Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Complete "check register" of money spent on cross country trip... Interested?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.
View Poll Results: Interested?
Yes
34.62%
No
65.38%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Complete "check register" of money spent on cross country trip... Interested?

Old 04-19-16, 10:18 PM
  #1  
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,155

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Complete "check register" of money spent on cross country trip... Interested?

Would anyone be interested in a complete "check register" of money spent on a cross country trip? I'm going to keep track of what I spent in my own notes but considering sharing it if a fair amount of people are interested. Would probably post as a weekly basis or as service allows. I leave May 1 and will be gone until late August as I ride from Portland, Oregon to Portland, Maine.

Something along the lines of what's below. I'm sure it's been done before and if not enough people care I wont bother.

Example
Sunday May 1
Fred Meyers $10.00 (food)
Camping $5.00
Day total $15.00
Trip total $15.00
Ty0604 is offline  
Old 04-19-16, 11:47 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
RedandBlack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 133

Bikes: '14 Surly LHT

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would be interested. I'm doing something similar in order to plan for the long term and see where I can make cuts and still be comfortable. However, Day by Day may be little too much work with too many irregularities. Maybe a Week by Week? Also, I'm setting out on May 1st as well. Happy May Day!
RedandBlack is offline  
Old 04-20-16, 12:25 AM
  #3  
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,155

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RedandBlack
I would be interested. I'm doing something similar in order to plan for the long term and see where I can make cuts and still be comfortable. However, Day by Day may be little too much work with too many irregularities. Maybe a Week by Week? Also, I'm setting out on May 1st as well. Happy May Day!
My plan was to do day by day for my own records and then post here once a week or as service allows. Maybe not even as detailed as above... Just "May 1 - $15.00" and so on without going into details on what I spent the money on? But if I hit a spike (May 2 - $140.00 for example) then explain what happened to cause as such.

What's your tour? Happy May Day! 11 days!
Ty0604 is offline  
Old 04-20-16, 05:30 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 39,687
Liked 16,120 Times in 7,568 Posts
I gave up trying to keep track. Too much of a chore to keep track of every single expenditure (which could be four or more in one day) and the exact amount. And personally, I really don't care how much I spend, so I certainly don't care what others spend. People tour differently.

Last edited by indyfabz; 04-20-16 at 05:37 AM.
indyfabz is offline  
Old 04-20-16, 06:02 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 16,771
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
I would be interested. There are enough new threads posted here every new cycle-touring season inquiring about what it costs to tour, to justify a thread like that suggested.
Rowan is offline  
Old 04-20-16, 08:38 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Happy Feet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Left Coast, Canada
Posts: 5,126
Liked 1,315 Times in 707 Posts
If not week by week then at trips end as a recap of expenses like a gear list or mileage log. I could see two lines Food/Lodging with a third possible other to be noted (equipment, entertainment, fees etc).
Happy Feet is offline  
Old 04-20-16, 08:41 AM
  #7  
Galveston County Texas
 
10 Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In The Wind
Posts: 33,270

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Liked 1,253 Times in 629 Posts
Cash and credit cards work best.

Some places do not take credit cards.
__________________
Fred "The Real Fred"

10 Wheels is offline  
Old 04-20-16, 10:00 AM
  #8  
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,155

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I gave up trying to keep track. Too much of a chore to keep track of every single expenditure (which could be four or more in one day) and the exact amount. And personally, I really don't care how much I spend, so I certainly don't care what others spend. People tour differently.
I can see it being a bit of a hassle. I'm not on a budget but am trying to do it for as little as possible since any left over funds will be going to my charity.

Originally Posted by Rowan
I would be interested. There are enough new threads posted here every new cycle-touring season inquiring about what it costs to tour, to justify a thread like that suggested.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
If not week by week then at trips end as a recap of expenses like a gear list or mileage log. I could see two lines Food/Lodging with a third possible other to be noted (equipment, entertainment, fees etc).
That's a good idea too! I'll be posting a recap at the end of my trip as well. MapMyRide links to my website so anyone who's interested will be able to see the mileage day by day. When I save it on my phone it'll automatically upload to my website. As service allows anyway. I like your idea of the 3 lines.

