Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Touring (https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/)
-   -   Waterproof frame bags (https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1080261-waterproof-frame-bags.html)

scarleton 09-13-16 06:09 AM

Waterproof frame bags
 
I have own and used my Revelate Designs frame bag for two years now. When I first got it it would keep things dry in a downpour, but in the last two downpour things got wet. The first one it was bad, there was a 1/2 inch of water in the bottom of the bag and it killed my phone. The second time I put important things in bags and all was well, but things still got wet.

Q1: Anyone know if the bag needs to be weather proofed from time to time?

Q2: Anyone have any experience with other frame bag that do a better job of staying water tight?

revcp 09-13-16 08:20 AM


Originally Posted by scarleton (Post 19051894)
I have own and used my Revelate Designs frame bag for two years now. When I first got it it would keep things dry in a downpour, but in the last two downpour things got wet. The first one it was bad, there was a 1/2 inch of water in the bottom of the bag and it killed my phone. The second time I put important things in bags and all was well, but things still got wet.

Q1: Anyone know if the bag needs to be weather proofed from time to time?

Q2: Anyone have any experience with other frame bag that do a better job of staying water tight?

I have a Revelate frame bag as well (two, actually). They are not nor are they advertised as being waterproof, so it was your initial experience of keeping things dry that was the exception.

scarleton 09-13-16 08:34 AM


Originally Posted by revcp (Post 19052153)
I have a Revelate frame bag as well (two, actually). They are not nor are they advertised as being waterproof, so it was your initial experience of keeping things dry that was the exception.

Ah, that is good to know!!!! Any idea of any frame bags that ARE waterproof?

revcp 09-13-16 08:44 AM


Originally Posted by scarleton (Post 19052192)
Ah, that is good to know!!!! Any idea of any frame bags that ARE waterproof?

Apidura, I think? I really didn't look around a lot for that. My clothing goes in my saddle bag, my hammock, underquilt and sleeping bag go in a waterproof stuff sack in my bar harness. It's mostly food, tools, glasses, etc. in my framebag. I also have a Revelate gas tank. It holds readily accessible food. an extra light, my phone (best waterproof phone case by far: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. You can operate the phone through the case, take pics, etc.).

So rather than waterproof your framebag you might instead adjust what you carry in it, as saddle bags and bar bags lend themselves better to water tight closure.

fietsbob 09-13-16 08:58 AM

Sewing makes holes , seam sealants try to seal those holes,

why is putting things that you wish to keep dry, in plastic zip-lock bags difficult for you?

Ortlieb is world famous for their welded seam waterproofness , they make front and rear bike-packing bags,

but frames are so varied, as are customers desires for shape...

So making dozens of shapes of frame bags , per company , for you, is perhaps a dream..





But ... NB: although, you can always sew one, just for you, yourself ..





./.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:36 AM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.