Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Ortlieb and Carradice Panniers

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Ortlieb and Carradice Panniers

Old 07-22-20, 10:37 AM
  #1  
David78
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ortlieb and Carradice Panniers

Hi all - I'm considering buying either ortlieb front and back roller classics or carradice carradry front and rear. Though I was surprised that neither of such well thought out pannier offers mesh outer pockets for storing wet gear and letting the sun dry it out while riding. For those that have either ortlieb or carradice how do u handle this? In other words where do you put your wet tent if its rained the night before? Thanks.
David78 is offline  
Old 07-22-20, 11:54 AM
  #2  
Happy Feet
Senior Member
 
Happy Feet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Left Coast, Canada
Posts: 4,236
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1718 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 406 Posts
I have the front Carradry bags but don't keep my tent there. It either goes in a front handlebar roll or between the panniers on the rear rack. They have a more traditional drawstring collar and lid compared to the roll up Ortlieb system but stuff would still not dry in there.

For wet stuff like socks or jackets I use a bungee mesh net that clips over the rear rack area.
Happy Feet is offline  
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 07-22-20, 12:44 PM
  #3  
fietsbob
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,598

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,283 Times in 801 Posts
Ortlieb has a mesh add on pocket, their add-ons typically are fitted to the ends of the bags
they are shown to expand to let you put your helmet in it.


Maybe get a mesh laundry bag, and you can secure it on the top of your rear rack load .. so things wont fall out..& Off..
My tent is put in a stuff sack not particularly water repellent, I put it up wet the next stop, if its not raining again, then is when it dries
fietsbob is offline  
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 07-22-20, 01:11 PM
  #4  
pdlamb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: northern Deep South
Posts: 6,090

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 247 Posts
The old Ortlieb X-packers had zippered mesh pockets, but when something needed to be dried, I tucked it over the rack with a cargo net:
https://www.amazon.com/Topeak-Cargo-...dp/B0038F1EJK/
pdlamb is offline  
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 07-22-20, 02:17 PM
  #5  
Tourist in MSN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 7,120

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, Perfekt 3 Speed -age unknown, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 257 Times in 218 Posts
My tent is usually wet in the morning from dew. I just put the damp tent in the front right pannier. And I put other stuff in that pannier that I do not mind if it gets damp from the tent. For the several hours that the damp tent is packed, nothing bad happens to it. But I am putting the tent up every night, if I stay indoors somewhere for a night the tent gets pulled out of the bag.

The Ortlieb Front Roller and Back Roller panniers have a strap that goes over the top of the pannier. Sometimes I put damp clothing in a mesh bag and strap it to the top of the front pannier. I also often store my rain gear under that strap so the rain gear is handy at all times. But that only works on the roller panniers, others lack that strap.

I have both Orlieb roller panniers and the Carradry panniers. The Ortliebs I think will last longer, as they have thicker material. But Ortliebs are heavier. I bought my Ortliebs in 2008 and 2010. Although the Carradry use a thinner material, they should still hold up well for an occasional bike tour. But, if you were going to use the panniers for every day commuting for decades, buy the Ortliebs.

About five years ago, bought the rear Carradry for a specific trip where I would need more capacity, the rear Carradry are bigger. To make a long story short, that trip did not happen. But after that, every year I wondered which panniers to use. Finally last summer, I used the rear Carradry panniers for a five week trip. They worked fine. But, there were some sewn thru seams on the Carradry that leaked, for example where the Carradry patch was sewn onto the pannier.

The Carradry rear pannier lower hook would not work with my Tubus Logo rear rack. I instead made a new lower hook out of aluminum bar (3/4 X 1/8 inch) and stretched some inner tube rubber over that, that was the only way I could get the Carradry panniers to work with that rack. First photo. The Ortliebs I think are better for working with a variety of racks.



I do not recall what the claimed Carradry volume was, but I think they are close to about 52 liters for the rear pair which is less than they claimed. Ortlieb back rollers I think are accurate at 40 liters.

Carradry below in back, some garage sale cheap ones on front. I could have used the Ortlieb front rollers on front, but instead I used some other cheap panniers on the front with my rear Carradry in back since the gray and gray seemed to make sense. When I got home from the trip where the photo below was taken, I sealed up the seams on the inside where there were sewn thru seams like behind the Carradry patch. They should be dry next time.



