Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

leg power asymmetry

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

leg power asymmetry

Old 05-01-22, 12:04 PM
  #26  
extecher
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Interesting that this topic popped up, as I was about to ask a similar question:

I'm a new cyclist and am primarily a runner. In 2017 I injured my knee and spent almost a year in a knee brace--including after surgery--with the result of my gait changing considerably on the right leg. Therapy has gotten it better, but I still have a funky running motion and on an elliptical I push off with my right leg more than my left leg.

On today's ride I started getting pain/burning in my right quad and in the right hip flexor--especially when I was going hard at 22 mph+. Had some pain getting back on the saddle at the halfway point (Lifting the right leg like a moron) and I'm still a little uncomfortable in the hip, though nothing foam roller/percussion massager isn't fixing. I don't think it's a fit issue as my left side is perfectly fine and riding the same circuit at a lower speed last week I had no issues at all.

In my mind, this all sounds like an asymmetry issue and a combination of left pedal exercises and stretching out the right side before my workouts (I do 15-20 minutes' worth of stretches daily) and rides, but wanted to ask people with more experience if that lined up with them. Thanks!
extecher is offline  
Old 05-02-22, 03:41 PM
  #27  
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling
 
Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 18,409

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3372 Post(s)
Liked 1,327 Times in 971 Posts
Originally Posted by extecher View Post
Interesting that this topic popped up, as I was about to ask a similar question:

I'm a new cyclist and am primarily a runner. In 2017 I injured my knee and spent almost a year in a knee brace--including after surgery--with the result of my gait changing considerably on the right leg. Therapy has gotten it better, but I still have a funky running motion and on an elliptical I push off with my right leg more than my left leg.

On today's ride I started getting pain/burning in my right quad and in the right hip flexor--especially when I was going hard at 22 mph+. Had some pain getting back on the saddle at the halfway point (Lifting the right leg like a moron) and I'm still a little uncomfortable in the hip, though nothing foam roller/percussion massager isn't fixing. I don't think it's a fit issue as my left side is perfectly fine and riding the same circuit at a lower speed last week I had no issues at all.

In my mind, this all sounds like an asymmetry issue and a combination of left pedal exercises and stretching out the right side before my workouts (I do 15-20 minutes' worth of stretches daily) and rides, but wanted to ask people with more experience if that lined up with them. Thanks!
Confusing. Which knee was injured and are all your left/right references correct?
__________________
Results matter
Carbonfiberboy is offline  
Old 05-02-22, 08:02 PM
  #28  
extecher
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy View Post
Confusing. Which knee was injured and are all your left/right references correct?
Nah, references are correct; right knee was injured and time spend in a brace caused my gait to change with my right leg moving differently than the left (The one with natural movement). I find that when I'm on an elliptical, I push harder with my right leg than my left, which makes me think the pain solely in my right hip flexor/quad is because I'm asymmetrical in my leg power, biased to my right leg.
extecher is offline  
Old 05-02-22, 08:24 PM
  #29  
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling
 
Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 18,409

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3372 Post(s)
Liked 1,327 Times in 971 Posts
Originally Posted by extecher View Post
Nah, references are correct; right knee was injured and time spend in a brace caused my gait to change with my right leg moving differently than the left (The one with natural movement). I find that when I'm on an elliptical, I push harder with my right leg than my left, which makes me think the pain solely in my right hip flexor/quad is because I'm asymmetrical in my leg power, biased to my right leg.
Interesting. Usually it's the injured limb which becomes weaker.
__________________
Results matter
Carbonfiberboy is offline  
Old 05-03-22, 11:00 AM
  #30  
Hermes
Version 3.0
 
Hermes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 12,650

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 296 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 890 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett View Post
i get bored/inattentive and drift back to 56/44 before my left leg fatigues. it does feel unnatural, and if i get out of the saddle and really hammer, the peak power is notably lower (900 vs 1100) if i try and “focus” on the left side. so i think that would be the real advantage given cardio limits - more powerful sprints?

i actually first noticed this because of peaks, on the meter which was only reading from the left side i couldn’t get >900 peak watts no matter what i did.
I would be suspicious of peak power readings during sprinting due to the IMO, poor transient response of power meters with accelerometers measuring cadence. At best the sampling rate is once per second for most head units and the accuracy stated for the PM is for steady state.

L/R balance during sprinting, IMO, is going to be elusive and not worth chasing down. If you are stomping as hard as possible with each leg, you are good.
Hermes is offline  
Old 05-07-22, 08:06 PM
  #31  
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 22,928
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17589 Post(s)
Liked 9,507 Times in 5,360 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
I would be suspicious of peak power readings during sprinting due to the IMO, poor transient response of power meters with accelerometers measuring cadence.
Are you saying I didn't really do 240 RPM for 1 second? 🙂

The thing is if the accelerometer can be wrong during that second, they can be wrong when they say 97 RPM too.

The vast majority of the time they're correct. Overall the PM is very good and accurate to +/- 1.5%, way off for a second every now and then and right the rest of the time stays within the accuracy spec. That works great for my average power over a couple hour ride, but, as @Hermes says, can throw the peak power off, making this number in particular less trustworthy than others.
Seattle Forrest is offline  
Old 05-08-22, 02:05 PM
  #32  
PeteHski
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 3,541
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1691 Post(s)
Liked 1,812 Times in 1,150 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
I would be suspicious of peak power readings during sprinting due to the IMO, poor transient response of power meters with accelerometers measuring cadence. At best the sampling rate is once per second for most head units and the accuracy stated for the PM is for steady state.

L/R balance during sprinting, IMO, is going to be elusive and not worth chasing down. If you are stomping as hard as possible with each leg, you are good.
I find peak power readings to be fairly consistent in reality. At least with the various power meters I own. Maybe there is some "clipping" due to the sampling rate, but 1 sec power is certainly as much resolution as I need.
PeteHski is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.