Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Multi flight tour in Asia. Doable or logistical nightmare?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Multi flight tour in Asia. Doable or logistical nightmare?

Old 02-07-24, 06:52 PM
  #26  
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 281

Bikes: 2017 Marinoni Tourismo Extreme, 1984 Trek 520, 1987 Niskhiki International, 2013 Brompton M6R, 2016 Brompton P6R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron Damon
Yeah, it's just that many Brompton owners think it is the only bike capable of this. Many don't actually know the segment and the alternatives, of which there are several. Brompton can be a bit of a cult. We don't want to perpetuate this line of misleading thinking among those unfamiliar with folding bikes.
Weíre veering off topic here but when I bought my first Brompton in 2014, there was no bike that offered as compact a package with such a clean folding operation. Dahon and Tern were awful.

Bike Friday fold was kind of a mess and took 8-9 steps IIRC.

I do recall liking the Moulton but the fold required tools.

Very happy with my Brompton. Thereís a reason itís so popular. And I do appreciate that they continue to be made in the UK when so many bike brands have moved their manufacturing to Asia.
hhk25 is offline  
Likes For hhk25:
Old 02-07-24, 07:06 PM
  #27  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: The Ring of Fire
Posts: 926
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 354 Posts
Originally Posted by hhk25
Weíre veering off topic here but when I bought my first Brompton in 2014, there was no bike that offered as compact a package with such a clean folding operation. Dahon and Tern were awful.

Bike Friday fold was kind of a mess and took 8-9 steps IIRC.

I do recall liking the Moulton but the fold required tools.

Very happy with my Brompton. Thereís a reason itís so popular. And I do appreciate that they continue to be made in the UK when so many bike brands have moved their manufacturing to Asia.
A decade later, today, there are many options, including options without the price, weight, proprietary nature, archaic gearing mechanism and tire size limitations of a Brompton. It's now the year 2024.
​​​​​
Ron Damon is offline  
Old 02-07-24, 08:30 PM
  #28  
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 281

Bikes: 2017 Marinoni Tourismo Extreme, 1984 Trek 520, 1987 Niskhiki International, 2013 Brompton M6R, 2016 Brompton P6R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron Damon
A decade later, today, there are many options, including options without the price, weight, proprietary nature, archaic gearing mechanism and tire size limitations of a Brompton. It's now the year 2024.
​​​​​
Mind you, I haven't been in the market so not familiar with every folder out there but I haven't seen anything that's going to make me give up my Brompton. I did look at the Helix which is actually built very close to my home. Very nice piece of kit but doesn't work well for touring. No rack options other than janky jerry-rigged stuff.

The Brompton works great for me. Strong and durable and carries quite a load. Like anything popular, there are haters. The Taylor Swift of bikes.
hhk25 is offline  
Likes For hhk25:
Old 02-07-24, 11:13 PM
  #29  
Senior Member
 
saddlesores's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Thailand..........Nakhon Nowhere
Posts: 3,654

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by hhk25
.....Imagine being clean on a bike tour!
blasphemy!

if you don't roll into town after three weeks in the outback smelling like the zombie apocalypse warmed over, you're doing it wrong.
saddlesores is offline  
Likes For saddlesores:
Old 02-09-24, 06:55 PM
  #30  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: The Ring of Fire
Posts: 926
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 354 Posts
Originally Posted by hhk25
... Like anything popular, there are haters. The Taylor Swift of bikes.
​​​​​​
Sure, on one side of the fence there's the haters and on the other there's the captive devotees. In an honest, credible, dispassionate accounting, you gotta account for both the hits and the misses. And, of course, beyond those two camps there are experienced people, knowledgeable of the segment who can analyze, critique and assess the bike, a bike on its technical merits. You know, like I did earlier listing its obvious technical shortcomings and handicaps.

Members of cults perceive criticism as hate, and close themselves off to other options. What's more, when confronted with opposing information, they further entrench themselves in their beliefs and practices lest they give in to the cognitive dissonance brought on by the contradictory information. It's actually a well recognized and studied phenomenon in the field of psychology. Right on cue. A thoroughly expected, unsurprising response. I am under no illusion that you are not in utter and complete bliss with your Brompton. Your perception of a technical counterpoint as hatred speaks tons about your perspective on the issue. In any case, it was not my aim to dislodge you from your position of idyll, but rather to alert others unfamiliar with the segment that there are options, perhaps even better ones.

