Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Touring pics

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Touring pics

Old 05-30-20, 08:43 PM
  #1126  
Senior Member
 
PedalingWalrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Maine, USA
Posts: 1,599

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 221 Posts
that is my buddy, partner in crime, who gets the outdoor bug as bad as I do. He is pretty much the only reliable [letís go] type I have when it comes to bicycle overnighters. 👍🙂

and the bugs were out so much you could ride with your mouth open and not need any snacks. However if you slowed down too much during uphills the reverse would occur as you became the meal for the bugs


Originally Posted by djb
two questions--
who is the old geezer trying to light that nice dock on fire?

and two, were the black flies out?

Last edited by PedalingWalrus; 05-31-20 at 01:48 AM.
PedalingWalrus is offline  
Old 05-31-20, 05:18 AM
  #1127  
djb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 12,975
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2639 Post(s)
Liked 884 Times in 732 Posts
Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
that is my buddy, partner in crime, who gets the outdoor bug as bad as I do. He is pretty much the only reliable [letís go] type I have when it comes to bicycle overnighters. 👍🙂

and the bugs were out so much you could ride with your mouth open and not need any snacks. However if you slowed down too much during uphills the reverse would occur as you became the meal for the bugs
Ya I didn't think it was you.
I asked about the bugs because I've been tempted to do an overnighter North of Montreal but that area and recent weather pretty much guaranteed that the black flies would be seriously unpleasant.
djb is offline  
Old 06-01-20, 08:37 AM
  #1128  
Senior Member
 
Happy Feet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Left Coast, Canada
Posts: 5,126
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts


Happy Feet is offline  
Old 06-01-20, 10:23 AM
  #1129  
Partially Sane.
 
stardognine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Sunny Sacramento.
Posts: 3,562

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 641 Times in 466 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet


Now weíre talkiní turkey! 😁
stardognine is offline  
Likes For stardognine:
Old 06-01-20, 10:34 AM
  #1130  
Partially Sane.
 
stardognine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Sunny Sacramento.
Posts: 3,562

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 641 Times in 466 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Back to the Pervy Women of Davis CA, I bet that's the first thing they noticed. Were their ears clearly visible?

Glad to see you're making good progress, hopefully you can make up to Chico, very nice area.
Ha, I looked for this post for a LONG time, before I found it. I mean for a couple days. 🙄
😉 I missed pics of the cool highway sign, on route 99, but hereís the wall, on one of the main bike paths, here in Chico.

What am I supposed to find here, anyways? 🤔 If youíre implying that I should let some college kid pervert lady catch me, no way, sheíd probably kill me. 😲😁😉 I can hardly keep up with women my own age. 😁


stardognine is offline  
Old 06-03-20, 08:43 AM
  #1131  
Senior Member
 
camjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Lewisville, TX
Posts: 660

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring, 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1 hybrid, 2000 Mongoose S2000 MTB, 2009 Schwinn Jaguar beach cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
2011 on the Trans Am between Wisdom and Darby.


I love seeing stuff like that on my rides, knowing people have left a little token to mark their visit to remote places.
camjr is offline  
Old 06-03-20, 10:40 PM
  #1132  
Senior Member
 
Doug64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Oregon
Posts: 6,459
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1164 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 417 Posts
Paris-- I thought this was an appropriate picture in light of today's social environment. It is one of my wife's photos taken on a bike tour.



Members of the NAWCC

Last edited by Doug64; 06-05-20 at 10:36 AM.
Doug64 is offline  
Likes For Doug64:
Old 06-04-20, 05:14 AM
  #1133  
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 38,095
Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17731 Post(s)
Liked 14,050 Times in 6,674 Posts
Originally Posted by camjr
I love seeing stuff like that on my rides, knowing people have left a little token to mark their visit to remote places.
It's actually at the entrance to a ranch. The Big Hole Valley produces a lot of the state's beef. Climbing Big Hole Pass after Jackson we saw a moose with calf way off in a field. This is the view from the top if you take some times to make the short walk to the interpretive display.
indyfabz is offline  
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-04-20, 08:01 AM
  #1134  
Senior Member
 
StarBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,042

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Maria Island - February 2016 ...









