Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Pictures of your loaded rigs?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Pictures of your loaded rigs?

Old 06-01-21, 08:53 AM
  #4551  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 946
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by TomM
What size are those tires?
700x40mm. On those rims (internal diameter 23mm) they're closer to 42mm. I use the bike on gravel roads/trails when doing mutli-surface rides.
Noonievut is offline  
Old 07-17-21, 06:19 PM
  #4552  
nun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,670

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Here is my tried and tested setup of a Carradice Camper and an Ortlieb Classic on a relatively new Specialized Diverge.
The components are 105 and the gearing of 48/32 x 11/34 is good for touring. I have replaced the stock 24 spoke
DTSwiss wheels with 32 spoke HED Eroica/G rims on White hubs and 32 mm Ultra Gatorskins. As I strap my saddle bag to
the seat post I'm using a Nitto S83 and a Brooks Swift saddle. Last year I had planned to take this bike to the
UK to ride from Land's End to John O'Groat's, but I obviously had to cancel that trip.

nun is offline  
Likes For nun:
Old 07-17-21, 06:58 PM
  #4553  
djb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 13,210
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by nun
Here is my tried and tested setup of a Carradice Camper and an Ortlieb Classic on a relatively new Specialized Diverge.
The components are 105 and the gearing of 48/32 x 11/34 is good for touring. I have replaced the stock 24 spoke
DTSwiss wheels with 32 spoke HED Eroica/G rims on White hubs and 32 mm Ultra Gatorskins. As I strap my saddle bag to
the seat post I'm using a Nitto S83 and a Brooks Swift saddle. Last year I had planned to take this bike to the
UK to ride from Land's End to John O'Groat's, but I obviously had to cancel that trip.
Hi there monsieur nun.
re the 32 gatorskins, if ever you'd like to try a different tire, I've ridden 28 gatorskins for years, but decided to put on some 32 supremes. Just like my love for them in 26 on my Troll, the 700x32 supremes are noticeably more comfortable and faster than the 28 gatorskins.
The ride quality is really nice, just like with the 2 and 1.6inch versions on the Troll.
Cheers
djb is online now  
Old 07-18-21, 04:12 AM
  #4554  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 946
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts
So long as I’m staying in B&B’s or other non-camping accommodations this minimal set up is good for days (I wash the bike clothes after the ride and they’re dry the next morning).


Noonievut is offline  
Likes For Noonievut:
Old 07-18-21, 08:38 AM
  #4555  
nun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,670

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Hi there monsieur nun.
re the 32 gatorskins, if ever you'd like to try a different tire, I've ridden 28 gatorskins for years, but decided to put on some 32 supremes. Just like my love for them in 26 on my Troll, the 700x32 supremes are noticeably more comfortable and faster than the 28 gatorskins.
The ride quality is really nice, just like with the 2 and 1.6inch versions on the Troll.
Cheers
Thanks for the recommendation. The combo of the Diverge's front "suspension" and the 32mm tire's volume makes for a nice ride and I've done lots of miles on gatorskins mostly with puncture resistance in mind, but last week I got a flat from a sharpe little stone that embedded itself close to the side wall. Anyway, I'll give the supremes a try.
nun is offline  
Old 07-18-21, 03:14 PM
  #4556  
djb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 13,210
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by nun
Thanks for the recommendation. The combo of the Diverge's front "suspension" and the 32mm tire's volume makes for a nice ride and I've done lots of miles on gatorskins mostly with puncture resistance in mind, but last week I got a flat from a sharpe little stone that embedded itself close to the side wall. Anyway, I'll give the supremes a try.
That's right, I forgot about the suspension fork thing with that bike.
I tried the 32mm Supremes really more for a change to the gatorskins, I may be over exaggerating the difference, but they do have a more flexible sidewall, which gives the extra cush,but of course will be less tough than a gatorskin sidewall. I just figured I had such good life and ride feel out of the 26inch versions on my troll over so many kilometres, that I'd try them out in 700.
*like what I've read of 32 gatorskins measuring 30mm, the Supremes also measure to only 30mm, so bit narrower than stated on my rims (probably 17 or 19mm internal width)

