Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Any handlebar bags compatible with carbon fiber handlebars?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Any handlebar bags compatible with carbon fiber handlebars?

Old 03-21-17, 12:58 PM
  #1  
wgscott
Occam's Rotor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 7,173
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,257 Times in 1,128 Posts
Any handlebar bags compatible with carbon fiber handlebars?

Seems like any rigid-mount system comes with a warning not to use it with carbon bars. It makes me worry that even others, that hang from straps, might be dangerous. I have a 30 year old Eclipse bag with a wire mount that loops around the stem, which seems like a viable solution, but the bag is old and the stabilization straps are not compatible with my fork. This mount design seems to have disappeared (perhaps it is flawed?).
wgscott is offline  
Old 03-21-17, 01:28 PM
  #2  
jefnvk
Senior Member
 
jefnvk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Metro Detroit/AA
Posts: 8,212

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3635 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 48 Posts
What about a front rack that the bag sits on?
jefnvk is offline  
Old 03-21-17, 01:38 PM
  #3  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 13,166

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6127 Post(s)
Liked 3,273 Times in 1,888 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
Seems like any rigid-mount system comes with a warning not to use it with carbon bars.
I am no help to your actual question, I just found this comment to be surprising. If a handlebar bag mount could be dangerous...how safe are the bars?


I am not suggesting CF bars are some liability death trap waiting to impale you with shards of fibers after exploding...but if bars cant handle the rub and dynamic movement of a mount system, how can they handle mountainbiking/gravel riding/years of regular road use?
Just seems odd.
mstateglfr is offline  
Old 03-21-17, 01:38 PM
  #4  
fietsbob
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,599

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 832 Posts
The Ortlieb bag's mounting bracket is a figure 8 of plastic coated cable to fit the bar bag mount on the bars..

Klick fix uses 2 plastic U brackets around the bars, then a loop of cable

to keep the bracket from rotating, with weight in it..

Klick Fix brackets will hang Ortlieb's bags from them

Either should be fine with carbon bars, belt & braces wrap some gaffers tape where the wires will go ,

to cover the lacquered epoxy.


I have a wire KF bag support, and found it works with a blue Eclipse bag, I also have..


You can make a way to fit the elastic shock cord to those D rings on the bag , if you try..



Internet seems to kill independent problem solving, I conclude, as I continue to read posts on this Forum.















...

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-21-17 at 01:47 PM.
fietsbob is offline  
Old 03-21-17, 01:41 PM
  #5  
shipwreck
Senior Member
 
shipwreck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,475
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
Seems like any rigid-mount system comes with a warning not to use it with carbon bars. It makes me worry that even others, that hang from straps, might be dangerous. I have a 30 year old Eclipse bag with a wire mount that loops around the stem, which seems like a viable solution, but the bag is old and the stabilization straps are not compatible with my fork. This mount design seems to have disappeared (perhaps it is flawed?).

Cannot give any thoughts on what bag to use with carbon, sorry. I have several of the old cannondales with the same mounting system, used on my alloy bars. I really really like them.

It would seem that rather than the mount design disappearing because it is flawed, it went out of use because of the flaws and limitations of carbon bars...
shipwreck is offline  
Old 03-21-17, 02:16 PM
  #6  
wgscott
Occam's Rotor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 7,173
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,257 Times in 1,128 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
I am no help to your actual question, I just found this comment to be surprising. If a handlebar bag mount could be dangerous...how safe are the bars?


