Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

PSA: Garmin has the Edge Explore 2 on sale ...

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

PSA: Garmin has the Edge Explore 2 on sale ...

Old 04-01-24, 09:16 PM
  #1  
ignominious poltroon
Thread Starter
 
Polaris OBark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 4,015
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2232 Post(s)
Liked 3,416 Times in 1,787 Posts
PSA: Garmin has the Edge Explore 2 on sale ...

... for $250 (down from $300).

Link

Full disclosure: I own Garmin and get a $5 million dollar kickback for every device you purchase.
Polaris OBark is offline  
Old 04-02-24, 03:46 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Aushiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Walyalup, Australia
Posts: 1,378

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 20 Posts
In the meantime, it is AU$499 in Australia ... no sign of a sale price downunder

EDIT: Any word of a possible solar version?
Aushiker is offline  
Old 04-02-24, 06:59 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: northern Deep South
Posts: 8,895

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2600 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Wonder if they're coming out with an Explore 3, possibly with solar option, or if it's just going to be discontinued?
pdlamb is offline  
Old 04-02-24, 09:12 AM
  #4  
ignominious poltroon
Thread Starter
 
Polaris OBark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 4,015
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2232 Post(s)
Liked 3,416 Times in 1,787 Posts
Probably neither. It goes on sale periodically.

The solar version of the x40 series notches the price up US$100 from the baseline. If someone really wants the solar with no compromises, the 1040 solar sells for about $600. One thing I learned while reading a bunch of reviews is that the solar charger only works when the Garmin is turned on, so it isn't like you can leave the thing on a picnic table for a few hours.

I have a 530 now that my kid wants (back), if I upgrade. I am almost tempted by this, but there are a few things I will miss:

(a) wifi (a convenience at the end of a ride; I don't have to use a phone to sync it)
(b) No electronic shifting integration -- I only started using this a few weeks ago, for a new mountain bike, but I will miss it.
(c) size. I am one of the few who prefers the smaller profile of the 530/540 etc.

The price, however, continues to tempt me. I would buy it from REI to cover myself for potential buyer's remorse, but they no longer list it.

The navigation is apparently significantly improved from that on the 530, which is a major source of frustration.

The natural choice for me is the 540 or 840. Apparently, unlike the 530, the 540 is a bit of a pain without touch-screen, but $450 for the 540 vs $250 for this, with a few compromises, is a big price jump.
Polaris OBark is offline  
Old 04-02-24, 11:15 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Yan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,922
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1929 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
The Edge Explore 2 also doesn't have any training oriented features.

It's basically a bike touring computer.
Yan is offline  
Old 04-02-24, 02:28 PM
  #6  
mev
bicycle tourist
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Austin, Texas, USA
Posts: 2,295

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
The navigation is apparently significantly improved from that on the 530, which is a major source of frustration.
It is different, not sure the improvement is significant.

Last year I toured for six months through the US. Most of that time I was running both a 540 and a 1030 side by side and could observe the occasional differences. My perceptions:

1. Following an existing route almost always the same. Minor differences seen for (a) newer map, e.g if a bike trail was now constructed the 540 knew about it (b) slight differences in way points (c) the 540 seemed to rate something a climb sometimes when the 1030 didn't.

2. The differences came more when you get off route, e.g. to follow a detour or just because. The 540 picks differently e.g to where you are going vs. to closest point on the route? I often found it as easy to just get out Google Maps and where it worked to find a route than to have either 540 or 1030 to keep guessing.

3. In a small number of cases the 540 got so confused. Last summer the behavior was to report a distance of 1000s of miles until you rejoined the route. There was a firmware update that changed the behavior to just report it can't find a route.

Easiest way to see this was to run both side by side and then intentionally get off route and watch both algorithms try to find your way back. Perhaps the 540 might be slightly better except in the cases it gives up completely and then at least with the 1030 you have some route.
mev is offline  
Likes For mev:
Old 04-02-24, 04:48 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,461
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Slightly off topic, please redirect if needed. It looks like these GPS units only work from scouted downloaded maps, they don't work like the map on a phone where I simply enter start and stop points and let it take me there. Is this correct?
TiHabanero is offline  
Old 04-02-24, 07:23 PM
  #8  
ignominious poltroon
Thread Starter
 
Polaris OBark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 4,015
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2232 Post(s)
Liked 3,416 Times in 1,787 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Slightly off topic, please redirect if needed. It looks like these GPS units only work from scouted downloaded maps, they don't work like the map on a phone where I simply enter start and stop points and let it take me there. Is this correct?
I don't have the Edge Explore 2 or any of the x40 series (upon which it is is based), but my impression was that you could do that (create a route on the fly).
Polaris OBark is offline  
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 04-02-24, 07:35 PM
  #9  
ignominious poltroon
Thread Starter
 
Polaris OBark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 4,015
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2232 Post(s)
Liked 3,416 Times in 1,787 Posts
Originally Posted by mev
It is different, not sure the improvement is significant.

