Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Worthwhile Online Stores That Ship Touring Stuff to Latin America?

Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Worthwhile Online Stores That Ship Touring Stuff to Latin America?

Reply

Old 01-13-18, 07:45 PM
  #1  
TallTourist
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
TallTourist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Touring Latin America Currently
Posts: 249

Bikes: Vivente Deccan XXXL Slightly modified

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Worthwhile Online Stores That Ship Touring Stuff to Latin America?

I searched and came up with nothing oddly.

I just ordered a Brooks saddle from REI but they have no Proofide and I want to get fatter Schwalbes (47-622 e bike ones) as my current ones are like pizza cutters and that's no fun on dirt roads with bedrock jutting up everywhere.

So yeah...any stores online that ship or is it a case of "If you're not in the first world you are SOL"? I looked at Peter White Cycles but it said they only ship to your billing address which does me no good.

Googled it, no dice.

Oh yeah so BTW because I'm Canadian and have a Canadian Visa this is problematic when trying to buy and receive things abroad. Had the same problem in England, long-term traveling is so alien a concept it would seem.

Last edited by TallTourist; 01-13-18 at 07:55 PM.
TallTourist is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-18, 08:14 PM
  #2  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 18,008
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5683 Post(s)
I'd try some of the big British stores. They seem to be big on exports.

Ribble, Wiggle, Chain Reaction Cycles, ...

Perhaps some other European stores too.

If you're not looking for name brand stuff, also consider ordering direct from Asia. So, Japanese and Chinese E-Bay sellers, as well as using Alibaba and AliExpress.

There are a couple of Japanese sellers that are dumping Shimano parts on E-Bay.
CliffordK is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-18, 08:21 PM
  #3  
TallTourist
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
TallTourist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Touring Latin America Currently
Posts: 249

Bikes: Vivente Deccan XXXL Slightly modified

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
I'd try some of the big British stores. They seem to be big on exports.

Ribble, Wiggle, Chain Reaction Cycles, ...

Perhaps some other European stores too.

If you're not looking for name brand stuff, also consider ordering direct from Asia. So, Japanese and Chinese E-Bay sellers, as well as using Alibaba and AliExpress.

There are a couple of Japanese sellers that are dumping Shimano parts on E-Bay.
Well now that the Brooks saddle's on its way I really just need the Schwalbes and Proofide. a new cassette is tempting but those are easy to get IRL.

I'll give those UK ppl a shot, thanks
TallTourist is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-18, 08:27 PM
  #4  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 18,008
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5683 Post(s)
Apparently BikeTiresDirect is a local-ish Portland company. I haven't
found the store yet, but there are several members in the Portland
area that probably have found them.

If all else fails, perhaps try the facilitator thread or PNW forum.
Of course, international retail shipping from the USA is always a
pain, and never cheap.
CliffordK is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-18, 09:07 PM
  #5  
Tourist in MSN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 4,782

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, Perfekt 3 Speed -age unknown, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
SJS in the UK ships to a lot of places but their shipping costs may be higher than some of the other UK companies mentioned above. They however have a very wide selection.

I have no idea if the following ship to Latin America, but I have ordered from Evans in the UK, Star Bike and Bike24 in Germany for shipment to USA, they might also ship to Latin America.
Tourist in MSN is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-18, 09:19 PM
  #6  
TallTourist
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
TallTourist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Touring Latin America Currently
Posts: 249

Bikes: Vivente Deccan XXXL Slightly modified

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
Apparently BikeTiresDirect is a local-ish Portland company. I haven't
found the store yet, but there are several members in the Portland
area that probably have found them.

If all else fails, perhaps try the facilitator thread or PNW forum.
Of course, international retail shipping from the USA is always a
pain, and never cheap.
That's funny, I actually find USA companies to usually have a "can do" attitude . It's probably a big part of the reason why everywhere you go there are companies from the USA. REI sure stepped up to the plate Too bad they don't have the tires I want. Don't tell my fellow Canadians I praised the USA they will revoke my citizenship
TallTourist is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-18, 10:04 PM
  #7  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 18,008
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5683 Post(s)
Originally Posted by TallTourist View Post
That's funny, I actually find USA companies to usually have a "can do" attitude . It's probably a big part of the reason why everywhere you go there are companies from the USA. REI sure stepped up to the plate Too bad they don't have the tires I want. Don't tell my fellow Canadians I praised the USA they will revoke my citizenship
Good to hear. I know a lot of E-Bay sellers only sell domestically, but many of them are micro businesses.

I suppose it might depend on where you are. Perhaps try your next tour in Nigeria
CliffordK is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-18, 01:05 AM
  #8  
jefnvk
Senior Member
 
jefnvk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Metro Detroit/AA
Posts: 7,057

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2948 Post(s)
Do you have anyone in Canada that could just buy the stuff and ship it to you, if you can't find a source to ship direct?
jefnvk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-18, 12:37 PM
  #9  
TallTourist
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
TallTourist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Touring Latin America Currently
Posts: 249

Bikes: Vivente Deccan XXXL Slightly modified

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
So if anyone's reading this I looked online and Chain Reaction Cycles which was bought by Ribble has terrible reviews online. Completely worthless ETAs for deliveries and orders being cancelled. With that kind of record I certainly won't be entrusting them to get me what I want.