I am not suggesting CF bars are some liability death trap waiting to impale you with shards of fibers after exploding...but if bars cant handle the rub and dynamic movement of a mount system, how can they handle mountainbiking/gravel riding/years of regular road use?
Just seems odd.
I agree. I was surprised by it as I was about to purchase a new bag. I can only guess, but I suspect it is the propensity for a user to over-tighten the rigid mount.
wgscott is offline  
Old 03-21-17, 02:18 PM
  #7  
wgscott
Occam's Rotor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 7,173
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,257 Times in 1,128 Posts
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
It would seem that rather than the mount design disappearing because it is flawed, it went out of use because of the flaws and limitations of carbon bars...
Except the Eclipse eclipsed a long time ago ... before the Carboniferous period. In any case, the reason I asked about that was that it seems like the 30 year old Eclipse mounting system would be ideal for something like carbon bars (if I am right that the objection is that someone might over-tighten the mounting hardware).
wgscott is offline  
Old 03-21-17, 02:18 PM
  #8  
wgscott
Occam's Rotor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 7,173
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,257 Times in 1,128 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
Internet seems to kill independent problem solving, I conclude, as I continue to read posts on this Forum.
Doesn't seem to have helped with reading comprehension or diplomatic skills much, either.
wgscott is offline  
Old 03-21-17, 02:21 PM
  #9  
ploeg
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ortlieb says, "The UItimate mounting set must not be used on carbon handle bars." https://www.ortlieb.com/en/technisches/lenkertaschen/

The main concern is that you might apply a clamping force to a part of the handlebar that was not designed to take a clamping force. Sometimes you can apply a clamping force only to a 50mm-wide section of the bar, just barely enough for the stem. Other times, you can clamp things to a much wider section of the bar. The bar should indicate where you can clamp accessories and where you can't. Just be sure that you keep an eye on the bar, because, you know, you aren't following directions.
ploeg is offline  
Old 03-21-17, 02:35 PM
  #10  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 13,166

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6127 Post(s)
Liked 3,273 Times in 1,888 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
I agree. I was surprised by it as I was about to purchase a new bag. I can only guess, but I suspect it is the propensity for a user to over-tighten the rigid mount.
Oh, yup, didnt even think about clamping down too hard. I was thinking wear, tear, and weight was the issue.
mstateglfr is offline  
Old 03-21-17, 02:51 PM
  #11  
jefnvk
Senior Member
 
jefnvk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Metro Detroit/AA
Posts: 8,212

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3635 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
I am no help to your actual question, I just found this comment to be surprising. If a handlebar bag mount could be dangerous...how safe are the bars?
I just went through loads of handlebar bags online this past week, and seemingly universally they all warned against use on CF bars. CF can be made strong, but it doesn't necessarily handle all forms of stresses well in all load directions. I'd guess that the area under clamps are not reinforced, it'd be easy to overtorque and crack them.
jefnvk is offline  
Old 03-21-17, 04:46 PM
  #12  
Tourist in MSN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 8,484

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2351 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 593 Times in 488 Posts
If you have carbon handlebars, I am assuming you do not have any spare steerer tube where you could run a second stem. I say that because every bike I have seen with carbon bars does not have handlebars up very high. But, if you do you could install a second stem and a short piece cut off of a handle bar or the right diameter PVC pipe in that second stem and then put your handlebar bracket on that. See first two photos.

I am familiar with the bracket you are talking about, I used to use one of those bags, see third photo. I bent up a bracket to fit because the original bracket was sized for a quill stem, the original bracket would not fit on the threadless stem. But I no longer use this bag, switched to the ones that have a quick release as shown in the first two photos. I think nobody uses those brackets anymore because the new quick release design is so much better.

I do not have any carbon components, so I have no opinion on the safety of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20IMGP1139.jpg (92.9 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg
20IMGP0089.jpg (98.0 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_4906.jpg (100.6 KB, 91 views)
Tourist in MSN is offline  
Old 03-21-17, 04:48 PM
  #13  
wgscott
Occam's Rotor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 7,173
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,257 Times in 1,128 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk View Post
I just went through loads of handlebar bags online this past week, and seemingly universally they all warned against use on CF bars. CF can be made strong, but it doesn't necessarily handle all forms of stresses well in all load directions. I'd guess that the area under clamps are not reinforced, it'd be easy to overtorque and crack them.
It does make me wonder if this is more about lawyers limiting liability from users who don't use a torque wrench, vs. a real issue.

