Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Touring (https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/)
-   -   Agonizing over tire size: is 32mm hilariously thin in 2021? (https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1226011-agonizing-over-tire-size-32mm-hilariously-thin-2021-a.html)

str 04-06-21 10:14 AM


Originally Posted by adam.schwartz4 (Post 21970672)
Informal poll here. in 2012 I bought a Bianchi Volpe and at the time it was the most expensive thing I'd ever purchased. Used my FSA which was due to expire and incredibly wrote off the Italian steed as an expense....hope the wrong people don't see this.

Anyway, back then 32mm was a solid sized tire, and my chainstay spacing is proof of that lol. But my things have certainly changed. I've been loyal to Schwalbe Marathons for over a decade, but 5K miles later through all sorts of NYC streets and upstate gravel, it's finally time for a change. I really want to go up in size, but I am SUPER reluctant to remove my fenders just for a test (they get in the way when I try to see the fit with my commuter wheel with Pasela 38s). Adjusting fenders is my nightmare wrench activity...

Either way I highly doubt I can jam anything bigger than 38 in there!

So here's my question: am I really missing out by riding 32s? Is it worth even the nominal gain in tire size to go 35?

I feel like even 38 is considered thin these days and I wanna know if I'm missing out! I do lots of touring over summer, mostly road with some light gravel. I'm deeply inspired by the Jan Heine Bicycle Quarterly way of thinking and if anything want to get some supple shoes with solid flat protection on my Volpe. Thinking the Soma Shikoros....or just saying screw it and buying another pair of Marathons. Discuss!

bigger tire = more !comfort! and not slower. Jan Heine stuff is very cool, very supple tires!

BobG 04-06-21 11:18 AM


Originally Posted by str (Post 22002734)
Jan Heine stuff is very cool, very supple tires!

I gave Jan Heine's 700x44 Rene Herse "Snoqualmie Pass" tires a try last summer. They rode wonderfully on both paved and gravel roads but I found the smooth tread versions were just too paper thin. I had three flat tires from mid June-November. Not pinch flats, but penetrations from paved road debris such as sharp radial tire casing wires and specks of glass. After the third I discovered the rear tire already worn too thin to re-mount so I discarded both. Just not enough durability to justify $72 per tire. Maybe the knobby models have better flat protection? I replaced the JH/RH tires with 700x43 BG Rock'n'Roads for gravel rides.

Nice photos on the other thread str!

str 04-06-21 11:38 AM


Originally Posted by BobG (Post 22002887)
I gave Jan Heine's 700x44 Rene Herse "Snoqualmie Pass" tires a try last summer. They rode wonderfully on both paved and gravel roads but I found the smooth tread versions were just too paper thin. I had three flat tires from mid June-November. Not pinch flats, but penetrations from paved road debris such as sharp radial tire casing wires and specks of glass. After the third I discovered the rear tire already worn too thin to re-mount so I discarded both. Just not enough durability to justify $72 per tire. Maybe the knobby models have better flat protection? I replaced the JH/RH tires with 700x43 BG Rock'n'Roads for gravel rides.

Nice photos on the other thread str!

thanks!

Tires to me is a lottery, one never knows when the pain comes. On my road bikes I use tubular Veloflex 28mm, my feeling says that I used them lately 3-4 years. that's very good to me. and then? I l killed two NEW tires in one week!
Rene Here are not the most secure tires, that's right, but they are one thing for sure (to me) the most enjoyable tires, supple, a pleasure to ride them. but then, here at home I use the Extralight Snoqualmie Pass, same tires for several years now, no flats.
At the same time I had little side wall cuts with the normal Snoqualmie Pass, in Romania, harder terrain. Since I use the Endurance + version no problems at all.
I refuse to ride schwalbe marathon concrete tires, I want to enjoy my ride. ;)


https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0805fb2b41.jpg

mark d 04-06-21 11:40 AM

My bike came with 25mm tires originally. Do you think 32 mm would fit on the same rims ?

