Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Pictures of your loaded rigs?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Pictures of your loaded rigs?

Old 02-09-17, 12:51 AM
  #3926  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South NJ
Posts: 75

Bikes: YT Izzo, Privateer 161, Carbonda 696, Mason InSearchOf, cheap SC High Ball knock off

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
new again

This bike has been through some changes over the years....from my commuter with a normal stem, flat
bar and 32c tires to a really fun mountain bike for less technical trails with 2.2 inch tires and a 32t front
chain ring.

35 mile test today with these bars mounted higher 38t front ring and some 42c tires, really liked going
from the roads to the dirt and back...need some fenders and to decide if I want frame bag or a small
set of front panniers (leaning towards the panniers after looking at all your pictures.. they mount lower
than I though they would)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC00228.jpg (99.9 KB, 1308 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC00224.jpg (104.1 KB, 1303 views)
RayLee is offline  
Old 02-09-17, 01:24 AM
  #3927  
Senior Member
 
bikemig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Middle Earth (aka IA)
Posts: 20,680

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Liked 3,810 Times in 2,215 Posts
Originally Posted by NoShiftSherlock
Update! Got the front rack and panniers on there:

I like the set up and the bike. In fact I just picked up the same bike--a 2016 Fuji touring--second hand from Craigslist. I really like the way the bike rides and it's nicely spec'd for touring. What kind of tires are you using? What's the volume? I am trying to figure out the largest size tire you can run with fenders. I had guessed 700 x 35c or so but your tires look larger. Are those compass tires?
bikemig is offline  
Old 02-09-17, 10:02 AM
  #3928  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 159
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
I like the set up and the bike. In fact I just picked up the same bike--a 2016 Fuji touring--second hand from Craigslist. I really like the way the bike rides and it's nicely spec'd for touring. What kind of tires are you using? What's the volume? I am trying to figure out the largest size tire you can run with fenders. I had guessed 700 x 35c or so but your tires look larger. Are those compass tires?
Thanks! It's a fantastic bike and it rides VERY well and is the reason I picked it over a few bikes that cost double the price. Great value overall.

I will be upgrading to Compass for my next pair actually! Looking at either the Bon Jon or Barlow. These are Panaracer Pasela PTs 700x38. I run them anywhere from 60-75 PSI depending on load. I find 65 to be a sweet spot for sure. Not a single flat since I've had them, really supple and great rolling tire for the added protection/weight. I put them on after just hating the ride of Schwalbes. I definitely have found more of a need for a nicer feeling tire when out touring and I've been on a pair of Bon Jons that rode like a damn dream.

As for fender clearance, it's certainly a touch tight and 38s would be the max size I'd go with fenders. I have no rub and literally no issues at all. The Panaracers actually run 1-2mm small so that helps a bit.

Last edited by NoShiftSherlock; 02-09-17 at 10:09 AM.
NoShiftSherlock is offline  
Old 02-09-17, 10:14 AM
  #3929  
Senior Member
 
bikemig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Middle Earth (aka IA)
Posts: 20,680

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Liked 3,810 Times in 2,215 Posts
Originally Posted by NoShiftSherlock
Thanks! It's a fantastic bike and it rides VERY well and is the reason I picked it over a few bikes that cost double the price. Great value overall.

I will be upgrading to Compass for my next pair actually! Looking at either the Bon Jon or Barlow. These are Panaracer Pasela PTs 700x38. I run them anywhere from 60-75 PSI depending on load. I find 65 to be a sweet spot for sure. Not a single flat since I've had them, really supple and great rolling tire for the added protection/weight. I put them on after just hating the ride of Schwalbes. I definitely have found more of a need for a nicer feeling tire when out touring and I've been on a pair of Bon Jons that rode like a damn dream.

