Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on the new Trek 520

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Thoughts on the new Trek 520

Old 08-26-18, 04:35 PM
  #51  
 
BigAura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chapin, SC
Posts: 3,423

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
more efficient production wins...just QBP/Surly uses Maxway , that hires a zillion people skilled as TIG welders.
More than likely your efficiency is coming from robots, and not a zillion "skilled-people" welders. Other than for highly gifted artisans, welding-skills have no future, as a way to earn a living.

Last edited by BigAura; 08-27-18 at 04:01 PM.
BigAura is offline  
Old 08-26-18, 10:13 PM
  #52  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,598

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 863 Posts
Done any TIG Welding?
fietsbob is offline  
Old 08-27-18, 10:29 AM
  #53  
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 16,703

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11046 Post(s)
Liked 7,595 Times in 4,235 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
I dunno, no reason an alu fork wont work fine. Cannondale made great touring bikes in alu for ages.
Werent Cdale forks steel though? My '93 T700 frame has a steel fork.
mstateglfr is offline  
Old 08-27-18, 10:41 AM
  #54  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
I dunno, no reason an alu fork wont work fine. Cannondale made great touring bikes in alu for ages.
Who else makes an aluminum touring bike ?
pakeboi is offline  
Old 08-27-18, 02:00 PM
  #55  
djb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 13,244
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2748 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 801 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Werent Cdale forks steel though? My '93 T700 frame has a steel fork.
good question. Thought they were all alum but maybe wrong. I actually have a T800 or something of a friend in my house , so can check. Bike is from about 2002-3-4 or thereabouts.

-------HA, just went down and took my little magnet that I use to remove bearings from hubs when I overhaul them, and sure enough, the fork is steel!

kinda funny, here is this Cannondale reknowned alum touring bike, uses a steel fork, where this reknowned Trek touring bike is now the inverse.
djb is offline  
Old 08-27-18, 02:19 PM
  #56  
-
 
seeker333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,865

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
good question. Thought they were all alum but maybe wrong. I actually have a T800 or something of a friend in my house , so can check. Bike is from about 2002-3-4 or thereabouts.

-------HA, just went down and took my little magnet that I use to remove bearings from hubs when I overhaul them, and sure enough, the fork is steel!

kinda funny, here is this Cannondale reknowned alum touring bike, uses a steel fork, where this reknowned Trek touring bike is now the inverse.
Cannondale was using Al forks on their made-in-PA MTBs by at least >94. My mid-level 1995 M500 had a Pepperoni fork - and they were nicer looking than what Trek is putting on their 520 25 years later.
seeker333 is offline  
Old 08-27-18, 03:47 PM
  #57  
Senior Member
 
Ghazmh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: The banks of the River Charles
Posts: 2,029

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
I wonder if we'll see the 520 axed in a few years? These changes aren't in keeping with what makes a touring bike a good touring bike IMHO, feel free to disagree. It'll do the job but it's too many compromises.
Ghazmh is offline  
Old 08-27-18, 05:23 PM
  #58  
Crawler
 
linus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: OH~ CANADA
Posts: 1,410
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAura
More than likely your efficiency is coming from robots, and not a zillion "skilled-people" welders. Other than for highly gifted artisans, welding-skills have no future, as a way to earn a living.
Jeez. Check stats before you speak.
linus is offline  
Likes For linus:
Old 08-28-18, 07:38 PM
  #59  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Treasure Coast, FL
Posts: 991

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh
I wonder if we'll see the 520 axed in a few years? These changes aren't in keeping with what makes a touring bike a good touring bike IMHO, feel free to disagree. It'll do the job but it's too many compromises.
This is my concern. I have a hunter green 2015 520, and I love it. It's got a heavy ride, but it loves to move. He rides like a nimble tank and his name is Lieutenant Dan.* I crashed the bike while commuting to work into a stockade fence and bent the front fork. It was still ridable, but I called my wife to come get me due to some bruised ribs on my body. Had this happened on a tour, I could have still ridden it without any concerns for a while. With an aluminum fork, I doubt this would be possible. The 520 has such a loyal cult following, why would Trek make these changes?

*Lieutenant Dan was named by my wife after I returned home from bringing him to my LBS to be fixed. She saw my sad face and asked what was wrong with my bike. When I told her it needed a new front fork, she replied, "Don't worry, Hun. Lieutenant Dan will be home soon." When I gave her a confused look she replied in her best Forrest Gump voice, "Lieutenant Dan! You got new legs!"
Bassmanbob is offline  
Old 08-28-18, 07:44 PM
  #60  
 
BigAura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chapin, SC
Posts: 3,423

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by linus
Jeez. Check stats before you speak.
Thanks, it sounds like you know what you're talking about. How about some stats links? I would love to see how artisans are taking over, and robot-factories are languishing.
BigAura is offline  
Old 08-29-18, 10:38 AM
  #61  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA
Posts: 1,257

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
This is my concern. I have a hunter green 2015 520, and I love it. It's got a heavy ride, but it loves to move. He rides like a nimble tank and his name is Lieutenant Dan.* I crashed the bike while commuting to work into a stockade fence and bent the front fork. It was still ridable, but I called my wife to come get me due to some bruised ribs on my body. Had this happened on a tour, I could have still ridden it without any concerns for a while. With an aluminum fork, I doubt this would be possible. The 520 has such a loyal cult following, why would Trek make these changes?