Last year I toured for six months through the US. Most of that time I was running both a 540 and a 1030 side by side and could observe the occasional differences. My perceptions:

1. Following an existing route almost always the same. Minor differences seen for (a) newer map, e.g if a bike trail was now constructed the 540 knew about it (b) slight differences in way points (c) the 540 seemed to rate something a climb sometimes when the 1030 didn't.

2. The differences came more when you get off route, e.g. to follow a detour or just because. The 540 picks differently e.g to where you are going vs. to closest point on the route? I often found it as easy to just get out Google Maps and where it worked to find a route than to have either 540 or 1030 to keep guessing.

3. In a small number of cases the 540 got so confused. Last summer the behavior was to report a distance of 1000s of miles until you rejoined the route. There was a firmware update that changed the behavior to just report it can't find a route.

Easiest way to see this was to run both side by side and then intentionally get off route and watch both algorithms try to find your way back. Perhaps the 540 might be slightly better except in the cases it gives up completely and then at least with the 1030 you have some route.

That's a disappointment.

My main complaint with the 530 navigation is, for example, I might be doing a simple counter-clockwise loop, using a pre-loaded "course". I might be going along fine for 10 miles, but if I just turn around to take a picture or something, It freaks out and decided I am going clockwise, and then for the next 15 miles it keeps telling me to make a U-turn. The really odd thing is if I am using ClimbPro or whatever it is called, it still gets that right, even though the navigation is screwed. Stopping and starting doesn't work. I have to clear everything and force it to re-calculate the route. It is bad enough that I try never to use it.
Polaris OBark is offline  
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 04-02-24, 08:42 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Aushiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Walyalup, Australia
Posts: 1,378

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
The Edge Explore 2 also doesn't have any training oriented features.

It's basically a bike touring computer.
I do use training plans now with my Edge 1030, so that is one feature I would miss if there was a new Explorer Solar, but it would not be a deal breaker.
Aushiker is offline  
Old 04-03-24, 06:45 AM
  #11  
djb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 13,210
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Slightly off topic, please redirect if needed. It looks like these GPS units only work from scouted downloaded maps, they don't work like the map on a phone where I simply enter start and stop points and let it take me there. Is this correct?
I got an Explore 2 last year and while I hardly ever use it as you describe (Im here, I want to go there, find me a route) and yes, it does do this.
I even did it in the UK and worked well enough.
Sometimes I just used google maps to compare and a few times just used my phone when I was going not far and didnt want to waste time, as I have more confidence with google maps.
djb is offline  
Old 04-03-24, 06:55 AM
  #12  
djb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 13,210
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
The Edge Explore 2 also doesn't have any training oriented features.

It's basically a bike touring computer.
when I started looking at bike gps options, totally new to this world, I pretty much just wanted a touring unit and for loading premade bikepacking routes. In the end this thing seemed to fit my needs and it does have all kinds of things I have no interest in and disregard, including talking with powermeters and that sort of thing.

I just hope it will be a useable doohicky for a bunch of years.
I also figure the solar trickle down will invariably happen to most of these things.
djb is offline  
Old 04-03-24, 07:56 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Yan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,922
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1929 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Slightly off topic, please redirect if needed. It looks like these GPS units only work from scouted downloaded maps, they don't work like the map on a phone where I simply enter start and stop points and let it take me there. Is this correct?
​​​​​​All of the units being discussed in this thread can do that. You can input a destination on the unit itself and it will generate a route to get you there.
Yan is offline  
Old 04-03-24, 08:44 AM
  #14  
ignominious poltroon
Thread Starter
 
Polaris OBark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 4,015
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2232 Post(s)
Liked 3,416 Times in 1,787 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
​​​​​​All of the units being discussed in this thread can do that. You can input a destination on the unit itself and it will generate a route to get you there.
I think I read somewhere the 540 (i.e., non-touch-screen) is more limited in that respect. But you are right for the OP Edge Explore 2, as well as the 840 and 1040 (all of which are touch-screens).
Polaris OBark is offline  
Old 04-03-24, 06:22 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,461
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Yan, does the unit understand one is traveling by bicycle and route accordingly, or does it route the person as if they were in a car?
TiHabanero is offline  
Old 04-03-24, 08:27 PM
  #16  
djb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 13,210
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Yan, does the unit understand one is traveling by bicycle and route accordingly, or does it route the person as if they were in a car?
By bike.
djb is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.