Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Eureka sent wrong tent, which would you keep?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Eureka sent wrong tent, which would you keep?

Old 11-29-16, 09:14 PM
  #26  
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,155

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
If it's really a difference of 1.5 lbs. and no plans to ever have two people inside then I'd opt for the solo version. I have a Spitfire-1 and always bring all my gear (except the bike) inside at night and have never felt cramped. But mine weighs a little more than specified. Even substituting very lightweight stakes it comes in at just a bit over 3 lbs. So I'd first weigh the two-person model before making a decision instead of relying on the manufacturer's specs.
How do you have room in the Spitfire 1 with all of your gear? How big are you? I'm 5'10" & 155. I fit with maybe a foot on either end of me but it's the corner and not very high.

The weights on the website are accurate to what my at home scale reads on both. A little under as compared to over.

I'm not doubting you but are you positive you have the Spitfire 1? Photo?
Ty0604 is offline  
Old 11-29-16, 09:38 PM
  #27  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bay Area, Calif.
Posts: 7,239
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ty0604
How do you have room in the Spitfire 1 with all of your gear? How big are you? I'm 5'10" & 155. I fit with maybe a foot on either end of me but it's the corner and not very high.

The weights on the website are accurate to what my at home scale reads on both. A little under as compared to over.

I'm not doubting you but are you positive you have the Spitfire 1? Photo?
Yes, definitely have the solo model. I put one partly loaded pannier in the pointy end past my head where it helps to double as part of my 'pillow' and the other sits next to me in the wider portion of the tent. Here's my review on Amazon that includes a couple pictures:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...SIN=B000EQ8VIS
prathmann is offline  
Old 11-29-16, 09:57 PM
  #28  
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,155

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
Yes, definitely have the solo model. I put one partly loaded pannier in the pointy end past my head where it helps to double as part of my 'pillow' and the other sits next to me in the wider portion of the tent. Here's my review on Amazon that includes a couple pictures:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...SIN=B000EQ8VIS
I've never seen one the color of the one on Amazon! Interesting. I wonder if it's the original 1? It looks exactly the same otherwise. The dimensions and weight on Amazon's website are slightly different than those on Eureka!'s website. I tend to trust those directly from the manufacture.

Spitfire Solo Person Tent | Eureka!
Ty0604 is offline  
Old 11-29-16, 10:19 PM
  #29  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bay Area, Calif.
Posts: 7,239
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ty0604
I've never seen one the color of the one on Amazon! Interesting. I wonder if it's the original 1? It looks exactly the same otherwise. The dimensions and weight on Amazon's website are slightly different than those on Eureka!'s website. I tend to trust those directly from the manufacture.

Spitfire Solo Person Tent | Eureka!
Not sure what discrepancy you're seeing. Both your Eureka site and Amazon give the weight as 2 lbs, 12 oz., roof height as 40" and floor size as 9' x 3' 6" x 2' 2". And if you look at the video on the Eureka site you provided you'll see a tent with the same khaki color as mine.
prathmann is offline  
Old 11-29-16, 10:30 PM
  #30  
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,155

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
Not sure what discrepancy you're seeing. Both your Eureka site and Amazon give the weight as 2 lbs, 12 oz., roof height as 40" and floor size as 9' x 3' 6" x 2' 2". And if you look at the video on the Eureka site you provided you'll see a tent with the same khaki color as mine.
Oops. That's my fault. I saw the "2.75lbs" as 2 lbs, 7.5 oz.

My Spitfire 1 is bright green. The video, which I had not watched before, shows the khaki one.
Ty0604 is offline  
Old 11-29-16, 10:50 PM
  #31  
Banned.
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,077
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Campmor gives the package wt for the 1 man as 3 lb 4 oz, the 2 man as 4 lb 11oz I believe. You found the min trail wt. no stakes stuff sacks etc.
Squeezebox is offline  
Old 11-29-16, 11:06 PM
  #32  
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,155

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeezebox
Campmor gives the package wt for the 1 man as 3 lb 4 oz, the 2 man as 4 lb 11oz I believe. You found the min trail wt. no stakes stuff sacks etc.
Yeah! I've seen the package weight vary depending on where you look. I always ditch the steel stakes though.
Ty0604 is offline  
Old 11-30-16, 04:03 AM
  #33  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,275
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ah very good so basically your as strong as a race horse. take the 2man tent no bother to you to have an extra bit of weight ,
wouldn't i love to have that choice .
antokelly is offline  
Old 11-30-16, 01:23 PM
  #34  
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,155

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by antokelly
Ah very good so basically your as strong as a race horse. take the 2man tent no bother to you to have an extra bit of weight ,
wouldn't i love to have that choice .
The solo tent is coming in the mail today. Going to make a decision then. I can haul a lot of weight but doesn't mean I want to Touring is my get away from running and every day life.
Ty0604 is offline  
Old 11-30-16, 02:47 PM
  #35  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,275
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ty0604
The solo tent is coming in the mail today. Going to make a decision then. I can haul a lot of weight but doesn't mean I want to Touring is my get away from running and every day life.
yeah but it ain't that much difference i would take the 2 man any day of the week.
antokelly is offline  
Old 11-30-16, 02:58 PM
  #36  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: No certain place. Catch me when you can.
Posts: 385

Bikes: I'm not a guy - brand doesn't matter.