anyway, it's fun sometimes just to try out different tires.
djb is online now  
Old 07-18-21, 11:38 PM
  #4557  
str
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Spain
Posts: 1,063
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked 487 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Hi there monsieur nun.
re the 32 gatorskins, if ever you'd like to try a different tire, I've ridden 28 gatorskins for years, but decided to put on some 32 supremes. Just like my love for them in 26 on my Troll, the 700x32 supremes are noticeably more comfortable and faster than the 28 gatorskins.
The ride quality is really nice, just like with the 2 and 1.6inch versions on the Troll.
Cheers
hello djb, and 40mm are noticeably more comfortable and faster than the 32 gatorskins )
str is offline  
Old 07-19-21, 06:40 AM
  #4558  
djb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 13,210
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by str
hello djb, and 40mm are noticeably more comfortable and faster than the 32 gatorskins )
shhh, and don't tell anybody, but on rough roads, 45mm are even more comfortable and faster than 40mm
(but completely depends on the specific tire)

Just the other day I fixed a friends bike and when finished, checked the tire pressures of the 42mm super tough commuter tires. I was amazed by how stiff the sidewall and entire carcass was, so much that even at 35psi, I could barely push any part of the tire in with my thumb. I'm sure they ride like slow planks of wood compared to a nice tire.

Last edited by djb; 07-19-21 at 06:45 AM.
djb is online now  
Old 07-19-21, 06:53 AM
  #4559  
djb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 13,210
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Nun, check this article out. Yes this fellow has an agenda (selling his rather dear tires) but his findings pretty much match my real world observations with wider Supremes, even with the jumbo 2 inch 50mm (measuring 45 on my rims) on my Troll all loaded up.

https://www.renehersecycles.com/12-myths-in-cycling-1-wider-tires-are-slower/

I see the big bonus as more rider comfort with less fatigue, and great cornering as a bonus, which I love.
djb is online now  
Old 07-19-21, 07:32 AM
  #4560  
str
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Spain
Posts: 1,063
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked 487 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
shhh, and don't tell anybody, but on rough roads, 45mm are even more comfortable and faster than 40mm
(but completely depends on the specific tire)

Just the other day I fixed a friends bike and when finished, checked the tire pressures of the 42mm super tough commuter tires. I was amazed by how stiff the sidewall and entire carcass was, so much that even at 35psi, I could barely push any part of the tire in with my thumb. I'm sure they ride like slow planks of wood compared to a nice tire.

but only off road, on road better 40mm

and better get some supple tires ...
str is offline  
Old 07-19-21, 10:59 AM
  #4561  
djb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 13,210
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by str
but only off road, on road better 40mm

and better get some supple tires ...
ya, I tend to agree on that. Now that I've spent time on both the larger Supremes, 50 and 42mm (but remember only 45 and 37 for me) the main advantage of the wider ones is that when carrying more load weight than you do, it makes live easier on the rims/panniers, and reassuring that I can encounter a really wide range of surfaces and conditions and feel quite confident due to the larger footprint.

but yes, the smaller ones I have on now have been great on pavement,and quite light at 440g I think, which is a nice bonus.
it's an incentive to lighten up my load!
djb is online now  
Old 07-19-21, 01:30 PM
  #4562  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: California
Posts: 3

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Elite, Felt Cafe, Specailized Enduro Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Agreed 100%

Originally Posted by capsicum
Question: why do I see a lot of bikes with lowrider front pnniers, then I look up and bam! a fatty bag, way up on the handle bars, what's the point they just cancel out?
Why not lowriders with a small bag that sits on top of the rack instead of way up on the bars?
This is just ignorance with simple physics. The lower your center of gravity, the stabler is your ride. Not only does a heavy bag on the handlebar raises the center of gravity of the rig, the bag catches more wind and impacts the steering. This can be a serious problem with strong cross winds.
tang1223 is offline  
Old 07-19-21, 01:37 PM
  #4563  
The dropped
 
Unca_Sam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 2,144

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by tang1223
This is just ignorance with simple physics. The lower your center of gravity, the stabler is your ride. Not only does a heavy bag on the handlebar raises the center of gravity of the rig, the bag catches more wind and impacts the steering. This can be a serious problem with strong cross winds.
My $0.02, but the convenience of having nutrition, rain gear, etc within reach while riding might override the concerns of higher CoG or increased stability in crosswinds. Convenience is a 100% of the time thing, while those other listed concerns are maybe something to worry about 10% of a ride, depending on conditions?
Unca_Sam is offline  
Old 07-19-21, 03:24 PM
  #4564  
nun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,670

