Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Italy mid September - pre book rooms or wing it?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Italy mid September - pre book rooms or wing it?

Old 12-14-05, 12:45 AM
  #26  
Guest
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Lots of people hanging around anyplace at night look pretty dodgy. Just be smart. You could get robbed in the middle of the day, or you can get robbed at night. The key is travelling smart.

Koffee
 
Old 12-14-05, 02:24 PM
  #27  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by koffee brown
Lots of people hanging around anyplace at night look pretty dodgy.
Nonsense. It all depends on context. Lots of people hanging around after just coming out of the opera don't look dodgy at all. Lots of well-heeled shoppers on Via Monte Napoleone don't look dodgy at all (I, on the other hand, looked dodgy enough to scare one well-heeled couple late at night on Via Monte Napoleone ). Lots of people in the Piazza Del Duomo or the Galleria don't necessarily look dodgy (although there are definitely some dodgy pick-pockets in the Piazza).


Just be smart. You could get robbed in the middle of the day, or you can get robbed at night. The key is travelling smart.

Koffee
What do you mean by "traveling smart"? Isn't that what I'm saying-- travel smart, part of which means "avoid dodgy looking areas"? Isn't that what traveling smart means-- or do you have a different meaning?

I agree with you-- you've got to pay attention to your spider sense, day or night, at home or abroad. The closest I've come to being mugged was here in Portland, on a dark, deserted street at 4 AM. I didn't get mugged because I paid attention to my spider sense, but it was close. But there is at least one significant difference between being at home and traveling abroad-- one tends to carry more cash when traveling abroad, and is thus a riper target for the muggers/pickpockets who are aware of this fact. Couple that with being a tourist--i.e., being unfamiliar with the area-- and you need to travel smart. To me, that means avoid situations that make your spider sense tingle. What does it mean to you?
Blue Order is offline  
Old 12-14-05, 03:45 PM
  #28  
Guest
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
It's equally nonsense to say that just because your perspective of a place (train station) is dodgy, then it definitely is the place to avoid! There are a number of good, outdoor (seated) restaurants in that area, as well as at least two gourmet shops and a ton of coffee shops. Not to mention the number of hotels. There may be some strange looking people directly in front of the train station, but that's the same for a lot of the main train stations all over Italy. But it's no reason to be afraid of your shadow or encourage others to do the same.

Koffee
 
Old 12-14-05, 04:51 PM
  #29  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by koffee brown
It's equally nonsense to say that just because your perspective of a place (train station) is dodgy, then it definitely is the place to avoid! There are a number of good, outdoor (seated) restaurants in that area, as well as at least two gourmet shops and a ton of coffee shops. Not to mention the number of hotels. There may be some strange looking people directly in front of the train station, but that's the same for a lot of the main train stations all over Italy. But it's no reason to be afraid of your shadow or encourage others to do the same.

Koffee
You know that park behind Castello Sforzesco? The one full of dodgy-looking people? Have you ever walked through there alone at midnight? I have. With my arm in a sling after dislocating my shoulder seven times in two days. Not in top fighting trim at all. But I still walked through there, alone at midnight. Does that sound like somebody who's "afraid of my own shadow" to you?

As I said in my previous post, I stayed at a hotel within a block of the train station-- in part because my arm was in a sling, and I was carrying 4 bags, and it was cheaper and easier to stay there.

I'm not encouraging the OP to be afraid of his/her own shadow. I'm giving the OP information that may be useful, considering that the hotels near the train station were recommended. Don't you think people are entitled to know something about the areas that are recommended to them, so they can make an informed decision for themselves?

And you still haven't defined what you mean by "travel smart." Apparently, according to you, it doesn't mean avoid situations that you may perceive to be dangerous.
Blue Order is offline  
Old 12-14-05, 05:01 PM
  #30  
Every day a winding road
Thread Starter
 
spinnaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 6,538

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by koffee brown
During the daytime, they run some slower trains that go longer distances.... but you will not be able to (for instance) take a long distance night train from Rome to Milan. All night trains are only bike-less, which makes sense considering how cramped it can be in the train compartments and the food cart pushing through there every hour.

