Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

First mini tour..

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

First mini tour..

Old 09-19-11, 05:23 PM
  #1  
Atadloco
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New Hampshire USA
Posts: 10

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Pugsly, Kona Unit 2-9 (Single speed), Kona hei hei Deluxe 29er, Motobecane Phantom Cross, Trek Madone and a very old Schwinn..

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First mini tour..

I bought a Surly LHT frame and finished building it up a few weeks ago. Leaving Wednesday morning from southern New Hampshire and heading to Burlington, VT for the annual EMS Nor'easter festival, should be arriving Friday night. First day will be about 80 miles, second day will be about the same and the third day will be 60 to 70..

Got my tent, sleeping bag, Advil and everything else packed up and ready to go, should be a fun trip. Anyone else heading up to Burlington for the festival?

Enjoy!!
Atadloco is offline  
Old 09-19-11, 09:30 PM
  #2  
zzOtherlandzz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Near Palatka Florida
Posts: 1,246

Bikes: 2011 Rocky Mountain Vertex 29'r, 2007 Trek 1500 -- 2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara -- 2006 Gary Fisher Tassajara Disc (converted to touring bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good luck and have fun on your first tour...... Let us know how it went when you get back....
zzOtherlandzz is offline  
Old 09-20-11, 05:41 AM
  #3  
Gotte
Senior Member
 
Gotte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,334
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hope it goes well. There's nothing like your first tour. Enjoy, and get back to us with the details.
Gotte is offline  
Old 09-20-11, 05:49 AM
  #4  
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas
 
10 Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In The Wind
Posts: 31,630

Bikes: 2010 Catrike Expedition, 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 893 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 168 Posts
Have fun and take some pics to share.
__________________
Fred "The Real Fred"

10 Wheels is online now  
Old 09-20-11, 11:33 AM
  #5  
Atadloco
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New Hampshire USA
Posts: 10

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Pugsly, Kona Unit 2-9 (Single speed), Kona hei hei Deluxe 29er, Motobecane Phantom Cross, Trek Madone and a very old Schwinn..

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The weather reports are all saying it is going to be a wet one. Rain starting Wednesday night (sleeping in a tent), continuing through the day and night and next day as well.... I may have to puss out and go next week....
Atadloco is offline  
Old 09-20-11, 12:55 PM
  #6  
zzOtherlandzz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Near Palatka Florida
Posts: 1,246

Bikes: 2011 Rocky Mountain Vertex 29'r, 2007 Trek 1500 -- 2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara -- 2006 Gary Fisher Tassajara Disc (converted to touring bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Atadloco View Post
The weather reports are all saying it is going to be a wet one. Rain starting Wednesday night (sleeping in a tent), continuing through the day and night and next day as well.... I may have to puss out and go next week....
I'm with you there.... I'm kind of holding out for the love bugs to leave and looking for a stretch of nice weather before heading out on my first tour (mini tour 3 night 4 day big circle ride). Luckily I have a bit of flexibility as for when I want to leave.

Good luck!
zzOtherlandzz is offline  
Old 09-21-11, 01:18 PM
  #7  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 29,229
Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12766 Post(s)
Liked 5,060 Times in 2,606 Posts
Originally Posted by Atadloco View Post
The weather reports are all saying it is going to be a wet one. Rain starting Wednesday night (sleeping in a tent), continuing through the day and night and next day as well.... I may have to puss out and go next week....
Huh? Weather Undeground is saying, at best, 50% chance of showers through Friday. None Saturday and only 30% chance on Sunday. 40% on Monday and 30% on Tuesday. Showers does not = all day, steady rain.
indyfabz is offline  
Old 09-21-11, 05:23 PM
  #8  
bradtx
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pearland, Texas
Posts: 7,576

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Huh? Weather Undeground is saying, at best, 50% chance of showers through Friday. None Saturday and only 30% chance on Sunday. 40% on Monday and 30% on Tuesday. Showers does not = all day, steady rain.
I like that wunderground alot. With the drought we've had here I think I'd skip mounting the fenders and have at it like a little kid.

