Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

User Tag List

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-16-11, 07:16 PM   #1
Mirror slap survivor
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Sunny Florida
Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Surly Pacer, Access MTB, Ibex Corrida, one day a Simple City
Posts: 1,297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Long term travel insurance policy for USA resident?

I've been doing some online research about travel insurance. I'm considering hitting the road on an open-ended USA tour, and I think purchasing a travel insurance policy would be a good idea. However, it seems like most of the insurers are either overseas or are more concerned with reimbursement for hotel deposits and plane tickets.

I would need a policy that basically provided medical coverage, and covered bike/gear theft or loss(I have a feeling the latter is going to be difficult or impossible to find).

Any ideas?
Schwinnrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-11, 02:55 PM   #2
Life is a fun ride
safariofthemind's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 643
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Check these out. US offerings are slim (IMO) but UK companies are good, and insure Americans.
safariofthemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-11, 04:33 PM   #3
Senior Member
Spudd's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Bikes: Norco VFR D3, CCM Cruiser
Posts: 257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you're American and will be touring in the US, do you need a travel insurance policy or just a regular one?
Spudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-11, 05:51 PM   #4
fietsbob's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 8
Posts: 29,140
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3196 Post(s)
Probably need the Health insurance premiums paid ,
not that the insurance company
wont deny coverage when you need it most ,
after all They are in it for Them And shareholders dividends,
not you.
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-11, 06:43 AM   #5
Professional Fuss-Budget
Bacciagalupe's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Contact them and grill them on the plans they offer, and how they would apply to your situation.

If you want health insurance, then yeah, you really ought to get health insurance. You're not going to get a better deal on medical coverage just because you're buying a travel insurance plan.

I don't think it's worth insuring a bicycle; theft is rare, and a replacement shouldn't cost that much anyway. If you're paranoid about your gear, you may want to get a trailer, put everything into a single bag, and carry the bag with you when you go into restaurants.
Bacciagalupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-11, 01:23 PM   #6
Philly Tandem
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: SE Penna., USA
Bikes: Santana Cabrio triplet, Santana Fusion S&S tandem, Co-Motion Pangea S&S, Co-Motion Nor'wester S&S, Santa Cruz Blur XC, Ellsworth Ephiphany Carbon, Niner EMD9, old-school C'dale F2000
Posts: 1,008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
For medical insurance, look for a "major medical" policy only, which tend to be pretty reasonable and are usually available for up to 12 months +/-. They only cover catastrophic sort of things, like ER visits and the like.

Many renter's insurance policies can be continued for a period without having a physical residence. Usually they will pay a percentage of the overall coverage for things outside a residence. So, for example, if you have $100k worth of coverage, that might equate with $10-15k of coverage outside the residence. If you currently have a house or apartment, you might consider signing up for that insurance now before you move.

We used both these options in the past when we did long-term travel (by car). The renter's insurance also covered stuff we had in storage.
Philly Tandem is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:33 PM.

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to and affiliated sites.
  • Ask a Question
    get answers from real people!
Click to start entering your question.