Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Looking For Bike Suggestions

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Looking For Bike Suggestions

Old 05-31-23, 02:18 PM
  #1  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2023
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking For Bike Suggestions

Hi everyone. I want to buy a bike for touring, commuting and wandering around. I have some options and I think I'm overthinking, could you please help me choosing one?
Let me explain my expectations first. I'm planning to use my bike mainly for commuting but also I want to make some tours with my tent etc which is 1 - 2 weeks long maybe. Or some 2- 3 day weekend tours.

I have 3 options so far; Giant Escape RX 3, Giant Escape 3, Specialized Sirrus 1.0. I want v-brakes because of its simplicity, ease of maintenance and lightweight.
I like the Giant Escape RX 3 most because of its components and frame but I have some hesitations. Escape RX 3 has double butted ALUXX SL frame, Escape 3 has single butted ALUXX frame. My main concern is if double butted one would be weaker for loaded tours?
Giant only gives this information about general purpose riding maximum weight limit; rider - 300lbs/136kg, luggage - 55lbs/25kg with total - 355lbs/161kg.
Specialized has this limits; rear cargo - 55lbs/25kg, front cargo 30lbs/14kg with total 300/136kg. I assume I can throw some additional weight to front rack of Giant as well, as long as not exceeding the total weight limit.
Also RX 3 has 28 spokes and hasn't got rack mount on the fork but I can change these if needed.

Since I live in Turkey, my options are limited. I'm open to suggestions and recommendations.

Thanks in advance.
Karpuz is offline  
Old 05-31-23, 02:35 PM
  #2  
Galveston County Texas
 
10 Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In The Wind
Posts: 33,298

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Liked 1,264 Times in 638 Posts
The Choice is All Yours.
Buy one and have many Happy Safe Miles.
__________________
Fred "The Real Fred"

10 Wheels is offline  
Old 06-01-23, 04:09 AM
  #3  
Im a little Surly
 
Germany_chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Near the district
Posts: 2,432

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, Karate Monkey, Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Liked 1,307 Times in 652 Posts
Go here https://www.fahrradmanufaktur.de/ pick one that fits the budget.
Germany_chris is offline  
Old 06-01-23, 07:36 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
saddlesores's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Thailand..........Nakhon Nowhere
Posts: 3,681

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Liked 348 Times in 235 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
Go here https://www.fahrradmanufaktur.de/ pick one that fits the budget.
i'll second the VSF fahrradmanufaktur recommendation. i bought a VSF zwitter, 64cm steel-frame hybrid 700c with 3x9 mtb gearing in berlin.
super awesome do everthing bike. rack/fender braze ons, accepts wide tires. came with rear rack & fenders, dynamo light and internally routed light cable.
was great in the city, on cobblestones, 100-mile rides in east germany, and later rocky/sandy dirt roads in texas.
saddlesores is offline  
Old 06-01-23, 10:34 AM
  #5  
Miles to Go
 
timdow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 711

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
Given a choice between what you provided, I'd go for the Giant as it has a triple with lower gearing. It also has a front rack eyelet.
timdow is offline  
Old 06-16-23, 11:55 PM
  #6  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 78
Likes: 0
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Don't let all the epic tours on the web mislead you. 1-2 weeks is pretty long tour. Flat bars will be hell. Triple rings, fatter tires, something other than flat bars.

If you're on a tight budget then KHS and Fuji make inexpensive touring bikes. If you are good with mechanical stuff you could alter a 90's mountain bike. You might also be able to find something used.

But then again, you cross paths with people riding all kinds of things when touring. If you're going to stay in hotels you probably don't need a full on touring bike.
dvdwmth is offline  
Likes For dvdwmth:
Old 06-19-23, 10:20 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
MarcusT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: NE Italy
Posts: 1,643
Liked 635 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by Karpuz
Hi everyone. I want to buy a bike for touring, commuting and wandering around. I have some options and I think I'm overthinking, could you please help me choosing one?
Let me explain my expectations first. I'm planning to use my bike mainly for commuting but also I want to make some tours with my tent etc which is 1 - 2 weeks long maybe. Or some 2- 3 day weekend tours.

