Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Riding a century tomorrow. What should I eat today?

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Riding a century tomorrow. What should I eat today?

Old 04-27-18, 12:22 PM
  #1  
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Northwest Georgia
Posts: 14,782

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6837 Post(s)
Liked 702 Times in 447 Posts
Riding a century tomorrow. What should I eat today?

Should be fun to hear what others have to say.

Thank you very nice!


-Tim-
TimothyH is offline  
Old 04-27-18, 12:36 PM
  #2  
Hondo Gravel
es ist mir egal
 
Hondo Gravel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Hondo,Texas
Posts: 2,063

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2166 Post(s)
Liked 2,264 Times in 1,461 Posts
Doulble Patty Melt with large fries. Whataburger here in Texas not sure if there are Whataburgers in Georgia.
Hondo Gravel is offline  
Old 04-27-18, 12:53 PM
  #3  
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Northwest Georgia
Posts: 14,782

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6837 Post(s)
Liked 702 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
Doulble Patty Melt with large fries. Whataburger here in Texas not sure if there are Whataburgers in Georgia.
Five Guys?
TimothyH is offline  
Old 04-27-18, 12:55 PM
  #4  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 26,045
Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14404 Post(s)
Liked 2,409 Times in 1,795 Posts
Food
CliffordK is online now  
Old 04-27-18, 12:59 PM
  #5  
Hondo Gravel
es ist mir egal
 
Hondo Gravel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Hondo,Texas
Posts: 2,063

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2166 Post(s)
Liked 2,264 Times in 1,461 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH View Post
Five Guys?

Yup, have Five Guys here but not in this area of Texas.
Hondo Gravel is offline  
Old 04-27-18, 01:01 PM
  #6  
caloso
Senior Member
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Posts: 40,315

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2719 Post(s)
Liked 2,426 Times in 1,125 Posts
Normal food. Protein, starch, veggies. Sated, not stuffed.
caloso is offline  
Old 04-27-18, 01:28 PM
  #7  
bbbean 
Senior Member
 
bbbean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,377

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked 214 Times in 131 Posts
Skip dinner. Drink tequila. You'll thank me later.
__________________

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

bbbean is offline  
Old 04-27-18, 03:32 PM
  #8  
wolfchild
Senior Member
 
wolfchild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mississauga/Toronto, Ontario canada
Posts: 6,848

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2284 Post(s)
Liked 1,093 Times in 550 Posts
Eat what you normally eat...Carbs, proteins and fats. Eat normal sized portions.
wolfchild is offline  
Old 04-27-18, 05:23 PM
  #9  
Bandera
~>~
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: TX Hill Country
Posts: 5,932
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild View Post
Eat what you normally eat...Carbs, proteins and fats. Eat normal sized portions.
Yep, the day before a long ride isn' t the time to experiment w/ diet.
Eat what worked for you before longer endurance rides and take along what jersey pocket food worked before on those same rides.

-Bandera
Bandera is offline  
Old 04-27-18, 05:52 PM
  #10  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 26,045
Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14404 Post(s)
Liked 2,409 Times in 1,795 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera View Post
Yep, the day before a long ride isn' t the time to experiment w/ diet.
Eat what worked for you before longer endurance rides and take along what jersey pocket food worked before on those same rides.

-Bandera
Good point.

Getting the runs before, or during a long ride can be the pits. Especially if pitstops are rare.
CliffordK is online now  
Old 04-27-18, 06:40 PM
  #11  
mcours2006
Senior Member
 
mcours2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 6,061

Bikes: Giant Rapid, Bianchi Advantage, Specialized Roubaix, 1985 Gardin Quatro, Norco Threshold, Raleigh Serengheti MTB

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked 286 Times in 168 Posts
I say ride in a fasted state. Imagine how much you'll enjoy that first meal after!
mcours2006 is offline  
Old 04-27-18, 06:53 PM
  #12  
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Northwest Georgia
Posts: 14,782

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6837 Post(s)
Liked 702 Times in 447 Posts
You guys are no help.

I had Chill Salmon Roll sushi and a quart of Thai vegetable and pork soup.

Going to the kitchen in a bit to make baked avocado with egg for tomorrows breakfast.


-Tim-
TimothyH is offline  
Old 04-27-18, 07:08 PM
  #13  
mcours2006
Senior Member
 
mcours2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 6,061

Bikes: Giant Rapid, Bianchi Advantage, Specialized Roubaix, 1985 Gardin Quatro, Norco Threshold, Raleigh Serengheti MTB

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked 286 Times in 168 Posts
How about some avocado and eggs for breakfast? Some healthy fat and protein.
mcours2006 is offline  
Old 04-28-18, 01:51 AM
  #14  
Altimis
Senior Member
 
Altimis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 224
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't really have any suggestion what to eat but I do have list to avoid.

Those oily fatty foods are sure my first priority to "avoid at all costs". Used to cause my stomach distress so much to the point I vomit it half way and got sick after.
Altimis is offline  
Old 04-28-18, 04:34 AM
  #15  
KraneXL
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: La-la Land, CA
Posts: 3,623

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 239 Times in 184 Posts
Rice. Next time don't wait until the day before to ask. Although now you already know.
KraneXL is offline  
Old 04-28-18, 11:37 AM
  #16  
Machka 
In Real Life
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 52,061

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3177 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 273 Posts
Whatever you normally eat ... but try to keep it relatively bland.

How many calories you consume just prior to the ride (breakfast) and on the ride is more important.
Machka is offline  
Old 04-28-18, 11:48 AM
  #17  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 26,045
Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14404 Post(s)
Liked 2,409 Times in 1,795 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006 View Post
I say ride in a fasted state. Imagine how much you'll enjoy that first meal after!
We have a local restaurant that servers a 5 pound hamburger.

