Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Vegans

Old 12-20-15, 12:33 PM
  #226  
dim
Senior Member
 
dim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Cambridge UK
Posts: 1,704

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
I'm a landscaper/ gardener....

at home, I grow my own veg (non gmo) ... no pesticides except for snail bait, and I grow using high brix methods (nutrient dense)

veg that I cannot grow out of season, and have to buy is normally organic ... same for things like bananas etc .... organic all the way

I'm not vegan, but I will be going on a health kick from the 2nd of Jan, and will include loads of fresh veg and fruit and will get a Nutribullet juicer thingy .... you have to add a bit of water to the mix, and I will use bottled water

as for fish, Fukushima is still spewing radiation, and I have stopped eating fish (especially fish such as Tuna) ... I used to eat fresh fish at least twice a week

used to drink green tea, but have stopped that aswell, due to Fukushima .... I still enjoy meat and chicken, but will cut down on that and only buy organic if and when I can afford to (same for eggs)

maybe I'm paranoid, but thats just me
dim is offline  
Old 12-20-15, 05:26 PM
  #227  
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling
 
Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 18,661

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3479 Post(s)
Liked 1,469 Times in 1,068 Posts
I see a number of people on this thread attempting to conflate the vegan fad diet with the low-fat fad diet, even though there's no philosophical or physical link conjoining these two diets. One of my favorite afternoon snacks is a jigger of olive oil, followed by an ounce of nuts, usually walnuts. While dietary authorities recommend limiting dietary saturated fat to less than 7%, there is such recommendation for total dietary fat. In fact,
The results of prospective epidemiologic studies have in general suggested relations between specific types of fat and risk of coronary heart disease (CHD), but no relation with total fat.
If you look around at dietary recommendations for endurance athletes (which hopefully is the set of people reading this), while there are many studies and recommendations for a high fat diet, there are no recommendations for endurance athletes to eat less than 10% fat. Most recommendations run from 20%-30% fat, which is easily attained with a vegan diet. Just wanting to make that clear.

Here is a good article discussing dietary fat for the endurance athlete:
Fats in the Endurance World | Ultrarunning Magazine
Note for the vegan:
Seeds and nuts are rich sources of EFAs. No one seed or nut gives an optimum ratio of omega-3 to omega-6. Flax is the richest source of omega-3, but a poor source of omega-6. Sunflower and sesame seeds contain omega-6 but no omega-3. A variety of seeds and nuts in your diet aid in obtaining both.
__________________
Results matter
Carbonfiberboy is offline  
Old 12-21-15, 04:03 AM
  #228  
GeorgeBMac
Senior Member
 
GeorgeBMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,061

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RomansFiveEight View Post
I'm not worried about GMO's. In fact, I think they're brilliant. And they've been going on for centuries. Good farmers have always cross-bred plants or taken care to get the biggest yields. Over centuries crops like corn were developed through cross-breeding. By the strictest definition ALL corn is a GMO. It is not naturally occurring, it exists because of human intervention, and would not exist without humans having 'created' it. Pesticides and the like, and antibiotics (the latter only being a concern, obviously, in meat) are certainly a concern. However a world in which plants yield more, are immune to disease, require less water; that's not a bad thing. We hear "genetically modified" and conjure up images of evil laboratories and spider-man, but it's really just a fancy way of doing more intelligently and more scientifically what farmers have ALWAYS done. Given natural selection and evolution a little 'nudge' to improve their 'product'. Heck, much of our meat that we eat is indeed that same process. Fat, fast growing, big and slow. Qualities bred by selecting the right candidates for breeding over many many many years. Same with most domestic animals really, from pets to farm animals.

I don't jump on the "chemicals are bad!!!" bandwagon. Chemicals are the basics of life. Our blood has formaldehyde and other scary words naturally that people try to scare other people out of eating certain foods by claiming it's in that particular food. So fear-mongering about GMO's or "chemicals in foods" is just junk science. I notice a lot of arguing about junk science on the meat eating crowd; which is warranted. But Vegans tend to share their fair share of utter B.S. as well. Nobody is immune to confirmation bias.

One of the bigger issues of 'organic' is that there's so little to really control what that label means. Everything is 'organic' anyway. There's no such thing as a plant or animal that's not "organic", i.e., "derived from living matter". So it's just a marketing buzzword. But I use it for simplicities sake. I live in a rural area and get my produce from a local family farm. They happen to themselves be "semi-vegetarian" (self described). They have chickens, and eat the eggs. And chickens don't live forever, so while the chickens aren't slaughtered for meat, they do eat the chickens when they die. Including the roosters; which is generally not eaten (much tougher and blander meat, I'm told). But, point being, it's fresh in-season kale, spinach, and other great fruits and veggies. Though in the winter months I buy the 'flown in' stuff. They can, and eat the canned stuff. It's actually pretty common out here.

