Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Vittoria Randonneur Pro VS Continental Touring Plus

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Vittoria Randonneur Pro VS Continental Touring Plus

Old 06-27-13, 03:45 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vittoria Randonneur Pro VS Continental Touring Plus

Hi,
The past few days I have been trying to decide upon good touring tires 700*37C or 38C

And Finally shortlisted to Vittoria Randonneur Pro VS Continental Touring Plus. Which is the best among these??

My requirements are Better Puncture Protection and low rolling resistance and reasonable weight.

I will mostly be riding asphalt and sometimes muddy roads

Hope you will be able to help me get the best.

Thanks in advance,

senthiil@yahoo.com
Senthiil is offline  
Old 06-29-13, 03:23 AM
  #2  
Junior Member
 
urbanescapee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, UT, USA
Posts: 198

Bikes: 2011 Raleigh Sojourn, 2012 Marin Four Corners, 2013 Soma Saga, 2014 Scott Spark 940, 2017 Brompton H6E, 2016 Trek FX 7.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have the Randonneur Pros on my touring bike/do-it-all bike. The came stock on my bike. As far as longevity and puncture resistance goes, I am very happy with them. On a daily basis I ride over so much broken glass and little bits of sharp metal...it's hard to avoid in a major city. But I have yet to suffer a flat in one whole year of riding about 2000 miles. The year before that I rode the same mileage on the Randonneur Cross (same puncture protection, more aggressive tread) and also had no flats. I have no experience with the Continentals but by looking at images, they'd probably drag just slightly more than the Rando Pros, but then again the tread being slightly more aggressive looking tread would be a little better suited for those muddy roads you're talking about.
urbanescapee is offline  
Old 06-29-13, 03:38 AM
  #3  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you.. U R suggestion came at a important time... How is the rolling resistance of Randonneur Pro??
Senthiil is offline  
Old 06-29-13, 04:59 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Cyclebum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NE Tx
Posts: 2,766

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just looking at the specs, I'd go with Vittoria for rolling resistance as they are much lighter, Continental for puncture protect, which they loudly brey about.

My experience with a variety of tire brands/models is that none will resist shedded tire wires, the only thing that's ever caused a flat for me. Based on that, I'd chose the lighter tire.
Cyclebum is offline  
Old 06-29-13, 08:45 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,428

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've used the Vittoria Randonneur Pro and Hyper and like both. The Pro rolls almost as quickly as the lightweight Hyper and provides better flat protection, in my experience. After having a Continental Gatorskin separate from the bead and leave me stranded then seen another Continental tire threatening to do the same thing, I'm not eager to use Continental tires on my long-distance touring bike.
sstorkel is offline  
Old 06-29-13, 12:15 PM
  #6  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,598

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Re Rolling Resistance.. irregardless of Brand , keeping the PSI topped up
is notable when it is not maintained .. and you have a Touring Load aboard.

Tire creep around the Rim, can shear off innertube stems if let drop too far ..
fietsbob is offline  
Old 06-29-13, 10:45 PM
  #7  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you, Looks like I should go for the Randonneur PRO
Senthiil is offline  
Old 06-29-13, 10:47 PM
  #8  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sstorkel
I've used the Vittoria Randonneur Pro and Hyper and like both. The Pro rolls almost as quickly as the lightweight Hyper and provides better flat protection, in my experience. After having a Continental Gatorskin separate from the bead and leave me stranded then seen another Continental tire threatening to do the same thing, I'm not eager to use Continental tires on my long-distance touring bike.

That is one whole lot of a nasty thing to be stranded on the road... As of now Vittoria is on the upper hands... Thanks for the help!!
Senthiil is offline  
Old 06-29-13, 10:57 PM
  #9  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
fietsbob , sstorkel , urbanescapee, Cyclebum I was suprised to see this tire.

https://goo.gl/CQjQZ

It offers low rolling resistance yet high puncture protection and some how it is SO LIGHT.... Any opinions on it??? It would be valuable for me. thanks
Senthiil is offline  
Old 06-29-13, 11:27 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,428

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Senthiil
It offers low rolling resistance yet high puncture protection and some how it is SO LIGHT.... Any opinions on it??? It would be valuable for me. thanks
Sounds exactly like the description that Vittoria provides for the Randonneur Hyper (now called the Voyager Hyper, I believe). I haven't tried the Marathon Supreme (because they're expensive and my usual vendors never have them in stock). I've used both the Randonneur Hyper and the Randonneur Pro. Without a gram scale, you won't be able to tell the difference between the two... except by the frequency of flats.
sstorkel is offline  
Old 06-29-13, 11:34 PM
  #11  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sstorkel
Sounds exactly like the description that Vittoria provides for the Randonneur Hyper (now called the Voyager Hyper, I believe). I haven't tried the Marathon Supreme (because they're expensive and my usual vendors never have them in stock). I've used both the Randonneur Hyper and the Randonneur Pro. Without a gram scale, you won't be able to tell the difference between the two... except by the frequency of flats.
So from previous comments and experiences It looks like I will go for the Randonneur PRO .. they are more affordable than the Schawble
Senthiil is offline  
Old 07-02-13, 07:29 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Medic Zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Vancouver,Washington
Posts: 2,280

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
.


