Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Learned a hard lesson

Old 05-13-14, 08:39 PM
  #1  
El Cid
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Waterloo, ON
Posts: 433

Bikes: Surly Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Learned a hard lesson

So over the Easter weekend, I decided to bike from Waterloo, ON, to Sarnia. The ride is about 200km (130 miles), and took most of the day. I felt pretty good, and did the same thing going home. The trip home was actually much faster -- I realized that I could push harder and take hours off the trip (on the way there I was saving my energy, not knowing how long I'd be riding or weather I'd totally crash).

Sunday night I went to bed feeling tired, but not too bad. Then monday morning I got up to go swimming in the morning and realized my right knee really, really friggin' hurt! At first I didn't associate it with the ride; I assumed I must have hurt my knee some other way.

Fast forward to yesterday, when I just got back from a visit to a sports medicine clinic. The doctor told me I was lucky it wasn't far worse -- apparently it's a bad idea to go from zero to century in a weekend. So now I have an appointment for a proper bike fitting, and a specific plan for building back up to long distance riding.

My vacation I was planning is going to be cancelled now, and I won't be doing it until next year. I guess that's better than being stuck in Arizona, calling for help with a loaded bike permanently messed up knee.
El Cid is offline  
Old 05-14-14, 05:07 AM
  #2  
sprince
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 888
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
apparently it's a bad idea to go from zero to century in a weekend
Are you saying you did 260 miles in a weekend, but normally don't ride at all?
sprince is offline  
Old 05-14-14, 05:28 AM
  #3  
bmontgomery87
Senior Member
 
bmontgomery87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Roanoke, Va
Posts: 999

Bikes: 2013 leader 721. 2015 leader 725. 2012 fuji feather

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^This.

That's a lot of mileage. I had a similar issue when I took a longer ride during the winter after not being on the bike much. My knee hurt for two weeks.
bmontgomery87 is offline  
Old 05-14-14, 06:33 AM
  #4  
GeorgeBMac
Senior Member
 
GeorgeBMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,061

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
So over the Easter weekend, I decided to bike from Waterloo, ON, to Sarnia. The ride is about 200km (130 miles), and took most of the day. I felt pretty good, and did the same thing going home. The trip home was actually much faster -- I realized that I could push harder and take hours off the trip (on the way there I was saving my energy, not knowing how long I'd be riding or weather I'd totally crash).

Sunday night I went to bed feeling tired, but not too bad. Then monday morning I got up to go swimming in the morning and realized my right knee really, really friggin' hurt! At first I didn't associate it with the ride; I assumed I must have hurt my knee some other way.

Fast forward to yesterday, when I just got back from a visit to a sports medicine clinic. The doctor told me I was lucky it wasn't far worse -- apparently it's a bad idea to go from zero to century in a weekend. So now I have an appointment for a proper bike fitting, and a specific plan for building back up to long distance riding.

My vacation I was planning is going to be cancelled now, and I won't be doing it until next year. I guess that's better than being stuck in Arizona, calling for help with a loaded bike permanently messed up knee.
Too often muscle & tendon issues are confused with more structural bone & cartilage issues -- and the orthopedists do not help the situation. Did he take X-Rays or an MRI to find out just what was causing the pain -- or was he guessing?
GeorgeBMac is offline  
Old 05-14-14, 06:55 AM
  #5  
BigAura
 
BigAura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chapin, SC
Posts: 3,395

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by sprince View Post
Are you saying you did 260 miles in a weekend, but normally don't ride at all?
If this is true, I'll make two guesses about the OP: he's fit and young, he didn't ride the Krampus.
BigAura is offline  
Old 05-14-14, 08:42 AM
  #6  
sprince
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 888
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac View Post
Too often muscle & tendon issues are confused with more structural bone & cartilage issues -- and the orthopedists do not help the situation. Did he take X-Rays or an MRI to find out just what was causing the pain -- or was he guessing?
I can guess the diagnosis without scans. And I'd hope the doctor told suggested ice, ibuprofen and using a little more common sense the next time, rather than wasting money on tests.

Last edited by sprince; 05-14-14 at 08:44 AM. Reason: error
sprince is offline  
Old 05-14-14, 10:32 AM
  #7  
El Cid
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Waterloo, ON
Posts: 433

Bikes: Surly Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAura View Post
If this is true, I'll make two guesses about the OP: he's fit and young, he didn't ride the Krampus.
Well I'm 37, but I've always kept in good shape. Usually I do an hour workout in the pool before work, and I work out on the weights in the evening. Cycling as a sport, though, is a new thing for me; I usually just do a five mile commute to work.

And you're right, I didn't ride the Krampus there, but the Allez.