I have 3 options so far; Giant Escape RX 3, Giant Escape 3, Specialized Sirrus 1.0. I want v-brakes because of its simplicity, ease of maintenance and lightweight.
I like the Giant Escape RX 3 most because of its components and frame but I have some hesitations. Escape RX 3 has double butted ALUXX SL frame, Escape 3 has single butted ALUXX frame. My main concern is if double butted one would be weaker for loaded tours?
Giant only gives this information about general purpose riding maximum weight limit; rider - 300lbs/136kg, luggage - 55lbs/25kg with total - 355lbs/161kg.
Specialized has this limits; rear cargo - 55lbs/25kg, front cargo 30lbs/14kg with total 300/136kg. I assume I can throw some additional weight to front rack of Giant as well, as long as not exceeding the total weight limit.
Also RX 3 has 28 spokes and hasn't got rack mount on the fork but I can change these if needed.

Since I live in Turkey, my options are limited. I'm open to suggestions and recommendations.

Thanks in advance.
You may want to consider the Riverside Touring 520 from Decathlon. It has disc brakes, but finding rim brake wheels is becoming harder and harder, which may be a sign of the times
MarcusT is offline  
Old 06-20-23, 05:16 AM
  #8  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2023
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for great answers. Last week I bought Trek FX 2 after test ride of Giant Escape and Specialized Sirrus. FX was not on the list because of its relatively high price but after I tried it was the most comfortable one. Other two didn't fit me well and felt like a bit small. I'm pretty happy with the FX right now.

Next stop is choosing a rack that I can use with all of the panniers. I'm gonna choose one from Ortlieb Rack 3, Racktime LightIt/StandIt, Topeak SuperTourist or Ibera. If you have experience with one of them I would like to hear.


Germany_chris saddlesores MarcusT

Great bikes but unfortunately we don't have them in Turkey. I wanted to buy after test ride.


dvdwmth

Bikes with dropbars was a bit exceeding my budget. I'm planning to use barends for alternated hand positions.
Karpuz is offline  
Old 06-20-23, 11:03 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 11,420

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Liked 1,536 Times in 1,197 Posts
Originally Posted by Karpuz
...
Next stop is choosing a rack that I can use with all of the panniers. I'm gonna choose one from Ortlieb Rack 3, Racktime LightIt/StandIt, Topeak SuperTourist or Ibera. If you have experience with one of them I would like to hear.
...
For touring, I use a Tubus Logo EVO or Racktime Addit. The Tubus is steel, the Racktime is aluminum. For the heavier loads, I use the Tubus rack.

That said Ortlieb, Racktime and Toppeak are all good companies and make good stuff.

I prefer racks that have the lower mounting points for the panniers, lower center of gravity.
Tourist in MSN is offline  
Old 06-24-23, 04:17 PM
  #10  
Im a little Surly
 
Germany_chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Near the district
Posts: 2,432

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, Karate Monkey, Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Liked 1,307 Times in 652 Posts
Originally Posted by Karpuz
Thanks everyone for great answers. Last week I bought Trek FX 2 after test ride of Giant Escape and Specialized Sirrus. FX was not on the list because of its relatively high price but after I tried it was the most comfortable one. Other two didn't fit me well and felt like a bit small. I'm pretty happy with the FX right now.

Next stop is choosing a rack that I can use with all of the panniers. I'm gonna choose one from Ortlieb Rack 3, Racktime LightIt/StandIt, Topeak SuperTourist or Ibera. If you have experience with one of them I would like to hear.


Germany_chris saddlesores MarcusT

Great bikes but unfortunately we don't have them in Turkey. I wanted to buy after test ride.


dvdwmth

Bikes with dropbars was a bit exceeding my budget. I'm planning to use barends for alternated hand positions.
They have VSF in Turkey which is why I recommended them.

I default to Tubus racks
Germany_chris is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.