Brad
bradtx is offline  
Old 09-22-11, 12:02 PM
  #9  
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider
 
gpsblake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 2,045
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Atadloco View Post
I may have to puss out and go next week....
I got two thoughts bout this. One, if you are really going to go on an extended tour, you'll going to have to ride in the rain, wind, and other crappy conditions. Might as well do it now. Doing this in the rain will allow you to tweak your equipment and know exactly what you are getting into when you go on an extended tour.

The other thought is, touring is supposed to be fun and you won't have a lot of fun in the rain. But unlike what this forum claims, touring isn't all fun, It's a trade off.
gpsblake is offline  
Old 09-22-11, 06:47 PM
  #10  
Atadloco
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New Hampshire USA
Posts: 10

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Pugsly, Kona Unit 2-9 (Single speed), Kona hei hei Deluxe 29er, Motobecane Phantom Cross, Trek Madone and a very old Schwinn..

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So.... My first mini tour turned into a mini mini tour. I left early Wednesday morning on my fully loaded LHT complete with 40lbs of gear (I need new and lighter gear). This was my first ride on the bike while it was fully loaded, I have about 200 miles from just riding it after work. Yesterday I ended up riding 85 miles and the bike performed awesome.

I built the bike over the course of a few months, gathering information and asking many questions about various parts and configurations. I went with a SRAM triple mountain bike gears for the front which helped on the vast amount of hills I rode in central New Hampshire and Vermont. The Brooks B67 saddle is getting closer to be broken in, but still has a ways to go.

I made it to Ascutney, VT and stayed at the State park for the night. Wednesday was a beautiful fall day with a few white puffy clouds and lots of sun with temps in the low seventies. Referring back to my earlier comment that I will at some point need new gear leads me to 3:00AM Thursday morning when the what seemed to be torrential wrath of god type rain coming down onto my 15 year old tent with a less than waterproof rain cover.

I stayed in my damp sleeping bag until 7:00 or so until the point I decided to pack up and get back on the road. I decided it was best to ride back to NH instead of onto Burlington where I would be in a damp sleeping bag and damper tent for the next night.

So today's ride was wet and warm. Rained pretty much the entire day for the trek southward. Part of my purchase was LonePeak panniers that come with road sign crossing green for a rain cover which worked well in these conditions for both being seen by traffic and also kept my dry stuff dry and my damp stuff,,, well still damp. But not soaked. I also bought Ortlieb panniers for the front and those worked just as well without a rain cover.

So my first mini mini tour was a 165 mile round trip whichnwas a lot of fun even in the rain. I'm glad I went and very much looking forward to my week long trip next year..
Atadloco is offline  
Old 09-22-11, 09:25 PM
  #11  
Doug64
Senior Member
 
Doug64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Oregon
Posts: 6,045
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 223 Posts
Good Job!

You answered the crucial question, "would you do it again"? It sounds like you are looking forward to the next time. That is a good sign. Someone should have warned you that bike touring is addictive.

When I asked a couple of young men if they enjoyed their 2 week tour of Iceland; one of them summed up most bicyle tours pretty well-- "some of it was enjoyable and some of it is really memorable".
Doug64 is offline  
Old 09-23-11, 07:15 PM
  #12  
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider
 
gpsblake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 2,045
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Excellent! You learn a lot of things by mini-tours especially in less then ideal conditions. Best wishes.
gpsblake is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
BikeArkansas
Fifty Plus (50+)
45
02-17-17 08:34 AM
Jetto245
Touring
3
10-29-16 11:23 AM
bent4me
Touring
0
03-16-14 07:11 AM
dcrowell
Touring
4
06-24-10 08:27 AM
Wiggles_dad
Touring
1
05-27-10 11:28 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.