Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Animals and GAP and CO

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Animals and GAP and CO

Old 06-20-11, 07:20 PM
  #1  
KateE
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 7

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Comp; Specialized Mtn bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Animals and GAP and CO

I am going to start my first tour next week from Pittsburgh to DC. I was wondering if anyone could comment on animal encounters on the trails...? I am figuring that raccoons might need to be planned on but are there others that I should be concerned with?

Thanks!
KateE is offline  
Old 06-20-11, 08:36 PM
  #2  
spinnaker
Every day a winding road
 
spinnaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 6,539

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3392 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 45 Posts
If you are lucky you will see a black bear or two. Keep your eyes down to the river along the shore. You will see lots of deer. Plenty rabbits and ground hogs.

Lots of cranes and turtles along the C&O.





Camping, raccoons and skunks will be the only real issue.

Let me know if you need anything at the Pittsburgh end. Shuttle, tour guide, a place to stay, advice, whatever, assuming I am home. I will be out July 4th weekend riding the Greenbriar Trail. Other than that I should be around.


Where is your planned start in Pittsburgh? I live just a mile or two from the Montour Trail which connects to the GAP.

You could also take the new trail that starts in Homestead. I can give you a good route to Homestead should you decide to go that way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0629.jpg (97.3 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_0632.jpg (88.8 KB, 119 views)
spinnaker is offline  
Old 06-21-11, 04:58 AM
  #3  
Carpe Diabolus
Same but different
 
Carpe Diabolus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Right side of the lawn
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good luck seeing a crane on the ride. You're much more likely to see Herons: Great Blue Heron (pictured above), Green Heron and Night Heron (both yellow crowned and black crowned). If you're at the river side at dusk you can watch the "changing of the guard" as the Great Blue Herons will be flying back to their nest and the Night Heron will be waking up.
Carpe Diabolus is offline  
Old 06-21-11, 05:14 AM
  #4  
JacktheFlash
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is lots of wildlife to enjoy, lots of turkeys, sometimes a hen with her younguns. Deer are plentiful, Never seen the bear but some have been lucky. You will enjoy riding these great trails. Have fun!
JacktheFlash is offline  
Old 06-21-11, 05:14 AM
  #5  
KateE
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 7

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Comp; Specialized Mtn bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info...loved the picture of the turtles! I think I was most concerned with bears and wondering if I should take a bear proof device for all the smelly stuff I will be taking along. When car camping, raccoons and skunks are easy to deal with because you can just lock it all in the car. I suppose the bear proof device would be overkill for the raccoons and skunks but it certainly would work.

I am headed to Pittsburgh next Wednesday. Our original plan was to start in McKeesport. Last night I read about the new trail opening up and the difficulty of the one road leading to McKeesport. ...so I am interested in learning more. Let me confirm my itinerary and get back with questions.

We may be staying in Pittsburgh on the way back, but not confirmed yet. You know...it all depends on timing and when we leave DC that day.
KateE is offline  
Old 06-21-11, 07:14 AM
  #6  
Neil_B
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
There is one creature on the GAP you should beware. It haunts, and hunts, on the highest part of the trail, near the Deal trailhead. This fearsome beast is.....



Nola the trail cat! Be careful.... she likes to lure people in by asking to have her belly rubbed. And then she'll scratch you when she gets tired of it.

 
Old 06-21-11, 07:35 AM
  #7  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 31,038
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13745 Post(s)
Liked 6,623 Times in 3,360 Posts
Originally Posted by Neil_B View Post
There is one creature on the GAP you should beware. It haunts, and hunts, on the highest part of the trail, near the Deal trailhead. This fearsome beast is.....



Nola the trail cat! Be careful.... she likes to lure people in by asking to have her belly rubbed. And then she'll scratch you when she gets tired of it.

Funny...and so cute, but I am sure those claws can be quite painful. We met a wonderful camp kitty in Eureka, MT a few years ago. Wanted to take her with us.
indyfabz is offline  
Old 06-21-11, 08:32 AM
  #8  
njkayaker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 12,479
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2828 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 366 Posts
Pea fowl (really, but not a concern).

One person we were riding with ran into a beaver (not recommended).
njkayaker is offline  
Old 06-21-11, 08:43 AM
  #9  
charly17201
Senior Member
 
charly17201's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 582

Bikes: RANS Formula LE, Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker View Post
If you are lucky you will see a black bear or two. Keep your eyes down to the river along the shore. You will see lots of deer. Plenty rabbits and ground hogs.

Lots of cranes and turtles along the C&O.