I get flack once in a while around here for living in a rural area. We're all supposed to snort smog together in some urban area to reduce our travel times, I get it. But the folks out here pretty much still do live like the 50's and 60's. Far fewer are obese than in the city an hour away. There are only a couple restaurants, which happen to both be owned by farmers who serve their own grown and raised foods. (But it is country cookin', which means they fry it all. Everything. Even the vegetables.), most cook the bulk of their meals at home, many grow their own food. Even if they don't farm, they garden. Then they can what they don't eat and that lasts through the winter.

The confirmation bias is strong in this thread though. Tossing out studies that affirm our pre-conceived notions, with little, if any, willingness to open our minds to the other side. For vegans, eating meat is always a totally immoral and selfish act with no redeeming qualities. I'm enjoying listening to people tell other people WHY they eat meat, though not really asking them why, simply TELLING them why, because it must be one of their preset ideas. And, likewise, B.S. science from the meat crowd trying to affirm their pre-conceived notion (taught to them by marketing folks; like the old 'Got Milk' ads that told us that milk is essential. It really isn't. There are better sources of protein and calcium) that veganism and vegetarianism are unhealthy and require you to 'miss out' in key nutrients, which is equally true. You need amino acids (protein), and there's no amino acid you can get from meat you can't get from plants. A diet of nothing but celery and lettuce is probably unhealthy and missing out on essentials, (as would be a diet in nothing but ground hamburger), but a varied diet contains all the nutrients needed.

Also; I have to jump on this one, what's up with the B.S. "People only eat meat because it's manly" line? So this is apparently news so 'll try to break it to you gently but, women eat meat too.
My concern with GMO's is two fold:
First, we just simply do not know if they are safe or not. The research has never been done. Instead, Monsanto & the rest simply claim that
'there is no evidence that GMO's are bad'. Of course there is not -- they haven't looked and neither has anybody else.

Second, the primary use of GMO's is to make "Round Up ready crops" where the crops are doused in massive amounts of glyphosate to eliminate weeds without killing the crop. The safety of ingesting those glyphosates is highly questionable as the WHO declared them to be carcinogens (and they are linked to other diseases as well) while the FDA calls them safe for human consumption.
... So the question is not "Are GMOs safe to eat?" but: "Is RoundUp safe to eat?"

Since Monsanto seems to own the FDA, I think it comes down to how much do you trust Monsanto? Do they put health above profit? Or, profit above our health?

For myself: I have not seen any completely convincing evidence on either side of the issue and I do NOT trust Monsanto in any way, shape or form -- so I try to error on the side of caution and eat organic as often as my wallet will permit.

Then you say:
"For vegans, eating meat is always a totally immoral and selfish act with no redeeming qualities."
... For some vegans that is true, it is a religious/spiritual belief -- but increasingly that segment is becoming a minority of the vegan universe and a majority eat a Whole Food, Plant Based type diet for health reasons: to promote the health benefits of a WFPB diet while avoiding the chronic western diseases brought on by an animal based diet. But, by making that statement you reveal that you do not understand the issues...

Actually, I find that to many carnivores, eating meat is often like a religion and no amount of science will convince them that meat is not essential to their survival and persona (for others, it is just the default since 'everybody' else eats it).

Last edited by GeorgeBMac; 12-21-15 at 04:17 AM.
GeorgeBMac is offline  
Old 12-21-15, 04:30 AM
  #229  
GeorgeBMac
Senior Member
 
GeorgeBMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,061

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dim View Post
I'm a landscaper/ gardener....

at home, I grow my own veg (non gmo) ... no pesticides except for snail bait, and I grow using high brix methods (nutrient dense)

veg that I cannot grow out of season, and have to buy is normally organic ... same for things like bananas etc .... organic all the way

I'm not vegan, but I will be going on a health kick from the 2nd of Jan, and will include loads of fresh veg and fruit and will get a Nutribullet juicer thingy .... you have to add a bit of water to the mix, and I will use bottled water

as for fish, Fukushima is still spewing radiation, and I have stopped eating fish (especially fish such as Tuna) ... I used to eat fresh fish at least twice a week

used to drink green tea, but have stopped that aswell, due to Fukushima .... I still enjoy meat and chicken, but will cut down on that and only buy organic if and when I can afford to (same for eggs)

maybe I'm paranoid, but thats just me
I think it is wonderful that you have the resources and the knowledge to have the choice to make. Many do not.

