Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Best indoor training sessions in your experience

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Best indoor training sessions in your experience

Old 11-04-14, 12:04 PM
  #1  
rolla102
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best indoor training sessions in your experience

I have just started having a go on the turbo so I can have a good winter, last winter I did pretty much nothing but made some good performance gains during the summer so i want to start next summer in a better position, so far I have juat done a couple tabata sessions of 10 min warm up then 10 rounds of 20secs hard effort with 10secs reat followed by 5-10 min warm down.

In your opinion/from your experience what are the most effective sessions or training plans to see you through winter starting next season in a better position?
rolla102 is offline  
Old 11-04-14, 05:06 PM
  #2  
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling
 
Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 16,511

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2462 Post(s)
Liked 531 Times in 387 Posts
It all depends on how much time you have available and your ability to use the trainer without going nuts. There are people on here who've done centuries on their trainer in the winter. Other folks start to crack in 30 minutes. Some folks need a cycling video for stimulation. Some folks really like subscribing to trainerroad and using a laptop. I just use loud rock music.

If you just absolutely hate it, then HIIT is the way to go. Many routines to choose from, so mix it up. Google "cycling hiit"

I use rollers so I don't get so bored. In winter, I focus on the fundamentals: pedaling circles and endurance. I don't start doing intense intervals until maybe February. For me, winter is the time to lay a strong foundation. So I don't get sick of riding the rollers, I also go to the gym and work the Stairway To Hell, better known as the StepMill, and lift weights. I have the advantage of living somewhere that it rains a lot in winter but seldom snows or freezes, so I get out once a week for a 3 hour hard group ride. I don't think that not having that ride would change my approach to winter training, though.

What I do on a sample week (gotta have a computer with cadence):
Monday: off

Tuesday: hour or more of rollers, zone 1, containing 15'-45' of high cadence drill staying in zone 2, 115-120 cadence continuously. It takes time to build the ability to do this. It's difficult, but that's why I do it. Then go to the gym and lift weights. I'll do this until February, then I'll switch and have 15'-45' of 2' one-legged pedaling intervals. 2' right, 2' left, 2' legs together, repeat until the time's up or my legs don't work anymore. I alternate 50-55 cadence and 80-85 cadence and use as much gear as my legs will allow. HR not important.

Wednesday: hour on the StepMill, zone 3. About December, I'll move my hour of zone 2 on the rollers to this day.

Thursday: Hour on the rollers, zone 2. About December, I'll start doing zone 3 intervals this day, starting with 2 X 15' and gradually increasing to 2 X 30', 70 cadence, warming up and cooling down in zone 2 at 85+ cadence. Lift weights at the gym after.

Friday: 30'-45' zone 2 on the Stepmill. All winter.

Saturday: I might do a 3 hour group ride or take off, depending on the weather and how I feel. If I didn't have a group ride on Sunday, I'd do 1-1.5 hours of zone 2 on the rollers, and lift weights at the gym after if I wasn't too tired.

Sunday: 3+ hour group ride. If I didn't have that, I'd repeat the Thursday workout.

Sometimes I can get out to ski during the day on Thursday. If I ski, I come home and still do my usual workouts.

If I feel like I need more work, I'll get up early and do 30' of zone 1 on the rollers before breakfast every day.

Faves? I need them all, but the Tuesday workouts and the Thursday zone 3 interval workouts are really stimulating.

Last edited by Carbonfiberboy; 11-04-14 at 05:19 PM.
Carbonfiberboy is offline  
Old 11-04-14, 07:26 PM
  #3  
Machka 
In Real Life
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 51,914

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 138 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3121 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by rolla102 View Post
In your opinion/from your experience what are the most effective sessions or training plans to see you through winter starting next season in a better position?
Personally, I like spinning classes. Not all spinning classes are created equal, and you can occasionally end up with poor instructors, but for the most part they are what you make of them ... and you don't have to do everything they say, you can do your own thing now and then if you prefer.

That said, I like them because they get me out of the house and into the gym. I've got an instructor taking a room full of people through a training session ... and I can make it as hard or as easy as I want. The time passes quickly and I usually feel like I've had quite a workout. The instructor also takes us through some stretching at the end which is something I need.

Then, because I'm at the gym, I can use the treadmill, rowing machine and/or weights to add to the workout.