Apologies to the OP

pdlamb 04-06-21 12:33 PM


Originally Posted by mark d (Post 22002919)
My bike came with 25mm tires originally. Do you think 32 mm would fit on the same rims ?

75% chance the answer's "No."
20% chance it's "If you put the tires on deflated you can get the wheel through the brakes, then pump them up."

Are you on good terms with an LBS who'll let you try some on to find the definitive answer for your specific bike?

Tourist in MSN 04-06-21 01:04 PM


Originally Posted by mark d (Post 22002919)
My bike came with 25mm tires originally. Do you think 32 mm would fit on the same rims ?

Apologies to the OP

A bike that came with 25mm tires is probably more likely to have a frame clearance problem than a rim width problem. Look closely at your bike to see what your clearance is, both front and rear.

mark d 04-06-21 01:55 PM

Are you on good terms with an LBS who'll let you try some on to find the definitive answer for your specific bike?[/QUOTE]

thks for the reply, yes there is a small shop I use that would let me try. Good idea

mark d 04-06-21 01:57 PM


Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN (Post 22003029)
A bike that came with 25mm tires is probably more likely to have a frame clearance problem than a rim width problem. Look closely at your bike to see what your clearance is, both front and rear.

I will do so as soon as I get to my bike, thanks

djb 04-06-21 04:24 PM


Originally Posted by BobG (Post 22002887)
I gave Jan Heine's 700x44 Rene Herse "Snoqualmie Pass" tires a try last summer. They rode wonderfully on both paved and gravel roads but I found the smooth tread versions were just too paper thin. I had three flat tires from mid June-November. Not pinch flats, but penetrations from paved road debris such as sharp radial tire casing wires and specks of glass. After the third I discovered the rear tire already worn too thin to re-mount so I discarded both. Just not enough durability to justify $72 per tire. Maybe the knobby models have better flat protection? I replaced the JH/RH tires with 700x43 BG Rock'n'Roads for gravel rides.

Nice photos on the other thread str!

I've been very wary of this aspect of the herse tires, haven't ridden them, but i can really relate to how riding my 45mm wide Supremes (2in) continue to put a big smile on my face, after such excellent mileage/ wear and really no flats in over 9000kms and a good 2/3rds of that loaded up on all kinds of roads.

staehpj1 04-07-21 05:48 AM


Originally Posted by BobG (Post 22002887)
I gave Jan Heine's 700x44 Rene Herse "Snoqualmie Pass" tires a try last summer. They rode wonderfully on both paved and gravel roads but I found the smooth tread versions were just too paper thin. I had three flat tires from mid June-November. Not pinch flats, but penetrations from paved road debris such as sharp radial tire casing wires and specks of glass. After the third I discovered the rear tire already worn too thin to re-mount so I discarded both.

How many miles would you estimate you had on them? Five months could be good to terrible longevity IME depending on the mileage. Same for number of punctures. Everyone has different standards. I have considered going to a really light high performance tire. I am willing to tolerate somewhat poor wear and some punctures for a supple tire with a good ride. I do have limits though.

BobG 04-07-21 07:43 AM


Originally Posted by staehpj1 (Post 22003821)
How many miles would you estimate you had on them?

Pete, I would guess about 1200 miles. That's around town unloaded as I can no longer take long tours. In comparison I replaced my rear tire (700x32 Continental?) on a TransAm tour at 3000 miles in West Yellowstone. Most of those in the group with Schwalbes rode the entire 4200 miles on one set. Not trying to compare the Herse tire with Schwalbes. As str says the Schwalbes are concrete in comparison.

You might be happy with the Herse tires. They are light, lively and comfortable, available in many widths and treads. My 700x44s weigh only around 375 grams. Replacement knobby Bruce Gordons (Panaracer) about 540g. I lied in my above post. I didn't discard my Herse tires, just retired them for now!

I just don't trust them when they get this thin with repeated punctures...