Different trip, Ortlieb Rollers below: The Ortlieb 31 liter Rack Pack on top of the Back Rollers, they are designed to easily clip on together. I mentioned above that when I use my Ortliebs I often strap rain gear or damp clothes on top of the Front Roller, my rain pants are strapped on the front right pannier in the photo below, you can't see it well in that photo but my red rain jacket is strapped on top of the left side front pannier.



In the future, I will decide from one trip to the next which panniers to use on each trip. The Ortliebs are a bit heavier, a bit smaller and a bit more waterproof.

I also bought the Carradry front panniers, but all the straps were too short which made them difficult to use. Happy Feet who commented above on his Carradry bought his panniers more recently and they apparantly used enough strap material on his, so that suggests they improved them after I bought mine.

My Ortliebs have an older style set of hooks that they no longer use. But I think the newer Ortliebs also automatically open the latch on the hooks when you lift on the strap handle to lift the panniers off the rack. That is one thing I like about the Ortliebs, but the Carrady upper hooks support the bag adequately too.



Mesh bag (black with yellow zipper) with damp clothes strapped on top of the blue drybag on top of the rear rack below.


Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 07-22-20 at 02:26 PM.
Tourist in MSN is offline  
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 07-22-20, 03:41 PM
  #6  
Steve0000
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 221

Bikes: LHT disc, Cannondale CAAD8, Cannondale Super 6, Avanti Agressor MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I use a rack pack for my tent. If it is wet, I isolate the fly and put it in a trash bag in the rack pack to keep it away from the dry inner. Works fine.
Steve0000 is offline  
Likes For Steve0000:
Old 07-22-20, 05:04 PM
  #7  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 27,483
Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11720 Post(s)
Liked 3,555 Times in 1,893 Posts
Tent goes on the rear rack. Itís not the wicked witch of the west. It wonít melt if you store it wet. Show me a pannier that has a large enough mesh pocket for a tent and fly. And what would you do if it rains mid-day? If you get to camp with a wet tent and itís dry out, the tent will dry amazingly quickly.
indyfabz is online now  
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-23-20, 05:12 AM
  #8  
mbusky
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Outdoors as much as I can
Posts: 69

Bikes: REI's COOP AVD1.1 touring bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Dewy tents in the AM are the reason one carries coffee with them. The morning sun if it visits dries the tent while you enjoy that magical cup while listening to mother nature morning calls. If no sun, then a mesh stuff sack on top of the rear loaded racks or slung onto the h-bars will do till later in the day when you can spread it out in the noon sun while enjoying... what else but a magically wonderful, you guessed it, afternoon cup of coffee under a nice shade tree.
mbusky is offline  
Likes For mbusky:
Old 07-23-20, 08:24 AM
  #9  
David78
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Tent goes on the rear rack. Itís not the wicked witch of the west. It wonít melt if you store it wet. Show me a pannier that has a large enough mesh pocket for a tent and fly. And what would you do if it rains mid-day? If you get to camp with a wet tent and itís dry out, the tent will dry amazingly quickly.
I misspoke. I use an ultralight 1.1 oz / square yard tarp 8'x10' and tyvek or mylar ground cloth. My tarp and folded ground cloth easily fit in a 12 inch deep x 4 inch wide mesh pocket which could be strategically placed by any pannier manufacturer on nearly any sized pannier 10 L or larger. Thanks for making me to clarify.
David78 is offline  
Old 07-23-20, 08:32 AM
  #10  
David78
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN View Post
My tent is usually wet in the morning from dew. I just put the damp tent in the front right pannier. And I put other stuff in that pannier that I do not mind if it gets damp from the tent. For the several hours that the damp tent is packed, nothing bad happens to it. But I am putting the tent up every night, if I stay indoors somewhere for a night the tent gets pulled out of the bag.

The Ortlieb Front Roller and Back Roller panniers have a strap that goes over the top of the pannier. Sometimes I put damp clothing in a mesh bag and strap it to the top of the front pannier. I also often store my rain gear under that strap so the rain gear is handy at all times. But that only works on the roller panniers, others lack that strap.

I have both Orlieb roller panniers and the Carradry panniers. The Ortliebs I think will last longer, as they have thicker material. But Ortliebs are heavier. I bought my Ortliebs in 2008 and 2010. Although the Carradry use a thinner material, they should still hold up well for an occasional bike tour. But, if you were going to use the panniers for every day commuting for decades, buy the Ortliebs.