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Eureka is the worst tent company there is. I'm surprised that anyone would have given you a new tent under the circumstance you described. Be that as it may, I have a Solitaire tent. Bought it cause I once owned there Timberline which was a great tent. The Solitaire has proven their drop in quality. So many people have had their tent poles break on this tent, including me. For me, it happened on the 8th usage. For others, on the first, or second, etc. They have absolutely no intentions of improving the cheap poles - they'd rather continue to send out replacement poles ("only this one time on good faith" as you put it) than just fix the stupid problem. They actually had the audacity to offer me the Spitfire instead of sending out the poles. I rejected it because I wanted the tent I'd bought to WORK. Imagine that. The front pole broke a few months ago and had to go thru the same rigamaroll to get that one replaced by them. I finally had to replace the rear poles (because they broke again) with a plastic flexible pole that some stranger was nice enough to offer to me. I'll have to find the same thing once the front pole dies. What a waste of money. NEVER BUY FROM EUREKA.


On another but similar note... I bought a coil lock for my bike from Target a year ago. It's a Master Lock. Poorly designed as the casing didn't keep out the salt of the CA coast area and the lock stopped working. Returned a rusting lock to the store and got a new one. Well, now many months down the road, mostly from rain, this lock has become rusty inside the casing. Master Lock claims to stand behind its products, however the rep told me that he could send "a goodwill replacement". No sir, if you stand by your product, then that means each one that goes bad gets replaced. Corporate America tries to screw us so bad.
travelinhobo is offline  
Old 11-30-16, 03:42 PM
  #37  
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,155

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by antokelly
yeah but it ain't that much difference i would take the 2 man any day of the week.
When you're only carrying 13lbs of gear on average, the extra weight is a big difference. Not so much if you're carrying 25lbs of weight.

Originally Posted by travelinhobo
Eureka is the worst tent company there is. I'm surprised that anyone would have given you a new tent under the circumstance you described. Be that as it may, I have a Solitaire tent. Bought it cause I once owned there Timberline which was a great tent. The Solitaire has proven their drop in quality. So many people have had their tent poles break on this tent, including me. For me, it happened on the 8th usage. For others, on the first, or second, etc. They have absolutely no intentions of improving the cheap poles - they'd rather continue to send out replacement poles ("only this one time on good faith" as you put it) than just fix the stupid problem. They actually had the audacity to offer me the Spitfire instead of sending out the poles. I rejected it because I wanted the tent I'd bought to WORK. Imagine that. The front pole broke a few months ago and had to go thru the same rigamaroll to get that one replaced by them. I finally had to replace the rear poles (because they broke again) with a plastic flexible pole that some stranger was nice enough to offer to me. I'll have to find the same thing once the front pole dies. What a waste of money. NEVER BUY FROM EUREKA.
Sorry you've had bad luck with Eureka. I owned the Solitaire for about a week. I purchased it on my cross country tour this summer in Chicago after spending the first 6 weeks in the Outdoor Research Helium Bivy. I was feeling claustrophobic in it. I used it for about a week. Niles, Coldwater & Adrian, Michigan and then Sandusky, Ohio. So 5 nights of use. I spent two nights in Sandusky. The second morning as I was taking it down the pole snapped and splintered. That same day I was riding to Cleveland and staying with a WarmShowers host. I took the tent back to Dicks Sporting Goods and they returned it for me. That's where I purchased the Spitfire 1. Even though the 1 was about $40 more than the Solitaire the manager did an even exchange for me.

I neglected to read any reviews on the Solitaire before purchasing it. Had I done so I'd seen that there were a ton of issues with the poles breaking. I was in such a hurry to get out of my OR Helium Bivy that I just bought it on the spot. I did set it up in the store to test how roomy it was etc. In the end it was my fault for not checking reviews. Didn't cost me anything in the end though.

Not only are the poles bad it weighs almost as much as the Spitfire 1. The Solitaire also could sleep my sister and I despite it being a "solo" tent. As does the Spitfire 1 though.

The Spitfire poles are aluminum and it's been a great tent. I'll continue to buy their tents, just not the Solitaire one.

