Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Why do tubes lose air?

Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Why do tubes lose air?

Old 06-13-05, 04:34 PM
  #1  
Dellphinus
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Illinois (near St. Louis)
Posts: 852

Bikes: Specialized Expedition Sport, Surly LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why do tubes lose air?

New tube, out of the box. Installed, pumped up to 100 psi, trued the wheel, went to bed. Got ready to ride the next day, checked the tire, 80 psi. I had checked the tire for debris, rim for burrs, etc. prior to installing the tube. I've also noticed this on other tires/tubes as well. Where does it go? Poor tubes? Bad valve? Bad brand? Anybody else experience this?
Dellphinus is offline  
Old 06-13-05, 05:01 PM
  #2  
skydive69
Senior Member
 
skydive69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Seminole, FL
Posts: 2,258

Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dellphinus
New tube, out of the box. Installed, pumped up to 100 psi, trued the wheel, went to bed. Got ready to ride the next day, checked the tire, 80 psi. I had checked the tire for debris, rim for burrs, etc. prior to installing the tube. I've also noticed this on other tires/tubes as well. Where does it go? Poor tubes? Bad valve? Bad brand? Anybody else experience this?
They have a certain amount of porosity. Also, perhaps your air chuck removal technique needs honing. I notice that many let out more air than necessary in the way they remove said chuck.
skydive69 is offline  
Old 06-13-05, 08:31 PM
  #3  
Erick L
Lentement mais sûrement
 
Erick L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montréal
Posts: 2,240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
http://www.kenkifer.com./bikepages/humor/air.htm
Erick L is offline  
Old 06-13-05, 10:05 PM
  #4  
Belugadave
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Centennial, Colorado
Posts: 220

Bikes: 1999 LeMond Zurich and 2004 Giant OCR Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I HAVE definitely noticed that after installing a "new" tube that it ALWAYS needs to be pumped up again the next day and then they settle in and don't lose as much from there on. I don't know, maybe the rubber on new tubes is so tight that it doesn't fill out all the spaces in the tire at first, but give it a few hours and it stretches out and relaxes and therefore needs more air.
Belugadave is offline  
Old 06-14-05, 04:49 AM
  #5  
skydive69
Senior Member
 
skydive69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Seminole, FL
Posts: 2,258

Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Belugadave
I HAVE definitely noticed that after installing a "new" tube that it ALWAYS needs to be pumped up again the next day and then they settle in and don't lose as much from there on. I don't know, maybe the rubber on new tubes is so tight that it doesn't fill out all the spaces in the tire at first, but give it a few hours and it stretches out and relaxes and therefore needs more air.
I ride every day, and want to ride at a certain pressure. The next day, my tires are not at that pressure regardless of the age/brand/type of tube used. Bottom line: I pump up my tires every day.
skydive69 is offline  
Old 06-14-05, 04:35 PM
  #6  
Belugadave
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Centennial, Colorado
Posts: 220

Bikes: 1999 LeMond Zurich and 2004 Giant OCR Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skydive69
I ride every day, and want to ride at a certain pressure. The next day, my tires are not at that pressure regardless of the age/brand/type of tube used. Bottom line: I pump up my tires every day.
I agree, I like to ride at a certain pressure and pump mine up almost every time I ride. Sometimes I go a day or two and don't pump them up if I'm just going out for a casual ride. You are right, ALL tubes lose air and if you notice I said they "don't lose as much" after that very first day, but I've just noticed that the first day they seem to lose a lot more pressure than they do after that. Keep on pumpin'.
Belugadave is offline  
Old 06-14-05, 04:43 PM
  #7  
konageezer
Gravel for Breakfast
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Inside my scabs
Posts: 1,486

Bikes: Jake

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's because of "molecules."
konageezer is offline  
Old 06-14-05, 05:19 PM
  #8  
webist
Huachuca Rider
 
webist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 4,275

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maintaining tire pressure is frequently recommended to save fuel and increase safety in motor vehicles. Bike tires are smaller, thinner, and pressurized a good deal higher. I am not surprised that I need to pump them up so often.
__________________
Just Peddlin' Around
webist is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.