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Cash and credit cards work best.

Some places do not take credit cards.
I plan to have some cash on me at all times. I switched to a bank that refunds ATM fees for this exact reason.
Ty0604 is offline  
Old 04-20-16, 11:04 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 39,687
Liked 16,120 Times in 7,568 Posts
Originally Posted by Ty0604
I can see it being a bit of a hassle. I'm not on a budget but am trying to do it for as little as possible since any left over funds will be going to my charity.

I plan to have some cash on me at all times. I switched to a bank that refunds ATM fees for this exact reason.
When I tried it in 2014 during a 10-day trip I didn't even make it past the second day.

Small bills, especially ones, can be useful. For example, you may find yourself at a U.S.F.S. or BLM campground where the fee is $6 and there is only an Iron Ranger.
indyfabz is offline  
Old 04-20-16, 11:09 AM
  #10  
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,155

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
When I tried it in 2014 during a 10-day trip I didn't even make it past the second day.

Small bills, especially ones, can be useful. For example, you may find yourself at a U.S.F.S. or BLM campground where the fee is $6 and there is only an Iron Ranger.
I'm starting out with $30 in cash. $20 in 5's and $10 in 1's.
Ty0604 is offline  
Old 04-20-16, 11:21 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
RedandBlack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 133

Bikes: '14 Surly LHT

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ty0604
My plan was to do day by day for my own records and then post here once a week or as service allows. Maybe not even as detailed as above... Just "May 1 - $15.00" and so on without going into details on what I spent the money on? But if I hit a spike (May 2 - $140.00 for example) then explain what happened to cause as such.

What's your tour? Happy May Day! 11 days!
I'm biking the West until I get tired. The basic plan is the ACA Grand Canyon Connector to the Western Express to the Great Divide to the Northern Tier to the Sierra Cascade. I'm doing it for the pleasure, but I'm also hoping to raise a bit of money and awareness for my union along the way (https://www.youcaring.com/industrial...e-world-557602).
RedandBlack is offline  
Old 04-20-16, 01:29 PM
  #12  
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,155

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RedandBlack
I'm biking the West until I get tired. The basic plan is the ACA Grand Canyon Connector to the Western Express to the Great Divide to the Northern Tier to the Sierra Cascade. I'm doing it for the pleasure, but I'm also hoping to raise a bit of money and awareness for my union along the way (https://www.youcaring.com/industrial...e-world-557602).
Not having a schedule is nice. I don't really have one either. I have to be back by 9/30 but if I haven't finished before then something went terribly wrong.
Ty0604 is offline  
Old 04-20-16, 03:09 PM
  #13  
 
BigAura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chapin, SC
Posts: 3,423

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Ty0604
I'm not on a budget but am trying to do it for as little as possible since any left over funds will be going to my charity.
Huh? Are you raising money for a charity or a bike trip?
BigAura is offline  
Old 04-20-16, 03:24 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,624

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Based on other thread you've run, don't forget to budget for fines for illegal camping and fraudulent documents.

Cheers
Miele Man is offline  
Old 04-20-16, 03:46 PM
  #15  
-
 
seeker333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,865

Bikes: yes!

Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Ty0604
Would anyone be interested in a complete "check register" of money spent on a cross country trip?
Anyone who wants an idea of touring costs can spend an hour at CGOAB and just check the last couple pages of journals, where people frequently itemize costs.

Bicycle touring costs between 7 to >100 USD per day depending on your lodging, food choices, transport to/from touring destination, etc. 7USD/day was Heidi Domeisen's food cost, as she carried a good bit of food purchased in bulk on her trike. Few people have the discipline, energy or inclination to carry around 20 lbs of bulk food requiring cooking nearly every meal to reduce cost. People eating out of C-stores and restaurants regularly can expect to spend >25USD/day. If you free camp nearly the whole time, eat cheap and have no transport or extraordinary costs you can expect to spend probably no less than $20 per day, and that won't necessarily be a fun time.

