Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Brooks panniers

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Brooks panniers

Old 04-02-18, 04:54 PM
  #1  
52telecaster
ambulatory senior
Thread Starter
 
52telecaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Peoria Il
Posts: 3,393

Bikes: Bob Jackson World Tour, Falcon and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 256 Posts
Brooks panniers

https://www.brooksengland.com/en_us/...pannier-2.html
https://www.brooksengland.com/en_us/...pannier-2.html

my local bike shop had both of these panniers on clearance. the larger ones for 100/ea and the smaller ones for 85/ea.

they gave me an additional discount for buying all for so i put them on layaway. they seem to get good reviews and i tour every year, what do you guys think? are they worth it or am i crazy?
52telecaster is offline  
Old 04-02-18, 05:34 PM
  #2  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 8,182

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame, Proteus frame, Ti 26 MTB

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2207 Post(s)
Liked 1,138 Times in 795 Posts
I believe they use the Ortlieb hook system which is well regarded. However for 100 per pannier I would just go with a set of Ortlieb Back Roller Classics for 180. You get the same attachment system but it doesn't say Brooks on it and is still quite waterproof.
veganbikes is offline  
Old 04-02-18, 05:45 PM
  #3  
52telecaster
ambulatory senior
Thread Starter
 
52telecaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Peoria Il
Posts: 3,393

Bikes: Bob Jackson World Tour, Falcon and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
I believe they use the Ortlieb hook system which is well regarded. However for 100 per pannier I would just go with a set of Ortlieb Back Roller Classics for 180. You get the same attachment system but it doesn't say Brooks on it and is still quite waterproof.
thanks for the input. i believe the brooks are actually made by ortlieb so there is much validity in what you say!
52telecaster is offline  
Old 04-02-18, 05:49 PM
  #4  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 8,182

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame, Proteus frame, Ti 26 MTB

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2207 Post(s)
Liked 1,138 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster View Post
thanks for the input. i believe the brooks are actually made by ortlieb so there is much validity in what you say!
No worries. I couldn't tell you who makes Brooks panniers but it would make sense they could be made by Ortlieb.
veganbikes is offline  
Old 04-02-18, 07:52 PM
  #5  
seeker333
-
 
seeker333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,865

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Brooks' Lands End bags look a lot like rebranded Ortlieb Plus Roller series bags (with QL2 fasteners), minus the shoulder strap. Without the strap they close similar to Ortlieb City bags, but with added capability to cinch straps down some when bags are not full. The LxWxD dimensions of the Brooks are identical to Ortlieb Rollers, and volume ratings approximately the same as well. I guess it comes down to personal preference of color, brand, any useful warranty, and perceived value. Plus you are helping a LBS which you presumably value.
seeker333 is offline  
Old 04-02-18, 08:03 PM
  #6  
52telecaster
ambulatory senior
Thread Starter
 
52telecaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Peoria Il
Posts: 3,393

Bikes: Bob Jackson World Tour, Falcon and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by seeker333 View Post
Brooks' Lands End bags look a lot like rebranded Ortlieb Plus Roller series bags (with QL2 fasteners), minus the shoulder strap. Without the strap they close similar to Ortlieb City bags, but with added capability to cinch straps down some when bags are not full. The LxWxD dimensions of the Brooks are identical to Ortlieb Rollers, and volume ratings approximately the same as well. I guess it comes down to personal preference of color, brand, any useful warranty, and perceived value. Plus you are helping a LBS which you presumably value.
i used to work there so yeah....
52telecaster is offline  
Old 04-03-18, 04:46 PM
  #7  
djb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 11,444
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2045 Post(s)
Liked 471 Times in 401 Posts
its been a while since Ive seen these in real life, but I seem to remember them being well made and with some differences to Ortliebs--canvasy webbing on the side for the buckles (less long lasting than nylon webbing?) , no center attachment like on the rollers that you can attach a rack pack to (similar to the city rollers that do not have them)

the rest seems to me to be an aesthetic thing, with the colours and clip webbing to be all earthy tones and all "Brooksy" , like their saddles and leather bar tape (not to mention twice as expensive practically as other good similar panniers, at least here in Canada. Its not a surprise to me that they havent sold that many of them.)