As for fender clearance, it's certainly a touch tight and 38s would be the max size I'd go with fenders. I have no rub and literally no issues at all. The Panaracers actually run 1-2mm small so that helps a bit.
Cool to know. Yeah I figure I'll go with 700 x 35c schwalbe marathons. Agree that this is a fantastic bike for the price. The stock tires are actually quite good. The parts selection is excellent. And I was very happy to be able buy one lightly used on CL. I like the brown B 17 on yours. I have a brown selle anatomica that will look good on this bike. It's funny how little respect fuji gets but it's one of the older bike companies out there and it's been making smart and well priced bikes for a very long time.
bikemig is offline  
Old 02-09-17, 11:03 AM
  #3930  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 159
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Cool to know. Yeah I figure I'll go with 700 x 35c schwalbe marathons. Agree that this is a fantastic bike for the price. The stock tires are actually quite good. The parts selection is excellent. And I was very happy to be able buy one lightly used on CL. I like the brown B 17 on yours. I have a brown selle anatomica that will look good on this bike. It's funny how little respect fuji gets but it's one of the older bike companies out there and it's been making smart and well priced bikes for a very long time.
The stock tires actually lasted 1500+ miles without a single flat. They just wore relatively fast and their traction and grip went to crap quickly. Didn't feel safe riding them. I would recommend getting the spokes tensions out of the factory they were quite tight and could've easily broken for me had I not noticed it. Fuji makes a fantastic bike for sure. This touring bike is also EXTREMELY easy to fix which is great for breaks out in the field (knock on wood, nothing bad yet). I recommend this bike to most anyone looking for a touring bike and with the savings over say a Disc Trucker or something you could EASILY fund a trip. Disc brakes would be nice but I've never ever had an issue with V-brakes even riding 5 days a week here in stormy Florida so I'm ok without them.
NoShiftSherlock is offline  
Old 02-09-17, 11:36 AM
  #3931  
Senior Member
 
bikemig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Middle Earth (aka IA)
Posts: 20,680

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Liked 3,810 Times in 2,215 Posts
Originally Posted by NoShiftSherlock
The stock tires actually lasted 1500+ miles without a single flat. They just wore relatively fast and their traction and grip went to crap quickly. Didn't feel safe riding them. I would recommend getting the spokes tensions out of the factory they were quite tight and could've easily broken for me had I not noticed it. Fuji makes a fantastic bike for sure. This touring bike is also EXTREMELY easy to fix which is great for breaks out in the field (knock on wood, nothing bad yet). I recommend this bike to most anyone looking for a touring bike and with the savings over say a Disc Trucker or something you could EASILY fund a trip. Disc brakes would be nice but I've never ever had an issue with V-brakes even riding 5 days a week here in stormy Florida so I'm ok without them.
I'll check the spoke tension myself. I'm not surprised that the wheels might have some issues. The one place where manufacturers tend to cheapen up a bike tends to be the wheels. I may decide to build some wheels eventually. Good to know that the tires go bad relatively quickly. You may have talked me into buying some schwalbe marathons. Agree that this bike is very easy to fix in the field which is one of the reasons I bought it. The other was the price; I paid half new for a bike that was not a year old. This is an easy bike to recommend at the price.
bikemig is offline  
Old 02-10-17, 09:48 AM
  #3932  
str
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Spain
Posts: 1,100
Liked 534 Times in 259 Posts
soon with luggage

FF600 by Stefan R., on Flickr
str is offline  
Old 02-11-17, 10:50 AM
  #3933  
str
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Spain
Posts: 1,100
Liked 534 Times in 259 Posts
one bag added ..

with Compass Snoqualmie Pass 44mm


FF600 by Stefan R., on Flickr
str is offline  
Old 02-12-17, 07:39 PM
  #3934  
Banned.
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,155

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yesterday as I waited to board the Amtrak from Portland to San Diego. Starting the Southern Tier in 3 days.

Ty0604 is offline  
Old 02-15-17, 11:38 AM
  #3935  
str
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Spain
Posts: 1,100
Liked 534 Times in 259 Posts
str is offline  
Old 02-15-17, 12:23 PM
  #3936  
Crawler
 
linus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: OH~ CANADA
Posts: 1,410
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by str
If you don't mind me asking, what fork do you have on the bike?
linus is offline  
Old 02-15-17, 12:29 PM
  #3937  
str
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Spain
Posts: 1,100
Liked 534 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by linus
If you don't mind me asking, what fork do you have on the bike?
your welcome... Rock Lobster built the fork.
str is offline  
Old 02-15-17, 12:35 PM
  #3938  
Crawler
 
linus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: OH~ CANADA
Posts: 1,410
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by str
your welcome... Rock Lobster built the fork.
Cool. Alu. or Steel?
linus is offline  
Old 02-15-17, 12:36 PM
  #3939  
str
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Spain
Posts: 1,100
Liked 534 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by linus
Cool. Alu. or Steel?