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by tang1223
This is just ignorance with simple physics. The lower your center of gravity, the stabler is your ride. Not only does a heavy bag on the handlebar raises the center of gravity of the rig, the bag catches more wind and impacts the steering. This can be a serious problem with strong cross winds.
Essentially correct. However, with light weight set ups "stability" isn't as big an issue as if you are carrying 50 or 60lbs of stuff in 4 x panniers. Placing weight low down and far from the center of mass, ie. the rider, will make the bike stabler, some people might call it sluggish and hard to control. Putting weight up high will raise the center of mass, but if it's only 10lbs and is kept close to the rider as with bikepacking set ups then the moment isn't that large. Handlebar bags do affect steering, but I don't think wind is a big issue, the bigger issue is the weight. Again if you keep it low, maybe 5lbs or less you quickly get use to it.
nun is offline  
Likes For nun:
Old 07-24-21, 12:55 PM
  #4565  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Los Banos, CA
Posts: 887

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 206 Posts
Not loaded, but pre-planning for a trip (see Post). I hope I can managed the trip set up this way.

Cheapo Amazon saddle pack, and under top tube bag. Revalate Designs top tube bag and feed bags, and Route Works handlebar bag.
mgopack42 is offline  
Likes For mgopack42:
Old 07-25-21, 08:56 AM
  #4566  
Mad bike riding scientist
 
cyccommute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 27,342

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6201 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by nun
Essentially correct. However, with light weight set ups "stability" isn't as big an issue as if you are carrying 50 or 60lbs of stuff in 4 x panniers. Placing weight low down and far from the center of mass, ie. the rider, will make the bike stabler, some people might call it sluggish and hard to control. Putting weight up high will raise the center of mass, but if it's only 10lbs and is kept close to the rider as with bikepacking set ups then the moment isn't that large. Handlebar bags do affect steering, but I don't think wind is a big issue, the bigger issue is the weight. Again if you keep it low, maybe 5lbs or less you quickly get use to it.
You are being a bit disingenuous in your weight comparisons. In this day and age, not too many people are going to be carrying around 50 to 60 lbs in a traditional 4 pannier setup. 30 to 40 lbs would be closer to the mark. On the other hand, I can’t see how you can carry 10 lbs with a bikepacking load and camp. My bikepacking loads with camping stuff and eating freeze-dried, are close to 30 lbs. I can’t see how I could shed 20 lbs and still eat or have water to drink.

As a rule, I don’t do extreme downhill off-pavement on a rigid road touring bike. I do, however, do that kind of riding on my bikepacking bike. I have to be much more careful while descending on a steep rocky trail with a bikepacking load to avoid face plants. It’s quite astounding how quickly the bike can flip over with a lighter load. It requires a much more dynamic riding style…getting back off the saddle and going easy on the brakes…than unloaded mountain bike riding on slopes that are not all that steep.
__________________
Stuart Black
Plan Epsilon Around Lake Michigan in the era of Covid
Old School…When It Wasn’t Ancient bikepacking
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!



cyccommute is offline  
Old 07-25-21, 11:50 PM
  #4567  
str
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Spain
Posts: 1,063
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked 487 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by tang1223
This is just ignorance with simple physics. The lower your center of gravity, the stabler is your ride. Not only does a heavy bag on the handlebar raises the center of gravity of the rig, the bag catches more wind and impacts the steering. This can be a serious problem with strong cross winds.
sorry, what? strong crosswinds a serious problem? nahhhhh sorry that I laugh, that must be a joke?
I am riding this setup since years on long tours, where I cook and sleep outside, or my rides have been wind free, or I am not sensible enough to strong winds
There is no ""serious problem"" anywhere with wind.



Last edited by str; 07-26-21 at 12:15 AM.
str is offline  
Likes For str:
Old 07-27-21, 12:17 AM
  #4568  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 2,040
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
You realize now people are going to want some custom bags
Trust me, I’ve tried.
polymorphself is offline  
Likes For polymorphself:
Old 07-28-21, 06:41 AM
  #4569  
nun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,670

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
You are being a bit disingenuous in your weight comparisons. In this day and age, not too many people are going to be carrying around 50 to 60 lbs in a traditional 4 pannier setup. 30 to 40 lbs would be closer to the mark. On the other hand, I can’t see how you can carry 10 lbs with a bikepacking load and camp. My bikepacking loads with camping stuff and eating freeze-dried, are close to 30 lbs. I can’t see how I could shed 20 lbs and still eat or have water to drink.

