Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

What are your favorite supplements?

Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

What are your favorite supplements?

Old 05-15-14, 06:03 PM
  #1  
NutriLogic 
NutriLogic.net
Thread Starter
 
NutriLogic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: South Florida
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What are your favorite supplements?

As some of you can probably imagine, we generally cater to fitness enthusiasts that you'll find in your local gyms, cross-fit centers, ect. However, as mentioned in my first post, you guys are not strangers to supplements and a quality diet. Kind of why I figured it would make sense to support this forum and offer the members a service and a place to find their favorite supplements.

With that being said, what do you guys typically take, or stack most commonly? We are introducing what are being called "NutriStax" which are packages of supplements geared towards certain goals. It will help you narrow down products and avoid searching through hundreds of products, not to mention save money. I'd like to make a "BikeForum Favorite Stack" just for you guys...

Let me know what you guys think!
__________________
NutriLogic.net - 888-634-9997
BikeForum Exclusive Discounts
NutriLogic is offline  
Old 05-15-14, 06:23 PM
  #2  
Weatherby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 548

Bikes: Too many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
EPO, DMSO, T, Clem, the normal stack stuff.

I have a whole slew of supplements. Good multivitamin, Magnesium Taurate, BCCA, Selenium, Zinc/copper, Actyl L-Carnitine, ALA, NAC, Nacin, C, Echinacia, Rhodeola Rosaia, Tumaric, Ubuiquinol, CoQ10, Fish oils, etc, etc.
Weatherby is offline  
Old 05-15-14, 06:24 PM
  #3  
Machka 
In Real Life
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 51,388

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2848 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by NutriLogic View Post
As some of you can probably imagine, we generally cater to fitness enthusiasts that you'll find in your local gyms, cross-fit centers, ect. However, as mentioned in my first post, you guys are not strangers to supplements and a quality diet. Kind of why I figured it would make sense to support this forum and offer the members a service and a place to find their favorite supplements.

With that being said, what do you guys typically take, or stack most commonly? We are introducing what are being called "NutriStax" which are packages of supplements geared towards certain goals. It will help you narrow down products and avoid searching through hundreds of products, not to mention save money. I'd like to make a "BikeForum Favorite Stack" just for you guys...

Let me know what you guys think!

Nothing beats Real Food.


One of my favourites is Salted Almonds.
Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Nuts, almonds, dry roasted, with salt added
Protein
Fat
Some carbohydrates
A few vitamins
Lots and lots of minerals ... you've got your electrolytes covered with salted almonds.

Another good choice are Dried Apricots.
Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Apricots, dried, sulfured, uncooked
Carbohydrates
A few vitamins
Several minerals but especially potassium which is one of the electrolytes.
Bananas are good too, but the dried apricots have more potassium.
Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Bananas, raw
Machka is offline  
Old 05-15-14, 06:45 PM
  #4  
NutriLogic 
NutriLogic.net
Thread Starter
 
NutriLogic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: South Florida
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka View Post
Nothing beats Real Food.

Completely agree. Supplements should be exactly what's in the name. You can either supplement your well balanced diet, or get nutrients such as branched chain amino acids and protein from a more convenient source. Which is the point of this thread.

Also, almonds are an incomplete protein source. Their amino acid profile is too low to be considered complete.
__________________
NutriLogic.net - 888-634-9997
BikeForum Exclusive Discounts
NutriLogic is offline  
Old 05-15-14, 06:46 PM
  #5  
NutriLogic 
NutriLogic.net
Thread Starter
 
NutriLogic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: South Florida
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Weatherby View Post
EPO, DMSO, T, Clem, the normal stack stuff.

I have a whole slew of supplements. Good multivitamin, Magnesium Taurate, BCCA, Selenium, Zinc/copper, Actyl L-Carnitine, ALA, NAC, Nacin, C, Echinacia, Rhodeola Rosaia, Tumaric, Ubuiquinol, CoQ10, Fish oils, etc, etc.
Awesome. I'll throw some of those into consideration. Some of which I already had in mind.
__________________
NutriLogic.net - 888-634-9997
BikeForum Exclusive Discounts
NutriLogic is offline  
Old 05-15-14, 07:05 PM
  #6  
wolfchild
Senior Member
 
wolfchild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mississauga/Toronto, Ontario canada
Posts: 5,525

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1318 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
I have experimented with a few different supplements. Didn't notice any difference in my performance or well-being...I am a big believer in getting nutrients from "real food" and I am not a big fan of taking isolated nutrients which have been removed from food and made into pills and powders...If other people get great results from supplements , then that's great, I have nothing against that. I just feel no need to take them.
wolfchild is offline  
Old 05-15-14, 07:09 PM
  #7  
NutriLogic 
NutriLogic.net
Thread Starter
 