But, are you paranoid? Only if you believe that the Standard American Diet is healthy... Otherwise, as Ornish points out: dietary health is on a continuum -- which is why he suggests either of two diets: a strict "Reversal Diet" for those who already have disease that they want to reverse and a less strict "Prevention Diet" for those who simply want to avoid contracting a dietary related disease...

it is for each individual to decide just how healthy they want their diet to be... And, much of that decision is based on opportunity, resources and knowledge...

But, BTW: there is lot more wrong with eating (large) fish than radiation: being at the top of the food chain, they tend to accumulate and concentrate toxins from the smaller fish that they eat -- and farm raised fish have their own issues... It's the main reason why salmon and the like is not recommended for pregnant women.
GeorgeBMac is offline  
Old 12-21-15, 05:19 AM
  #230  
GeorgeBMac
Senior Member
 
GeorgeBMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,061

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy View Post
I see a number of people on this thread attempting to conflate the vegan fad diet with the low-fat fad diet, even though there's no philosophical or physical link conjoining these two diets. One of my favorite afternoon snacks is a jigger of olive oil, followed by an ounce of nuts, usually walnuts. While dietary authorities recommend limiting dietary saturated fat to less than 7%, there is such recommendation for total dietary fat. In fact,If you look around at dietary recommendations for endurance athletes (which hopefully is the set of people reading this), while there are many studies and recommendations for a high fat diet, there are no recommendations for endurance athletes to eat less than 10% fat. Most recommendations run from 20%-30% fat, which is easily attained with a vegan diet. Just wanting to make that clear.

Here is a good article discussing dietary fat for the endurance athlete:
Fats in the Endurance World | Ultrarunning Magazine
Note for the vegan:
Your comparison of a vegan diet to a low-fat diet is all true...
But mine and most of the posts in this thread refer to a third type of diet: "Whole Food Plant Based" diets (and the like). While those diets are part of the vegan spectrum, it is not correct to confuse the two. It's a bit like calling all Fords (from the F150 to the Focus) the same...

First: Vegan diets are predominantly religious based rather than health based.
Second: Vegan diets can include ANYTHING that is a non-animal based food (and some even include animal based products like fish, eggs & dairy). A vegan diet could consist of consuming strictly olive oil and sugar... It has little to do with health.
Third: Low-Fat diets can include anything that is not high fat -- an all sugar diet would qualify as "low-fat".

Again, most of the posts here are based on a Whole Food Plant Based type diet that has a motivation of health rather than religion. Plus, most Whole Food Plant Based diets eliminate or limit anything processed & refined (thus the name "Whole Food") -- which includes avoiding added oils and sugars. Some (like the Esselstyn version) even eliminate high fat foods like avocados and nuts.

By the way: None of those who advocate a Whole Food Plant Based diet believe that Olive Oil is anything but fattening. They believe that Olive Oil got its reputation as a healthy food simply because of its association with the Mediterranean Diet. Further, they believe that the Mediterranean Diet is healthy NOT because it usually includes Olive Oil but because it is high in Whole Plant Foods rather than meat and dairy...

p.s. Let me correct myself: a vegan diet could not include fish, dairy or eggs. That would make it a sub-type of vegetarian diet.

As for suggesting that an endurance athlete "needs" more fat than any other person: I am not aware of any valid evidence to that effect. However, 30-40% is the amount in the Standard American Diet -- so that is often used as the "normal". In addition, I would certainly hope that no non-professional "endurance athlete" would sacrifice his health for his sport.

Last edited by GeorgeBMac; 12-21-15 at 07:23 AM.
GeorgeBMac is offline  
Old 12-21-15, 06:44 AM
  #231  
wolfchild
Senior Member
 
wolfchild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mississauga/Toronto, Ontario canada
Posts: 7,689

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3075 Post(s)
Liked 1,802 Times in 887 Posts
Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac View Post
Some (like the Esselstyn version) even eliminate high fat foods like avocados and nuts.
Complete fanaticism.

Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac View Post
By the way: None of those who advocate a Whole Food Plant Based diet believe that Olive Oil is anything but fattening. They believe that Olive Oil got its reputation as a healthy food simply because of its association with the Mediterranean Diet. Further, they believe that the Mediterranean Diet is healthy NOT because it usually includes Olive Oil but because it is high in Whole Plant Foods rather than meat and dairy...
If you're denying health benefits of organic virgin olive oil and if you're denying the health benefits of Mediterranean diet then you're denying facts and science.
wolfchild is offline  
Old 12-21-15, 07:47 AM
  #232  
GeorgeBMac
Senior Member
 
GeorgeBMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,061

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild View Post
Complete fanaticism.



