Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Shipping Destination needed in San Francisco

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Shipping Destination needed in San Francisco

Old 07-18-08, 04:52 PM
  #1  
Every day a winding road
Thread Starter
 
spinnaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 6,538

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Shipping Destination needed in San Francisco

I'm planning on shipping my bike out ahead of me tp San Francisco, for the start of my PCH tour.

One option I have is to use REI. Someone on this forum said you do not need to have REI pack up the bike but everyone I have talked to so far at REI insists that they need to pack the bike. The total bill to pack and ship is around $130. I'll pay it if I have to but I'd like to look into other options.

Any ideas on where I can ship a bike and have them store it for a couple of days? Maybe a tourer friendly bike shop?

I already checked FedEx and while they have decent ground shipping prices, they do not have pickup locations for ground shipments.
spinnaker is offline  
Old 07-18-08, 06:08 PM
  #2  
cyclopath
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
I'm planning on shipping my bike out ahead of me tp San Francisco, for the start of my PCH tour.

One option I have is to use REI. Someone on this forum said you do not need to have REI pack up the bike but everyone I have talked to so far at REI insists that they need to pack the bike. The total bill to pack and ship is around $130. I'll pay it if I have to but I'd like to look into other options.

Any ideas on where I can ship a bike and have them store it for a couple of days? Maybe a tourer friendly bike shop?

I already checked FedEx and while they have decent ground shipping prices, they do not have pickup locations for ground shipments.
Ship it via Fedex to a Kinkos in San Francisco, they will hold it until you arrive at no extra charge, I have done this several times without hassle
RCordone is offline  
Old 07-18-08, 07:09 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RCordone
Ship it via Fedex to a Kinkos in San Francisco, they will hold it until you arrive at no extra charge, I have done this several times without hassle
They will only hold your package if you ship it via Fedex Express, not ground
Muttsta is offline  
Old 07-18-08, 07:16 PM
  #4  
cyclopath
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Muttsta
They will only hold your package if you ship it via Fedex Express, not ground

I just looked, you are right and I stand corrected! They no longer accept ground shipments to Kinkos. Last I did that was in June of 2007. I'll check my FedEx Account to see if that now applies to Fedex account holders also.

Edited to add: Looking at my FedEx account, The no ground shipping to Kinkos rule also applies to FedEX account holders as of Jan 1 2008. Ground shipping a standard 52x8x28 bike box weighing 40 lbs from Pittsburgh to San Francisco is 32.63 on a FedEx account. To use FedExpress it is $161.70 to ship to a Kinkos in SF using a FedEx account

Last edited by RCordone; 07-18-08 at 07:47 PM.
RCordone is offline  
Old 07-19-08, 05:23 PM
  #5  
Every day a winding road
Thread Starter
 
spinnaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 6,538

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
I'm not sure where you get 32.63. I get $62 (includes insurance, without insurance it is something like $57). It is $200 for FedEx Express.

Do you get that much better rates if you are an account holder? How does one become one?


I wonder why they took away the storage for ground packages? Heck I would even pay $10 or $20 for the service.

OK since Kinkos is out, any other ideas for San Francisco?
spinnaker is offline  
Old 07-19-08, 06:25 PM
  #6  
Junior Member
 
Rockman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
See if you can send your bike to yourself care of the USPS. I used to ship food, and backpacking supplies from CA to various post offices along the Applachian Trail care of General Deilivery with my name attached. The post office would hold it for a few weeks and if unclaimed send back to sender, which would be me.

Give 'em a call.
Rockman is offline  
Old 07-19-08, 06:36 PM
  #7  
Every day a winding road
Thread Starter
 
spinnaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 6,538

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockman
See if you can send your bike to yourself care of the USPS. I used to ship food, and backpacking supplies from CA to various post offices along the Applachian Trail care of General Deilivery with my name attached. The post office would hold it for a few weeks and if unclaimed send back to sender, which would be me.

Give 'em a call.
Thanks but not an option. USPS wants $120 and that does not include insurance. I might as well use REI.
spinnaker is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.