Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Low Carb / Paleo Weirdos Check In Here

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Low Carb / Paleo Weirdos Check In Here

Old 01-24-14, 12:39 PM
  #26  
Senior Member
 
MEversbergII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Lexington Park, Maryland
Posts: 1,262

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by bmontgomery87
If you're getting locally made bacon cured with actual salt I'd say it's not so awful. But I find it laughable that people think eating bacon every morning for breakfast is fine but eating a bowl of pasta isn't.
At least one of my local producers uses MSG and corn syrup in their bacon. Local's not necessarily better.

Pasta is made from wheat. Wheat is less than desirable.

M.
MEversbergII is offline  
Old 01-24-14, 06:29 PM
  #27  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mississauga/Toronto, Ontario canada
Posts: 8,721

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,284 Posts
Bacon is a tasty treat to be enjoyed in moderation. Bacon is not something that I would want to eat very often. The problem with pork is that it's the most contaminated meat of all..Beef is a lot better, beef can even be eaten raw , I ate a lot of raw steak tartar when I was growing up, and never got sick, but you never going to catch me eating undercooked pork.
wolfchild is offline  
Old 01-24-14, 08:13 PM
  #28  
Senior Member
 
Ekdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Seville, Spain
Posts: 4,403

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
[h=1]Michael Pollan Explains What's Wrong With the Paleo Diet[/h]
Ekdog is offline  
Old 01-26-14, 08:52 AM
  #29  
Super Modest
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 23,309

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10825 Post(s)
Liked 4,496 Times in 2,057 Posts
My doctor gave me one more chance to remove starchy carbs and fruit from my diet or else I was going to start Metformin for Type 2 Diabetes.

I finally did it. No potatoes, rice, peas, corn, popcorn, fruit, pasta, etc. After 30 days, my A1C was <6 and my blood glucose was 84. This morning, my home machine said 71.

Without counting calories, I've lost 30.2# since December 1st, 8 weeks.

After I lose another 10#, I'm get to start gradually reintroducing healthy fruits.

I haven't ridden that much since December 1st due to the cold but I did just get back from Tucson where I rode 240 miles in a week with several mountain pass climbs and I never cramped or suffered from lack of carbs.

BTW, my BP has dropped immensely, too, especially the upper number.
__________________
Keep the chain tight!







Trsnrtr is offline  
Old 01-29-14, 05:44 PM
  #30  
Wheelsuck
 
Fat Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hover around 100-150g of 'base' carbs and then I add carbs based on the athletic endeavors of the day. If I'm going on my 4 hour ride on Saturday, I'll start the day off with a big sweet potato. So I might be at 300-400 grams of carbs on a big riding day (2000-2500 kj of riding). If I try to do a hard ride at a low carb intake (say, 50-75g/day) I just cannot put out much power. It's a _big_ difference.

I think that eating whole, naturally grown/raised food is the biggest gain. I end up eating a good chunk of fat every day, but I don't spend much time ketogenic.
Fat Boy is offline  
Old 01-29-14, 09:55 PM
  #31  
Senior Member
 
bbbean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,687

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 410 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by Fat Boy
I hover around 100-150g of 'base' carbs and then I add carbs based on the athletic endeavors of the day. If I'm going on my 4 hour ride on Saturday, I'll start the day off with a big sweet potato. So I might be at 300-400 grams of carbs on a big riding day (2000-2500 kj of riding). If I try to do a hard ride at a low carb intake (say, 50-75g/day) I just cannot put out much power. It's a _big_ difference.

I think that eating whole, naturally grown/raised food is the biggest gain. I end up eating a good chunk of fat every day, but I don't spend much time ketogenic.
Sounds like you're basically where I am now. I hit my weight goal in the fall and am learning how to fuel my rides adequately without adding weight or spiking my blood sugar. Gels are a decent resource for normal 2-3 hour rides, but I'm not sure about the 2-3 day carb loading non-low-carb folks do. Next week I'm riding my first ever time trial (a short 6 miler), and I'm thinking an extra yogurt, extra coffee, and a gel 30 min before race time will be adequate. Later on in the month, I have some longer races, and I have to figure out how long to bump carbs up pre-race. Gels, cookies, and bananas should get me through the races themselves.

BB
__________________

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

bbbean is offline  
Old 01-30-14, 06:49 AM
  #32  
Senior Member
 
elcruxio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Turku, Finland, Europe
Posts: 2,443

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 203 Posts
Originally Posted by MEversbergII
At least one of my local producers uses MSG and corn syrup in their bacon. Local's not necessarily better.

Pasta is made from wheat. Wheat is less than desirable.