If you're denying health benefits of organic virgin olive oil and if you're denying the health benefits of Mediterranean diet then you're denying facts and science.
Olive Oil IS healthy -- when used to replace purely saturated fats. But even then, Olive Oil is also 10% saturated fat itself -- higher than the 7% recommendation.
The Mediterranean Diet IS healthy -- when compared to the Standard American Diet.

But comparing any food to those monsters sets the bar pretty low. Actually, olive oil is a refined, processed food stripped of its normal nutrients just as sugar is -- and both will make you fat instead of healthy. But, like sugar, it can make food taste better...

Is a Whole Food Plant Based Diet extreme? For many thousands of years it was the basis for all successful large populations -- until the western diet and McDonald's covered the world. Now, populations where heart disease and diabetes were unknown are developing epidemics of those diseases. No, ripping someone's chest open to graft veins onto their heart (as a result of an unhealthy diet) is extreme though...

But I have to laugh! Now you are defending the Mediterranean Diet?
... You must feel really threatened by a healthy diet if you are resorting that!

Your attacks are just that. Attacks. They serve no purpose other than to satisfy your desperation to justify your own unhealthy diet by disparaging a healthy diet.
GeorgeBMac is offline  
Old 12-21-15, 08:55 AM
  #233  
wolfchild
Senior Member
 
wolfchild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mississauga/Toronto, Ontario canada
Posts: 7,689

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3075 Post(s)
Liked 1,802 Times in 887 Posts
Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac View Post

But comparing any food to those monsters sets the bar pretty low. Actually, olive oil is a refined, processed food stripped of its normal nutrients just as sugar is -- and both will make you fat instead of healthy.
Please educate yourself...There is a huge big difference between virgin organic cold-pressed olive oil and refined olive oil, and you are confusing the two and making them look the same, when in fact they are totally different products.

Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac View Post
But I have to laugh! Now you are defending the Mediterranean Diet?
... You must feel really threatened by a healthy diet if you are resorting that!
I never had a problem or condemned a Traditional Mediterranean Diet, even if I don't follow it 100% myself...Mediterranean Diet has been in practice for thousands of years and has been proven to be healthy and sustain entire civilizations and cultures...What I always had a problem with is "vegan fad diets" and I will continue to be critical about any "fad diet" which is based on emotion and ideology and which excludes and forbids eating foods which haven't been proven to be harmful.
wolfchild is offline  
Old 12-21-15, 09:55 PM
  #234  
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious
 
SHBR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 1,337
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 43 Posts
Humans are quite adaptable when it comes to food sources. There is an extreme amount of zealotry on both sides of the meat vs. veg debate. Most of us reside somewhere in the middle. This is classic social engineering, the us vs. them mentality that is very prevalent in modern society. I think it should also be noted that most of the 3 letter agencies in the US, and now in other countries are often a revolving door between large corporations and government. Corporatocracy is the order of the day. Profit trumps health, much to the detriment of all life on this planet.
SHBR is offline  
Old 12-21-15, 10:01 PM
  #235  
RomansFiveEight
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Missouri
Posts: 710

Bikes: Nashbar CR5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SHBR View Post
Humans are quite adaptable when it comes to food sources. There is an extreme amount of zealotry on both sides of the meat vs. veg debate. Most of us reside somewhere in the middle. This is classic social engineering, the us vs. them mentality that is very prevalent in modern society. I think it should also be noted that most of the 3 letter agencies in the US, and now in other countries are often a revolving door between large corporations and government. Corporatocracy is the order of the day. Profit trumps health, much to the detriment of all life on this planet.
You and I are kindred spirits!
RomansFiveEight is offline  
Old 12-22-15, 05:59 AM
  #236  
GeorgeBMac
Senior Member
 
GeorgeBMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,061

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild View Post
Please educate yourself...There is a huge big difference between virgin organic cold-pressed olive oil and refined olive oil, and you are confusing the two and making them look the same, when in fact they are totally different products.



I never had a problem or condemned a Traditional Mediterranean Diet, even if I don't follow it 100% myself...Mediterranean Diet has been in practice for thousands of years and has been proven to be healthy and sustain entire civilizations and cultures...What I always had a problem with is "vegan fad diets" and I will continue to be critical about any "fad diet" which is based on emotion and ideology and which excludes and forbids eating foods which haven't been proven to be harmful.
Oh! So you're starting to back peddle now from your ideologic opinions about healthy diets?

