Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area (https://www.bikeforums.net/track-cycling-velodrome-racing-training-area/)
-   -   2014 Weight Lifting!!!! (https://www.bikeforums.net/track-cycling-velodrome-racing-training-area/927942-2014-weight-lifting.html)

rkwaki 11-10-14 03:40 PM

Hey...
Can I come play in this forum?
Apparently my weight lifting experience matched to my Cat 1 license proves nothing...
:)

Hermes 11-10-14 04:11 PM

Can you barbecue outdoors? If yes enter, if no enter?

Minion1 11-11-14 05:23 AM


Originally Posted by Quinn8it (Post 17293676)
I think you can accomplish the same results.. I don't know much about RDL's- since I bought the GHD($$$) I'm committed to those. :0

i also do: Reverse Hypers- which seem to hit more low back/glute
Seated good mornings- low back/Ham
Band pull throughs- good hamstring stretch

Seated Good mornings? (insert confused emoticon)

Are they similar to box squats, I'm kinda struggling to see how they'd work. I've done good mornings in the past, and they seemed (to me) to rely on the stretch reflex of the hammies, which would be lessened by sitting? It might just have been that I was really inflexible and just needed to stretch more.

carleton 11-11-14 06:27 AM


Originally Posted by rkwaki (Post 17294242)
Hey...
Can I come play in this forum?
Apparently my weight lifting experience matched to my Cat 1 license proves nothing...
:)

Come on in, make yourself at home, and grab a drink...


Originally Posted by Minion1 (Post 17295730)
Seated Good mornings? (insert confused emoticon)

Yeah, that was new to me too. I had to google it:

Aleksey Lovchev (RUS)
http://www.allthingsgym.com/wp-conte...d-mornings.jpg


Quinn, is it easy to get into position? Seems awkward with heavy weights.

Owen21 11-11-14 08:15 AM

i do seated GM's off a bench press set up. A little squat to get it off, and back on. Pretty easy :) just dont go to far back and fall off the bench lol

carleton 11-11-14 01:57 PM

So, I lifted at Coffee's Gym today and Mr. Coffee was there. He offered me LOTS of tips. This guy has coached Olympians, so when he speaks, I say, "Yes, sir." and start moving.

He coached me for 2 hours and turned my program on its ear.

Watching him coach a young man and young woman was amazing and enlightening. The way he set reps and weight was by feel...or I guess him seeing how fast (or not fast) they moved the weights. From there he knew what they could handle. They totally pushed their limits for the day, and never missed a rep. Amazing.

Oh, and they did squats at the end of the workout...as a supplemental lift. Wow. That's blasphemy in some circles.

I joined the gym.

On the way out, one of the other coaches said to me, "You should compete as a Masters Powerlifter." with a straight face. Oh snap. Not sure wat do now.

Quinn8it 11-11-14 02:45 PM

Sounds awesome Carleton!

I highly recommend you check out Powerlifting!
its actually a great compliment to Track Sprinting. I tend to do a meet or two in the offseason, and it's a good motivator to really push the weights. I actually don't change my weight program at all from what I do for cycling- and I lift way more on meet week than most power lifters do- since I will be lifting and riding again the following Monday.

The Powerlifting community is far more supportive than the cycling community. Winning at a meet is not that important to most people. Most people go in to meets with single lift goals, total goals, hit all 9lifts, and some just want to get through it.
Ive seen gyms full of lifters and spectators go nuts supporting a lifter who was trying to hit a lift that was extreme for them, despite the fact that they were the last placed lifter of the class.

As For Masters Vs Elites... It doesn't really matter.
One year at The USAPL Ca State Championships I lost the Masters State title by a few pounds, with a total that would of won the Elite Title, if I had just paid the extra $20 to be scored in both... The guy that beat me in the Masters 40+ was 45yr old, so both of us were setting USAPL age group State Records along the way- since those are in 5yr blocks.

I suggest you just sign up for a meet- don't stress too much about how you will do. Don't stress about your weight class- just show up, open with your current 5-rep weights and play the rest by ear..

Its really a lot of fun

carleton 11-11-14 04:57 PM

Thanks, Quinn!

We'll see how it goes :D

Baby Puke 11-11-14 05:05 PM

Do it!!

Quinn8it 11-11-14 05:19 PM

Start here:
USAPL Georgia - USA Powerlifting Resources for Georgia

usapl is not the only Clean Federation, but it's likely the Strictest and therefor the cleanest...
USPA is another good fed.

look up some results in your age/weight class from meets in your area. I bet you find you are well inside what's being done.

slindell 11-11-14 05:28 PM


Originally Posted by carleton (Post 17297649)
Thanks, Quinn!

We'll see how it goes :D

There is at least one person who has won master national titles in powerlifting and sprints in the same year so it can work.

carleton 11-11-14 05:32 PM


Originally Posted by Baby Puke (Post 17297679)
Do it!!

Hahahaha!


Originally Posted by Quinn8it (Post 17297735)
Start here:
USAPL Georgia - USA Powerlifting Resources for Georgia

usapl is not the only Clean Federation, but it's likely the Strictest and therefor the cleanest...
USPA is another good fed.

look up some results in your age/weight class from meets in your area. I bet you find you are well inside what's being done.