M.
What's wrong with wheat (apart from the 6% of the population with which it's incompatible)?
elcruxio is online now  
Old 01-30-14, 07:53 AM
  #33  
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
Thread Starter
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Posts: 27,272

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
What's wrong with wheat (apart from the 6% of the population with which it's incompatible)?
If you are looking to stay on a low level of carbs wheat / flour adds a lot of carbs.
Sixty Fiver is offline  
Old 01-30-14, 10:26 AM
  #34  
Senior Member
 
bmontgomery87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Roanoke, Va
Posts: 997

Bikes: 2013 leader 721. 2015 leader 725. 2012 fuji feather

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
What's wrong with wheat (apart from the 6% of the population with which it's incompatible)?

I don't think there is really anything wrong with it, unless you're trying to avoid GMO or gluten.

I've never had any trouble getting stronger, losing weight, etc while consuming wheat
bmontgomery87 is offline  
Old 01-30-14, 12:03 PM
  #35  
Wheelsuck
 
Fat Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
What's wrong with wheat (apart from the 6% of the population with which it's incompatible)?
If you're looking to put carbs in your diet (say, for a long ride), there are a lot of options that will provide those same carbs along with a good chunk of other nutrients. Wheat is not a very good source of anything other than calories.

I personally feel that gluten causes a lot of problems that are not necessarily related to celiac, but that's a debatable point, so I don't necessarily want to put that on others. What is an easy thing to see is that there are other better options.

FWIW, my Saturday pre-ride breakfast is a bunch of sweet potato (~500-600 grams). I mix in cinnamon, ground ginger, some maca root, a sprinkle of chopped walnuts, a scoop of vanilla whey and a pour of coconut milk. It's a big breakfast. It ends up to be about 85-100 grams of starch/sugar, 30-35 grams of protein and bit of fat. It's maybe 750 calories or so. It pretty much powers me for a 4+ hour ride.
Fat Boy is offline  
Old 01-30-14, 12:05 PM
  #36  
Senior Member
 
bmontgomery87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Roanoke, Va
Posts: 997

Bikes: 2013 leader 721. 2015 leader 725. 2012 fuji feather

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fat Boy
If you're looking to put carbs in your diet (say, for a long ride), there are a lot of options that will provide those same carbs along with a good chunk of other nutrients. Wheat is not a very good source of anything other than calories.

I personally feel that gluten causes a lot of problems that are not necessarily related to celiac, but that's a debatable point, so I don't necessarily want to put that on others. What is an easy thing to see is that there are other better options.

FWIW, my Saturday pre-ride breakfast is a bunch of sweet potato (~500-600 grams). I mix in cinnamon, ground ginger, some maca root, a sprinkle of chopped walnuts, a scoop of vanilla whey and a pour of coconut milk. It's a big breakfast. It ends up to be about 85-100 grams of starch/sugar, 30-35 grams of protein and bit of fat. It's maybe 750 calories or so. It pretty much powers me for a 4+ hour ride.
how do you feel about rice?

It's usually one of my main carb staples (along with potatoes) and I usually feel really well when eating it.

I like wheat and pasta but I've definitely felt bloated and crappy in the past from overconsumption.
bmontgomery87 is offline  
Old 01-30-14, 12:20 PM
  #37  
Wheelsuck
 
Fat Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bmontgomery87
how do you feel about rice?

It's usually one of my main carb staples (along with potatoes) and I usually feel really well when eating it.

I like wheat and pasta but I've definitely felt bloated and crappy in the past from overconsumption.
I'm actually OK with rice, especially white rice. If you're looking to get some carbs without any 'bad stuff' (anti-nutrients, gut irritants, whatever terminology you want to use) then I think it's a pretty good option. You don't really get any nutrients from rice, so I'd see it more as a side dish.

Anyway, how is someone supposed to eat Chinese food without some rice?
Fat Boy is offline  
Old 01-30-14, 12:49 PM
  #38  
Wheelsuck
 
Fat Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Bacon is a tasty treat to be enjoyed in moderation. Bacon is not something that I would want to eat very often. The problem with pork is that it's the most contaminated meat of all..Beef is a lot better, beef can even be eaten raw , I ate a lot of raw steak tartar when I was growing up, and never got sick, but you never going to catch me eating undercooked pork.
The meat that I've been eating a bit more of lately is lamb. I can get a leg of lamb for $6 a pound. It's a fattier meat than beef, but I'm OK with that. It's grass-fed and great tasting. The kids like it too. I just call it 'roast' and they haven't balked, yet. I'm not super stoked that it is shipped 1/2 way around the planet, but that's not really something I can change.
Fat Boy is offline  
Old 01-30-14, 01:01 PM
  #39  
In the Pain Cave
 
thechemist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 1,672
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fat Boy
The meat that I've been eating a bit more of lately is lamb. I can get a leg of lamb for $6 a pound. It's a fattier meat than beef, but I'm OK with that. It's grass-fed and great tasting. The kids like it too. I just call it 'roast' and they haven't balked, yet. I'm not super stoked that it is shipped 1/2 way around the planet, but that's not really something I can change.
where are you getting the lamb from or did I miss that?
thechemist is offline  
Old 01-30-14, 01:05 PM
  #40  
Wheelsuck
 