Solitaire tent poles as they were when I returned the tent

Last edited by Ty0604; 11-30-16 at 04:01 PM.
Ty0604 is offline  
Old 11-30-16, 06:38 PM
  #38  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 248

Bikes: LHT disc, Cannondale CAAD8, Cannondale Super 6, Avanti Agressor MTB

Likes: 0
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Do whatever you think is best. Everyone will have a differing view depending on their outlook on touring. Personally, I use a 2 person tent when solo so all panniers can be housed in the tent or vestibule. When touring with a partner, we use a 3 person tent for the extra space, all panniers can be stored under the vestibule, cooking can be done under the vestibule and 2 entries so we don't have to climb over each other. We started off with the 2 person tent for many years but as long as I don't worry about the extra weight, we will use the 3 person tent. As I get weaker, then my view may change. The difference in weight in your choices is not much different than a full water bottle.
Steve0000 is offline  
Old 11-30-16, 06:59 PM
  #39  
 
BigAura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chapin, SC
Posts: 3,423

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
From my experience fiberglass poles don't last. And with everyone obsessed with ultra-light they are making them as lightweight as they can. If you're looking for longevity and lightness then you want aluminum. And if you want to be assured of quality lightness you want DAC. If you're interested in economy and longevity it'll cost you in weight.
BigAura is offline  
Old 11-30-16, 11:44 PM
  #40  
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,155

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve0000
Do whatever you think is best. Everyone will have a differing view depending on their outlook on touring. Personally, I use a 2 person tent when solo so all panniers can be housed in the tent or vestibule. When touring with a partner, we use a 3 person tent for the extra space, all panniers can be stored under the vestibule, cooking can be done under the vestibule and 2 entries so we don't have to climb over each other. We started off with the 2 person tent for many years but as long as I don't worry about the extra weight, we will use the 3 person tent. As I get weaker, then my view may change. The difference in weight in your choices is not much different than a full water bottle.
Thanks for your input. Usually I tour with my sisters and we can share a Spitfire 1 Solo tent, they're small enough. Otherwise if I don't know the person we each have our own tent. Which will be the case when I do the Southern Tier. I don't cook on tour though. I had a JetBoil with me on my cross country tour this summer for less than a month. Only because I absolutely had to based on the route I picked. I sent it home as soon as I could though. Even then I only used it five or six times. My panniers don't come off of my bike.

Originally Posted by BigAura
From my experience fiberglass poles don't last. And with everyone obsessed with ultra-light they are making them as lightweight as they can. If you're looking for longevity and lightness then you want aluminum. And if you want to be assured of quality lightness you want DAC. If you're interested in economy and longevity it'll cost you in weight.
Yeah, fiberglass is pretty bad. Both the Spitfire 1 & 2 have aluminum poles.
Ty0604 is offline  
Old 11-30-16, 11:58 PM
  #41  
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,155

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's the two tents packed side by side. The Spitfire 2 is considerably bigger than the 1. Also doesn't fit into my pannier as well as the 1 does. So I'll be taking the 1 for sure when I leave in February.

Spitfire 1 & Spitfire 2
Ty0604 is offline  
Old 12-01-16, 05:19 AM
  #42  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,275
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ah man your joking me theres not much difference in pack size, if you want to loose a bit of weight change those pedals upgrade your chainset carbon job and carbon seatpost.
take the poles out of the stuffsack and put them on top tube .
i had the hilly akto hated the thing like sleeping in a bloody coffin ,get the bigger better tent..
antokelly is offline  
Old 12-01-16, 07:10 AM
  #43  
nun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,670

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by antokelly
ah man your joking me theres not much difference in pack size, if you want to loose a bit of weight change those pedals upgrade your chainset carbon job and carbon seatpost.
take the poles out of the stuffsack and put them on top tube .
i had the hilly akto hated the thing like sleeping in a bloody coffin ,get the bigger better tent..
As you say a good trick is to pack the poles and pegs separately from the fly. The poles will often fit vertically in a pannier and if they are still too long it's possible to get replacements with a larger number of smaller sections. The fly can be packed in a compression sack.
nun is offline  
Old 12-01-16, 07:48 AM
  #44  
 
BigAura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chapin, SC
Posts: 3,423

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Ty0604
Yeah, fiberglass is pretty bad. Both the Spitfire 1 & 2 have aluminum poles.
Yep, I just looked at the specs and it seems they both use DAC. I have no firsthand experience with those tents but I'm sure the poles are fine.

Choice wise I personally prefer a two-man for touring where the extra weight means little for something I use everyday (I use a solo-tent for backpacking where weight actually matters). I enjoy bringing all my gear inside for easy access. This becomes especially comfortable and convenient on rain days.