About five years ago, bought the rear Carradry for a specific trip where I would need more capacity, the rear Carradry are bigger. To make a long story short, that trip did not happen. But after that, every year I wondered which panniers to use. Finally last summer, I used the rear Carradry panniers for a five week trip. They worked fine. But, there were some sewn thru seams on the Carradry that leaked, for example where the Carradry patch was sewn onto the pannier.

The Carradry rear pannier lower hook would not work with my Tubus Logo rear rack. I instead made a new lower hook out of aluminum bar (3/4 X 1/8 inch) and stretched some inner tube rubber over that, that was the only way I could get the Carradry panniers to work with that rack. First photo. The Ortliebs I think are better for working with a variety of racks.



I do not recall what the claimed Carradry volume was, but I think they are close to about 52 liters for the rear pair which is less than they claimed. Ortlieb back rollers I think are accurate at 40 liters.

Carradry below in back, some garage sale cheap ones on front. I could have used the Ortlieb front rollers on front, but instead I used some other cheap panniers on the front with my rear Carradry in back since the gray and gray seemed to make sense. When I got home from the trip where the photo below was taken, I sealed up the seams on the inside where there were sewn thru seams like behind the Carradry patch. They should be dry next time.



Different trip, Ortlieb Rollers below: The Ortlieb 31 liter Rack Pack on top of the Back Rollers, they are designed to easily clip on together. I mentioned above that when I use my Ortliebs I often strap rain gear or damp clothes on top of the Front Roller, my rain pants are strapped on the front right pannier in the photo below, you can't see it well in that photo but my red rain jacket is strapped on top of the left side front pannier.



In the future, I will decide from one trip to the next which panniers to use on each trip. The Ortliebs are a bit heavier, a bit smaller and a bit more waterproof.

I also bought the Carradry front panniers, but all the straps were too short which made them difficult to use. Happy Feet who commented above on his Carradry bought his panniers more recently and they apparantly used enough strap material on his, so that suggests they improved them after I bought mine.

My Ortliebs have an older style set of hooks that they no longer use. But I think the newer Ortliebs also automatically open the latch on the hooks when you lift on the strap handle to lift the panniers off the rack. That is one thing I like about the Ortliebs, but the Carrady upper hooks support the bag adequately too.



Mesh bag (black with yellow zipper) with damp clothes strapped on top of the blue drybag on top of the rear rack below.

Truly awesome. Thanks for the detailed reply. Where did you purchase your Carradice panniers? I've run into an issue in that the few carradice dealers in the US have priced the panniers beyond the exchange rate and import tax rate of 30-60%! That is absurd and insulting. I think I can order from Carradice direct from England and save a lot of money but they only have British pound prices. Will I get the exchange rate? They have yet to get back to me.
David78 is offline  
Old 07-23-20, 08:57 AM
  #11  
IPassGas
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 123

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by mbusky View Post
Dewy tents in the AM are the reason one carries coffee with them. The morning sun if it visits dries the tent while you enjoy that magical cup while listening to mother nature morning calls. If no sun, then a mesh stuff sack on top of the rear loaded racks or slung onto the h-bars will do till later in the day when you can spread it out in the noon sun while enjoying... what else but a magically wonderful, you guessed it, afternoon cup of coffee under a nice shade tree.
Well said, one of the joys on tour is early morning coffee, warms the parts. And don't forget the boiled eggs!
IPassGas is offline  
Old 07-23-20, 06:01 PM
  #12  
Tourist in MSN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 7,120

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, Perfekt 3 Speed -age unknown, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 257 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by David78 View Post
Truly awesome. Thanks for the detailed reply. Where did you purchase your Carradice panniers? I've run into an issue in that the few carradice dealers in the US have priced the panniers beyond the exchange rate and import tax rate of 30-60%! That is absurd and insulting. I think I can order from Carradice direct from England and save a lot of money but they only have British pound prices. Will I get the exchange rate? They have yet to get back to me.
I was sure you would want a comparison of Carradry and Ortliebs, although you did not ask.

You did not say where you are located, I am in USA. Most Europe sellers will not charge VAT tax on shipments to USA. Usually you can buy stuff from Europe without paying customs duty if the total is not a lot of money. The only time I had to pay customs duty on a shipment from Europe to USA was on a frame that also had a lot of stuff in the same shipping box, total was well over $1k USD.