I looked at the results from a regional event and you are right! I've hit some of those numbers before for sure. I'm getting excited about this.

gl98115 11-11-14 07:13 PM


Originally Posted by rkwaki (Post 17294242)
Apparently my weight lifting experience matched to my Cat 1 license proves nothing...

True. So true.

misterwaterfall 11-11-14 10:47 PM

Just looked up local meets on plwatch thanks to you lot. Likely won't do one anytime soon but they're on the radar.

Owen21 11-13-14 03:44 AM

Carleton, what the guy said at your gym is pretty exactly what i got taught in china and over here when i lifted to a more serious extent (wrist is injured so cant clean at the minute). Squats are supplemental as most people are far too strong for their technique so their energy and focus is best aimed towards the weightlifting movements. That said, in powerlifting, the squat is a main exercise as you know. So it depends which route you go down. Id say the squat was a main exercise for track cycling too. Looks like a nice gym, has it got a leg press lol?

Owen21 11-13-14 05:26 AM

Also. Could anyone be so kind as to help me with a training programme (weight training)? Im confident in the gym and do all the usual exercises but struggle to construct a programme

carleton 11-13-14 06:59 AM


Originally Posted by Owen21 (Post 17302421)
Carleton, what the guy said at your gym is pretty exactly what i got taught in china and over here when i lifted to a more serious extent (wrist is injured so cant clean at the minute). Squats are supplemental as most people are far too strong for their technique so their energy and focus is best aimed towards the weightlifting movements. That said, in powerlifting, the squat is a main exercise as you know. So it depends which route you go down. Id say the squat was a main exercise for track cycling too. Looks like a nice gym, has it got a leg press lol?

Hahaha. Yes, there is a leg press machine, too!.


Originally Posted by Owen21 (Post 17302462)
Also. Could anyone be so kind as to help me with a training programme (weight training)? Im confident in the gym and do all the usual exercises but struggle to construct a programme

Asking for programming is a tough one. That is asking for coaching.

Owen21 11-13-14 07:50 AM


Originally Posted by carleton (Post 17302542)
Hahaha. Yes, there is a leg press machine, too!.



Asking for programming is a tough one. That is asking for coaching.

Good :D

yeah you are right. I'll persevere :)

carleton 11-13-14 08:05 AM


Originally Posted by Owen21 (Post 17302644)
Good :D

yeah you are right. I'll persevere :)

In the absence of a dedicated coach, any weight training program for athletes that focuses on legs (i.e. Athletics* Sprinter) will benefit you! The reason why there isn't a "perfect weight training program for trackies" is because no such thing exists. Just get strong and not-too-fat and you will be in good shape to race :D


*Athletics = Track & Field

bmontgomery87 11-13-14 10:48 AM


Originally Posted by Quinn8it (Post 17297221)

The Powerlifting community is far more supportive than the cycling community. Winning at a meet is not that important to most people. Most people go in to meets with single lift goals, total goals, hit all 9lifts, and some just want to get through it.
Ive seen gyms full of lifters and spectators go nuts supporting a lifter who was trying to hit a lift that was extreme for them, despite the fact that they were the last placed lifter of the class.

+1

I had a blast when I did a PL meet a few years back. Getting back into heavy lifting and debating getting back on the platform.

Owen21 11-13-14 11:29 AM


Originally Posted by carleton (Post 17302680)
In the absence of a dedicated coach, any weight training program for athletes that focuses on legs (i.e. Athletics* Sprinter) will benefit you! The reason why there isn't a "perfect weight training program for trackies" is because no such thing exists. Just get strong and not-too-fat and you will be in good shape to race :D


*Athletics = Track & Field

Okay thanks :) my cycling coach said he'll go through my weight training with me on thursday. I just need something enjoyable that'll prevent me from squatting EVERY time i go to the gym lol :) i did jump squats and paused squats recently which were fun though. and i love leg press, and single leg squats on a smith machine.

I hate bulgarian split squats and lunges..are they necessary?! And need calves be trained?

Quinn8it 11-13-14 11:39 AM


Originally Posted by carleton (Post 17302542)
Asking for programming is a tough one. That is asking for coaching.

i totally agree that a program needs to be athlete specific-
but in the absence of a coach I would use the Beginner program from Starting Strength. While it may not be the perfect program, it has been used extensively by track racers and it's pretty well accepted that it is a good level of Volume and Intensity to promote Sprint progress without a big danger of overtraining when combined with a full load of bike work.

As Far as canned programs go its pretty good..

And as usual- we are bike racers, not PowerLifters... Ok- not all of us ;)

Velocirapture 11-14-14 06:48 AM

Anyone have experience with pre-workout supplements, specifically those containing NO? either for weight training or for on the bike track training? And if so, what comments on the good, the bad and the ugly?? thanks

VanceMac 11-14-14 09:45 AM

Found this article very interesting. And I interpreted it, perhaps with a bit of confirmation bias, as further support for Texas Method type variation.
"Here are the three things that I hope you get from this article:
  1. Lifting sub maximal weights is the best way to build strength without the eventual recovery that would be needed from attempts at one rep maximums.
  2. Use variability in intensity, but most importantly in volume.
  3. In a scientific approach to lifting, donít rely on how you feel. Stick to the plan."

carleton 11-14-14 11:05 AM

Get hyped.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:04 AM.