I've found the Vittoria Rando Pros to be great tires. Decently stiff sidewall for my Clyde self and heavy loads, excellent flat protection (I used to get flats ALL the time, now almost never) and not too heavy. They've done fine for me on gravel and they're great on asphalt. I run one on the rear of my commuter and fore and aft on my tourer. I also mounted one on the rear of my girlfriends city bike. I bought my first ones on the suggestion of a mechanic friend of mine, he said he was getting about 5,000 miles out of his. I haven't worn one out honestly yet. We won't talk about the new one I killed with maladjusted brake pads!
Medic Zero is offline  
Old 07-02-13, 07:54 AM
  #13  
aka Phil Jungels
 
Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Aurora, IL
Posts: 8,234

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I have the Schwalbe Marathon Supremes, and absolutely love them. They have been buulletproof, roll well, and are durable. They are completely neutral when riding, as the "tread" wraps all the way around the tire. The reflex sidewall is impressively bright.

I've got two more sets in the basement, for when I need replacements....

But, boy, are they expensive................... (I buy them whenever I find a good sale at Niagara)

p.s. I have a 35 on the front for improved handling and quicker steering, and a 40 on the rear for addl load capacity and smoother ride.
Wanderer is offline  
Old 07-03-13, 03:05 PM
  #14  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thankyou Bro for your Suggestion
Senthiil is offline  
Old 07-03-13, 03:06 PM
  #15  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer
I have the Schwalbe Marathon Supremes, and absolutely love them. They have been buulletproof, roll well, and are durable. They are completely neutral when riding, as the "tread" wraps all the way around the tire. The reflex sidewall is impressively bright.

I've got two more sets in the basement, for when I need replacements....

But, boy, are they expensive................... (I buy them whenever I find a good sale at Niagara)

p.s. I have a 35 on the front for improved handling and quicker steering, and a 40 on the rear for addl load capacity and smoother ride.
Thankyou Bro...
Senthiil is offline  
Old 07-05-13, 08:31 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: northern Deep South
Posts: 8,895

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
I had a Vittoria Randonneur (back before they started calling it "Pro") break on me -- one of the internal wires broke and shredded four tubes before I found the problem. Its replacement, same model, wore out after 2,000 miles. The Specialized Armadillo I replaced that one with lasted 4,700, but I haven't been able to find another one in my home town. I won't buy another Vittoria for a while (until I get mad at all the other manufacturers, I guess).

The Continentals I've had wore like iron, but some were finicky to get off the rim when they flatted. (Nothing is really flat-proof.)

At some point you just have to pick one and ride it for a while. If you get one that's supposed to be flat resistant, it may reduce (not eliminate) flats, but it'll have slightly higher rolling resistance and feel sluggish. (Then again, putting a load on a bike makes it have higher rolling resistance and feel sluggish.) If you change the tire before it needs it, you'll have minimal problems and sing the praises of that model, which will be superseded by a newer model next year. If you ride it too long, you'll have problems and it'll be a dog.

The exception is tires that have quality control issues. Some manufacturers have higher rates than others. Every Panaracer I've bought in the last few years has had one, for example. (Now I'm madder at Panaracer than Vittoria.) I suppose you could take along a receipt and try to get a tire replaced under warranty, but (a) that's a lot of luggage when you multiply a few grams by the number of parts on your bike, and (b) Murphy's Law says there won't be a dealer for whichever brand you pick nearby if you do have problems.
pdlamb is offline  
Old 07-05-13, 12:10 PM
  #17  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I had a Vittoria Randonneur (back before they started calling it "Pro") break on me -- one of the internal wires broke and shredded four tubes before I found the problem. Its replacement, same model, wore out after 2,000 miles. The Specialized Armadillo I replaced that one with lasted 4,700, but I haven't been able to find another one in my home town. I won't buy another Vittoria for a while (until I get mad at all the other manufacturers, I guess).

The Continentals I've had wore like iron, but some were finicky to get off the rim when they flatted. (Nothing is really flat-proof.)

At some point you just have to pick one and ride it for a while. If you get one that's supposed to be flat resistant, it may reduce (not eliminate) flats, but it'll have slightly higher rolling resistance and feel sluggish. (Then again, putting a load on a bike makes it have higher rolling resistance and feel sluggish.) If you change the tire before it needs it, you'll have minimal problems and sing the praises of that model, which will be superseded by a newer model next year. If you ride it too long, you'll have problems and it'll be a dog.

The exception is tires that have quality control issues. Some manufacturers have higher rates than others. Every Panaracer I've bought in the last few years has had one, for example. (Now I'm madder at Panaracer than Vittoria.) I suppose you could take along a receipt and try to get a tire replaced under warranty, but (a) that's a lot of luggage when you multiply a few grams by the number of parts on your bike, and (b) Murphy's Law says there won't be a dealer for whichever brand you pick nearby if you do have problems.
Super Bro Thanks for u r suggestions . I agree with you, when problem arises dealers always try to get away from it ... Very few dealers are concerned about the customers and I choose my dealers very carefully
Senthiil is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
jefnvk
General Cycling Discussion
18
08-27-17 12:36 AM
arod
Commuting
2
07-08-17 12:39 AM
MrCjolsen
Commuting
15
06-30-13 01:12 PM
nameless
Touring
9
02-11-12 04:08 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.