I bought the Carradry panniers from Evans Cycles in the UK in March 2015. I just checked their website, I do not know if they are temporarily out of stock or if they no longer sell them.
https://www.evanscycles.com/carradic...-pair-00103567

Sometimes Ortliebs can be bought at a good price at Sierra Trading Post, but stock and choices is limited when they have then.

I just threw Carradry panniers price into Google, got lots of hits. One hit was SJS. They will not charge the VAT tax on shipments to USA, they ship to USA often so they know how the game is played. The frame I cited above where I paid duty, that was from SJS and that frame became the bike that is in the photos above in this thread.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/luggage/...grey-58-litre/

I used Seam Grip seam brand sealer to seal the sewn through seams on my Carradry after I had trouble with the water getting in.

In the past, I usually received packages from Europe in one to two weeks, but on rare occasions three weeks. But a lot of freight crosses the Atlantic in passenger aircraft. And a lot of passenger aircraft are not flying these days, so do not be surprised if there are delays beyond that.

Ask Happy Feet where he bought his.
Tourist in MSN is offline  
Old 07-23-20, 11:04 PM
  #13  
Happy Feet
Senior Member
 
Happy Feet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Left Coast, Canada
Posts: 4,236
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1718 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 406 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN View Post
...Ask Happy Feet where he bought his.
Direct from Carradice. I like their service.

Currently, from them the fronts are 50 pounds + 20 shipping (70) which is about 89.12 USD.
The rears are 74.17 + 35 (109.17) which is about 139 USD.

I just looked at the SJS link and after shipping they are 182.39 USD even though they list the sale price as cheaper than Carradice.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 07-23-20 at 11:08 PM.
Happy Feet is offline  
Old 07-24-20, 06:07 AM
  #14  
Tourist in MSN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 7,120

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, Perfekt 3 Speed -age unknown, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 257 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet View Post
...
I just looked at the SJS link and after shipping they are 182.39 USD even though they list the sale price as cheaper than Carradice.
That surprised me enough that I double checked. Yup, they are charging over a hundred bucks for shipping. I suspect that the shipping disruptions around the globe due to Covid caused something to go weird here, I think that is about the same price that I paid for shipping a bike frame with a bunch of other parts in the box from SJS in 2013.

When I bought my Carradry panniers from Evans five years ago, shipping was free (order was big enough for free shipping).
Tourist in MSN is offline  
Old 07-24-20, 09:58 AM
  #15  
Happy Feet
Senior Member
 
Happy Feet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Left Coast, Canada
Posts: 4,236
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1718 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 406 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN View Post
That surprised me enough that I double checked. Yup, they are charging over a hundred bucks for shipping. I suspect that the shipping disruptions around the globe due to Covid caused something to go weird here, I think that is about the same price that I paid for shipping a bike frame with a bunch of other parts in the box from SJS in 2013.

When I bought my Carradry panniers from Evans five years ago, shipping was free (order was big enough for free shipping).
Yep. Since an early fiasco where I got stuck with a $50 brokerage fee I always look at the shipping cost part of things. Amazon is ridiculous for that sometimes.

Recently I've done a spate of ordering.
Chain reaction has free shipping over $150 so I try to wait until I pass that point. They have shipped fast though.
Brooks was not bad ($10) and about 1.5 weeks.
Carradice usually is really good but I've been 3 weeks waiting for this last order so I have to email today. They predicted 2 weeks. Could just be slow handling but their customer service is great so I'm not worried.

The big surprise has been MEC, the Canadian version of REI. 4 days! and free shipping over $50. They use expedited post in an attempt (I think) to maintain customer loyalty during this period. I only wish they had more selection. The've been restructuring to stop losses and part of that has been to streamline their inventory so there are only a few options in each category.
Happy Feet is offline  
Old 07-24-20, 02:24 PM
  #16  
Tourist in MSN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 7,120