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5aff3a096b.jpg

djb 04-07-21 07:56 AM

My 2in Supremes weigh 560g, not too shabby considering how they ride and especially the (well, my) long wear and puncture free riding (even through glass strewn Guatemala etc)

staehpj1 04-07-21 09:04 AM


Originally Posted by BobG (Post 22003984)
Pete, I would guess about 1200 miles. That's around town unloaded as I can no longer take long tours. In comparison I replaced my rear tire (700x32 Continental?) on a TransAm tour at 3000 miles in West Yellowstone. Most of those in the group with Schwalbes rode the entire 4200 miles on one set. Not trying to compare the Herse tire with Schwalbes. As str says the Schwalbes are concrete in comparison.

You might be happy with the Herse tires. They are light, lively and comfortable, available in many widths and treads. My 700x44s weigh only around 375 grams. Replacement knobby Bruce Gordons (Panaracer) about 540g. I lied in my above post. I didn't discard my Herse tires, just retired them for now!

I just don't trust them when they get this thin with repeated punctures...

Thanks. That gives me something to consider when I next purchase tires, which may not be soon since I have some new spares around and have not been riding much..

imi 04-10-21 08:14 AM


Originally Posted by djb (Post 21976687)
I suspect many of you have read similar findings before about how wider tires can FEEL slower, but in reality this is not the case.
Yes, more flexible tires make all the difference here, and why I have been in love with my wider Supremes for a few years now, but here is a good article that addresses this whole issue, it's worth the read.
In the Jan Heine "myths about bike riding" etc series.

https://www.renehersecycles.com/12-m...es-are-slower/

”Fast” can thus either be an objective, measurable quality or a subjective ”feeling” of going fast.

When on tour, I have no deadlines that would be affected by objectively going minutely faster (compared to say winning a race) on wider tires, but may constantly have the joy of going ”fast” on high pressure thinner tires.

Miles vary on this of course, and we hopefully all find our sweet spot.
For me at the moment it’s 32mm Gator Hardshells at 7 bar. I love the puncture protection, the feeling of going fast, and their sound of their buzz on the road :)

J.Higgins 04-11-21 12:31 PM

A couple weeks ago, I put on a pair of 38mm Panaracer Gravel Kings, herringbone tread. I got to say they are such a world of difference over the 35mm Continental Hardshells previously installed. They feel so good its hard to keep from smiling. My wife is convinced that she can't keep up with me now, of which I am dubious because its usually the other way around, and maybe she's only humoring me long enough to have my moment in the sun, then she'll mercilessly drop the hammer and really leave me in the dust.

djb 04-11-21 01:05 PM


Originally Posted by imi (Post 22008640)
”Fast” can thus either be an objective, measurable quality or a subjective ”feeling” of going fast.

When on tour, I have no deadlines that would be affected by objectively going minutely faster (compared to say winning a race) on wider tires, but may constantly have the joy of going ”fast” on high pressure thinner tires.

Miles vary on this of course, and we hopefully all find our sweet spot.
For me at the moment it’s 32mm Gator Hardshells at 7 bar. I love the puncture protection, the feeling of going fast, and their sound of their buzz on the road :)

well, what I can say is that not having the buzz and harshness of either an overly inflated tire, or a thinner tire on rough pavement / chipseal/ lots of potholes etc , really does translate into less energy being transmitted to your body, and you'll be fresher / less sore/tired and faster at the end of the day.

I used to feel the same as you, but gradually have reduced my pressures in all kinds of riding and will not go back to overly high pressures again.
7 bar is 100psi, which for me, would be way to high for 32's, even loaded. But I'm only 62/63kgs, so of course a riders weight is a factor.

robow 04-11-21 02:49 PM


Originally Posted by J.Higgins (Post 22009991)
maybe she's only humoring me long enough to have my moment in the sun, then she'll mercilessly drop the hammer and really leave me in the dust.

So I'm not the only one married to such an angel of (no) mercy.

LynxTheWizard 04-12-21 03:55 AM

I tend to go narrower over the years. started with 2.0, then 1.75, 1.6 and now for the latest build i have 1.4 which is as narrow as I would go since there is noticeable comfort loss for me. But it depends entirely on the riders personal preferences.