Go to www.trenitalia.com and look up the trains for yourself.

Koffee
When you say "bike-less" . Is that totally "bike-less" or will they take the bike on the luggage car? If they do, didn't you say I may need a bike box?

So I should give myself 2 nights (for instance) to get from Rome to Milan??? Wow they must move slow, that is not much more than 300 miles. What if I traveled during the day?

I was already aware of that website, thank you. The problem is that it is in Italiano and I am just learning.
spinnaker is offline  
Old 12-14-05, 05:05 PM
  #31  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
I was already aware of that website, thank you. The problem is that it is in Italiano and I am just learning.
Let me know what you need to know and I'll translate for you.
Blue Order is offline  
Old 12-14-05, 05:20 PM
  #32  
Guest
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by spinnaker
When you say "bike-less" . Is that totally "bike-less" or will they take the bike on the luggage car? If they do, didn't you say I may need a bike box?

So I should give myself 2 nights (for instance) to get from Rome to Milan??? Wow they must move slow, that is not much more than 300 miles. What if I traveled during the day?

I was already aware of that website, thank you. The problem is that it is in Italiano and I am just learning.
It's not in Italian- there's a british flag you click on, and it gives you the english translated site.

By bike-less, I mean they don't even have a bike car. They have nothing. If you have a bike and it's not boxed up or taken apart and put into luggage, you will not get entry. That's just how it works.

Give yourself a couple of days. Or leave really really early in the morning and plan on getting in later in the evening.

Koffee
 
Old 12-14-05, 05:21 PM
  #33  
Guest
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
By the way, here's the english version of the website: https://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html



Koffee
 
Old 12-14-05, 05:24 PM
  #34  
Every day a winding road
Thread Starter
 
spinnaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 6,538

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by koffee brown
Give yourself a couple of days. Or leave really really early in the morning and plan on getting in later in the evening.

Koffee
So by that, I assume if you travel during the day, they will take your bike?

And they have actual bike cars????
spinnaker is offline  
Old 12-14-05, 05:25 PM
  #35  
Guest
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Well, there are just more trains that have the bike compartments travelling in the day. In the evening, the long haul trains generally do not have bike compartments.

Some have bike cars, some just accept bikes and you just prop it in the hallway or something.

Koffee
 
Old 12-14-05, 05:30 PM
  #36  
Every day a winding road
Thread Starter
 
spinnaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 6,538

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by koffee brown
It's not in Italian- there's a british flag you click on, and it gives you the english translated site.


Koffee
This is not Italian ?? What is it???

I looked all over the page for one of those silly flags. Did not see it but way up at top it says English. I still don't see a flag but maybe because I am using Firefox or maybe it is the adblock software blocking it.

Anyway thanks for the link in English!
spinnaker is offline  
Old 12-14-05, 05:32 PM
  #37  
Every day a winding road
Thread Starter
 
spinnaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 6,538

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by koffee brown
Well, there are just more trains that have the bike compartments travelling in the day. In the evening, the long haul trains generally do not have bike compartments.

Some have bike cars, some just accept bikes and you just prop it in the hallway or something.

Koffee
Bike compartments and bike cars. Cool!
spinnaker is offline  
Old 12-15-05, 12:05 PM
  #38  
Senior Member
 
Lolly Pop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Norn'Iron
Posts: 1,399

Bikes: Gardin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
This is not Italian ?? What is it???

I looked all over the page for one of those silly flags. Did not see it but way up at top it says English. I still don't see a flag but maybe because I am using Firefox or maybe it is the adblock software blocking it.

Anyway thanks for the link in English!
At the very top of the page there are a series of links in blue text. The last one over on the right says "English". I clicked on it and got the Trenitalia page in Anglais.
Lolly Pop is offline  
Old 12-24-05, 08:08 AM
  #39  
Junior Member
 
Shekk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Dresden/Germany
Posts: 15

Bikes: Cube Mountain-/Touringbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you won't encounter any problems finding accomodation. September is already the end of the peak season and there is loads of hotels space available if you don't ask for certain standards.
Shekk is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.