As a rule, I don’t do extreme downhill off-pavement on a rigid road touring bike. I do, however, do that kind of riding on my bikepacking bike. I have to be much more careful while descending on a steep rocky trail with a bikepacking load to avoid face plants. It’s quite astounding how quickly the bike can flip over with a lighter load. It requires a much more dynamic riding style…getting back off the saddle and going easy on the brakes…than unloaded mountain bike riding on slopes that are not all that steep.
As per the usual convention I did not include food or water and I was being generic in my estimates. Many bike packers don't bother with a tent and so can keep their load very light, but some do go "bag happy" and strap on a bag wherever there is space. My saddIebag is 12lbs (includes a 1.5lb sleeping bag and a 1.75lb tent) and my front bag is around 6lbs, but varies as I put food in it. You then have to add 2x 1L bottles and the food I carry is stuff like couscous, ramen and jerky. I stop at markets often and will carry flat bread, cheese or salami for the day in my front bag and fruit in my back pockets. The most extreme ground I ride is gravel roads.

Last edited by nun; 07-28-21 at 03:36 PM.
nun is offline  
Old 08-02-21, 11:44 AM
  #4570  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: QC Canada
Posts: 1,965

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts


Taken here. Quite isolated, accessible only via forest roads. This trip took me from Quebec city to Jasper (where I wait for family) on a northerly route. Forest roads for the first 400kms, and then (mostly) the northernmost T-can.

Happy to report zero flat (one busted spoke, lightly damaged rear derailleur due to difficult conditions in heavy gravel).

Last edited by gauvins; 08-02-21 at 11:54 AM.
gauvins is offline  
Likes For gauvins:
Old 08-02-21, 03:28 PM
  #4571  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada
Posts: 311

Bikes: '23 Devinci Hatchet Carbon Apex1 '19 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 ,'12 Motobecane Turino (killed by dog crash), '12 Trek 3700 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 74 Posts
^^ that's a bit of a spicy name, no?
Bearhawker is offline  
Old 08-02-21, 07:12 PM
  #4572  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: QC Canada
Posts: 1,965

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
Actually, a play on words. La Patate du Coin would translate to something like The Corner Fries. It happens to be next to a lake called Gouin. So... La Patate du Gouin is hilarious if you are from Québec.
gauvins is offline  
Likes For gauvins:
Old 08-04-21, 10:09 PM
  #4573  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 21

Bikes: Trek 414 or 412?, cannondale touring bike from 1993?, specialized hard rock, nashbar 4000x, etc. nothing fancy…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Does 34 years ago count?

My trusty old Peugeot (vintage 1985) touring bike on way from Villars-sur-Ollon, Switz. to Barcelona, Spain (train from Valence to Nimes after a 200 km day). Prior day was Grand St. Bernard (light drizzle on the downward side, versus loose gravel going down the Petit St. Bernard). Styling it in my classic Bell helmet. Skipped the camping gear and just stayed at hostels (heading to a multi-week language class in Spain). Prior trips in France and Geneva-Munich dragging 2 person tent plus sleeping bag suggested hostels were better option (except for a week with 'slightly inebriated' Australians in Munich.) Didn't break spokes on Peugeot like I did with same load on Trek 412. Neither budget nor desire for front panniers. Ah, for the days when the dollar was king...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
PtitSBern1987.jpg (677.7 KB, 756 views)
BertCooper is offline  
Likes For BertCooper:
Old 08-08-21, 09:51 AM
  #4574  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 376
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 79 Posts
5 day, 250 mile trip. 2 days with friends and staying in b&bs and 3 days on my own, camping. Bike is an Orro Terra C- originally it was the 105 hydro model (as that's what was in the shop and in my size following a bike theft). I swapped put the 50/34 for a 46/30 chainset and put an 11-32 cassette on. Might get a wolf/goat link and go a bit lower. Tyres are 40mm Hutchinson Touregs. Handlebar and saddle bag are Altura Vortex. Alpkit Elan bivvy attached to handlebar bag. Custom frame bag.
rivers is offline  
Likes For rivers:
Old 08-21-21, 03:36 AM
  #4575  
str
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Spain
Posts: 1,063
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked 487 Times in 236 Posts
str is offline  
Likes For str:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.