Fat Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thechemist
where are you getting the lamb from or did I miss that?
The local Sprout's Market.
Fat Boy is offline  
Old 01-30-14, 01:06 PM
  #41  
Senior Member
 
bmontgomery87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Roanoke, Va
Posts: 997

Bikes: 2013 leader 721. 2015 leader 725. 2012 fuji feather

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fat Boy
Anyway, how is someone supposed to eat Chinese food without some rice?
I do stir fry fairly often, or some beef and broccoli.
I've gotten really into making my own chicken curry at home.
Then I put a ton of rice in the rice cooker with a huge scoop of coconut oil and/or butter.

holds me over for a few days worth of lunches.
bmontgomery87 is offline  
Old 01-30-14, 10:08 PM
  #42  
Senior Member
 
MEversbergII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Lexington Park, Maryland
Posts: 1,262

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
What's wrong with wheat (apart from the 6% of the population with which it's incompatible)?
Empty calories.

M.
MEversbergII is offline  
Old 01-31-14, 12:44 AM
  #43  
Senior Member
 
elcruxio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Turku, Finland, Europe
Posts: 2,443

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 203 Posts
Originally Posted by Fat Boy
If you're looking to put carbs in your diet (say, for a long ride), there are a lot of options that will provide those same carbs along with a good chunk of other nutrients. Wheat is not a very good source of anything other than calories.

I personally feel that gluten causes a lot of problems that are not necessarily related to celiac, but that's a debatable point, so I don't necessarily want to put that on others. What is an easy thing to see is that there are other better options.
Originally Posted by Fat Boy
I'm actually OK with rice, especially white rice. If you're looking to get some carbs without any 'bad stuff' (anti-nutrients, gut irritants, whatever terminology you want to use) then I think it's a pretty good option. You don't really get any nutrients from rice, so I'd see it more as a side dish.

Anyway, how is someone supposed to eat Chinese food without some rice?
This whole anti nutrient thing with wheat is seriously overblown. Whole wheat does not have detrmiental effects if you eat something else with it. Nor do beans, which contain neuro toxins. Nor does milk, which also detriments the absorbtion of nutrients. If you want to eat "clean" without all the "anti nutrients" you are in a position where you can't actually eat anything (you absolutely cannot eat anything plant based with the whole wheat argument)
We're talking of harmful substances in so small concentrations that even worrying about them is a bit simple. I mean yeah, if you eat white flour or just a certain kind of pea or just drink milk you might face some effects, but seriously, who does that?

Wheat acting as a stomach irritant has not been proven, nor is it actually suggested as a viable possibility (irritable bowl syndrome aside, but IBS can be affected by practically anything and is not limited to just grain products). I get the feeling that mostly bloating and irritable bowel has more to do with abuse of starchy food in general than wheat. I mean, you stuff your face with massive amounts of white bread, rice, pasta etc. and when you stop doing that by "cutting gluten" you suddenly feel better. How is that I wonder...

In fact it has beem shown by science that the coarse fibers in whole wheat (and of course other grains) have beneficial effects on the digestive system. It's funny how the one paleo dude misquoted one study in his book saying the coarse fibers "rip" the intestinal walls and cause added mucal discharge and that is a bad thing. It's true that the fibers do rip the intestine and cause mucus to form, but the actual researcher felt that it was actually a very good thing this happens.

About the whole empty calorie thing. Gels are empty calories, and rice, and white bread etc. You can find a ton of empty calorie sources but whole grains are not one of them. They do actually contain quite good amounts of vitamins and fiber in a tight packed starchy form. I mean, yes, you could eat a few pounds of broccoli on a ride to get the carbs, nutrients and fiber and get the carbs needed, or you could eat a few whole wheat jam sandwiches and get the carbs in a much tighter delicious package. Or gels (although I hate the taste of gels. blech)
Then again Allen Lim suggests that potatoes are good for riding food as they have a high glycemic index and load (as does sweet potato, but sweet potato is a bit more cumbersome to prepare)
elcruxio is online now  
Old 01-31-14, 11:13 AM
  #44  
Wheelsuck
 
Fat Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
This whole anti nutrient thing with wheat is seriously overblown. Whole wheat does not have detrmiental effects if you eat something else with it.