And yes, ALL olive oil is processed -- meaning a process is used to strip out a single portion of a whole food and discard the rest. What that process is matters little. Neither does it matter whether is stripping the fat from an olive or simple carbs from wheat. It is still processed foods.
GeorgeBMac is offline  
Old 12-22-15, 06:18 AM
  #237  
GeorgeBMac
Senior Member
 
GeorgeBMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,061

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SHBR View Post
Humans are quite adaptable when it comes to food sources. There is an extreme amount of zealotry on both sides of the meat vs. veg debate. Most of us reside somewhere in the middle. This is classic social engineering, the us vs. them mentality that is very prevalent in modern society. I think it should also be noted that most of the 3 letter agencies in the US, and now in other countries are often a revolving door between large corporations and government. Corporatocracy is the order of the day. Profit trumps health, much to the detriment of all life on this planet.
Yes, humans ARE quite adaptable. They had to be to survive. If they could obtain a dead animal they ate it. If they could obtain a tuber, they ate that. To survive they needed to eat whatever they could find. But, because you CAN eat it does not mean you SHOULD eat it. Today we have far more choices than our ancestors -- even from a hundred years ago... We can choose for health or we can choose for taste and pleasure.

The food industry mostly wants us to go for taste & pleasure because that's where the money is: So they sell us processed foods that have the healthiest of their ingredients stripped away and what is left is a tasteless, unhealthy product with a long shelf life -- so they load it up with fats, sugars, salt and artificial chemical compounds to create the taste they want. They profit and we get sick -- maybe it takes 20 years for the cancer or diabetes or heart disease to show up -- but every unhealthy meal contributes to one or more of those chronic diseases that are becoming epidemic in western, developed society.

And yes, there are a lot of fad diets out there based on pseudo science where the science is used to prove a conclusion rather than the conclusion evolving from the science. But do not believe that all diets are fad diets or based on pseudo science merely because they depart from a variation of the Standard American Diet. That is misguided. It is what the Corporatocracy wants you to believe...
... As they tell us: "There are no bad foods!" LOL...
GeorgeBMac is offline  
Old 12-22-15, 07:10 AM
  #238  
wolfchild
Senior Member
 
wolfchild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mississauga/Toronto, Ontario canada
Posts: 7,689

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3075 Post(s)
Liked 1,802 Times in 887 Posts
Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac View Post
Oh! So you're starting to back peddle now from your ideologic opinions about healthy diets?
Nope, I am not back peddeling on anything... I stand by what I said. I believe that any balanced healthy diet should also include some form of animal products.

Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac View Post
And yes, ALL olive oil is processed -- meaning a process is used to strip out a single portion of a whole food and discard the rest. What that process is matters little. Neither does it matter whether is stripping the fat from an olive or simple carbs from wheat. It is still processed foods.
You're splitting hairs....All food is processed to some degree. Every time you boil or bake or fry or cook something you're processing it...Many plant foods are inedible and impossible to eat without processing them first... All legumes and grains need to be processed before they can be eaten safely, and majority of root vegetables also need cooking to make them edible... In fact, processing is what unlocks a lot of nutrients in foods and makes a lot of foods more nutritious. Food processing started thousands of years ago and it's here to stay.
wolfchild is offline  
Old 12-22-15, 10:40 AM
  #239  
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling
 
Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 18,661

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3479 Post(s)
Liked 1,469 Times in 1,068 Posts
Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac View Post
Your comparison of a vegan diet to a low-fat diet is all true...
But mine and most of the posts in this thread refer to a third type of diet: "Whole Food Plant Based" diets
<snip>
As for suggesting that an endurance athlete "needs" more fat than any other person: I am not aware of any valid evidence to that effect. However, 30-40% is the amount in the Standard American Diet -- so that is often used as the "normal". In addition, I would certainly hope that no non-professional "endurance athlete" would sacrifice his health for his sport.
I'm still waiting for you to produce any evidence that eating a diet with greater than 10% fat would damage the health of an endurance athlete. 20%-35% calories from fat is the usual recommended range.

Again, we also await your evidence showing a relationship between CHD and total fat intake, as opposed to showing a relationship between CHD and the intake of particular dietary fats.

You are not aware that endurance athletes need more than 10% fat in their diet because you don't know much about eating for endurance athletes. Here is a primer on the subject:
https://www.jblearning.com/samples/07..._Nutrition.pdf

Anthropologists say, "cooking made us human," because cooking unlocked so many more nutrients that it freed up huge amounts of time for activities other than food acquisition.

For the vegans who may still be reading this thread, one of my favorite afternoon snacks is a jigger of virgin olive oil, followed by an ounce of nuts, usually walnuts. Good fats are good for you.
__________________
Results matter
Carbonfiberboy is offline  
Old 12-22-15, 11:28 AM
  #240  
GeorgeBMac
Senior Member
 
GeorgeBMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,061

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild View Post
Nope, I am not back peddeling on anything... I stand by what I said. I believe that any balanced healthy diet should also include some form of animal products.