BTW, I doubt I am the only one who remembers your tall tales here in Touring forum (special Yellowstone permits, etc) so everything you write is suspect IMO. I have no interest in reading expense reports from an imaginary bicycle trip.
seeker333 is offline  
Old 04-20-16, 04:11 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 16,771
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by seeker333
Anyone who wants an idea of touring costs can spend an hour at CGOAB and just check the last couple pages of journals, where people frequently itemize costs.

Bicycle touring costs between 7 to >100 USD per day depending on your lodging, food choices, transport to/from touring destination, etc. 7USD/day was Heidi Domeisen's food cost, as she carried a good bit of food purchased in bulk on her trike. Few people have the discipline, energy or inclination to carry around 20 lbs of bulk food requiring cooking nearly every meal to reduce cost. People eating out of C-stores and restaurants regularly can expect to spend >25USD/day. If you free camp nearly the whole time, eat cheap and have no transport or extraordinary costs you can expect to spend probably no less than $20 per day, and that won't necessarily be a fun time.

BTW, I doubt I am the only one who remembers your tall tales here in Touring forum (special Yellowstone permits, etc) so everything you write is suspect IMO. I have no interest in reading expense reports from an imaginary bicycle trip.
That means I have to go to CGOAB, and while I was an early adopter of that site, I haven't been there for years and don't intend to go back because most of the journals are entirely meh. This forum needs a thread like that suggested, and if the OP is able to provide something tangible, I think it would be good for this site.

And let's wait to see what is posted before making judgments, eh?
Rowan is offline  
Old 04-20-16, 04:37 PM
  #17  
-
 
seeker333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,865

Bikes: yes!

Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
...And let's wait to see what is posted before making judgments, eh?
Rowan, please judge for yourself:

https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/10...-moran-wy.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/10...-thoughts.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/living-car...s-license.html
seeker333 is offline  
Old 04-20-16, 05:08 PM
  #18  
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,155

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAura
Huh? Are you raising money for a charity or a bike trip?
I'm raising money for charity. I'm paying for the ride itself out of my own pocket. After the death of my mom last April I opened a second bank account and started saving money. About $6,500. I have $5,200 left after purchasing the gear I needed. Whatever money I have left at the end of my trip will be donated to the charity. So if I spend $4,500 then the remaining $700 will be donated. I'm not asking nor am I taking any personal donations. Hope that makes sense?

Originally Posted by Miele Man
Based on other thread you've run, don't forget to budget for fines for illegal camping and fraudulent documents.

Cheers
Happy trolling!

Originally Posted by seeker333
Anyone who wants an idea of touring costs can spend an hour at CGOAB and just check the last couple pages of journals, where people frequently itemize costs.

Bicycle touring costs between 7 to >100 USD per day depending on your lodging, food choices, transport to/from touring destination, etc. 7USD/day was Heidi Domeisen's food cost, as she carried a good bit of food purchased in bulk on her trike. Few people have the discipline, energy or inclination to carry around 20 lbs of bulk food requiring cooking nearly every meal to reduce cost. People eating out of C-stores and restaurants regularly can expect to spend >25USD/day. If you free camp nearly the whole time, eat cheap and have no transport or extraordinary costs you can expect to spend probably no less than $20 per day, and that won't necessarily be a fun time.

BTW, I doubt I am the only one who remembers your tall tales here in Touring forum (special Yellowstone permits, etc) so everything you write is suspect IMO. I have no interest in reading expense reports from an imaginary bicycle trip.
No need to troll.

Thanks for the website. I'll check it out. I know people have done it before but it's not a determining factor for me. I usually average $10/day for food but I don't buy in bulk. Something I want to do on this tour which I've never done before is keep track of my calorie/water intake. I run for a living so I do it on a daily basis as it is. I'll have more free time on tour than I do right now so should't be an issue. I've never done it on tour because it makes me feel like I'm at work.

Originally Posted by Rowan
That means I have to go to CGOAB, and while I was an early adopter of that site, I haven't been there for years and don't intend to go back because most of the journals are entirely meh. This forum needs a thread like that suggested, and if the OP is able to provide something tangible, I think it would be good for this site.

