Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

A driving plus riding tour to all 50 states

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

A driving plus riding tour to all 50 states

Old 02-23-21, 05:45 AM
  #26  
GadgetGirlIL
Senior Member
 
GadgetGirlIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Lisle, IL
Posts: 380

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Vortex, 2017 All-City Mr. Pink, ~1997 Trek Multitrack 700

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 43 Posts
I'm trying to figure out how you are going to drive from Niles, MI to Rockford, IL in 3 hours. You do change time zones so that buys you an hour. Catch the I-80/94 corridor at the wrong time and that travel time will double.

Angola, IN is a nice area to ride in. I did a 200K brevet that started there back in 2019.
GadgetGirlIL is offline  
Old 02-23-21, 06:04 AM
  #27  
Russ Roth
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: South Shore of Long Island
Posts: 1,553

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 322 Posts
I wouldn't drive through PA like that, I'd head up through Erie to Buffalo, make a stop off at Niagara Falls, and shoot the thruway to Albany, head North and drive through VT and NH to ME before dropping south. If you're near it the NY side of the falls as a touristy place sucks, but there's a lot to see there of the falls and they shouldn't be missed. There's plenty of places to ride in NY and it'll pass you through nice areas in New England.
Russ Roth is offline  
Old 02-23-21, 07:52 AM
  #28  
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine
Thread Starter
 
DXchulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Alamogordo
Posts: 6,218
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GadgetGirlIL View Post
I'm trying to figure out how you are going to drive from Niles, MI to Rockford, IL in 3 hours. You do change time zones so that buys you an hour. Catch the I-80/94 corridor at the wrong time and that travel time will double.

Angola, IN is a nice area to ride in. I did a 200K brevet that started there back in 2019.
That's what Google says. Obviously there's always going to be a potential for traffic jams.
DXchulo is offline  
Old 02-23-21, 07:58 AM
  #29  
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine
Thread Starter
 
DXchulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Alamogordo
Posts: 6,218
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Somehow my map got messed up between points N and O. I need to fix that and I'll re-post it.
DXchulo is offline  
Old 02-23-21, 08:12 AM
  #30  
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine
Thread Starter
 
DXchulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Alamogordo
Posts: 6,218
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's the fixed map: https://mapq.st/3uqVM7R




I might do Toledo, OH, hit Michigan somewhere closer to there, then ride a bit further south in Indiana to avoid driving too close to Chicago. I'll play around with that and see how the times play out. I might ride further east in Ohio. I picked Toledo because I used to live there.
DXchulo is offline  
Old 02-23-21, 08:31 AM
  #31  
GadgetGirlIL
Senior Member
 
GadgetGirlIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Lisle, IL
Posts: 380

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Vortex, 2017 All-City Mr. Pink, ~1997 Trek Multitrack 700

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by DXchulo View Post
That's what Google says. Obviously there's always going to be a potential for traffic jams.
You'll probably want to double-check expected drive times when it gets much closer to your actual trip. We have a saying here in Illinois that we only have 2 seasons: Winter & Construction.
GadgetGirlIL is offline  
Old 02-23-21, 09:00 AM
  #32  
staehpj1 
Senior Member
 
staehpj1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 10,032
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 117 Posts
Just an observation...
In the interest of the arbitrary collecting of states as a goal you miss many interesting regions completely. You miss the beauty of the Pacific coat, the MI upper peninsula, the NC barrier islands, the FL keys, you don't really see much of New England, and you miss or don't do a lot of other areas much justice. It easily becomes about being checking items off of a checklist rather than seeing and doing things. Is it worth it? Only you can say, but I don't think it would be for me. If you could add a bit more time and some additional mileage you could see/do a lot more. It might be worth it while you are already investing so much time, effort, and money. Something to consider anyway.
__________________
Check out my profile, articles, and trip journals at:
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/staehpj1
staehpj1 is offline  
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 02-25-21, 08:31 AM
  #33  
a_d_a_m
Senior Member
 
a_d_a_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Ohio
Posts: 235

Bikes: 2021 Kona Sutra, Ragley parts-cycle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by DXchulo View Post
Here's the fixed map: https://mapq.st/3uqVM7R
You'll be passing right past my house (I'm right off I-90 just into Ohio from PA).

Point "Q" on your map near Erie, PA...you can ride the 11-mile loop on Presque Isle. Nice bike path, good views of Lake Erie, totally easy cruise as it's on the lake and therefore flat.

Originally Posted by DXchulo View Post
I might ride further east in Ohio. I picked Toledo because I used to live there.
Near Toledo is the North Coast Inland Trail, but that one is sort of straight-flat-boring to me. (and frequently without tree coverage from the sun) I'd still opt for Cuyahoga Valley.
a_d_a_m is offline  
Old 02-25-21, 09:26 PM
  #34  
rm -rf
don't try this at home.
 
rm -rf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: N. KY
Posts: 5,249
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1 View Post
Just an observation...
In the interest of the arbitrary collecting of states as a goal you miss many interesting regions completely. You miss the beauty of the Pacific coat, the MI upper peninsula, the NC barrier islands, the FL keys, you don't really see much of New England, and you miss or don't do a lot of other areas much justice. It easily becomes about being checking items off of a checklist rather than seeing and doing things. Is it worth it? Only you can say, but I don't think it would be for me. If you could add a bit more time and some additional mileage you could see/do a lot more. It might be worth it while you are already investing so much time, effort, and money. Something to consider anyway.
That would be an interesting project, to have a big list of "worth the drive" areas to ride. I suppose it depends on the rider's interests, time available, and ride difficulty too.

I really liked Vermont. The Gap Trail in PA is very good. The Blue Ridge Parkway in the Asheville area is fantastic. Locally, there's some extremely low traffic roads with smooth pavement and interesting views in northern KY, but it's quite hilly. And there's some amazing riding in the Bluegrass horse farm roads in the Frankfort and Georgetown KY area, with rock fences, plank fences, and huge pastures with thoroughbreds. Quiet and scenic.
rm -rf is offline  
Old 02-26-21, 05:08 AM
  #35  
GadgetGirlIL
Senior Member
 
GadgetGirlIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Lisle, IL
Posts: 380

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Vortex, 2017 All-City Mr. Pink, ~1997 Trek Multitrack 700

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf View Post
. Locally, there's some extremely low traffic roads with smooth pavement and interesting views in northern KY, but it's quite hilly. And there's some amazing riding in the Bluegrass horse farm roads in the Frankfort and Georgetown KY area, with rock fences, plank fences, and huge pastures with thoroughbreds. Quiet and scenic.
another vote for the Frankfort and Georgetown areas of Kentucky! Iíve ridden down there twice and it was well worth the 6+ hour drive from Chicago.


GadgetGirlIL is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.