When I'm on the trainer at home, my favourite workout are commercial intervals ... I watch a show I like on a channel that has commercials. I ride easy during the show, and when the commericial comes on, I ride as hard as I can for the duration of the commerical break. 30 or 60 minutes goes by in no time.
Machka is offline  
Old 11-05-14, 07:08 AM
  #4  
rolla102
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok cool some good ideas there. I just tried a youtube cycling video where it gives you effort levels to give for intervals which was good and i managed to not get too bored! As for gym workouts i do have a gym membership(money wasted at the moment) anr used to do alot of body building and strength programs and saw a surge in explosive power but with that comes a fair bot of weight gain so I think i'm gonna go back soon for roughly 2 days a week and just do a full body workout finished up with a full core routine.

My rough plan at the moment is keep doing sessions on the turbo to lose a bit of weight and then do a more tailored routine after christmas which should hopefully put me in a good place next summer. All this will be with rides out on the bike aswell when i have time
rolla102 is offline  
Old 11-06-14, 08:14 AM
  #5  
DaveLeeNC
Senior Member
 
DaveLeeNC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pinehurst, NC, US
Posts: 1,492

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy View Post
SNIP

I use rollers so I don't get so bored.

SNIP
I have to admit that getting up off the ground and remounting rollers maybe once every 90 seconds is not boring

I do around half my cycling on an indoor spinner bike. I like it better for speed work than a real bike, but otherwise (beyond weather implications) a real bike is better. Typically 90 minutes is the most that I want to do indoors. I mix in music, all kinds of stuff on television, occasional cycling or Youtube videos, etc.

Years ago I ran through 2 hours of a U of Kentucky/Florida basketball game on a treadmill. UK won :-)

dave
DaveLeeNC is offline  
Old 11-06-14, 11:55 AM
  #6  
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling
 
Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 16,511

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2462 Post(s)
Liked 531 Times in 387 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveLeeNC View Post
I have to admit that getting up off the ground and remounting rollers maybe once every 90 seconds is not boring

I do around half my cycling on an indoor spinner bike. I like it better for speed work than a real bike, but otherwise (beyond weather implications) a real bike is better. Typically 90 minutes is the most that I want to do indoors. I mix in music, all kinds of stuff on television, occasional cycling or Youtube videos, etc.

Years ago I ran through 2 hours of a U of Kentucky/Florida basketball game on a treadmill. UK won :-)

dave
I've fallen off three times in 15+ years. I like that thing about having to pay attention. Focuses the mind on the business at hand. And you get way smooth.

Our gym used to have a spin class at a convenient time, so we did that and lifted afterwards. That was something different to do once a week. However, a spin bike is a fixie that's always on the flat. Anyway, it encourages poor pedaling technique. Try standing on a spin bike, then go home and stand on your trainer or rollers with your freewheel bike. Try OLP with both bikes. Not the same.

I found I don't gain muscle weight at the gym if I limit full body workouts to less than 1/2 hour, twice a week, and do the same workout both days. I do however get stronger.
Carbonfiberboy is offline  
Old 11-09-14, 07:23 PM
  #7  
sprince
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 888
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For indoor I tend to use the treadmill at a 30% incline, sometimes with a weighted backpack. It's difficult enough to keep the workout short and I can use the built-in heart rate monitor to make sure I don't over cook. I can't say that it does much more than keep me from loosing cardio fitness when the weather is crap, but it's much better than nothing. Have had better cycling specific results on a spinning bike for 40 minutes at a pop, but it's just too boring for me to keep it up on a consistent basis, even with tv.
sprince is offline  
Old 11-09-14, 08:10 PM
  #8  
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling
 
Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 16,511

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2462 Post(s)
Liked 531 Times in 387 Posts
Originally Posted by sprince View Post
For indoor I tend to use the treadmill at a 30% incline, sometimes with a weighted backpack. It's difficult enough to keep the workout short and I can use the built-in heart rate monitor to make sure I don't over cook. I can't say that it does much more than keep me from loosing cardio fitness when the weather is crap, but it's much better than nothing. Have had better cycling specific results on a spinning bike for 40 minutes at a pop, but it's just too boring for me to keep it up on a consistent basis, even with tv.
I use the StepMill with sort of the same idea. Unfortunately, I have acquired a fairly high pain tolerance and have done 75 minutes of zone 3 on the Stairway to Hell. I always swear I'll never do that again. I look like I've showered with my clothes on. Or maybe went to the demonstration and got my prescription filled. Good times.
Carbonfiberboy is offline  
Old 12-08-14, 06:03 PM
  #9  
hobkirk
Retired dabbler
 
hobkirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Acton, MA (20 miles west of Boston) - GORGEOUS cycling territory!
Posts: 787

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple - 1st ride = century 9/19/2010 , Ultegra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy View Post
It all depends on how much time you have available and your ability to use the trainer without going nuts. There are people on here who've done centuries on their trainer in the winter. Other folks start to crack in 30 minutes. Some folks need a cycling video for stimulation. Some folks really like subscribing to trainerroad and using a laptop. I just use loud rock music.