About the whole empty calorie thing. Gels are empty calories, and rice, and white bread etc. You can find a ton of empty calorie sources but whole grains are not one of them. They do actually contain quite good amounts of vitamins and fiber in a tight packed starchy form. I mean, yes, you could eat a few pounds of broccoli on a ride to get the carbs, nutrients and fiber and get the carbs needed, or you could eat a few whole wheat jam sandwiches and get the carbs in a much tighter delicious package. Or gels (although I hate the taste of gels. blech)
Then again Allen Lim suggests that potatoes are good for riding food as they have a high glycemic index and load (as does sweet potato, but sweet potato is a bit more cumbersome to prepare)
I tried to take it easy on the wheat thing. I know I have my own personal bug-a-boos and I'm not necessarily interested in putting that on anyone else. A good portion of the positives due to eliminating gluten are anecdotal and anyone who wants can educate themselves and make a personal decision to whatever works best for them.

'Empty' calories are not necessarily a bad thing. If you're looking to get some carbs in your diet for a hard workout, I think you could do a lot worse than rice or potatoes. For me, I seem to work better with starches as opposed to just sugars.
Fat Boy is offline  
Old 01-31-14, 11:19 AM
  #45  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fat Boy
FWIW, my Saturday pre-ride breakfast is a bunch of sweet potato (~500-600 grams). I mix in cinnamon, ground ginger, some maca root, a sprinkle of chopped walnuts, a scoop of vanilla whey and a pour of coconut milk. It's a big breakfast. It ends up to be about 85-100 grams of starch/sugar, 30-35 grams of protein and bit of fat. It's maybe 750 calories or so. It pretty much powers me for a 4+ hour ride.
Can you post a guide/recipe for this? It sounds delicious.
1748357 is offline  
Old 01-31-14, 11:30 AM
  #46  
Wheelsuck
 
Fat Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1748357
Can you post a guide/recipe for this? It sounds delicious.
Well, it's pretty much as I've written. I generally wrap 2 big sweet potatoes in foil and bake them the night before. I'll stick them in the fridge until the next morning. I put them in a bowl and mash them up. I just stick the stuff that I mentioned (plus some salt, I guess), all together with no particular measurements. I stick it in the microwave for 4-5 minutes to get it hot and mix it up until it's kind of an oatmeal consistency. I like it, but I'm a weirdo. YMMV.
Fat Boy is offline  
Old 01-31-14, 06:37 PM
  #47  
Senior Member
 
MEversbergII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Lexington Park, Maryland
Posts: 1,262

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Fat Boy
Well, it's pretty much as I've written. I generally wrap 2 big sweet potatoes in foil and bake them the night before. I'll stick them in the fridge until the next morning. I put them in a bowl and mash them up. I just stick the stuff that I mentioned (plus some salt, I guess), all together with no particular measurements. I stick it in the microwave for 4-5 minutes to get it hot and mix it up until it's kind of an oatmeal consistency. I like it, but I'm a weirdo. YMMV.
If that makes you weird, I am also weird. Sweet potato is awesome.

M.
MEversbergII is offline  
Old 01-31-14, 06:42 PM
  #48  
Wheelsuck
 
Fat Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MEversbergII
If that makes you weird, I am also weird. Sweet potato is awesome.

M.
Ever tried these? https://www.stokesfoods.com/product.htm Abso-feakin'-lutely delicious.
Fat Boy is offline  
Old 01-31-14, 07:02 PM
  #49  
Senior Member
 
MEversbergII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Lexington Park, Maryland
Posts: 1,262

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
I've had them in chip form, years back. I -think- one of my local ethnic junk food dealers* sells them; should add it to my shopping list.

M.

* In spite of having four "Asian" markets and a Mexican grocer within 5 miles of each other, most of their stock overlaps and consists of packaged junk food. Thus, I don't feel the urge to shop there much.
MEversbergII is offline  
Old 01-31-14, 07:57 PM
  #50  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mississauga/Toronto, Ontario canada
Posts: 8,721

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,284 Posts
Originally Posted by Fat Boy
Well, it's pretty much as I've written. I generally wrap 2 big sweet potatoes in foil and bake them the night before. I'll stick them in the fridge until the next morning. I put them in a bowl and mash them up. I just stick the stuff that I mentioned (plus some salt, I guess), all together with no particular measurements. I stick it in the microwave for 4-5 minutes to get it hot and mix it up until it's kind of an oatmeal consistency. I like it, but I'm a weirdo. YMMV.
I prepare sweet potatoes by cutting them into 1/4 inch slices and then I steam them for few minutes until tender. Then I mash them with lots of butter or some other healthy fat. I never peel them before cooking, I eat them with skin and everything. Sweet potatoes are a huge part of my diet , I like them a lot, they are very filling.
wolfchild is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.