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, Perfekt 3 Speed -age unknown, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 257 Times in 218 Posts
My last SJS order was in 2018, 10 quid for shipping, that order had a Thorn part that is not sold anywhere eise. Order before that was in 2017, shipping was 35 quid and that order with shipping had a total cost that was a lot less than I would have paid in USA for those parts, a lot of those parts went onto my Lynskey. (I am using the slang term quid here for British pound so nobody tells me I am an idiot for saying the British don't use kilograms.)
Tourist in MSN is offline  
Old 07-25-20, 04:27 PM
  #17  
NormanF
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,737
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Most people who tour go with the Ortlieb Plus panniers because they’re built to last a lifetime and you’ve already spent the money on a touring bike, the price of the panniers become a secondary consideration.
NormanF is offline  
Old 07-26-20, 05:38 AM
  #18  
David78
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for everyone's input and great advice and suggestions. I will be using ortlieb roller classic front and back panniers. I've decided on ortlieb over carradice for a few reasons.
1. The number of fair priced buying options stateside compared to Carradice. I can get all 4 panniers for about 225 bucks. (The only option to get this price point with Carradice if in the US is direct through Carradice and I have no way to call or speak to Carradice since they are in England.) Additionally I am turned off by exorbitantly high shipping and handling fees which can be 40 all the way to 100% over the cost of the product itself.
2. If there is an issue on the road more dealers in the states will hopefully translate to quicker and easier to fix issue resolution. Even non dealers of Ortlieb products often can submit warranty claims to Ortlieb. Not so in the states with Carradice. There are very few Carradice dealers in the US.
3. The warranty is 5 years as opposed to 2 with Carradice.
4. Ortlieb is more water resistant though slightly heavier.
5. The panniers come in yellow which is the safest color while touring.
David78 is offline  
Old 07-26-20, 10:34 AM
  #19  
Tourist in MSN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 7,120

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, Perfekt 3 Speed -age unknown, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 257 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by David78 View Post
Thanks for everyone's input and great advice and suggestions. I will be using ortlieb roller classic front and back panniers. I've decided on ortlieb over carradice for a few reasons.
1. The number of fair priced buying options stateside compared to Carradice. I can get all 4 panniers for about 225 bucks. (The only option to get this price point with Carradice if in the US is direct through Carradice and I have no way to call or speak to Carradice since they are in England.) Additionally I am turned off by exorbitantly high shipping and handling fees which can be 40 all the way to 100% over the cost of the product itself.
2. If there is an issue on the road more dealers in the states will hopefully translate to quicker and easier to fix issue resolution. Even non dealers of Ortlieb products often can submit warranty claims to Ortlieb. Not so in the states with Carradice. There are very few Carradice dealers in the US.
3. The warranty is 5 years as opposed to 2 with Carradice.
4. Ortlieb is more water resistant though slightly heavier.
5. The panniers come in yellow which is the safest color while touring.
You will be happy with them.

If the center of gravity of your rear load is further back than necessary, that can impair handling. So, when you get them, set the rear so that they are as far forward on your rear rack as you comfortably can while having enough room for your heels to have plenty of clearance as you pedal.

If your racks are black, get a bottle of black fingernail polish at the dollar store to touch up any wear spots.
Tourist in MSN is offline  
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 07-26-20, 02:40 PM
  #20  
fietsbob
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,598

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,283 Times in 801 Posts
Ortlieb's plus fabric does save a bit of weight in the bag.. itself..
fietsbob is offline  
Old 07-26-20, 07:06 PM
  #21  
greatscott
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Indiana
Posts: 540

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 50 Posts
Being a tightwad I try to find the best deal possible and it seems that the Carradice ones are not only cheaper but also larger by 8 liters each, and as a bonus it weighs a tad less.

But right now the rear Ortlieb panniers are on sale at Bike Tires Direct which makes them cheaper than the Carradice: https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...ier-set?sg=503 if you want the Ortliebs.
greatscott is offline  
Likes For greatscott:
Old 07-27-20, 05:33 PM
  #22  
Doug64
Senior Member
 
Doug64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Oregon
Posts: 5,864
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 907 Post(s)
Liked 260 Times in 150 Posts
Originally Posted by David78 View Post
.......If there is an issue on the road more dealers in the states will hopefully translate to quicker and easier to fix issue resolution. Even non dealers of Ortlieb products often can submit warranty claims to Ortlieb. Not so in the states with Carradice. There are very few Carradice dealers in the US.
3. The warranty is 5 years as opposed to 2 with Carradice.
4. Ortlieb is more water resistant though slightly heavier.
5. The panniers come in yellow which is the safest color while touring.
Ortlieb panniers are more than water resistant, they are waterproof. We have about 25,000 miles of actual touring on some of our Ortlieb panniers.




Our entire family use Orlieb Panniers, bar bags, and rack packs. I think you will be happy with them.



Last edited by Doug64; 07-27-20 at 05:37 PM.
Doug64 is offline  
Likes For Doug64:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.