Camping, raccoons and skunks will be the only real issue.
Until I saw it was Spinnacker, I thought someone was stealing my turtle pictures (I think he lives on the trail or something as much as he knows about it) - and there were a ton of turtles to be seen, and bigger than most I've seen at zoos.

Spinnacker has it nailed on the wildlife (left out the foxes though). Although it was earlier and cooler (early May) I did not even see a snake of any kind. Also never had any problems with the racoons, but they are there and will be out and about so protect your food supply.
charly17201 is offline  
Old 06-21-11, 10:09 AM
  #10  
pardonme
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw a bear when I was getting back on the trail from WMRT paved section when I did it a few weeks ago. I decided to keep going to the next hiker biker site a few miles down after I saw that.
pardonme is offline  
Old 06-21-11, 05:03 PM
  #11  
spinnaker
Every day a winding road
 
spinnaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 6,539

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3392 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Carpe Diabolus View Post
Good luck seeing a crane on the ride. You're much more likely to see Herons: Great Blue Heron (pictured above), Green Heron and Night Heron (both yellow crowned and black crowned). If you're at the river side at dusk you can watch the "changing of the guard" as the Great Blue Herons will be flying back to their nest and the Night Heron will be waking up.
Crane, heron. One of them birds with he long skinny legs.
spinnaker is offline  
Old 06-21-11, 05:12 PM
  #12  
spinnaker
Every day a winding road
 
spinnaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 6,539

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3392 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by KateE View Post
Thanks for the info...loved the picture of the turtles! I think I was most concerned with bears and wondering if I should take a bear proof device for all the smelly stuff I will be taking along. When car camping, raccoons and skunks are easy to deal with because you can just lock it all in the car. I suppose the bear proof device would be overkill for the raccoons and skunks but it certainly would work.

I am headed to Pittsburgh next Wednesday. Our original plan was to start in McKeesport. Last night I read about the new trail opening up and the difficulty of the one road leading to McKeesport. ...so I am interested in learning more. Let me confirm my itinerary and get back with questions.

We may be staying in Pittsburgh on the way back, but not confirmed yet. You know...it all depends on timing and when we leave DC that day.
I really would not worry about bears on the trail. They are rare and mostly stay clear of the trail from what I understand.

If you are driving in, I would suggest the Yough Shore Inn for the first night in Boston. You can take a room for $60 +$20 for the extra person or camp in her back yard. Either way it includes breakfast and showers.

Or you can stay at Dravo. Free camping and a really nice site but no showers and a pit toilet (in a really nice concrete structure ).

You can park here if you want. It will be 35 miles to Mckeesport through the city or 63 by way of the Montour. But it sounds like you might have a sag for the whole trip? A Wednesday arrival will make it difficult if not impossible for my tour guide services but maybe on the way back.
spinnaker is offline  
Old 06-21-11, 05:14 PM
  #13  
spinnaker
Every day a winding road
 
spinnaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 6,539

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3392 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by charly17201 View Post
Until I saw it was Spinnacker, I thought someone was stealing my turtle pictures (I think he lives on the trail or something as much as he knows about it) - and there were a ton of turtles to be seen, and bigger than most I've seen at zoos.

Spinnacker has it nailed on the wildlife (left out the foxes though). Although it was earlier and cooler (early May) I did not even see a snake of any kind. Also never had any problems with the racoons, but they are there and will be out and about so protect your food supply.
Those pics are from the Great Falls area on the C&O. I have often described the area as like a zoo. Aside from a zoo, I don't think I have seen so many animals in the same place.
spinnaker is offline  
Old 06-21-11, 08:15 PM
  #14  
KateE
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 7

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Comp; Specialized Mtn bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Everyone! I got so far as to walk into the local outfitting store in Indy driven by my fear of bears and staying up all night scaring off raccoons to purchase a bear keg. I decided against it after reading some posts and talking with the young man in the store who has ridden the CO trail a few years back. So! no bear keg for me...room for the other keg now!

I am pretty excited about this trip, thanks for all the helpful advice.
KateE is offline  
Old 06-21-11, 08:17 PM
  #15  
KateE
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 7

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Comp; Specialized Mtn bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We are leaving our car in McKeesport or where ever we start, riding one way and then renting a car to come back. Do you have any info on good places to park in McKeesport? Is parking at the Yough Shore Inn for the week an option?
KateE is offline  
Old 06-21-11, 09:18 PM
  #16  
spinnaker
Every day a winding road
 
spinnaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 6,539

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3392 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by KateE View Post
We are leaving our car in McKeesport or where ever we start, riding one way and then renting a car to come back. Do you have any info on good places to park in McKeesport? Is parking at the Yough Shore Inn for the week an option?

