Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > United Kingdom
Reload this Page >

What to do in event of accident

United Kingdom United Kingdom

What to do in event of accident

Old 02-15-10, 10:34 AM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What to do in event of accident

Ok so today i had my first real accident that was at the fault of someone else
I was doing a right from a main road and as i moved off to make my turn i was hit from behind by a car , the driver stopped gave me her mobile number said shed pay for repairs etc etc , she also did the one thing i was always told as a driver never to do after an accident which is admit liability but thats beside the point , I also took down the make model and reg number of her car , now obviously at the roadside im a bit shaken so now im home and have had a shower im a bit calmer im thinking what is my best course of action . I wasnt injured seriously in anyway just a few scrapes prob some bruising in the morning .
And the only obvious damage to my bike is a rear buckled wheel im obviously going to take it to the shop and ask them if anything else needs doing but for now im wondering what to do about the driver .
muz379 is offline  
Old 02-15-10, 10:37 AM
Galveston County Texas
10 Wheels's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In The Wind
Posts: 33,254

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked 1,251 Times in 627 Posts
Make a report to the police.

I got hit once and went to the police station.

The officer said, Wow your his fifth accident in 5 months.
Fred "The Real Fred"

10 Wheels is offline  
Old 02-16-10, 07:38 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: London
Posts: 740

Bikes: Mezzo D9, 2012 Giant Avail 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not a lawyer, but here's what I would do.

It was a simple accident, she sounds like she will take responsibility and your claim is probably small. If she can reimburse you for out of pocket expenses without too much fuss, then that is a good result.

As the above commenter said, report the accident.

Get a friend to photograph your injuries and your bike (they can be a witness later, if needed).

See a doctor. It gets your injuries on the record, and he can investigate for any injuries you may not have noticed. A friend who was knocked unconscious in a car accident was noticing further injuries weeks after the initial accident.

Take the bike to a repair shop. Get a written quote. If you are prepared to pay this if she won't, then get it fixed.

For any other damaged property, get an estimated replacement cost.

Write her a polite letter, with the date and time of the accident, the nature and extent of the damage to your property. Attach copies of quotes or receipts or links to prices. If the total amount is reasonable, she may just send you a cheque. Don't mention at this point her admission of liability, it may queer her claim on her insurance. That may affect you if she can't afford it otherwise.

At no point sign anything saying you have no further claims. If you develop problems with a shoulder in a few weeks time, you may want to speak with a solicitor at that point.
jefmcg is offline  
Old 11-24-10, 12:39 AM
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Haderslev. Southern Denmark
Posts: 26

Bikes: 2008 ICE QNT, TREK FX7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do not know what you did with this accident but this may help.

What must a driver involved in a traffic accident do

A driver involved in a traffic accident should stop whether or not the accident was their fault if:-
  • anyone, other than themselves, is injured; or
  • another vehicle, or someone else’s property, is damaged; or
  • an animal in another vehicle or running across the road is injured; or
  • a bollard, street lamp or other item of street furniture is damaged.
If you have to stop, you must remain near the vehicle long enough for anyone who is involved directly or indirectly in the accident to ask for details. This could be, for example, the owner of an injured animal, a relative of someone who is injured, or the police. The driver must then give their name and address, the name and address of the owner of the vehicle (if the driver is not the owner), and the registration number of the vehicle.
The driver may also have to report the accident to a police officer or at a police station, in person, as soon as practicable and in any case within 24 hours. This duty arises whenever the driver has not given their name and address at the scene of the accident, whether or not they were asked to do so.
If any personal injury is caused to another person, the driver must also produce a valid insurance certificate if asked to do so by a police officer, injured person, or anyone else directly or indirectly involved in the accident. If the insurance certificate is asked for, but not produced at the time, the accident must be reported to a police station as soon as practicable, or in any case within 24 hours, and the insurance certificate must be taken to a police station within seven days of the accident. However if the driver is asked at the time of the accident to produce insurance details and does so, there is no further obligation to report the accident to the police, as long as they have complied with the duties described above.
For more information about personal injuries, in England and Wales see Personal injuries, and in Scotland see Personal injuries.
In the case of a damage-only accident, the driver must give insurance details to anyone who may wish to make a claim against them.
In all accidents, drivers should inform their own insurance company.
For more information in England and Wales about making a claim to your insurance company, see Motor insurance in Consumer fact sheets.

My tip if you have an accident is to get a landline number. preferrably 2. A home number and a work number and then ring the work number while they are there in front of you to make sure it is the correct place.

Do not rely on car registration numbers. If you are shaken up you can get them wrong and who is to say the car is registered to them?

Get witness names names and addresses or at least a phone number. They are vital and will prevent it being your word against the drivers.

Injury accidents..always call the police. Tell the offender police are coming and if they leave at least you have followed the correct procedure. That will stand in your stead for any court case.

I was a police officer for 8 years and I cannot remember the times when I have been unable to find "offenders" because some given detail was incorrect.

Look at it this way. Nomatter how nice and caring the other driver is, in the cold light of day they will try and wingle out of it.

steveindenmark is offline  
Related Topics
Thread Starter
Last Post
General Cycling Discussion
05-14-13 10:01 AM
Advocacy & Safety
04-03-12 05:03 PM
General Cycling Discussion
12-09-11 12:26 AM
06-03-11 02:35 PM
Advocacy & Safety
09-15-10 01:03 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.