Last edited by BigAura; 12-01-16 at 08:02 AM.
BigAura is offline  
Old 12-01-16, 10:09 AM
  #45  
Senior Member
 
robow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,898
Liked 295 Times in 203 Posts
Originally Posted by Ty0604

Spitfire 1 & Spitfire 2
that small difference in pack size gives you over twice the square footage, an additional 20 sq feet of living space, to me, a no brainer
robow is offline  
Old 12-01-16, 12:43 PM
  #46  
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,155

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by antokelly
ah man your joking me theres not much difference in pack size, if you want to loose a bit of weight change those pedals upgrade your chainset carbon job and carbon seatpost.
take the poles out of the stuffsack and put them on top tube .
i had the hilly akto hated the thing like sleeping in a bloody coffin ,get the bigger better tent..
The photo is a bit deceptive. Would have been better had I taken it from the side. The 2 is considerably bigger than the 1. The 1 can also be folded in half for easier pannier storage. The 2 is too big to be folded like the 1.

Changing bike parts that aren't broken to save weight on the tent doesn't seem worth it to me. There's nothing wrong with the bike as it sits.

Originally Posted by nun
As you say a good trick is to pack the poles and pegs separately from the fly. The poles will often fit vertically in a pannier and if they are still too long it's possible to get replacements with a larger number of smaller sections. The fly can be packed in a compression sack.
Pegs? Sorry, not familiar with that term. I put my tent poles across the back of my rear rack through my sleeping bag dry bag and the bungee cord as seen below. The poles on the 1 are too long to fit in my panniers. The poles on the 2 are about 3/4 the size and fit into my panniers but the tent itself doesn't fit that well.



Originally Posted by BigAura
Yep, I just looked at the specs and it seems they both use DAC. I have no firsthand experience with those tents but I'm sure the poles are fine.

Choice wise I personally prefer a two-man for touring where the extra weight means little for something I use everyday (I use a solo-tent for backpacking where weight actually matters). I enjoy bringing all my gear inside for easy access. This becomes especially comfortable and convenient on rain days.
I don't take my panniers off my bike while touring. I usually fix them to my bike so they can't be stolen. Knowing this, would you still bring the 2? Knowing you can't take the panniers into the tent with you?

Originally Posted by robow
that small difference in pack size gives you over twice the square footage, an additional 20 sq feet of living space, to me, a no brainer
See my comment to antokelly above.

I travel pretty light anyway. Maybe I can take the rain fly and the tent from the 2 and put them in two separate compression sacks. One in each pannier. I'm sure I'll change my mind a dozen times before I leave. As usual
Ty0604 is offline  
Old 12-01-16, 03:31 PM
  #47  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,275
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ah ok no bother .nothing at all wrong with the bike i have one sitting here beside me.
but if your looking to save weight then get lighter gear for the bike.
no mater enjoy your tent whichever u choose
antokelly is offline  
Old 12-01-16, 04:06 PM
  #48  
 
BigAura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chapin, SC
Posts: 3,423

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Ty0604
I don't take my panniers off my bike while touring. I usually fix them to my bike so they can't be stolen. Knowing this, would you still bring the 2? Knowing you can't take the panniers into the tent with you?
If I didn't bring my stuff into the tent then I'd go with the smaller.

Personally I like being able to pop off my bags in a second so I'd never use your lock-down style. If I stop and its raining I setup my tent, toss my unopened bags inside the tent, and hop in the tent. My sleep gear & clothes are dry and I can unpack them inside the tent. In the morning I pack-up my panniers inside my tent so they are sealed and ready. Just latch them on the bike and go.
BigAura is offline  
Old 12-01-16, 04:43 PM
  #49  
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,155

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAura
If I didn't bring my stuff into the tent then I'd go with the smaller.

Personally I like being able to pop off my bags in a second so I'd never use your lock-down style. If I stop and its raining I setup my tent, toss my unopened bags inside the tent, and hop in the tent. My sleep gear & clothes are dry and I can unpack them inside the tent. In the morning I pack-up my panniers inside my tent so they are sealed and ready. Just latch them on the bike and go.
My panniers are waterproof but I keep all of my gear inside waterproof compression sacks inside of my panniers. Easy enough to open up my panniers and grab the 3 bags I have. (1 each containing my clothes, tent and toiletries). So my panniers are usually empty at the end of the day. My clothes compression sack doubles as my pillow, my tent is up and, because of my medications, my toiletries bag is in my tent with me. Then my wallet & phone stay with me in my Camelbak.

Maybe it wasn't clear that all I carry is already unpacked on most nights.
Ty0604 is offline  
Old 12-01-16, 04:45 PM
  #50  
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,155

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by antokelly
ah ok no bother .nothing at all wrong with the bike i have one sitting here beside me.
but if your looking to save weight then get lighter gear for the bike.
no mater enjoy your tent whichever u choose
She's light enough already For my liking anyway! Thank you! Will do.
Ty0604 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.