If you just absolutely hate it, then HIIT is the way to go. Many routines to choose from, so mix it up. Google "cycling hiit"

I use rollers so I don't get so bored. In winter, I focus on the fundamentals: pedaling circles and endurance. I don't start doing intense intervals until maybe February. For me, winter is the time to lay a strong foundation. So I don't get sick of riding the rollers, I also go to the gym and work the Stairway To Hell, better known as the StepMill, and lift weights. I have the advantage of living somewhere that it rains a lot in winter but seldom snows or freezes, so I get out once a week for a 3 hour hard group ride. I don't think that not having that ride would change my approach to winter training, though.

What I do on a sample week (gotta have a computer with cadence):
Monday: off

Tuesday: hour or more of rollers, zone 1, containing 15'-45' of high cadence drill staying in zone 2, 115-120 cadence continuously. It takes time to build the ability to do this. It's difficult, but that's why I do it. Then go to the gym and lift weights. I'll do this until February, then I'll switch and have 15'-45' of 2' one-legged pedaling intervals. 2' right, 2' left, 2' legs together, repeat until the time's up or my legs don't work anymore. I alternate 50-55 cadence and 80-85 cadence and use as much gear as my legs will allow. HR not important.

Wednesday: hour on the StepMill, zone 3. About December, I'll move my hour of zone 2 on the rollers to this day.

Thursday: Hour on the rollers, zone 2. About December, I'll start doing zone 3 intervals this day, starting with 2 X 15' and gradually increasing to 2 X 30', 70 cadence, warming up and cooling down in zone 2 at 85+ cadence. Lift weights at the gym after.

Friday: 30'-45' zone 2 on the Stepmill. All winter.

Saturday: I might do a 3 hour group ride or take off, depending on the weather and how I feel. If I didn't have a group ride on Sunday, I'd do 1-1.5 hours of zone 2 on the rollers, and lift weights at the gym after if I wasn't too tired.

Sunday: 3+ hour group ride. If I didn't have that, I'd repeat the Thursday workout.

Sometimes I can get out to ski during the day on Thursday. If I ski, I come home and still do my usual workouts.

If I feel like I need more work, I'll get up early and do 30' of zone 1 on the rollers before breakfast every day.

Faves? I need them all, but the Tuesday workouts and the Thursday zone 3 interval workouts are really stimulating.
CFB -
It's absolutely amazing! I do the exact same thing! Talk about a small world.

Well, maybe not the whole week, but Monday for sure!

I can feel my conditioning improving just by reading your post.

PS - Skiing is sinful, you know. If you ski, you should do your regular workout before skiing. And afterward, also. Make it a day to remember.

PPS - Excuse me if I've hit you on a rare ill-temper day. I just couldn't resist. Reading your post made me sweat...
hobkirk is offline  
Old 12-08-14, 07:02 PM
  #10  
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling
 
Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 16,511

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2462 Post(s)
Liked 531 Times in 387 Posts
Originally Posted by hobkirk View Post
CFB -
It's absolutely amazing! I do the exact same thing! Talk about a small world.

Well, maybe not the whole week, but Monday for sure!

I can feel my conditioning improving just by reading your post.

PS - Skiing is sinful, you know. If you ski, you should do your regular workout before skiing. And afterward, also. Make it a day to remember.

PPS - Excuse me if I've hit you on a rare ill-temper day. I just couldn't resist. Reading your post made me sweat...
Well . . . last winter I skied on Thursday, quit about 2:30, came back and did a spin class and then if I still had it, I lifted weights but didn't do legs.
Carbonfiberboy is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
DannoXYZ
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
136
09-25-20 10:00 PM
Carbonfiberboy
Training & Nutrition
0
12-23-18 06:31 PM
hambertloot
Training & Nutrition
4
10-04-13 02:49 PM
surgtech1956
Training & Nutrition
2
10-10-11 07:03 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.