Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-13-18, 11:55 PM   #51
700wheel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: USA
Bikes:
Posts: 463
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikejock200M View Post
............ Could you tell me where you sourced it, LBS, mail order etc?. I have some concerns about not dealing face to face with someone ,would rather see what I am getting. I have dealt with small local shops in the past, they appreciate the Big ticket item sales.
..........................
You can locate dealers on the Fuji website. There are several in my area. The last time I was in Performance Bikes they had the Elite track bikes in stock.
700wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-18, 06:48 AM   #52
southernfox
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Charleston, SC
Bikes:
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikejock200M View Post
Hey Southernfox, these look like a great frame. I am also interested in the Fuji Elite, 61cm too. Could you tell me where you sourced it, LBS, mail order etc?. I have some concerns about not dealing face to face with someone ,would rather see what I am getting. I have dealt with small local shops in the past, they appreciate the Big ticket item sales.
Good luck with ride, and where do race?
...Fuji offered me a sponsorship, so I get it direct from them at a discount.

For shops, find the local/regional Fuji dealer. It just so happens that my LBS who informally sponsors me is also the local Fuji dealer, but all the same, I deal with Fuji directly (via email, not by ordering through their site or anything).

I'm closest to Rock Hill (SC). But I race all over the US and Canada
southernfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-18, 06:51 AM   #53
southernfox
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Charleston, SC
Bikes:
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clythio View Post
I'm also 1,83cm = 6'0", 92kg, and have a Fuji Track Elite 56-L 560mm effective TopTube, never thought about fitting myself on a 61-XXL, 595mm effective TopTube lenght. Wondering why did you pick such a long frame..
Relatively long torso and an elite sprinter, so getting low and aero is important. I'm currently on a Dolan 58cm with a 130mm -27deg stem and STILL a little cramped.
southernfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-18, 06:52 AM   #54
southernfox
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Charleston, SC
Bikes:
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartankid View Post
the trend in sprint specific bike set ups is definitely longer/bigger than traditionally sized bikes, e.g. People in the 5'8"-5'10" range on bikes with 56-58 cm tts.
this
southernfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-18, 05:19 PM   #55
Clythio
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Bikes:
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernfox View Post
this
I can see particular cases, but "a trend" must have some extra reasons, besides being low and aero - those factors where always there.

Is there any additional factors like better handling/control and/or feeling safe for delivering full power, on high banked short straights "modern" tracks?
Clythio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-18, 06:12 PM   #56
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 14,540
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 719 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clythio View Post
I can see particular cases, but "a trend" must have some extra reasons, besides being low and aero - those factors where always there.

Is there any additional factors like better handling/control and/or feeling safe for delivering full power, on high banked short straights "modern" tracks?
One factor is the use of narrow handlebars.

When your extended arms are far apart, your back goes down. When you bring them together (as with narrow bars), your back goes up. To make your back go back down as before, you need to extend the narrow arms forward using a longer stem (which would adversely affect handling) or with a longer top tube.

We are talking centimeters and millimeters here, but bikes come in 2 and 1 cm increments for a reason.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-18, 06:42 PM   #57
southernfox
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Charleston, SC
Bikes:
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
One factor is the use of narrow handlebars.

When your extended arms are far apart, your back goes down. When you bring them together (as with narrow bars), your back goes up. To make your back go back down as before, you need to extend the narrow arms forward using a longer stem (which would adversely affect handling) or with a longer top tube.

We are talking centimeters and millimeters here, but bikes come in 2 and 1 cm increments for a reason.
Yep.

Also...people are getting better at being more aero, I think.
southernfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-18, 07:20 PM   #58
taras0000
Senior Member
 
taras0000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Edmonton, AB
Bikes:
Posts: 1,333
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernfox View Post
Yep.

Also...people are getting better at being more aero, I think.
It's not that they are getting better at it. Aero has become more important than pure/peak power, and equipment is changing to keep up with this.

It used to be that match sprints were always launched from a slow roll, and pure acceleration was how things were won. When you think of how to best position yourself for a standing start (Man 1 in the TS), it's going to be different than a position geared for top speed (Man 2/3 in the TS). Now sprints get launched from a much higher speed. You can thank Chris Hoy, Arnaud Tournant, and later, Theo Bos for that. Basically Kilo guys just started Kilo-ing their opponents in matches, and that's when things changed.