You're splitting hairs....All food is processed to some degree. Every time you boil or bake or fry or cook something you're processing it...Many plant foods are inedible and impossible to eat without processing them first... All legumes and grains need to be processed before they can be eaten safely, and majority of root vegetables also need cooking to make them edible... In fact, processing is what unlocks a lot of nutrients in foods and makes a lot of foods more nutritious. Food processing started thousands of years ago and it's here to stay.
Sorry, but your history of angry rants belies your claims to be open minded about any diet but your own...

And, I defined what 'processed food' means - and it ain't cooking or mixing as you suggest. Don't redefine it to your liking and then refute what I said. it doesn't work.
GeorgeBMac is offline  
Old 12-22-15, 12:37 PM
  #241  
GeorgeBMac
Senior Member
 
GeorgeBMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,061

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy View Post
I'm still waiting for you to produce any evidence that eating a diet with greater than 10% fat would damage the health of an endurance athlete. 20%-35% calories from fat is the usual recommended range.

Again, we also await your evidence showing a relationship between CHD and total fat intake, as opposed to showing a relationship between CHD and the intake of particular dietary fats.

You are not aware that endurance athletes need more than 10% fat in their diet because you don't know much about eating for endurance athletes. Here is a primer on the subject:
https://www.jblearning.com/samples/07..._Nutrition.pdf

Anthropologists say, "cooking made us human," because cooking unlocked so many more nutrients that it freed up huge amounts of time for activities other than food acquisition.

For the vegans who may still be reading this thread, one of my favorite afternoon snacks is a jigger of virgin olive oil, followed by an ounce of nuts, usually walnuts. Good fats are good for you.
I have referred you to a source of over 3,000 references to the evidence you claim does not exist -- which you have ignored. Well, I guess it doesn't exist -- if you don't look! That's the old: "If a tree falls in the woods and nobody hears it..."

And, I will point out again that I and most of the poster's on this thread are not talking about "Vegan Diets" or "Low Fat Diets". We are talking about Whole Food Plant Based Diets that are quite different in many ways. Yes, there CAN be similarities, but that is no reason to confuse them -- or trash a Whole Food Plant Based diet because of deficiencies in those other diets. Your confusion on the topic seems to be mostly related to defending your own diet rather than discussing a Whole Food Plant Based Diet.

And, as for your 'evidence' about endurance athletes requiring more fat than non-athletes, your evidence seems to disprove your assumption. I quote from it:

"Because the body relies on fats for energy and the energy requirements for endurance athletes are high, one might be foolishly misled into thinking that fat intake should be of prime importance in the diet of endurance athletes."

The truth remain that: the main source of energy for both the body and the brain is carbs, not fat or protein (although, in need, the body can adapt to use all three).

Further:
"The main difference between the diets of endurance athletes and those of athletes in other sports is in the quantity of food consumed, not necessarily the macronutrient composition of the diet. ... carbohydrates play a key role in the endurance athlete’s diet. Similar to other athletes with high calorie needs, dietary fats are valuable for providing extra calories in a small volume of food"

So apparently, endurance athletes need mostly more calories rather than some special or specific mix of nutrients unique to them -- and fat is mostly just a quick and easy way to get calories -- but carbs remain the primary nutrient...

So, with no substantive differences, we get back to the topic of health and which diet maximizes health and minimizes diseases... And, by minimizing disease I am not limiting it to heart health (as you seem to be) but also: cancer, diabetes, fatty liver disease, dementia and, even food poisoning from fecal bacteria...

But, I am not going to get into the 'battle of the studies debate' with you so that you can defend your diet -- especially since you won't look at the evidence I have already pointed you to... I am more interested in the topic of this thread: Vegan and Whole Food Plan Based diets.
GeorgeBMac is offline  
Old 12-22-15, 03:10 PM
  #242  
Ball Bearing
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: South Coast of Western Australia
Posts: 254
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild View Post
Nope, I am not back peddeling on anything... I stand by what I said. I believe that any balanced healthy diet should also include some form of animal products.
Do you believe that you are more qualified to make that judgement than the
American Dietetic Association? What is the basis of your opinion?

"It is the position of the American Dietetic Association that appropriately planned vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian or vegan diets, are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and may provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. Well-planned vegetarian diets are appropriate for individuals during all stages of the life cycle, including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, and adolescence, and for athletes...."

