Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

So here's my summer tour plan...

Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

So here's my summer tour plan...

Reply

Old 03-24-08, 12:02 PM
  #1  
xxsoultonesxx
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So here's my summer tour plan...

At the end of the month I start spring quarter at school, finals are scheduled for June 11th-13th. Right now we are planning to fly out from Sea-tac on June 15th to Savannah, GA. From there camp up the coast following the route in "Bicycling the Atlantic Coast" (If anyone has ever used this route, please chime in) Our final location with all of our gear is in New Jersey, and from there, we will likely ship everything but the essentials for a 3-4 day stint in NYC. I have requested a 35 day leave of absence from my job, and taken the summer quarter off from school. I'm pretty sure this should be enough time for the trip. The tour will be 85% self supported, the other 15% will be some friends of my riding partner housing us overnight in various locations along the way. Both of us are riding Surly LHT's, front and rear racks, with full waterproof panniers. Right now we're pretty well prepared, as far as riding skill, and miles ridden in preparation goes, (we both average over 100 miles per week). Our route supplied in the book averages about 60-80 miles in a day, and we plan on following that for the most part, possibly doubling the mileage on a few days. Anyway, what I'd like to hear from you guys....recommendations on must see locations between Savannah and NYC, places to camp, ideas for beating the heat/weather, maybe some inspirational photos, or just some general advice. Thanks.
xxsoultonesxx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-08, 12:21 PM
  #2  
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 2,579
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
You must, absolutely must, take the Outer Banks option in North Carolina.

If you want a truly exceptional experience, then leave you bikes safely with someone and take a shuttle ferry over either to Cape Lookout from Harkers Island or Portsmouth Island from Okracoke. Cape Lookout has a stunning lighthouse and amazing sandspit out into the ocean. Make sure to spend the night for full effect. One stretch of the beach was phosphorescent when I was there many years ago - out footsteps sparkled in the sand at night.

Portsmouth Island is an old, abandoned coastal village. There are a number of houses, the church, and the Coast Guard rescue station still standing. Again, there is free, random camping or you can make it a day trip from Okracoke. Ocracoke is, by far, the best place on the Atlantic coast. Make sure to get a brewski and catch the sunset over Silver Lake Harbor. Then catch the sunrise over the ocean the next morning.
jamawani is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-08, 11:49 AM
  #3  
xxsoultonesxx
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are bikes not allowed on the island? Sounds awesome....
xxsoultonesxx is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service