And let's wait to see what is posted before making judgments, eh?
Thanks Rowan. There was a group of people who were jealous (or whatever you call it) that I was given special permission to go through the park at a certain time. They've felt the need to troll me ever since. Even after I proved the documents were real.

I'll be posting my register in some shape on here. Most likely on a weekly basis using the format Happy Feed suggested. Food/Camping/Entertainment and maybe miscellaneous for bike maintenance/toiletry items etc.

If you don't like the post you don't have to click on it. No one is forcing you to. But please keep your negative and trolling comments to yourself. Just creates unnecessary drama.

If you took a moment and clicked on the link in my signature you'd see that the organization I'm working in partnership with is a world renown one.

I'll be posting plenty of photos after I leave next weekend in a new thread for the ride.
Ty0604 is offline  
Old 04-20-16, 05:31 PM
  #19  
 
BigAura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chapin, SC
Posts: 3,423

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Ty0604
I'm raising money for charity. I'm paying for the ride itself out of my own pocket. After the death of my mom last April I opened a second bank account and started saving money. About $6,500. I have $5,200 left after purchasing the gear I needed. Whatever money I have left at the end of my trip will be donated to the charity. So if I spend $4,500 then the remaining $700 will be donated. I'm not asking nor am I taking any personal donations. Hope that makes sense?
Cool! Enjoy! It sounds like a great cause too.
BigAura is offline  
Old 04-20-16, 05:51 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,624

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
That means I have to go to CGOAB, and while I was an early adopter of that site, I haven't been there for years and don't intend to go back because most of the journals are entirely meh. This forum needs a thread like that suggested, and if the OP is able to provide something tangible, I think it would be good for this site.

And let's wait to see what is posted before making judgments, eh?

Read his other threads and you'll see why many don't believe anything he posts.

Cheers
Miele Man is offline  
Old 04-20-16, 05:57 PM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 16,771
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Read his other threads and you'll see why many don't believe anything he posts.

Cheers
You and others have cultivated a vigilante-style culture here with several posters. I don't need to read or reread any of his previous threads. He was admonished by the mods as I recall in one instance.

The idea he has posted here has merit. If he posts what he says he will, good. If he doesn't, it's no loss, and maybe someone else will pick it up.

Moving on...
Rowan is offline  
Old 04-20-16, 08:00 PM
  #22  
Senior Member
 
alan s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 6,977
Liked 190 Times in 129 Posts
Not intersted. Just sum up at the end and post a few nice photos. CGOAB is better for daily posting of your life story.
alan s is offline  
Old 04-20-16, 09:53 PM
  #23  
Senior Member
 
Doug64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Oregon
Posts: 6,501
Liked 855 Times in 442 Posts
Just post it on your blog site and summarize at the finish of your ride. IMO, daily, weekly or even monthly summaries would be tough to wade through.
Doug64 is offline  
Old 04-20-16, 10:52 PM
  #24  
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,155

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAura
Cool! Enjoy! It sounds like a great cause too.
Thanks! It's been a lot of planning. I'm ready to go!

Originally Posted by Rowan
You and others have cultivated a vigilante-style culture here with several posters. I don't need to read or reread any of his previous threads. He was admonished by the mods as I recall in one instance.

The idea he has posted here has merit. If he posts what he says he will, good. If he doesn't, it's no loss, and maybe someone else will pick it up.

Moving on...
Thanks man! Trolls will be trolls.

Originally Posted by alan s
Not intersted. Just sum up at the end and post a few nice photos. CGOAB is better for daily posting of your life story.
I already have a website and don't care for the CGOAB website.

Originally Posted by Doug64
Just post it on your blog site and summarize at the finish of your ride. IMO, daily, weekly or even monthly summaries would be tough to wade through.
No harm if you're not interested It'll be mixed in with my post about my ride. Most likely towards the bottom after the updates/photos. Which I'll start when I leave. Your choice if you view it!
Ty0604 is offline  
Old 04-23-16, 01:59 PM
  #25  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 109

Bikes: 2014 Brodie Argus

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's been done before... https://awanderingphoto.com/2014/07/...dollars-a-day/
shibbyman23 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.