Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

User Tag List

Old 09-22-07, 08:55 AM   #1
ndtova

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mirror on a T2000

I'm the proud new owner of a Cannondale T2000. My previous bike had flat bars, and a bar-end mirror worked great.

The country roads I ride have lots of curves, and I really feel I need a mirror to be safe. I haven't yet figured out the best way to mount a mirror on the T2000's drop bars.

Any suggestions? What have other folks used that you found useful?

Much thanks!
ndtova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-07, 09:12 AM   #2
The Smokester

Bikes:
I haven't found a satisfactory mirror that mounts on drop bars. The bar end mounts are too far back (for me). I used something like the Sprintech Rear View Mirror ([http://www.amazon.com/Sprintech-Rear...outThisProduct) for a while until it got knocked off and haven't replaced it because it just wasn't that effective.

The best I have found after much searching is Bike Peddlar's "Take A Look Mirror" (http://www.amazon.com/Bike-Peddler-O.../dp/B000CSQWWA) which can mount either to eye glasses or helmet. I use the helmet mount.

Hope this helps.
The Smokester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-07, 09:34 AM   #3
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, an orange one and a few titanium ones
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1285 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndtova View Post
I'm the proud new owner of a Cannondale T2000. My previous bike had flat bars, and a bar-end mirror worked great.

The country roads I ride have lots of curves, and I really feel I need a mirror to be safe. I haven't yet figured out the best way to mount a mirror on the T2000's drop bars.

Any suggestions? What have other folks used that you found useful?

Much thanks!
There's a lot of them out there. The Smokester gave you one but there's a bunch more that will mount in the end of the bar. For example these from Nashbar or these from Harris.

But as the Smokester pointed out, consider a helmet mount mirror too. Because you can rotate your head, the range of view is much greater than what you can get from a handlebar mirror. My favorite is the Third Eye Pro. It's arm is longer and the mirror a little bigger. I find it easier to focus on then some of the smaller helmet mirrors.
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.
cyccommute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-07, 10:16 AM   #4
teamcompi

Bikes:
I fooled around with a mountain "mirricle" and others and just went to a helmet style and have never looked back...pun...
teamcompi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-07, 10:25 AM   #5
hockey

Bikes: Trek 5200, Giant Rainier, Devinci Destination,Motobecane CF, Cannondale road tandem, Bike Friday NWT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I second the helmet mirror. The wife and I have used them for years. Takes a while to get used to but I wouldn't ride without one.
Hockey
hockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-07, 11:43 AM   #6
Erick L
Lentement mais sûrement

Bikes:
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Here's a link i got from the commuting forum: http://www.calhouncycle.com/productc...p?idCategory=9

I use a Mountain mirrycle mounted on a light bracket (my bike has bar-end shifters). Never had a problem seeing the whole road behind or touching up my make-up while riding.
Erick L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-07, 06:10 PM   #7
Old Hammer Boy

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Smokester View Post
I haven't found a satisfactory mirror that mounts on drop bars. The bar end mounts are too far back (for me). I used something like the Sprintech Rear View Mirror ([http://www.amazon.com/Sprintech-Rear...outThisProduct) for a while until it got knocked off and haven't replaced it because it just wasn't that effective.

The best I have found after much searching is Bike Peddlar's "Take A Look Mirror" (http://www.amazon.com/Bike-Peddler-O.../dp/B000CSQWWA) which can mount either to eye glasses or helmet. I use the helmet mount.

Hope this helps.
+1 on the Take-a-Look. It's great to be able to scan around. You need the right type of glasses with relatively flat temples, but other than that, it works just great.
Old Hammer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-07, 07:24 PM   #8
bikeaway2003

Bikes:
Mirry Mirror clamped to handlebar. It interferes slightly with your hand when braking but the mirror can be adjusted to have an excellent view of your partner and of any vehicles coming from a long way away. Mirry did not provide the bracket when I purchased mine but my LBS had one in stock. Another excellent security feature is the new "Blinky" Superflash by Planet Bike. We used it during rainy / foggy days. It comes with a clamp that could be used to attach your mirror.
bikeaway2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-07, 08:07 PM   #9
Michel Gagnon
Year-round cyclist

Bikes:
Long time ago I had a Mirrycle with a home-machined horizontal arm twice longer than the original one.
It was good, but had a few flaws:
– Even with the longer arm, a sweater blocked about 25 % of the view and a rain coat about 50-60 %. In our kind of weather, it meant I had a 100%-useful mirror about 2 months per year.
– It can be bumped out of position fairly easily when you park.
– It doesn't work when you ride on the left.
– If you have more than one bike, your mirror is never in the right place.

By the way, it can be mounted on aero levers, just like shown here (half way through the page).

I now use a helmet-mounted mirror. It took me a few days to get used to it, but I would never go back to the handlebar-mounted mirror.
Michel Gagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-07, 04:39 PM   #10
MacBeth
Banned

Bikes:
+1 for the EVO mirror from Calhoun Cycle. I have barend shifters and cannot install a mirror in the barends. I have used several helment mounted and eyeglass mounted mirrors but could not get used to any of them.

I put the EVO on about 2 weeks and 300 miles ago and like the mirror very much. Perhaps a tad pricey, but worth it. It does not vibrate excesively and does not have that cheap plastic crap for a reflector. The field of vision is large as well. Highly recommended.

I mount it on the lower curve of the drops, just about where the shifter cable exits the bar tape. And, the mounting is secure and strong (so far, at least).

As far as I can tell, only Calhoun sells them, but you might find another retailer.
MacBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-07, 05:54 PM   #11
Raven Stands Al
Emperor of the Universe

Bikes: Raleigh Marathon grand touring machine, Paramount Series 5 PDG (Fixie), Mongoose S20.
Back when I used to wear a helmet I would go to a craft store, get a small, 1.5" round mirror, bend a loop in the end of a spoke with the flat end removed, bend it into a loop, bend the loop 90 degrees to the shaft, epoxy the mirror to the loop and jam the other end coated with epoxy resin into the foam of the helmet right next to where my temple would be, let dry and adjust the shaft and mirror for the best visibility past my ear. You can hang the mirror about 4-6 inches out in front of your eye coverage area that way and have excellent visibility in all directions that you can turn your head to look behind you.

Raven

Last edited by Raven Stands Al; 09-27-07 at 10:20 AM.
Raven Stands Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-07, 07:08 AM   #12
acantor
Macro Geek

Bikes: True North tourer (www.truenorthcycles.com), 2004; Miyata 1000, 1985
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBeth View Post
+1 for the EVO mirror from Calhoun Cycle. I have barend shifters and cannot install a mirror in the barends. I have used several helment mounted and eyeglass mounted mirrors but could not get used to any of them.
For drop bars, three EVO mirrors look like they may do the trick. Is there a particular model you would recommend?

"Evo Mirror Evolution"

"Evo Lite Mirror Evolution"

"Evo Sport Mirror Evolution"
acantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-07, 05:49 AM   #13
seaworthy

Bikes: Lemond Zurich, Cannondale T2000, Specialized Rockhopper
I use the Evo Mirror + Evo 35mm extension on my T2000. Calhoun also said the the Evo Sport might work, although "a little shorter in the rise."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6926web.jpg (79.3 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by seaworthy; 09-27-07 at 06:13 AM.
seaworthy is offline   Reply With Quote