Position of the American Dietetic Association: vegetarian diets. - PubMed - NCBI

Note: The only reason I am replying to your nonsense is for clarity.
Ball Bearing is offline  
Old 12-22-15, 04:11 PM
  #243  
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling
 
Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 18,661

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3479 Post(s)
Liked 1,469 Times in 1,068 Posts
Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac View Post
I have referred you to a source of over 3,000 references to the evidence you claim does not exist -- which you have ignored. Well, I guess it doesn't exist -- if you don't look! That's the old: "If a tree falls in the woods and nobody hears it..."

And, I will point out again that I and most of the poster's on this thread are not talking about "Vegan Diets" or "Low Fat Diets". We are talking about Whole Food Plant Based Diets that are quite different in many ways. Yes, there CAN be similarities, but that is no reason to confuse them -- or trash a Whole Food Plant Based diet because of deficiencies in those other diets. Your confusion on the topic seems to be mostly related to defending your own diet rather than discussing a Whole Food Plant Based Diet.

And, as for your 'evidence' about endurance athletes requiring more fat than non-athletes, your evidence seems to disprove your assumption. I quote from it:

"Because the body relies on fats for energy and the energy requirements for endurance athletes are high, one might be foolishly misled into thinking that fat intake should be of prime importance in the diet of endurance athletes."

The truth remain that: the main source of energy for both the body and the brain is carbs, not fat or protein (although, in need, the body can adapt to use all three).

Further:
"The main difference between the diets of endurance athletes and those of athletes in other sports is in the quantity of food consumed, not necessarily the macronutrient composition of the diet. ... carbohydrates play a key role in the endurance athlete’s diet. Similar to other athletes with high calorie needs, dietary fats are valuable for providing extra calories in a small volume of food"

So apparently, endurance athletes need mostly more calories rather than some special or specific mix of nutrients unique to them -- and fat is mostly just a quick and easy way to get calories -- but carbs remain the primary nutrient...

So, with no substantive differences, we get back to the topic of health and which diet maximizes health and minimizes diseases... And, by minimizing disease I am not limiting it to heart health (as you seem to be) but also: cancer, diabetes, fatty liver disease, dementia and, even food poisoning from fecal bacteria...

But, I am not going to get into the 'battle of the studies debate' with you so that you can defend your diet -- especially since you won't look at the evidence I have already pointed you to... I am more interested in the topic of this thread: Vegan and Whole Food Plan Based diets.
You practice the Gish Gallop. "Look at the evidence???? You have presented zero evidence, just your assertions which become fuzzier and fuzzier until it's impossible to tell what it is that you are asserting, other than that eating plants is good, with which no one disagrees. Have you switched tunes from "the lower the fat the better," to "the more plants the better, who cares about fat"?

If you assert other things beyond that "eating plants is good," let's have the specifics. Number time, please.
I am more interested in the topic of this thread: Vegan and Whole Food Plan Based diets.
The topic is "Vegans." You have done your best to muddy that topic.

I can understand why you wouldn't want to post links to studies which might give substance to your assertions, as I requested in post 239: there aren't any. Go ahead, ignore science, it's typical of the genre.
__________________
Results matter
Carbonfiberboy is offline  
Old 12-22-15, 04:24 PM
  #244  
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling
 
Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 18,661

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3479 Post(s)
Liked 1,469 Times in 1,068 Posts
I might point out that the Mediterranean Diet is a Whole Foods Plant Based Diet (GBM's idea to use caps )
The Mediterranean diet emphasizes:
  • Eating primarily plant-based foods, such as fruits and vegetables, whole grains, legumes and nuts
Mediterranean diet for heart health - Mayo Clinic

It is not a vegan diet, nor is it a low-fat diet. It's simply the most recommended healthy diet there is. But that's not the subject of this thread either.
__________________
Results matter
Carbonfiberboy is offline  
Old 12-23-15, 11:02 AM
  #245  
GeorgeBMac
Senior Member
 
GeorgeBMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,061

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy View Post
You practice the Gish Gallop. "Look at the evidence???? You have presented zero evidence, just your assertions which become fuzzier and fuzzier until it's impossible to tell what it is that you are asserting, other than that eating plants is good, with which no one disagrees. Have you switched tunes from "the lower the fat the better," to "the more plants the better, who cares about fat"?

If you assert other things beyond that "eating plants is good," let's have the specifics. Number time, please.The topic is "Vegans." You have done your best to muddy that topic.

I can understand why you wouldn't want to post links to studies which might give substance to your assertions, as I requested in post 239: there aren't any. Go ahead, ignore science, it's typical of the genre.
I think you are losing it...
You're conceptions and assumptions about diet have been challenged and you feel threatened -- so you respond with insults...

No evidence? I offered you evidence with over 3,000 references to studies that back it up.
... Your response was to refuse to look at it -- and then say I provided no evidence!