I am contacting Benotto.com to see if they can send me some tires which are unlisted so my fingers are crossed but I'm not holding my breath.
TallTourist is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-18, 09:40 AM
  #10  
jefnvk
Senior Member
 
jefnvk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Metro Detroit/AA
Posts: 7,057

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2948 Post(s)
Originally Posted by TallTourist View Post
So if anyone's reading this I looked online and Chain Reaction Cycles which was bought by Ribble has terrible reviews online. Completely worthless ETAs for deliveries and orders being cancelled. With that kind of record I certainly won't be entrusting them to get me what I want.
I assume you mean for deliveries in the Latin America region? I've never had an issue with CRC.
jefnvk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-18, 01:28 PM
  #11  
TallTourist
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
TallTourist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Touring Latin America Currently
Posts: 249

Bikes: Vivente Deccan XXXL Slightly modified

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Originally Posted by jefnvk View Post
I assume you mean for deliveries in the Latin America region? I've never had an issue with CRC.
No, the complaints from people having orders cancelled or delivered either very late or with the wrong contents (t shirts and hats from a pizza place of all things in one review) were generally from Europe. After six or so reviews of this nature I stopped reading, I want to buy tires not gamble with time and money. I ran into a similar problem in August when I was in England trying to get some gear for camping. Lots of companies get bought out by someone and try to appear like the original company but the service goes down hill as ostensibly they are employing drop-shipping instead of keeping things in stock and lines of communication are apparently not good. Fortunately for me their websites all have telltale features that warn me to not bother.

Just curious, when did you order from them?

I'm guessing for you it's not as difficult because you have a somewhat permanent mailing address in the USA, right? Might help. I wouldn't be surprised if they sourced stuff already in the Americas and had it sent to you. At any rate, I'm not going to risk it. I already have to wait "2-3 weeks" for my Brooks saddle and once I get that I'm done screwing around waiting for deliveries. Seems like e-commerce has taken a nosedive lately when it comes to customer satisfaction. If I get really desperate I'll just burn up to Mexico city and grab what I can in fat 700c tires and continue my tour from there. Sounds like Schwalbes are hit and miss for quality too anyway. Guess I just got lucky with the ones I have so far.
TallTourist is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-18, 01:33 PM
  #12  
jefnvk
Senior Member
 
jefnvk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Metro Detroit/AA
Posts: 7,057

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2948 Post(s)
Originally Posted by TallTourist View Post
Just curious, when did you order from them?

I'm guessing for you it's not as difficult because you have a somewhat permanent mailing address in the USA, right? Might help. I wouldn't be surprised if they sourced stuff already in the Americas and had it sent to you.
One was late 2016, and the other in March or so 2017. Everything shipped from the UK, had it in my hands in less time than it took Niagara to get me my order that was placed on the same day. IIRC, a week and a day from the order on the second package.

I can understand the not wanting to gamble though, hopefully you find some place. I've had good luck the one time I ordered form Wiggle too.
jefnvk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-18, 03:23 PM
  #13  
TallTourist
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
TallTourist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Touring Latin America Currently
Posts: 249

Bikes: Vivente Deccan XXXL Slightly modified

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Originally Posted by jefnvk View Post
One was late 2016, and the other in March or so 2017. Everything shipped from the UK, had it in my hands in less time than it took Niagara to get me my order that was placed on the same day. IIRC, a week and a day from the order on the second package.

I can understand the not wanting to gamble though, hopefully you find some place. I've had good luck the one time I ordered form Wiggle too.
Yeah it's funny CRC's reviews are night and day, it's either horror stories or really good experiences like you've had.
TallTourist is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-18, 07:48 PM
  #14  
Alxbr
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Brazil
Posts: 22

Bikes: Fuji Jari 1.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I live in Brazil and got good experiences with Bike-Components

Just make sure that what you are buying they have it "in Stock" because sometimes its take longer than advertise days when ordering.
Alxbr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-18, 10:15 PM
  #15  
TallTourist
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
TallTourist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Touring Latin America Currently
Posts: 249

Bikes: Vivente Deccan XXXL Slightly modified

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Alxbr View Post
I live in Brazil and got good experiences with Bike-Components

Just make sure that what you are buying they have it "in Stock" because sometimes its take longer than advertise days when ordering.
Do you tour in Brasil? If so, I'd like to hear about it
TallTourist is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-18, 06:39 AM
  #16  
iohan.gue
Senior Member
 
iohan.gue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hey,

I had stuff shipped from JensonUSA to Colombia. (Had to enter 00000 at postal code field), delivery was 50$extra and also about 20% import duty (as long as value is under 200). They may do other countries. In peru you can pick up at post office for example, same with chile/argentina.
iohan.gue is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-18, 07:56 PM
  #17  
TallTourist
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
TallTourist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Touring Latin America Currently
Posts: 249

Bikes: Vivente Deccan XXXL Slightly modified

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Originally Posted by iohan.gue View Post
Hey,

I had stuff shipped from JensonUSA to Colombia. (Had to enter 00000 at postal code field), delivery was 50$extra and also about 20% import duty (as long as value is under 200). They may do other countries. In peru you can pick up at post office for example, same with chile/argentina.
Thanks Iohan! I'll give them a look Love your videos BTW and congrats on the citizenship, my fellow Canuck
TallTourist is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-18, 08:27 PM
  #18  
saddlesores
Senior Member
 
saddlesores's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bangkok!
Posts: 2,675

Bikes: inferior steel

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Originally Posted by TallTourist View Post
... ... ....
were you the tall guy looking for a big frame?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Soma-San-Ma...s/253414588503

saddlesores is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-18, 09:50 PM
  #19  
TallTourist
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
TallTourist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Touring Latin America Currently
Posts: 249

Bikes: Vivente Deccan XXXL Slightly modified

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Originally Posted by saddlesores View Post
were you the tall guy looking for a big frame?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Soma-San-Ma...s/253414588503

That's a beautiful and strong looking frame! Fortunately I found a company that sent me a bike within two weeks and I've had it since I think September Currently touring with it in Guatemala. My next bike's definitely going to be off-road oriented!
TallTourist is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service