Im sure they are well made and will last a long time, Im partial to lighter colours, but that said, I have an older set of Ortliebs I bought used and are black and I commute with them all the time.

guess you need to evaluate how much you like how they look vs ortliebs or other waterproof brands like Arkel etc.
djb is offline  
Old 04-03-18, 04:55 PM
  #8  
fietsbob
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,599

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,310 Times in 823 Posts
Klick Fix Sells their fittings to other bag makers , in bulk.. Ortlieb does not , AFAIK.









.....

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-04-18 at 04:26 PM.
fietsbob is offline  
Old 04-03-18, 07:05 PM
  #9  
Tourist in MSN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 8,039

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, Perfekt 3 Speed -age unknown, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 469 Times in 385 Posts
Do I understand you to mean that the pair of front and pair of rear would cost 2 X $100 + 2 X $85?

I am not sure what the "additional discount" is but if it is not very much, if they were a re-branded city version of the Ortliebs you could get a much better deal elsewhere and have a choice of colors. You could get the Frontroller and Backroller panniers for less than the Brooks without the "additional discount".

I prefer the roller version because of the strap over the top. On the fronts I often strap my rain gear or damp laundry on top of the pannier with that strap.

Considering that, their clearance sale price before "additional discount" is not a very good price unless you really like the Brooks label compared to a choice of colors for the city panniers.
Tourist in MSN is offline  
Old 04-03-18, 07:18 PM
  #10  
djb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 11,444
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2045 Post(s)
Liked 471 Times in 401 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN View Post
Do I understand you to mean that the pair of front and pair of rear would cost 2 X $100 + 2 X $85?

I am not sure what the "additional discount" is but if it is not very much, if they were a re-branded city version of the Ortliebs you could get a much better deal elsewhere and have a choice of colors. You could get the Frontroller and Backroller panniers for less than the Brooks without the "additional discount".

I prefer the roller version because of the strap over the top. On the fronts I often strap my rain gear or damp laundry on top of the pannier with that strap.

Considering that, their clearance sale price before "additional discount" is not a very good price unless you really like the Brooks label compared to a choice of colors for the city panniers.
I forgot to mention this. A very handy feature and I too have strapped a jacket or even water bottles onto the top of my front panniers using this strap, and the rears would work the same, although Ive been using a rackpack lately for my longer trips.
djb is offline  
Old 04-04-18, 09:11 AM
  #11  
Tourist in MSN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 8,039

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, Perfekt 3 Speed -age unknown, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 469 Times in 385 Posts
Originally Posted by djb View Post
I forgot to mention this. A very handy feature and I too have strapped a jacket or even water bottles onto the top of my front panniers using this strap, and the rears would work the same, although Ive been using a rackpack lately for my longer trips.
Yeah, in the first photo I am wearing my rain jacket but the rain pants are strapped on the left front pannier. Cable lock is strapped on top of left rear pannier. Second photo my rain jacket is on top of the left front pannier.

The roller type panniers take time to get into or out of, and when you feel a few drops sometimes you want to get the rain gear on REALLY FAST. So, this is my favorite place to store rain gear.

On my Pacific Coast trip, sometimes I strapped water bottles on a front pannier. Damp laundry too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
041.jpg (213.7 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg
039.jpg (243.3 KB, 62 views)
Tourist in MSN is offline  
Old 04-04-18, 04:15 PM
  #12  
52telecaster
ambulatory senior
Thread Starter
 
52telecaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Peoria Il
Posts: 3,393

Bikes: Bob Jackson World Tour, Falcon and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 256 Posts
hey awesome info from everyone.

thank you very much!
52telecaster is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
spectastic
Touring
62
09-26-15 06:21 PM
agent pombero
Commuting
9
06-05-13 01:10 PM
tate65
Touring
5
02-27-12 02:58 PM
koamileli
Touring
27
12-24-10 01:11 PM
mainstreetexile
Classic & Vintage
19
12-13-10 01:57 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.