(Click photos for more, of course)


And the story ...
https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/10...l#post18571844
What kind of bikes are these. A folding touring bike?
StarBiker is offline  
Old 06-05-20, 01:45 AM
  #1135  
In Real Life
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 52,152

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 592 Times in 326 Posts
Originally Posted by StarBiker
What kind of bikes are these. A folding touring bike?

Yes - Bike Fridays.
Machka is offline  
Old 06-05-20, 06:52 AM
  #1136  
Senior Member
 
StarBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,042

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 122 Posts
Perfect for a train, airplane flight. Or just the car. Makes sense.

And after glancing at the prices

Best......
StarBiker is offline  
Old 06-05-20, 07:02 AM
  #1137  
djb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 12,975
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2639 Post(s)
Liked 884 Times in 732 Posts
Originally Posted by StarBiker
Perfect for a train, airplane flight. Or just the car. Makes sense.

And after glancing at the prices

Best......
they are rather rare, partly because of the price, but a few weeks ago I ran into a guy with a World Tourer or whatever that touring one is called. Chatted with him about it, nice bike but they are certainly a lot more than a regular store bought touring bike.
djb is offline  
Old 06-05-20, 07:16 AM
  #1138  
Senior Member
 
StarBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,042

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
they are rather rare, partly because of the price, but a few weeks ago I ran into a guy with a World Tourer or whatever that touring one is called. Chatted with him about it, nice bike but they are certainly a lot more than a regular store bought touring bike.
Like even more than the Salsa Fargo I am looking at.........
StarBiker is offline  
Old 06-05-20, 07:23 AM
  #1139  
djb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 12,975
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2639 Post(s)
Liked 884 Times in 732 Posts
Originally Posted by StarBiker
Like even more than the Salsa Fargo I am looking at.........
it makes sense, small American company, and being a folding bike, even a smaller market than even touring bikes.
djb is offline  
Old 06-05-20, 07:27 AM
  #1140  
Senior Member
 
StarBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,042

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 122 Posts
I am trying to figure out what constitutes a touring bike anymore.....
StarBiker is offline  
Old 06-05-20, 07:45 AM
  #1141  
djb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 12,975
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2639 Post(s)
Liked 884 Times in 732 Posts
Originally Posted by StarBiker
I am trying to figure out what constitutes a touring bike anymore.....
low enough gearing for carrying more stuff than you think you'll carry.
not hitting your heels on panniers
boring stuff like that.
djb is offline  
Old 06-05-20, 07:59 AM
  #1142  
Senior Member
 
StarBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,042

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 122 Posts
A strong rear hub. And a sore neck.......

Here's one I had...

StarBiker is offline  
Old 06-05-20, 10:42 AM
  #1143  
Senior Member
 
Doug64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Oregon
Posts: 6,459
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1164 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 417 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Yes - Bike Fridays.
Machka,
When you guys came to Bike Friday's in Eugene, Oregon to pick up your bikes. How is he doing? Excuse the quality, but it was taken with a malfunctioning phone.


Last edited by Doug64; 06-05-20 at 10:57 AM.
Doug64 is offline  
Old 06-05-20, 10:53 AM
  #1144  
Senior Member
 
Doug64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Oregon
Posts: 6,459
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1164 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 417 Posts
Golden Gate Bridge, California-- My wife stopping to find out if we can see the water below through the fog. Taken through a mist coated lens

Last edited by Doug64; 06-05-20 at 10:58 AM.
Doug64 is offline  
Old 06-06-20, 05:15 AM
  #1145  
In Real Life
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 52,152

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 592 Times in 326 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
Machka,
When you guys came to Bike Friday's in Eugene, Oregon to pick up your bikes. How is he doing? Excuse the quality, but it was taken with a malfunctioning phone.


