Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Baking Soda?

Old 03-20-23, 12:47 PM
  #1  
Should Be More Popular
Thread Starter
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 43,460

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 9,397 Times in 4,343 Posts
Baking Soda?

I am skeptical, but this article makes it sound like the next big thing.

Comments?

https://www.velonews.com/news/road/j...g-pro-cycling/
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 03-20-23, 01:03 PM
  #2  
• —
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 12,405

Bikes: Shmikes

Liked 6,020 Times in 3,244 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I am skeptical, but this article makes it sound like the next big thing.

Comments?

https://www.velonews.com/news/road/j...g-pro-cycling/
Call me credulous, but every H+ ion buffered is a marginal gain, right? I actually think there are performance data, even from the topical cream, which is pretty wild. I’ll look when I have a moment.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 03-20-23, 01:10 PM
  #3  
Should Be More Popular
Thread Starter
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 43,460

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 9,397 Times in 4,343 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Call me credulous, but every H+ ion buffered is a marginal gain, right? I actually think there are performance data, even from the topical cream, which is pretty wild. I’ll look when I have a moment.
​​​​​​I suspect that if you compare exogenous bicarb to what we can endogenously buffer, it's so marginal as to not make a meaningful difference. But wtf do I know?? Let me know if you reach any conclusions.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 03-20-23, 01:22 PM
  #4  
• —
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 12,405

Bikes: Shmikes

Liked 6,020 Times in 3,244 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
​​​​​​I suspect that if you compare exogenous bicarb to what we can endogenously buffer, it's so marginal as to not make a meaningful difference. But wtf do I know?? Let me know if you reach any conclusions.
I’m pretty sure exercise produces measurable systemic acidosis and oral bicarb improves performance but causes intolerable GI effects. Hence the skin cream. This sounds like a new workaround.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 03-20-23 at 01:27 PM.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 03-20-23, 04:41 PM
  #5  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mississauga/Toronto, Ontario canada
Posts: 8,721

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Liked 2,492 Times in 1,287 Posts
Baking soda is very bad for your digestion....Destroying your health and body to gain a tiny bit of extra performance just isn't worth it. Think long term not short term.
wolfchild is offline  
Old 03-20-23, 05:12 PM
  #6  
• —
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 12,405

Bikes: Shmikes

Liked 6,020 Times in 3,244 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Baking soda is very bad for your digestion....Destroying your health and body to gain a tiny bit of extra performance just isn't worth it. Think long term not short term.
Last time it was checked, my plasma contained 30 mmol of bicarb per liter. Better get my affairs in order.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 03-20-23, 05:52 PM
  #7  
Should Be More Popular
Thread Starter
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 43,460

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 9,397 Times in 4,343 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Last time it was checked, my plasma contained 30 mmol of bicarb per liter. Better get my affairs in order.
Can I have your bike??
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 03-20-23, 06:17 PM
  #8  
• —
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 12,405

Bikes: Shmikes

Liked 6,020 Times in 3,244 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Can I have your bike??
Too small for you, but you can have my polo pony.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 03-21-23, 12:10 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,803
Liked 330 Times in 208 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I’m pretty sure exercise produces measurable systemic acidosis and oral bicarb improves performance but causes intolerable GI effects. Hence the skin cream. This sounds like a new workaround.
This was my understanding. People have known that this legitimately works for quite some time but the risk of stomach issues was simply too high.

Last edited by OBoile; 03-22-23 at 08:04 AM.
OBoile is offline  
Old 03-21-23, 01:24 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,764
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
same principle as capsules that are maybe a little easier to get down on the bike

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6346694/
redlude97 is offline  
Likes For redlude97:
Old 03-21-23, 01:29 PM
  #11  
• —
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 12,405

Bikes: Shmikes

Liked 6,020 Times in 3,244 Posts
I still haven’t had time to look at the literature, but I assume pH is only limiting for anaerobic efforts and that this would enhance W’ or something. Right?
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 03-24-23, 08:10 AM
  #12  
Version 7.0
 
Hermes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 13,205

Bikes: Too Many

Liked 2,591 Times in 1,517 Posts
I tried the stuff that is rubbed on the legs. It was a meh. However, some guys also get sick from the topical. YMMV
Hermes is offline  
Old 03-30-23, 07:03 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
MinnMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 5,895

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Liked 3,146 Times in 1,939 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
same principle as capsules that are maybe a little easier to get down on the bike

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6346694/
Dosages of 300 mg/kg? So this requires taking maybe 20 grams of sodium bicarbonate?

Quick survey of enteric tablets on the market indicates 300 to maybe 650 mg/pill. So 30 pills?

No thanks.
MinnMan is offline  
Old 03-30-23, 07:49 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 29,614

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Liked 3,618 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I am skeptical, but this article makes it sound like the next big thing.
Comments?
https://www.velonews.com/news/road/j...g-pro-cycling/
I was using baking soda (1/2 teaspoon?) w/ lemon juice (1/2 lemon) in a big 16 oz water once a day, for my gout, but then I realized I could just cut down on my meat & alcohol, but I still use a little apple cider vinegar
rumrunn6 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.