steel, aluminium would be much more oversized.
str is offline  
Old 02-15-17, 01:09 PM
  #3940  
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 40,026
Liked 16,584 Times in 7,769 Posts
Originally Posted by str
steel, aluminium would be much more oversized.
Are those Rapha water bottles?
indyfabz is offline  
Old 03-01-17, 11:54 AM
  #3941  
Senior Member
 
mdilthey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,923

Bikes: Nature Boy 853 Disc, Pugsley SS

Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by str
one bag added ..

with Compass Snoqualmie Pass 44mm


FF600 by Stefan R., on Flickr
Hey str, what's your guess at the actual width of those tires? Would they fit a 42mm clearance frame?
mdilthey is offline  
Old 03-01-17, 12:16 PM
  #3942  
str
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Spain
Posts: 1,100
Liked 534 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by mdilthey
Hey str, what's your guess at the actual width of those tires? Would they fit a 42mm clearance frame?
the first 2-3 days they are 42mm, but the get bigger, to real 44mm, super fast tire, side walls thin as paper! would not use the for touring, but here at home they are great!

for non hard off road touring I will use the non light version, also very good rolling. this a very similar to Panaracer Pasela. also 44mm

str is offline  
Old 03-02-17, 02:25 PM
  #3943  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great thread! Lots of sweet rides.

Here's a pic of my Straggler, 'the Black Squirrel' fully loaded in camp mode.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_8068.jpg (97.4 KB, 998 views)
hmblmgnfcnt is offline  
Old 03-03-17, 04:28 AM
  #3944  
Senior Member
 
zeppinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,016

Bikes: Giant FCR3, Surly LHT

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Mt. Everest, Tibet

Mt. Everest, Tibet

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2583.jpg (21.0 KB, 969 views)
zeppinger is offline  
Old 03-03-17, 11:15 AM
  #3945  
Senior Member
 
robow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,898
Liked 295 Times in 203 Posts
Originally Posted by Ty0604
Yesterday as I waited to board the Amtrak from Portland to San Diego. Starting the Southern Tier in 3 days.
May I ask about the valve accessories that you are using, not sure that I've seen those before.

Edit: Ah, so that's what these might be, stumbled on them elsewhere, it seems they light up and make you extremely visible at night

Last edited by robow; 03-04-17 at 02:15 PM.
robow is offline  
Old 03-16-17, 01:45 AM
  #3946  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 17

Bikes: '97 Marin Eldridge Grade, '21 Kona Dr. Dew

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On a roadside lunch somewhere last summer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20160626_130121.jpg (97.8 KB, 850 views)
jaacco is offline  
Old 03-16-17, 06:49 AM
  #3947  
royal dutch of dukes
 
bikiola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: brooklyn, nyc
Posts: 400
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zeppinger
Mt. Everest, Tibet

happen to have a bigger image? that one is tiny!
bikiola is offline  
Old 03-16-17, 07:13 AM
  #3948  
Senior Member
 
zeppinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,016

Bikes: Giant FCR3, Surly LHT

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I cant figure out why it came out like that. When I posted it it was big but now looks small. Ill try again!

IMG_2583.jpg
zeppinger is offline  
Old 03-16-17, 10:49 AM
  #3949  
Senior Member
 
2 Piece's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 339

Bikes: Motobecane Century Pro Ti Disc

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Motobecane Ti

Here's my rig all setup foe about a 370 mile trip most of which was going to be on the GAP trail. Started at Cumberland and shortly after this photo was taken at the Frostburg trail head I had a heart attack about 4 more miles up the trail. Almost made it to the top. Luckily, I had my nitro pills, took about 3 of them and rode back to Cumberland where the wife picked me up and drove about an hour to the hospital where I ended up staying about 4 days..
Its a Titanium Motobecane with hydraulic brakes- I love it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
frostburg3.jpg (19.2 KB, 1088 views)
2 Piece is offline  
Old 03-20-17, 11:13 AM
  #3950  
str
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Spain
Posts: 1,100
Liked 534 Times in 259 Posts
str is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.