FREE if one can eat the whole thing.

I've thought about ordering one to follow a "century ride"
CliffordK is online now  
Old 04-28-18, 07:11 PM
  #18  
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Northwest Georgia
Posts: 14,782

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6837 Post(s)
Liked 702 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
We have a local restaurant that servers a 5 pound hamburger.

FREE if one can eat the whole thing.

I've thought about ordering one to follow a "century ride"

I never understood that type of gluttony, eating for the sake of eating. It isn't for me, that's for sure.

Last edited by TimothyH; 04-28-18 at 07:20 PM.
TimothyH is offline  
Old 04-28-18, 07:21 PM
  #19  
mcours2006
Senior Member
 
mcours2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 6,061

Bikes: Giant Rapid, Bianchi Advantage, Specialized Roubaix, 1985 Gardin Quatro, Norco Threshold, Raleigh Serengheti MTB

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked 286 Times in 168 Posts
Only in America, baby!
mcours2006 is offline  
Old 04-29-18, 07:23 AM
  #20  
wolfchild
Senior Member
 
wolfchild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mississauga/Toronto, Ontario canada
Posts: 6,848

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2284 Post(s)
Liked 1,093 Times in 550 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH View Post
I never understood that type of gluttony, eating for the sake of eating. It isn't for me, that's for sure.
This has nothing to do with gluttony...A 100 mile century can burn a lot of calories and deplete the body of nutrients...There is nothing wrong with overcompensating by eating a slightly larger amount of food after a hard long ride...Personally I avoid eating fast food, but if I just finished riding a century I would definitely have a cheat meal and indulge in foods that I normally don't eat on daily basis.
wolfchild is offline  
Old 04-29-18, 05:56 PM
  #21  
KraneXL
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: La-la Land, CA
Posts: 3,623

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 239 Times in 184 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild View Post
This has nothing to do with gluttony...A 100 mile century can burn a lot of calories and deplete the body of nutrients...There is nothing wrong with overcompensating by eating a slightly larger amount of food after a hard long ride...Personally I avoid eating fast food, but if I just finished riding a century I would definitely have a cheat meal and indulge in foods that I normally don't eat on daily basis.
You rationale for caloric compensations is reasonable. The example mentioned about is not.

I'll bet you a month of credits the people attempting to the meal mentioned about is NOT going to be an endurance athlete.
KraneXL is offline  
Old 04-29-18, 10:44 PM
  #22  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 26,045
Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14404 Post(s)
Liked 2,409 Times in 1,795 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL View Post
You rationale for caloric compensations is reasonable. The example mentioned about is not.

I'll bet you a month of credits the people attempting to the meal mentioned about is NOT going to be an endurance athlete.
I suppose I've led this off topic a bit.

Having some kind of eating contest/challenge doesn't mean an every day event. And, one can always bring the leftovers home if one wishes.

According to Strava, I had one ride in the fall of 2016 that I burnt about 6,937 calories for the day, and I have to think that Strava underestimated the calorie burn. It was a pretty hard day riding. And I've hit around a 5000 calorie estimate on a few rides. Can one add a typical 1500 daily maintenance calories on top of that?

I can't say that it would be wise, or even safe to do a long hard ride on an empty stomach without snack breaks. Or to eat the entire "replenishment" in a single sitting.

However, at the end of the day, a banana wouldn't cut it for replenishing the calories burnt. Even a Big Mack would leave one a bit short. After a hard ride, I often find myself eating everything in sight for at least a day afterwards.

Work up an appetite?
CliffordK is online now  
Old 04-29-18, 11:57 PM
  #23  
KraneXL
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: La-la Land, CA
Posts: 3,623

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 239 Times in 184 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
I suppose I've led this off topic a bit.

Having some kind of eating contest/challenge doesn't mean an every day event. And, one can always bring the leftovers home if one wishes.

According to Strava, I had one ride in the fall of 2016 that I burnt about 6,937 calories for the day, and I have to think that Strava underestimated the calorie burn. It was a pretty hard day riding. And I've hit around a 5000 calorie estimate on a few rides. Can one add a typical 1500 daily maintenance calories on top of that?

I can't say that it would be wise, or even safe to do a long hard ride on an empty stomach without snack breaks. Or to eat the entire "replenishment" in a single sitting.

However, at the end of the day, a banana wouldn't cut it for replenishing the calories burnt. Even a Big Mack would leave one a bit short. After a hard ride, I often find myself eating everything in sight for at least a day afterwards.

Work up an appetite?
That'll be 3,390 for the hamburger. Just the hamburger.
KraneXL is offline  
Old 04-30-18, 09:37 AM
  #24  
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Northwest Georgia
Posts: 14,782

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6837 Post(s)
Liked 702 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild View Post
This has nothing to do with gluttony...A 100 mile century can burn a lot of calories and deplete the body of nutrients...There is nothing wrong with overcompensating by eating a slightly larger amount of food after a hard long ride...Personally I avoid eating fast food, but if I just finished riding a century I would definitely have a cheat meal and indulge in foods that I normally don't eat on daily basis.
Oh, I get it. Thanks for helping me understand. I thought you were suggesting a Man vs Food thing. Sorry.

On the day of a century I eat as much as I can leading up to the event. I had 1500 calories for breakfast, and was glad I did.

Last edited by TimothyH; 04-30-18 at 09:42 AM.
TimothyH is offline  
Old 05-01-18, 07:31 AM
  #25  
colombo357
Senior Member
 
colombo357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Murica
Posts: 2,283
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
Poo.
colombo357 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.