The only place I would park is at the Yough Shore Inn. There is free parking nearby at the trail head but Boston is only a short distance from Mckeesport. Not the highest crime area in the world but not exactly safe. I would not park in Mckeesport at all.

I can't remember if Lin charges guests for parking long term or not. But either way it is a small fee and worth the piece of mind. Lin lives right next door and can keep an eye on it. Not that anyone would touch it anyway.

If you decide to stay let me know and I will PM you my real name. Lin likes to know when I send people our way. If the weather is good, I will be down there on Sunday. I have been telling her she should get a bike pump. She is a really nice lady but does not know much about bicycles. I figured I would just get her one and drop it off for folks that start the trail there.
spinnaker is offline  
Old 06-22-11, 01:00 PM
  #17  
KateE
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 7

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Comp; Specialized Mtn bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker View Post
The only place I would park is at the Yough Shore Inn. There is free parking nearby at the trail head but Boston is only a short distance from Mckeesport. Not the highest crime area in the world but not exactly safe. I would not park in Mckeesport at all.

I can't remember if Lin charges guests for parking long term or not. But either way it is a small fee and worth the piece of mind. Lin lives right next door and can keep an eye on it. Not that anyone would touch it anyway.

If you decide to stay let me know and I will PM you my real name. Lin likes to know when I send people our way. If the weather is good, I will be down there on Sunday. I have been telling her she should get a bike pump. She is a really nice lady but does not know much about bicycles. I figured I would just get her one and drop it off for folks that start the trail there.
Great. We will park at the Yough Shore Inn and would be happy to pay a fee for safe parking. That's a nice gesture to offer the bike pump. Thanks for the input, much appreciated!
KateE is offline  
Old 06-22-11, 04:09 PM
  #18  
spinnaker
Every day a winding road
 
spinnaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 6,539

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3392 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by KateE View Post
Great. We will park at the Yough Shore Inn and would be happy to pay a fee for safe parking. That's a nice gesture to offer the bike pump. Thanks for the input, much appreciated!
If you happen to arrive back on a Sunday afternoon / night, Boston has a pig and lamb roast. Another reason I am headed down there on Sunday.
spinnaker is offline  
Old 06-23-11, 04:04 AM
  #19  
tombilcze
Senior Member
 
tombilcze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mount Vernon, Ohio
Posts: 78

Bikes: 2009 Suly Long Haul Trucker, 2010 Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll be on the trail starting this Saturday morning. We'll be starting at The Waterfront in Pittsburgh with Rivers Edge near Connellsville as out first destination. -- Tom
tombilcze is offline  
Old 06-23-11, 05:22 AM
  #20  
charly17201
Senior Member
 
charly17201's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 582

Bikes: RANS Formula LE, Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Be sure and call Linn before you arrive. She isn't always the easiest to get a hold of, but a really nice person. She does also have events there so parking can get limited.
charly17201 is offline  
Old 06-23-11, 06:04 AM
  #21  
Spokie
Senior Member
 
Spokie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 62

Bikes: Bianchi Axis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
KateE,
Spinnaker recommended that we stop and visit the Yough Shore Inn also. We did stop there, and loved it, but didn't stay. He is very knowledgable about that area, as well as helpful and friendly. If you get the chance to meet up with him, you will enjoy his company and stories of his touring experiences. My companion and I were fortunate enough to meet him and I was fortunate enough to get to see his touring photos. Excellent stuff......
Spokie is offline  
Old 06-23-11, 07:20 AM
  #22  
KateE
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 7

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Comp; Specialized Mtn bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spinnaker - i'm too much of a noob to PM back. need 50 posts and i'm not there yet.
KateE is offline  
Old 06-23-11, 08:02 AM
  #23  
Altair 4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Along the Rivers of Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,145

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by tombilcze View Post
I'll be on the trail starting this Saturday morning. We'll be starting at The Waterfront in Pittsburgh with Rivers Edge near Connellsville as out first destination. -- Tom
Good luck with your ride, Tom! Hope the weather holds for you.
Altair 4 is offline  
Old 06-23-11, 03:03 PM
  #24  
colinmonty
Junior Member
 
colinmonty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: South Lyon, MI
Posts: 21

Bikes: 2011 Salsa Fargo, 1999 Trek 7500, 2002 Giant Rincon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Snakes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3671.jpg (105.5 KB, 6 views)
colinmonty is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Juan Foote
Southeast
10
06-05-16 09:40 AM
CrazyLemurBoy
Touring
14
06-18-14 09:51 AM
manunderstress
Great Lakes
3
05-13-13 08:20 AM
mvanderk
Southeast
9
02-10-11 06:58 AM
mvanderk
Touring
0
02-03-11 03:17 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.