*Lieutenant Dan was named by my wife after I returned home from bringing him to my LBS to be fixed. She saw my sad face and asked what was wrong with my bike. When I told her it needed a new front fork, she replied, "Don't worry, Hun. Lieutenant Dan will be home soon." When I gave her a confused look she replied in her best Forrest Gump voice, "Lieutenant Dan! You got new legs!"
You work in a stockade fence?
__________________
Don't complain about the weather and cower in fear. It's all good weather. Just different.
revcp is offline  
Old 08-29-18, 07:18 PM
  #62  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Treasure Coast, FL
Posts: 991

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by revcp
You work in a stockade fence?
excuse me for a poorly phrased sentence. I ran into a stockade fence while commuting to work.
Bassmanbob is offline  
Old 08-29-18, 08:03 PM
  #63  
djb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 13,244
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2748 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 801 Posts
naw, it was clear enough.
It was however, a rather interesting visual that came to mind, of some guy riding into a stockade fence hard enough to bend a fork and ding ribs....
that'll teach ya from visiting the saloon before work.
djb is offline  
Old 08-30-18, 03:28 AM
  #64  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Treasure Coast, FL
Posts: 991

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
naw, it was clear enough.
It was however, a rather interesting visual that came to mind, of some guy riding into a stockade fence hard enough to bend a fork and ding ribs....
that'll teach ya from visiting the saloon before work.
LOL. I was riding the sidewalk on a busy road with no bike lane. The sidewalk curved into and then away from the driveway to my right. I was not paying attention and over steered the front tire to the left into a rut right where the grass meets the cement. As I tried to get the front tire out of the rut, I over corrected and rammed head on, right into the stockade fence. I came off the bike and clothes lined my body onto the top of the stockade fence. I still have two faint, but visible parallel diagonal lines on my body from me hitting the top of the 2 X 6 two years later.

OK. I've derailed this thread enough. Back to the new 520.
Bassmanbob is offline  
Old 08-30-18, 05:26 AM
  #65  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA
Posts: 1,257

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
We all do that.

Originally Posted by Bassmanbob

excuse me for a poorly phrased sentence. I ran into a stockade fence while commuting to work.
Didn't mean to offend. Just funnin'.
revcp is offline  
Old 08-30-18, 08:29 AM
  #66  
djb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 13,244
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2748 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 801 Posts
Originally Posted by revcp
Didn't mean to offend. Just funnin'.
me too,
will make a good story one day to tell the grandkids
djb is offline  
Old 08-30-18, 12:52 PM
  #67  
Senior Member
 
phughes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,132
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1060 Post(s)
Liked 1,319 Times in 759 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAura
More than likely your efficiency is coming from robots, and not a zillion "skilled-people" welders. Other than for highly gifted artisans, welding-skills have no future, as a way to earn a living.
Bwahahahahaha!
phughes is offline  
Old 08-30-18, 12:53 PM
  #68  
Senior Member
 
phughes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,132
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1060 Post(s)
Liked 1,319 Times in 759 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAura
Thanks, it sounds like you know what you're talking about. How about some stats links? I would love to see how artisans are taking over, and robot-factories are languishing.
https://www.theatlantic.com/business...he-gap/567434/


Last edited by phughes; 08-30-18 at 12:56 PM.
phughes is offline  
Old 08-30-18, 11:56 PM
  #69  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 29 Posts
A look at the controversial changes to the frame, fork and components of the 2019 Trek 520 model .
https://www.cyclingabout.com/2019-tr...-touring-bike/
pakeboi is offline  
Old 08-31-18, 07:36 AM
  #70  
Crawler
 
linus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: OH~ CANADA
Posts: 1,410
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAura
Thanks, it sounds like you know what you're talking about. How about some stats links? I would love to see how artisans are taking over, and robot-factories are languishing.
Try Google and read some news online. The level of ignorance is too much for me to worth my time.
linus is offline  
Old 08-31-18, 09:36 AM
  #71  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,598

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 863 Posts
Originally Posted by pakeboi
Who else makes an aluminum touring bike ?
NL Koga, uses 7005 Aluminum for their frames.. fastest cycle around the world

solo rider ,* used Koga bikes..
fietsbob is offline  
Old 08-31-18, 05:50 PM
  #72  
 
BigAura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chapin, SC
Posts: 3,423

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Cool! I stand corrected as far as welding jobs, in general. Although I didn't see bicycle frames addressed. But hey, I guess you guys are right
BigAura is offline  
Old 08-31-18, 05:51 PM
  #73  
 
BigAura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chapin, SC
Posts: 3,423

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by linus
Try Google and read some news online. The level of ignorance is too much for me to worth my time.
Huh? You just wasted your soooo valuable time, but others were more considerate! Thanks to you anyway!!!

Last edited by BigAura; 08-31-18 at 05:54 PM.
BigAura is offline  
Old 08-31-18, 05:57 PM
  #74  
Senior Member
 
phughes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,132
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1060 Post(s)
Liked 1,319 Times in 759 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAura
Cool! I stand corrected as far as welding jobs, in general. Although I didn't see bicycle frames addressed. But hey, I guess you guys are right
Yeah, it made me consider learning how to weld. lol
phughes is offline  
Old 08-31-18, 06:09 PM
  #75  
 
BigAura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chapin, SC
Posts: 3,423

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
Yeah, it made me consider learning how to weld. lol
As an early-teen kid my father taught me brazing and I enjoyed building & repairing bikes, mini-bikes, and go-carts. Fun times, but I didn't keep it up, and seemingly not applicable to todays market.
BigAura is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.