Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

What bags/panniers should I get?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

What bags/panniers should I get?

Old 03-28-09, 09:23 AM
  #1  
Bike Collector
Thread Starter
 
Bioflamingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kansas
Posts: 338

Bikes: 1983 Trek 560

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What bags/panniers should I get?

After spending weeks on getting my Giant ready for some light touring, I stumbled across a 91 Trek 750 ready to roll. I guess I got the fun and enjoyment of wasting time searching for just the right stuff to put on the Giant. On a positive note, I found a miyata 610 frame as well, so I'll just pull all the stuff off the giant and put it on the miyata.

Anyway, I'm stuck in my house due to a blizzard and a 6 foot wall of a snow drift blocking my car in. I figured this would be a good time to do some more tour planning.

My question is, what type of bag/panniers should I get? I have an old NOS chrome rack for the front, and a new Topeak Explorer rear rack. I'll just use bungee chords to secure stuff to the front rack, so it'll work fine. On the rear rack however, is this a good rack for LIGHT touring? I picked it up at a garage sale still in the box it was shipped in for $5, so even if it won't work I have plenty of other bikes it'll be happy to go on.

If it will work, what types of bags/panniers should I get? After doing research Topeak makes trunk bags that clip right in place on the rack, which seems like a major advantage. However, they all look very top heavy. Any suggestions on which way to go?

I'll only be carrying a small tent, sleeping bag, a few cooking supplies plus food, and an extra pair of clothes. I'll only be gone for 3-4 days MAX because of my work schedule.

I included a picture of the front rack and a link to a Topeak Explorer like mine.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
front rack.JPG (25.3 KB, 13 views)
Bioflamingo is offline  
Old 03-28-09, 12:05 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
robow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,866
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/search.php?searchid=5818122

These 249 threads should get you started.
robow is offline  
Old 03-28-09, 01:04 PM
  #3  
Every day a winding road
 
spinnaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 6,538

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Bioflamingo
After spending weeks on getting my Giant ready for some light touring, I stumbled across a 91 Trek 750 ready to roll. I guess I got the fun and enjoyment of wasting time searching for just the right stuff to put on the Giant. On a positive note, I found a miyata 610 frame as well, so I'll just pull all the stuff off the giant and put it on the miyata.

Anyway, I'm stuck in my house due to a blizzard and a 6 foot wall of a snow drift blocking my car in. I figured this would be a good time to do some more tour planning.

My question is, what type of bag/panniers should I get? I have an old NOS chrome rack for the front, and a new Topeak Explorer rear rack. I'll just use bungee chords to secure stuff to the front rack, so it'll work fine. On the rear rack however, is this a good rack for LIGHT touring? I picked it up at a garage sale still in the box it was shipped in for $5, so even if it won't work I have plenty of other bikes it'll be happy to go on.

If it will work, what types of bags/panniers should I get? After doing research Topeak makes trunk bags that clip right in place on the rack, which seems like a major advantage. However, they all look very top heavy. Any suggestions on which way to go?

I'll only be carrying a small tent, sleeping bag, a few cooking supplies plus food, and an extra pair of clothes. I'll only be gone for 3-4 days MAX because of my work schedule.

I included a picture of the front rack and a link to a Topeak Explorer like mine.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance
What kind of front rack is it? Is it one of those dealeos that mount to your cantilever brakes?
spinnaker is offline  
Old 03-28-09, 01:23 PM
  #4  
Bike Collector
Thread Starter
 
Bioflamingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kansas
Posts: 338

Bikes: 1983 Trek 560

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
What kind of front rack is it? Is it one of those dealeos that mount to your cantilever brakes?
Yeah, it bolts to the brakes and to the fork. I've got two of them, but the one in the picture is wider and more sturdy than the other one. I know it'll hold some weight because I stuck a 25+ lb antique chainsaw on it and it carried it for over 20 blocks on rough streets. Made the bike a little wobbly but it got there fine. I figured I could stick my sleeping bag on it to free up room on the rear.




As far as the Topeak rack goes I've decided that it isn't what I want. It'll go on another bike. After some research Tubus Cargo racks are within my budget, so I believe that's the way I'll go.
Bioflamingo is offline  
Old 03-28-09, 02:32 PM
  #5  
Every day a winding road
 
spinnaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 6,538

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Bioflamingo
Yeah, it bolts to the brakes and to the fork. I've got two of them, but the one in the picture is wider and more sturdy than the other one. I know it'll hold some weight because I stuck a 25+ lb antique chainsaw on it and it carried it for over 20 blocks on rough streets. Made the bike a little wobbly but it got there fine. I figured I could stick my sleeping bag on it to free up room on the rear.




As far as the Topeak rack goes I've decided that it isn't what I want. It'll go on another bike. After some research Tubus Cargo racks are within my budget, so I believe that's the way I'll go.

Wow sounds like you got a steal then for $5.


I was going to give one of those gizmos from Nashbar a try.
spinnaker is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.