Oh, your rack suggestion is a good one -- my Enve cyclocross fork is the problem. (The fundamental problem is I am trying to decide if I should get a touring bike or stick with my custom "adventure road" bike. It is a nice ride, and I gave my 1990 Trek 520 to one of my grad students about 10 years ago, since I thought I might never tour again.)
wgscott is offline  
Old 03-21-17, 04:51 PM
  #14  
wgscott
Occam's Rotor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 7,173
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,257 Times in 1,128 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN View Post
If you have carbon handlebars, I am assuming you do not have any spare steerer tube where you could run a second stem.
That's a brilliant idea. I think I might have enough room for it, and I just today found an extra stem rolling around in the car.

Here is how the bike looks: https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/10...tour-bike.html

Last edited by wgscott; 03-21-17 at 05:29 PM.
wgscott is offline  
Old 03-21-17, 06:37 PM
  #15  
niknak
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 776
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
What about a bikepacking style roll? No clamps necessary. You can tape the spots on your bars where the straps touch. On my last few tours I've just used toe straps to lash the tent to the bars and put a Revelate Pocket over it all. The Pocket holds my phone, camera and some snacks.
niknak is offline  
Old 03-21-17, 06:39 PM
  #16  
shipwreck
Senior Member
 
shipwreck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,475
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
Except the Eclipse eclipsed a long time ago ... before the Carboniferous period. In any case, the reason I asked about that was that it seems like the 30 year old Eclipse mounting system would be ideal for something like carbon bars (if I am right that the objection is that someone might over-tighten the mounting hardware).
True, I didn't think out the cheap carbon shot before jumping on it.
Today I put a bag mount on a bike with a threadless stem from a quill. Had to get a new cable at the hardware store. They did not have the coated cable, so I got some tubing to go over it. You could double up the cable coating for more protection possibly. My bag is the same as tourist in mn's middle bag. Honestly if that wore out a carbon bar then that's ridiculous. The clamp cannot torque down tight enough to stress anything.
shipwreck is offline  
Old 03-21-17, 06:55 PM
  #17  
wgscott
Occam's Rotor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 7,173
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,257 Times in 1,128 Posts
Aluminum bars are not without their own set of problems and limitations.
wgscott is offline  
Old 03-21-17, 08:17 PM
  #18  
linus
Crawler
 
linus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: OH~ CANADA
Posts: 1,407
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
I've used handlebar bag on my S-WORKS carbon bar without any issue. The handlebar came with warning sticker not to use any clip-on aero bars with it too.
linus is offline  
Old 03-21-17, 09:29 PM
  #19  
shipwreck
Senior Member
 
shipwreck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,475
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
Aluminum bars are not without their own set of problems and limitations.
Curious, could you list a few? No snark, I have no interest in the carbon debate really. So far the only problem I have had with Aluminum bars is not being able to stick things to them with magnets. A couple of my bikes have 50 year old GB bars on them, get ridden pretty hard and I need to know if they are going to explode on my next ride. Seriously though, I just wonder what the problems and limitations that you refer to are.
shipwreck is offline  
Old 03-21-17, 10:06 PM
  #20  
fietsbob
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,599

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 832 Posts
your same weight weenie opting for a super thin wall light weight drop bar of aluminum , is potentially, the issue.

get a more substantial bar made in thicker tube wall aluminum..

Name dropping : Nitto , heat treated, after forming, bars will be .. reliable..


don't count grams there, its not a hill-climb-time-trial




...

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-21-17 at 10:09 PM.
fietsbob is offline  
Old 03-21-17, 10:17 PM
  #21  
wgscott
Occam's Rotor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 7,173
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,257 Times in 1,128 Posts
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
Curious, could you list a few? No snark, I have no interest in the carbon debate really. So far the only problem I have had with Aluminum bars is not being able to stick things to them with magnets. A couple of my bikes have 50 year old GB bars on them, get ridden pretty hard and I need to know if they are going to explode on my next ride. Seriously though, I just wonder what the problems and limitations that you refer to are.
I've heard you are supposed to replace them every 5 years or so, or after an impact, due to the possibility of them snapping without warning. Having said that, I have never replaced any, including my 1987 Modolo bars (which came with a stem that was recalled), until last year.