You provide a study that you say proves your contention that endurance athletes must eat high fat -- yet, the study itself says quite the opposite. Your response? None.

I am disappointed in you. You claim to base your training on scientific evidence. But it is becoming apparent that you base it only on that scientific evidence that supports your ideas and assumptions of what a diet should be.

But, the hilarious part is: You have demonstrated a number of times that you do not know what a Whole Food Plant Based diet is -- the only thing you know is that you do not like it.

You should educate yourself before speaking next time.

But, in any case, I will not engage in a "War of Studies" with you. If you refuse to educate yourself, it is not my job to do it for you.

And, if Whole Food Plant Based Diets threaten you and upset you so much, then don't read the thread -- or get yourself a prescription for some Klonopin...
GeorgeBMac is offline  
Old 12-23-15, 11:08 AM
  #246  
GeorgeBMac
Senior Member
 
GeorgeBMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,061

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy View Post
I might point out that the Mediterranean Diet is a Whole Foods Plant Based Diet (GBM's idea to use caps )Mediterranean diet for heart health - Mayo Clinic
...
.
The Mediterranean Diet IS a Whole Food Plant Based diet? WRONG!
Again, you demonstrate that you don't know what a Whole Food Plant Based diet is -- but, whatever it is, you don't like it!

But, despite you lack of knowledge, your attempt to trash this thread is working well!
GeorgeBMac is offline  
Old 12-23-15, 11:31 AM
  #247  
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling
 
Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 18,661

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3479 Post(s)
Liked 1,469 Times in 1,068 Posts
Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac View Post
I think you are losing it...
You're conceptions and assumptions about diet have been challenged and you feel threatened -- so you respond with insults...

No evidence? I offered you evidence with over 3,000 references to studies that back it up.
... Your response was to refuse to look at it -- and then say I provided no evidence!

You provide a study that you say proves your contention that endurance athletes must eat high fat -- yet, the study itself says quite the opposite. Your response? None.

I am disappointed in you. You claim to base your training on scientific evidence. But it is becoming apparent that you base it only on that scientific evidence that supports your ideas and assumptions of what a diet should be.

But, the hilarious part is: You have demonstrated a number of times that you do not know what a Whole Food Plant Based diet is -- the only thing you know is that you do not like it.

You should educate yourself before speaking next time.

But, in any case, I will not engage in a "War of Studies" with you. If you refuse to educate yourself, it is not my job to do it for you.

And, if Whole Food Plant Based Diets threaten you and upset you so much, then don't read the thread -- or get yourself a prescription for some Klonopin...
__________________
Results matter
Carbonfiberboy is offline  
Old 12-23-15, 11:58 AM
  #248  
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling
 
Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 18,661

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3479 Post(s)
Liked 1,469 Times in 1,068 Posts
Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac View Post
The Mediterranean Diet IS a Whole Food Plant Based diet? WRONG!
Again, you demonstrate that you don't know what a Whole Food Plant Based diet is -- but, whatever it is, you don't like it!

But, despite you lack of knowledge, your attempt to trash this thread is working well!
See the thing is . . . I eat a Whole Food Plant Based diet. In the past 40+ years, I've eaten meat a handful of times. Dinner last night was black beans and brown rice with Ghanaian chocolate after. However you've been trying to conflate that diet, which is a good one, with a very low fat diet which can harm the health of an athlete. You refuse to provide any scientific data to support your contention that eating fat harms the health of endurance athletes and you continue your refusal in post after post, disguising it with attacks on me.

I'm just saying to the vegans here: don't be afraid of fat and get your B-12.
The 5 Cleanest Sources of Plant-Based Fats | One Green Planet
things we all enjoy but may have been foolishly avoiding because the age-old horse-phooey about a low-fat diet being healthy.
__________________
Results matter
Carbonfiberboy is offline  
Old 12-23-15, 04:07 PM
  #249  
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling
 
Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 18,661

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3479 Post(s)
Liked 1,469 Times in 1,068 Posts
So maybe there's an interesting scientific reason that the Med diet and red wine reduce heart disease? This just came across my screen:
A compound found in extra virgin olive oil and red wine reduced mice’s risk of clogged arteries.
Drugged Gut Microbiome Cuts Heart Risk in Mice - Scientific American

Totally worth a read. I think both red wine and extra virgin olive oil count as vegan.
__________________
Results matter
Carbonfiberboy is offline  
Old 12-23-15, 04:12 PM
  #250  
OldTryGuy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SW Fl.
Posts: 5,432

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy;18410276/
I always make sure to have (C) with my Organic Fair Trade Cacao Nibs.
OldTryGuy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.