Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Microshift barcon setup question

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Microshift barcon setup question

Old 01-13-21, 04:13 PM
  #1  
PugRider
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Worcester, Massachusetts
Posts: 220

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.7C, Centurion Ironman, Shogun Metro AT, Jamis Durango SX, Miyata Alumicross, Fuji Special Road Racer, Mongoose ATB, Fuji SST 1.0 Team, Gitane (?), Specalized Rockhopper SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Microshift barcon setup question

Hi everyone,

This is the Univega Gran Turismo Iíve been working on, I plan on maybe dipping my toes into some beginner touring this summer. Still has a ways to go, and there are some stand-in things on there that will be replaced as I go, but no major issues on the shakedown ride today. Really nice, in fact.

My question is if there are any tips or tricks to setting up the rear indexing on these bar end shifters (8-speed on mine, brand new). I found it a bit tricky, and on the ride today it felt just fine in all combinations, but overall I feel like itís a bit too light when shifting low to high (releasing tension).

Iíve done indexed rear shifters on a zillion bikes, but very few bar end setups. I had a lot of trouble getting it right with these. FYI new 8sp chain, new 8sp Shimano cassette, new cables, etc. New hub, even! I felt like I kept messing with the cable tension when it was the lever setup that was off.

The Microshift instructional video has you snug the bolt, click one gear, and then loosen the bolt slowly until the lever moves. Doing EXACTLY that I felt it was way too loose, and it wouldnít hold tension in low gear. But if you tighten the bolt too much, it seems to leave the chain too far to the next gear, like too much cable tension would. Rubbing and all
that. Thatís where I was getting confused.

Anyhow, I seemed to find a middle ground by going through the Microshift procedure and then cinching up the bolt just a tiny bit. Still, feels like itís.l not 100%.

Maybe itís just getting use to the light action, but any tips with anyone who has a reliable way to set these up would be appreciated.


PugRider is offline  
Old 01-13-21, 05:44 PM
  #2  
Tourist in MSN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 7,565

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, Perfekt 3 Speed -age unknown, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2014 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 352 Times in 298 Posts
Make sure that there are no kinks in your cables or other high friction points in the system. Also check at the cable ferrules wherever your outer housing is cut to make sure there is no rubbing on anything there. Some times you need to use an awl to clean up the end of a cable after cutting it, I assume that you made sure your cable cuts were all clean. Check the cable were it runs under the bottom bracket to make sure there is no friction there.

I see you will be running your cables under the bar tape, I do that too, that does add some friction with extra outer housing that has curves in it along the cable run. While it adds friction, it should not be the sole problem, I have done that on three of my bikes.

Sometimes it just takes a little while for the new parts to work in together.

I can't comment on Microshift, I use Shimano shifters.

Sometimes it helps to remove the wheel, and move the shifter back and forth to see if the derailleur moves just as fast, if watching the derailleur it appears to have any lag time or if the lever feels harder than it should, you can tell that by working the shifter without a wheel in the frame.

Without being there, can't think of anything else to say.
Tourist in MSN is offline  
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 01-14-21, 04:07 AM
  #3  
Germany_chris
Senior Member
 
Germany_chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Southern Germany
Posts: 1,068
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 110 Posts
I just low/low and pull the cable tight like every other bike..
Germany_chris is offline  
Old 01-14-21, 11:49 AM
  #4  
Nyah
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Shenandoah Valley, Northern Virginia.
Posts: 348

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, Konacado ('20 Kona Sutra).

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 80 Times in 62 Posts
The shift cables on my Microshift/drop-bar-setup are only under the tape for about two inches from end of the handlebar - no kinks at all - where-as yours are conforming to the bars.
Nyah is offline  
Old 01-14-21, 10:56 PM
  #5  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 11,676

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,137 Posts
The microshift barcons i set up were set up thebsame way as my shimano and suntour barcons.
I pull the cable tight, fasten it, and shift. It it shifts correctly, then done. If it is off anywhere, I loosen the bolt, pull tight, and tighten again.

My bar end shifter cables have all run under the tape without issue. It introduces a code of bends, but that didnt/hasn't made a difference.