Sprints now are basically a drag race that starts at 40km/h. Spending more time at a higher speed, coupled with larger gears (which result in higher top speeds, and require more "roll" to get on top of) means one has to be conscious of how they are "burning their matches". Aero is more conducive to the tactics in play today.

Last edited by taras0000; 02-15-18 at 07:28 PM.
taras0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-18, 09:56 PM   #59
spartanKid
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Bikes:
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by taras0000 View Post
It's not that they are getting better at it.
I think some people *are* getting better at it, and this is by not just going with the lowest, coolest looking slammed stem/bars for sprints. Having slightly higher bars that let you bend your elbows when full gas is more aero than straighter, nearly locked out arms.
spartanKid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-18, 10:50 PM   #60
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 14,540
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 719 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernfox View Post
Relatively long torso and an elite sprinter, so getting low and aero is important. I'm currently on a Dolan 58cm with a 130mm -27deg stem and STILL a little cramped.
Have you done any time trials yet? Care to share some results?
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-18, 04:49 AM   #61
southernfox
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Charleston, SC
Bikes:
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
500m is my weakest event. Last timed effort was 38.0. Goal is outdoor 36.0 for June's racing at TTown.
southernfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-18, 10:49 AM   #62
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 14,540
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 719 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernfox View Post
500m is my weakest event. Last timed effort was 38.0. Goal is outdoor 36.0 for June's racing at TTown.
What's your best event and your time from it?
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-18, 01:24 PM   #63
southernfox
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Charleston, SC
Bikes:
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
What's your best event and your time from it?
Hard to say. I'm still really new to track racing. Best 200m time was 12.3 outside on a training day at Rock Hill. But since then my power curve looks a lot different. Almost hitting 1500w, and my FRC is 26kj.
southernfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-18, 01:41 PM   #64
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 14,540
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 719 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernfox View Post
Hard to say. I'm still really new to track racing. Best 200m time was 12.3 outside on a training day at Rock Hill. But since then my power curve looks a lot different. Almost hitting 1500w, and my FRC is 26kj.
So, I'm trying to put all of this together.

You mention a lot of credentials. You say that you are an elite racer, have sponsors, going to training camp, want to replace Monique Sullivan (Pan Am Champ, Olympian, etc...) this season, yet you don't have the wins, comp experience, times, watts/kg, etc... of an elite track racer.

This just isn't adding up.

Have you raced at all against other elite women?

It's one thing for your goal to be an elite racer, it's another thing to say that you are. It seems that that is your goal (and we are here to help everyone with their goals), but it seems that you haven't done much yet or paid any "dues" in the peloton.

It doesn't take a terribly long time for a talented racer to make it on the scene. But, some time must be spent in moving up the ladder.

I probably sound like an ass for writing that, but it's been on my mind for a while.

All we know about you is what you tell us. This is the portrait that you have painted.
carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-18, 01:43 PM   #65
southernfox
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Charleston, SC
Bikes:
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
So, I'm trying to put all of this together.

You mention a lot of credentials. You say that you are an elite racer, have sponsors, going to training camp, want to replace Monique Sullivan (Pan Am Champ, Olympian, etc...) this season, yet you don't have the wins, comp experience, times, watts/kg, etc... of an elite track racer.

This just isn't adding up.

Have you raced at all against other elite women?

It's one thing for your goal to be an elite racer, it's another thing to say that you are. It seems that that is your goal (and we are here to help everyone with their goals), but it seems that you haven't done much yet or paid any "dues" in the peloton.

It doesn't take a terribly long time for a talented racer to make it on the scene. But, some time must be spent in moving up the ladder.

I probably sound like an ass for writing that, but it's been on my mind for a while.

All we know about you is what you tell us. This is the portrait that you have painted.
That's cool. Believe what you want.

(Must be weird for me to have so many companies throwing gear at me if I'm no good...eh?)
southernfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-18, 02:27 PM   #66
ruudlaff
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Bikes:
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
I know of a guy in England who placed in a lower group than me in my first event who has sponsors coming from all over the place (and I have no real explanation for why, self promotion FTW? He has an athlete page on fb....). Doesn’t make him fast though.

Also, that doesn’t make me fast either lol. Realism sucks.
ruudlaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:31 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    get answers from real people!
Click to start entering your question.
I HAVE A QUESTION