to click on it cause there's nothing to indicate there's a trip report/photos in the thread.

Again, ~0.0033% is such a minimal percentage and nowhere near enough to base an answer off of it. Can you imagine having 330K voters and making a decision off of 13 votes? No one who knows anything about statistics would consider ~0.0033% of voters enough to determine an answer.

If you're not interested in the thread that's fine. You can scroll on past it.

Cheers
Here's how I would have phrased the poll:

I am going on a bike trip at some point in the future and will be starting a thread about it on BF. In addition to that thread, do you want me to start a separate thread about how much money I am spending on said trip? Y/N

As an aside, just do what you want and see if anyone is interested at that point.
alan s is offline  
Old 04-26-16, 02:55 PM
  #49  
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,155

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
Here's how I would have phrased the poll:

I am going on a bike trip at some point in the future and will be starting a thread about it on BF. In addition to that thread, do you want me to start a separate thread about how much money I am spending on said trip? Y/N

As an aside, just do what you want and see if anyone is interested at that point.
Thanks for the feedback. I'll do my best to be more clear in the future
Ty0604 is offline  
Old 04-27-16, 07:33 PM
  #50  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 106
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I plan to start my ride to Argentina this weekend. While getting some immunizations the other day, the Doctor asked what my trip would cost. I told him I had no idea. I considered keeping track, much like you are planning, but realized that would be way too tedious on a trip which is supposed to be fun. I'm going to just look on my credit card statement when I get back in October. I'll add up all the credit card purchases, plus ATM withdrawls, and have a total cost.
pataspen is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.