NutriLogic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: South Florida
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild View Post
I have experimented with a few different supplements. Didn't notice any difference in my performance or well-being...I am a big believer in getting nutrients from "real food" and I am not a big fan of taking isolated nutrients which have been removed from food and made into pills and powders...If other people get great results from supplements , then that's great, I have nothing against that. I just feel no need to take them.
I'm interested in knowing what you've experimented with, if you mind sharing. Keep in mind, not all supplements are derived from food. Many of them are forms of herbs, or plant based. One that would benefit the cycling community for example is Cissus.
__________________
NutriLogic.net - 888-634-9997
BikeForum Exclusive Discounts
NutriLogic is offline  
Old 05-15-14, 07:27 PM
  #8  
Machka 
In Real Life
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 51,388

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2848 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by NutriLogic View Post
Completely agree. Supplements should be exactly what's in the name. You can either supplement your well balanced diet, or get nutrients such as branched chain amino acids and protein from a more convenient source. Which is the point of this thread.

Also, almonds are an incomplete protein source. Their amino acid profile is too low to be considered complete.
I'm not suggesting that almonds be the only protein source a person should eat. I'm just suggesting that they are a good choice for a mid-ride snack. Throughout North America, you can often pick up a small packet of salted almonds at most convenience stores for about $1-2. They're not quite as easy to find here in Australia, but most grocery stores will have them.

So they're not only a choice that will provide you with lots of nutrients which are beneficial for cycling, but they are also convenient to eat, relatively easy to find, and reasonably inexpensive.

[HR][/HR]

Have you done a search on the word 'supplement' here in the Training and Nutrition forum? There are heaps of threads on this topic, many with the same or similar subject line as this one. They might give you some idea of the opinions and thoughts on supplements among cyclists here.
Machka is offline  
Old 05-15-14, 07:33 PM
  #9  
NutriLogic 
NutriLogic.net
Thread Starter
 
NutriLogic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: South Florida
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka View Post
I'm not suggesting that almonds be the only protein source a person should eat. I'm just suggesting that they are a good choice for a mid-ride snack. Throughout North America, you can often pick up a small packet of salted almonds at most convenience stores for about $1-2. They're not quite as easy to find here in Australia, but most grocery stores will have them.

So they're not only a choice that will provide you with lots of nutrients which are beneficial for cycling, but they are also convenient to eat, relatively easy to find, and reasonably inexpensive.

[HR][/HR]

Have you done a search on the word 'supplement' here in the Training and Nutrition forum? There are heaps of threads on this topic, many with the same or similar subject line as this one. They might give you some idea of the opinions and thoughts on supplements among cyclists here.
Still completely agree with you. I was just clearing up any possible misconception should someone expect to rely on most nuts for a viable source of usable protein.
__________________
NutriLogic.net - 888-634-9997
BikeForum Exclusive Discounts
NutriLogic is offline  
Old 05-16-14, 05:26 AM
  #10  
GeorgeBMac
Senior Member
 
GeorgeBMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,061

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka View Post
Nothing beats Real Food.


One of my favourites is Salted Almonds.
Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Nuts, almonds, dry roasted, with salt added
Protein
Fat
Some carbohydrates
A few vitamins
Lots and lots of minerals ... you've got your electrolytes covered with salted almonds.

Another good choice are Dried Apricots.
Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Apricots, dried, sulfured, uncooked
Carbohydrates
A few vitamins
Several minerals but especially potassium which is one of the electrolytes.
Bananas are good too, but the dried apricots have more potassium.
Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Bananas, raw
We could quibble on the specifics -- but I completely agree on the overall point here.

As Nutrilogic agrees, supplements should be supplements.

For myself:

I take CoQ10 to compensate for its depletion caused by taking statin. But, I found that the typical doses of that supplement were too low. I had to take 200 mg twice daily to get enough and keep enough in my system to have the strength I needed. But for the last 6 months I have not been taking the statin and, depending on what my cardiologist says, may stop it permanently. If I do, then I will evaluate the CoQ10 to replace age related deficiencies (I am 63).

Also, I take vitamin D3 to compensate for both low dietary intake as well as low blood levels of that vitamin.

Finally, I take a multi-vitamin with minerals as a general insurance policy. But, frankly I am not too fussy about which one I take -- I look at them more as a generic commodity rather than some miracle drug...
GeorgeBMac is offline  
Old 05-16-14, 05:43 AM
  #11  
Machka 
In Real Life
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 51,388

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2848 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac View Post
We could quibble on the specifics -- but I completely agree on the overall point here.