Good luck to you on tour.

Last edited by Ron Damon; 02-09-24 at 07:27 PM.
Ron Damon is offline  
Old 02-10-24, 07:51 AM
  #31  
Senior Member
 
Yan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,922
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1929 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron Damon
​​​​​​
Sure, on one side of the fence there's the haters and on the other there's the captive devotees. In an honest, credible, dispassionate accounting, you gotta account for both the hits and the misses. And, of course, beyond those two camps there are experienced people, knowledgeable of the segment who can analyze, critique and assess the bike, a bike on its technical merits. You know, like I did earlier listing its obvious technical shortcomings and handicaps.

Members of cults perceive criticism as hate, and close themselves off to other options. What's more, when confronted with opposing information, they further entrench themselves in their beliefs and practices lest they give in to the cognitive dissonance brought on by the contradictory information. It's actually a well recognized and studied phenomenon in the field of psychology. Right on cue. A thoroughly expected, unsurprising response. I am under no illusion that you are not in utter and complete bliss with your Brompton. Your perception of a technical counterpoint as hatred speaks tons about your perspective on the issue. In any case, it was not my aim to dislodge you from your position of idyll, but rather to alert others unfamiliar with the segment that there are options, perhaps even better ones.

Good luck to you on tour.
Sorry I don't mean to intrude into an argument that's none of my business, but I just wanted to chima in and say, you're a total douch bag.

The guy owns a Brompton. So the F what. You sound like a Brompton banged your wife. Imagine being married to an obnoxious c*nt like you. Holy Jesus...
Yan is offline  
Likes For Yan:
Old 02-10-24, 09:19 AM
  #32  
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 281

Bikes: 2017 Marinoni Tourismo Extreme, 1984 Trek 520, 1987 Niskhiki International, 2013 Brompton M6R, 2016 Brompton P6R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron Damon
​​​​​​
Sure, on one side of the fence there's the haters and on the other there's the captive devotees. In an honest, credible, dispassionate accounting, you gotta account for both the hits and the misses. And, of course, beyond those two camps there are experienced people, knowledgeable of the segment who can analyze, critique and assess the bike, a bike on its technical merits. You know, like I did earlier listing its obvious technical shortcomings and handicaps.

Members of cults perceive criticism as hate, and close themselves off to other options. What's more, when confronted with opposing information, they further entrench themselves in their beliefs and practices lest they give in to the cognitive dissonance brought on by the contradictory information. It's actually a well recognized and studied phenomenon in the field of psychology. Right on cue. A thoroughly expected, unsurprising response. I am under no illusion that you are not in utter and complete bliss with your Brompton. Your perception of a technical counterpoint as hatred speaks tons about your perspective on the issue. In any case, it was not my aim to dislodge you from your position of idyll, but rather to alert others unfamiliar with the segment that there are options, perhaps even better ones.

Good luck to you on tour.
To be honest with you, the fact that you call it a cult indicates that you have some kind of agenda. It get it, Brompton is popular, itís expensive.

Itís also well built and a brilliant piece of engineering and design. I would never tour on any other folding bike. One big reason is - parts availability. There are Brompton dealers all over the world. Not so with Helix, Moulton or Bike Friday.
hhk25 is offline  
Old 02-10-24, 10:51 AM
  #33  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Elevation 666m Edmonton Canada
Posts: 2,476

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
I hope your bike has 20" wheels. Otherwise it is useless for serious touring.
GamblerGORD53 is offline  
Old 02-10-24, 03:05 PM
  #34  
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 281

Bikes: 2017 Marinoni Tourismo Extreme, 1984 Trek 520, 1987 Niskhiki International, 2013 Brompton M6R, 2016 Brompton P6R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
I hope your bike has 20" wheels. Otherwise it is useless for serious touring.
That is such an uninformed comment. People have toured all over the world on Brompton with 16Ē wheels.

There are multiple people who have travelled around the world on a Brompton.
hhk25 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.