Last edited by wgscott; 03-21-17 at 10:25 PM.
wgscott is offline  
Old 03-21-17, 10:23 PM
  #22  
wgscott
Occam's Rotor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 7,173
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,257 Times in 1,128 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
your same weight weenie opting for a super thin wall light weight drop bar of aluminum , is potentially, the issue.

get a more substantial bar made in thicker tube wall aluminum..

Name dropping : Nitto , heat treated, after forming, bars will be .. reliable..

don't count grams there, its not a hill-climb-time-trial

...
I just got the Nitto for my Bianchi (decided to ditch the 1987 Modolos, mainly because they were stuck in a stem I no longer wanted to use). These carbon bars on my "adventure road" bike are actually more comfortable than even the Nitto noodles. Basically, I want to leave this bike as it is. I blew a wad of cash getting a custom (steel frame) bike that fits perfectly, and it does (anything I change is almost always for the worse). If I change out the carbon bars, I should also get rid of the carbon stem, the carbon fork, the electronic shifting along with the Di2-imposed limitations ... I'd rather just invest in a zero-compromise touring bike and put exactly what I need on for the bars, fork, wheels, brakes, shifting, etc., while leaving the "adventure road" bike unmolested.

It just never occurred to me that mounting a front pack would be an issue until I went to purchase a new one today.

Last edited by wgscott; 03-21-17 at 10:31 PM. Reason: clarification and continuity with previous post
wgscott is offline  
Old 03-22-17, 08:42 AM
  #23  
ploeg
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
I've heard you are supposed to replace them every 5 years or so, or after an impact, due to the possibility of them snapping without warning. Having said that, I have never replaced any, including my 1987 Modolo bars (which came with a stem that was recalled), until last year.
This comment would apply more to carbon than to aluminum, since carbon is a layered material and you won't necessarily see damage to internal layers. Personally, I think that it's excessive to replace parts without any indication that the part is defective, but certainly there's enough inattentiveness and denial out there that I can see where a risk-adverse corporation might want to err on the side of caution. (Risk-adverse humans too!)

I had to replace an aluminum handlebar after 15 years of service because the bar corroded around the clamp area. In that case, there were actual holes in the bar, so you could see that it needed to go.
ploeg is offline  
Old 03-22-17, 09:09 AM
  #24  
fietsbob
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,599

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 832 Posts
By the way, shoppers, SJS Cycles in UK makes a 1 bolt stem like piece with a T of 7/8" aluminum welded on
for mounting bar bag mounts..

it will occupy less steering tube spacer height, than using a regular threadless stem
with a stub of tubing in it..

...
fietsbob is offline  
Old 03-22-17, 09:19 AM
  #25  
linus
Crawler
 
linus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: OH~ CANADA
Posts: 1,407
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
I just got the Nitto for my Bianchi (decided to ditch the 1987 Modolos, mainly because they were stuck in a stem I no longer wanted to use). These carbon bars on my "adventure road" bike are actually more comfortable than even the Nitto noodles. Basically, I want to leave this bike as it is. I blew a wad of cash getting a custom (steel frame) bike that fits perfectly, and it does (anything I change is almost always for the worse). If I change out the carbon bars, I should also get rid of the carbon stem, the carbon fork, the electronic shifting along with the Di2-imposed limitations ... I'd rather just invest in a zero-compromise touring bike and put exactly what I need on for the bars, fork, wheels, brakes, shifting, etc., while leaving the "adventure road" bike unmolested.

It just never occurred to me that mounting a front pack would be an issue until I went to purchase a new one today.
If you want the same level of fork with eyelets for racks and fenders, checkout Niner carbon forks. Fyxation also makes forks with eyelets, but tapered version will be not released until May.
linus is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.