What are you tightening and loosening exactly?
mstateglfr is offline  
Old 01-15-21, 06:41 AM
  #6  
PugRider
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Worcester, Massachusetts
Posts: 220

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.7C, Centurion Ironman, Shogun Metro AT, Jamis Durango SX, Miyata Alumicross, Fuji Special Road Racer, Mongoose ATB, Fuji SST 1.0 Team, Gitane (?), Specalized Rockhopper SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
the 4mm bolt/screw or whatever holding the lever to the body. Micro shift has very specific instructions for indexed v. friction setup.
PugRider is offline  
Old 01-15-21, 10:39 AM
  #7  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 11,676

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,137 Posts
Originally Posted by PugRider View Post
the 4mm bolt/screw or whatever holding the lever to the body. Micro shift has very specific instructions for indexed v. friction setup.
Oh the torque bolt. Yeah that should be finger tight, then you pull the shifter 1 click and loosen the bolt until the shifter snaps back down to the starting position(smallest cog in back). I remember this- I ended up tightening the torque bolt tighter than they recommend and then adusting for cable tension using the adjuster connected to the rear derailleur.

It worked- the only time Ive since changed anything is when running a new cable. The torque bolt was super loose(i could finger tighten it) when it was in the recommended position that Microshift suggested.
mstateglfr is offline  
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-16-21, 08:15 AM
  #8  
PugRider
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Worcester, Massachusetts
Posts: 220

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.7C, Centurion Ironman, Shogun Metro AT, Jamis Durango SX, Miyata Alumicross, Fuji Special Road Racer, Mongoose ATB, Fuji SST 1.0 Team, Gitane (?), Specalized Rockhopper SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
Oh the torque bolt. Yeah that should be finger tight, then you pull the shifter 1 click and loosen the bolt until the shifter snaps back down to the starting position(smallest cog in back). I remember this- I ended up tightening the torque bolt tighter than they recommend and then adusting for cable tension using the adjuster connected to the rear derailleur.

It worked- the only time Ive since changed anything is when running a new cable. The torque bolt was super loose(i could finger tighten it) when it was in the recommended position that Microshift suggested.
Yes, exactly my issue. I'm probably overthinking it, part of it could be just getting used to new shifters. I'm probably all set--it held in the low-low combo on the way up the very steep hill I live on, and that's saying something--but I'll try to feel it out a bit more over the next few rides.
PugRider is offline  
Old 01-16-21, 02:57 PM
  #9  
Cycle Tourist
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 549
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 70 Posts
There is less friction without putting the cables under the bar tape to the stem. Also pulling the tape very tight can constrict the cables a bit. I tried your set-up in the past and it worked but I liked the action better on the "traditional" set-up. If your cables are all slick with no restrictions as mentioned earlier than I'd say just get used to the action.
Cycle Tourist is offline  
Old 01-16-21, 03:58 PM
  #10  
tyrion
Senior Member
 
tyrion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 3,163

Bikes: Breezer Radar

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1689 Post(s)
Liked 891 Times in 434 Posts
Originally Posted by PugRider View Post
Hi everyone,

This is the Univega Gran Turismo Iíve been working on, I plan on maybe dipping my toes into some beginner touring this summer. Still has a ways to go, and there are some stand-in things on there that will be replaced as I go, but no major issues on the shakedown ride today. Really nice, in fact.

My question is if there are any tips or tricks to setting up the rear indexing on these bar end shifters (8-speed on mine, brand new). I found it a bit tricky, and on the ride today it felt just fine in all combinations, but overall I feel like itís a bit too light when shifting low to high (releasing tension).

Iíve done indexed rear shifters on a zillion bikes, but very few bar end setups. I had a lot of trouble getting it right with these. FYI new 8sp chain, new 8sp Shimano cassette, new cables, etc. New hub, even! I felt like I kept messing with the cable tension when it was the lever setup that was off.

The Microshift instructional video has you snug the bolt, click one gear, and then loosen the bolt slowly until the lever moves. Doing EXACTLY that I felt it was way too loose, and it wouldnít hold tension in low gear. But if you tighten the bolt too much, it seems to leave the chain too far to the next gear, like too much cable tension would. Rubbing and all
that. Thatís where I was getting confused.

Anyhow, I seemed to find a middle ground by going through the Microshift procedure and then cinching up the bolt just a tiny bit. Still, feels like itís.l not 100%.

Maybe itís just getting use to the light action, but any tips with anyone who has a reliable way to set these up would be appreciated.
Those Microshift instructions make no sense to me. I would tighten the friction down fairly tight and then adjust the indexing. I keep my Microshift barends with pretty tight friction (nice solid, loud clicks), otherwise the RD shifts when I go off a curb or hit big bumps. That tight friction and loud clicks might be wearing out the click-stop mechanism - if so that's the lesser of 2 evils compared to shifting into a smaller cog when hitting a big bump.
tyrion is offline  
Likes For tyrion:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.