LeeG 04-17-21 08:26 AM


Originally Posted by adam.schwartz4 (Post 21971646)
TiHabanero THIS is very helpful. The fact that I'm upgrading from the heaviest tires known to the touring world (Marathon Plus) means I should be able to strike a unique balance between supple/faster and an increase in width for greater load capacity and stability. I am guilty of overloading for tours, so I can probably do better in the weight department.

What tires are your preference?

What is missing from your thread is your load on the tire and road conditions for intended use. If you are heavy on a heavily loaded bike needing max puncture protection a bigger heavier slower Marathon Plus might be more comfortable. If your load is high and road rough some nice riding Marathon Supremes with greater chance of sidewall damage might be acceptable. If most of your riding is unloaded but your tires ready for the heavy tour why not have two sets of tires for different uses? So it isn’t just tire width but tire type, 32 mm might be perfect and you don’t necessarily need a fatter tire. My $.02 is you’re missing out on nicer riding tires not wider tires. Another thing is that you don’t need a super heavy front tire when the rear tire is the one that gets most of the abuse.

Tourist in MSN 04-17-21 10:05 AM


Originally Posted by LeeG (Post 22018805)
.... If most of your riding is unloaded but your tires ready for the heavy tour why not have two sets of tires for different uses? ....

Good point, the tires I tour on are rarely used for riding around near home.

mstateglfr 04-17-21 09:42 PM


Originally Posted by mark d (Post 22002919)
My bike came with 25mm tires originally. Do you think 32 mm would fit on the same rims ?

Apologies to the OP

For sure.
A 32mm can be safely mounted to old 13mm internal narrow rims, so any rims with more modern widths can easily handle a 32mm tire.

On 3 road bikes I have the same rim model and it currently holds 25mm, 28mm, and 32mm tires.
it used to hold 40mm tires.

mark d 04-18-21 04:01 AM


Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 22019720)
For sure.
A 32mm can be safely mounted to old 13mm internal narrow rims, so any rims with more modern widths can easily handle a 32mm tire.

On 3 road bikes I have the same rim model and it currently holds 25mm, 28mm, and 32mm tires.
it used to hold 40mm tires.

Thanks mstateglfr

djb 04-18-21 05:39 AM


Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 22019720)
For sure.
A 32mm can be safely mounted to old 13mm internal narrow rims, so any rims with more modern widths can easily handle a 32mm tire.

On 3 road bikes I have the same rim model and it currently holds 25mm, 28mm, and 32mm tires.
it used to hold 40mm tires.

hey mst, would you recall the inner width of your rim, I'm just curious. What rim is it.
thanks

mstateglfr 04-18-21 06:36 AM


Originally Posted by djb (Post 22019895)
hey mst, would you recall the inner width of your rim, I'm just curious. What rim is it.
thanks

17.5mm internal H plus Son Archetype.

djb 04-18-21 06:50 AM


Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 22019949)
17.5mm internal H plus Son Archetype.

thanks, similar to a set of my rims that I have the 2inch Supremes on and have been faultless with these tires on, even heavily loaded.

BobG 04-22-21 10:44 AM

Correction!
 

Originally Posted by BobG (Post 22002887)
I gave Jan Heine's 700x44 Rene Herse "Snoqualmie Pass" tires a try last summer. They rode wonderfully on both paved and gravel roads but I found the smooth tread versions were just too paper thin. I had three flat tires from mid June-November...


Originally Posted by staehpj1 (Post 22003821)
How many miles would you estimate you had on them?


Originally Posted by BobG (Post 22003984)
Pete, I would guess about 1200 miles.

I miscalculated mileage earlier. Probably closer to 3000 miles on the worn Snoqualmie Pass tire pictured at post 71 above. Not bad mileage after all for a tire installed late June of 2020!

staehpj1 04-23-21 05:40 AM


Originally Posted by BobG (Post 22026322)
I miscalculated mileage earlier. Probably closer to 3000 miles on the worn Snoqualmie Pass tire pictured at post 71 above. Not bad mileage after all for a tire installed late June of 2020!

Thanks for the correction.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:03 PM.


Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.