As Nutrilogic agrees, supplements should be supplements.

For myself:

I take CoQ10 to compensate for its depletion caused by taking statin. But, I found that the typical doses of that supplement were too low. I had to take 200 mg twice daily to get enough and keep enough in my system to have the strength I needed. But for the last 6 months I have not been taking the statin and, depending on what my cardiologist says, may stop it permanently. If I do, then I will evaluate the CoQ10 to replace age related deficiencies (I am 63).

Also, I take vitamin D3 to compensate for both low dietary intake as well as low blood levels of that vitamin.

Finally, I take a multi-vitamin with minerals as a general insurance policy. But, frankly I am not too fussy about which one I take -- I look at them more as a generic commodity rather than some miracle drug...

I take several vitamins and minerals too ... but not for cycling purposes. Or at least not directly.

And I'm happy with the selection at Chemist Warehouse.


For cycling purposes, however, I rarely use supplements ... I prefer getting my energy and nutrients from real food. The only thing I use are electrolyte tablets on long rides (100K+). I rarely even use energy drinks anymore ... I've kind of gone off them. The only "energy drinks" I've used lately are coke or iced tea mid-ride ... and on two long rides this year, a bit of maltodextrin added to my water.
Machka is offline  
Old 05-16-14, 06:01 AM
  #12  
sprince
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 888
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Siberian Ginseng, chocolate and caffeine pre-workout, and a generic multi-vitamin every morning just for insurance. I briefly tried the more exotic (legal) stuff years ago when powerlifting. Some of it did work surprisingly well, but I didn't care for the side effects.
sprince is offline  
Old 05-16-14, 06:30 AM
  #13  
Machka 
In Real Life
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 51,388

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2848 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by sprince View Post
chocolate and caffeine
Now that's a supplement combination I use just about every day.
Machka is offline  
Old 05-16-14, 08:05 AM
  #14  
Jared.
Uninformed Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Union County, NJ
Posts: 1,117

Bikes: Dolan Pre Cursa, Cannondale R400

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Multivitamin, fish oil, vitamin D3 - AM
Fish oil, vitamin D3, mag/calcium/zinc - PM
Jared. is offline  
Old 05-16-14, 10:27 AM
  #15  
Looigi
Senior Member
 
Looigi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 8,951
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Soylent? Soylent - Free Your Body
Looigi is offline  
Old 05-16-14, 11:40 AM
  #16  
bmontgomery87
Senior Member
 
bmontgomery87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Roanoke, Va
Posts: 999

Bikes: 2013 leader 721. 2015 leader 725. 2012 fuji feather

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like creatine monohydrate. Plain or flavored. doesn't really matter as long as the price is reasonable.
I also take a pre-workout on a regular basis before lifting or longer rides, and drink some during the ride, mixed with creatine and BCAAs.

I occasionally have a protein shake.
bmontgomery87 is offline  
Old 05-16-14, 11:40 AM
  #17  
CanadianBiker32
Senior Member
 
CanadianBiker32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 829

Bikes: Maxim, Rocky Mountain, Argon 18, Cervelo S2 Team

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HAmmer Nutrition
CanadianBiker32 is offline  
Old 05-16-14, 11:45 AM
  #18  
Northwestrider
Senior Member
 
Northwestrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Gig Harbor, WA
Posts: 2,470

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
B 12, C, and an occasional aspirin , thats about it.
Northwestrider is offline  
Old 05-16-14, 01:48 PM
  #19  
NutriLogic 
NutriLogic.net
Thread Starter
 
NutriLogic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: South Florida
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the feedback so far, guys. Keep em coming
__________________
NutriLogic.net - 888-634-9997
BikeForum Exclusive Discounts
NutriLogic is offline  
Old 05-16-14, 02:55 PM
  #20  
wolfchild
Senior Member
 
wolfchild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mississauga/Toronto, Ontario canada
Posts: 5,525

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1318 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by NutriLogic View Post
I'm interested in knowing what you've experimented with, if you mind sharing. Keep in mind, not all supplements are derived from food. Many of them are forms of herbs, or plant based. One that would benefit the cycling community for example is Cissus.
Aside from cycling I also train with weights and do few other things... I've tried different types of protein powders, multivitamin/mineral pills, creatine and herbal supplements. To be honest, of all the supplements I've tried creatine is the only one that made a little bit of difference when lifting and I've also experienced a little bit of weight gain and bulk from taking it. The only reason I stopped taking creatine is because I include red meat in my diet which is a good source of creatine.
wolfchild is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.