I remember that!


A brief update ...

I've been busy during the shutdown. I'm still working full time from home and I decided to take 2 university courses toward my Master's degree this semester instead of my usual 1 course. Not the best decision but brings me that much closer to the goal. So, I've been up to my eyeballs in research papers. But I've got one final exam ... and then the semester is done!!!! It's finished on June 12. Then next semester (starts July 13) I have one course, and I'm finished the degree!! Can't wait!! Fingers crossed it all goes well.

Rowan has pretty much plateaued. He fatigues very easily, walks unsteadily with his left leg, and struggles with short term memory, to name a few things. But he enjoys working in our garden. He works at it a bit, then rests, then works at it a bit more. We've had some lovely fruit and veggies from the garden!! We get out for walks or short bicycle rides now and then too which is nice. Plus we've been Zwifting.

We adopted a little black cat from a shelter a couple months ago, just before the shutdown. He's been wonderful ... kept us amused! His name at the shelter was Rhody and we decided to keep that name. Say it with bicycles in mind ... specifically road bicycles.

Both Rowan and I will be going for surgeries soon which will slow us down a bit. Rowan's is a hernia surgery at the end of June and mine is a deviated septum surgery at the beginning of July. Fortunately, I guess, we're about to go into winter. Rest time.




Machka is offline  
Likes For Machka:
Old 06-06-20, 09:04 AM
  #1146  
Partially Sane.
 
stardognine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Sunny Sacramento.
Posts: 3,562

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 641 Times in 466 Posts
Cool kitty cat. 😎 Good luck wherever ya need it there. 🙂
stardognine is offline  
Old 06-07-20, 03:37 PM
  #1147  
Partially Sane.
 
stardognine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Sunny Sacramento.
Posts: 3,562

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 641 Times in 466 Posts
I found this plaque yesterday, near Red Bluffs, but never did find the pueblo. 🤔 It actually rained on me yesterday, right around the time I found this plaque, but itís been hot here lately, so it was kinda nice. 🙂
stardognine is offline  
Old 06-07-20, 10:53 PM
  #1148  
Senior Member
 
Doug64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Oregon
Posts: 6,459
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1164 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 417 Posts
Germany
Doug64 is offline  
Likes For Doug64:
Old 06-07-20, 11:29 PM
  #1149  
Senior Member
 
Happy Feet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Left Coast, Canada
Posts: 5,126
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
I remember that!


A brief update ...

I've been busy during the shutdown. I'm still working full time from home and I decided to take 2 university courses toward my Master's degree this semester instead of my usual 1 course. Not the best decision but brings me that much closer to the goal. So, I've been up to my eyeballs in research papers. But I've got one final exam ... and then the semester is done!!!! It's finished on June 12. Then next semester (starts July 13) I have one course, and I'm finished the degree!! Can't wait!! Fingers crossed it all goes well.

Rowan has pretty much plateaued. He fatigues very easily, walks unsteadily with his left leg, and struggles with short term memory, to name a few things. But he enjoys working in our garden. He works at it a bit, then rests, then works at it a bit more. We've had some lovely fruit and veggies from the garden!! We get out for walks or short bicycle rides now and then too which is nice. Plus we've been Zwifting.

We adopted a little black cat from a shelter a couple months ago, just before the shutdown. He's been wonderful ... kept us amused! His name at the shelter was Rhody and we decided to keep that name. Say it with bicycles in mind ... specifically road bicycles.

Both Rowan and I will be going for surgeries soon which will slow us down a bit. Rowan's is a hernia surgery at the end of June and mine is a deviated septum surgery at the beginning of July. Fortunately, I guess, we're about to go into winter. Rest time.
Sending good thoughts your and Rowans way
Happy Feet is offline  
Old 06-08-20, 05:53 AM
  #1150  
djb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 12,975
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2639 Post(s)
Liked 884 Times in 732 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Sending good thoughts your and Rowans way
ya, all the best with the short and long term challenges.
djb is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.