Last edited by El Cid; 05-14-14 at 10:35 AM.
El Cid is offline  
Old 05-14-14, 04:42 PM
  #8  
BigAura
 
BigAura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chapin, SC
Posts: 3,395

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
Well I'm 37, but I've always kept in good shape. Usually I do an hour workout in the pool before work, and I work out on the weights in the evening. Cycling as a sport, though, is a new thing for me; I usually just do a five mile commute to work.

And you're right, I didn't ride the Krampus there, but the Allez.
I knew you had to be generally fit, otherwise you could never have done it. Too bad you're 37 because the healing process will take longer than if you were 20. Especially when it comes to recovery, aging is a bitter pill. I and many others have fallen into the trap of being fit and then over-extending using activity-specific body parts. Anyhow, feel better and heal well.

Last edited by BigAura; 05-14-14 at 04:45 PM.
BigAura is offline  
Old 05-14-14, 05:47 PM
  #9  
El Cid
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Waterloo, ON
Posts: 433

Bikes: Surly Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAura View Post
I knew you had to be generally fit, otherwise you could never have done it. Too bad you're 37 because the healing process will take longer than if you were 20. Especially when it comes to recovery, aging is a bitter pill. I and many others have fallen into the trap of being fit and then over-extending using activity-specific body parts. Anyhow, feel better and heal well.
Yeah, I knew I could handle eight hours or more of exertion. I just didn't stop to think I might overdo it on one knee. The pain only lasted about a week though; seeing a doctor wasn't about diagnosing an injury so much as getting some direction for a training program so I don't do this again.

I have this sinking feeling that I'll be stuck here for life, never able to do a truly long distance ride because I have a knee that always complains. I hope not.
El Cid is offline  
Old 05-14-14, 06:01 PM
  #10  
BigAura
 
BigAura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chapin, SC
Posts: 3,395

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
I have this sinking feeling that I'll be stuck here for life, never able to do a truly long distance ride because I have a knee that always complains. I hope not.
Unlikely that it'll last forever. Rest it up and then build slowly. There are plenty of training guides for doing centuries.
BigAura is offline  
Old 05-14-14, 06:45 PM
  #11  
GeorgeBMac
Senior Member
 
GeorgeBMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,061

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
Yeah, I knew I could handle eight hours or more of exertion. I just didn't stop to think I might overdo it on one knee. The pain only lasted about a week though; seeing a doctor wasn't about diagnosing an injury so much as getting some direction for a training program so I don't do this again.

I have this sinking feeling that I'll be stuck here for life, never able to do a truly long distance ride because I have a knee that always complains. I hope not.
I over stressed something in my knee last fall -- actually something about 2 inches below the knee and to the inside...

I ended up with PT where they focused on stretching and strengthening. Both the stretches and strengthening exercises are done on a mat and work all for sides of both thighs. The stretching is done with a towel or band to pull the leg up, then stretched over to the right then over to the left and finally on my belly to pull the foot up to my butt and stretch the frontal quads. The strengthening is done using 30 reps on each of the four sides using ankle weights while I lift the leg 30 reps in each of the four directions.

Haven't had even a twinge since...
GeorgeBMac is offline  
Old 05-14-14, 07:57 PM
  #12  
sprince
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 888
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
Yeah, I knew I could handle eight hours or more of exertion. I just didn't stop to think I might overdo it on one knee. The pain only lasted about a week though; seeing a doctor wasn't about diagnosing an injury so much as getting some direction for a training program so I don't do this again.

I have this sinking feeling that I'll be stuck here for life, never able to do a truly long distance ride because I have a knee that always complains. I hope not.
That fact that you recovered in a week from that would indicate to me that doing the same ride again, with adequate preparation, should be no problem at all for the knee.
sprince is offline  
Old 05-14-14, 09:10 PM
  #13  
El Cid
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Waterloo, ON
Posts: 433

Bikes: Surly Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sprince View Post
That fact that you recovered in a week from that would indicate to me that doing the same ride again, with adequate preparation, should be no problem at all for the knee.
Its encouraging to hear that. My appointment for a professional bike fit is yet to come, and with that and a pair of cleats, I'll just follow my training plan. I'm expecting to be back up to those distances within about six months of regular training. If I start now I may be able to get in on next year's Frosty Bottom.
El Cid is offline  
Old 05-26-14, 08:08 PM
  #14  
koffee brown
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 604
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a little confused. You were seeing a doctor to see how to develop your training plan. You're getting a professional bike fit. You overdid a ride over one weekend, and the pain in the knee is gone? I take it you did the RICE? Then.... unless you're a newbie who's out of shape and don't normally ever ride, I don't see why you can't repeat that ride sooner than later. 6 months seems like a way long time to build up to that kind of riding, provided you're in shape.

Always remember- RICE really does work. I assume your training will include knee strengthening exercises, including joint stabilization exercises? And you'll be working on building your mileage? What's your starting point on what you can do now?

koffee
__________________
i'm koffee brown, dammit!
one of my new faves: http://streetknocknetwork.com
koffee brown is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.