Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Utility Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/utility-cycling/)
-   -   It is about time (https://www.bikeforums.net/utility-cycling/806194-about-time.html)

Underground 03-21-12 09:54 PM

It is about time
 
Finally put my deposit down on a Trek Transport. I shall be officially joining the utility cycling ranks in a couple of weeks when it comes in.

I don't think I have ever been this excited about a bicycle before...

salek 03-23-12 09:16 PM

I had the chance and choice to get a Big Dummy or a Trek Transport. I chose the BD. My cycling buddy Treeman is a Trek man. I SERIOUSLY considered the Trek. I look forward to hearing your input about utility cycling. It is very different light or heavy. Tell us your stories.

BeastRider 03-27-12 08:15 PM


Originally Posted by Underground (Post 14001481)
Finally put my deposit down on a Trek Transport. I shall be officially joining the utility cycling ranks in a couple of weeks when it comes in.

I don't think I have ever been this excited about a bicycle before...

GLAD to hear it!!!!! I'll be looking forward to NOT being the only one that has one and posts here!!!!!

BeastRider 03-28-12 05:04 AM

A few shots of my night lighting setup. I think that the blue on the front is a little on the bright side and I am going to try to tone them down a bit.....


Underground 03-29-12 05:35 PM

That is an impressive light setup!


I got a call earlier today, my Transport is ready to be picked up at the shop. One of the guys there I know called to tell me. He said they were quite impressed with the bike overall. I wouldn't be surprised if they get another to keep on hand because they liked it so much.

Now I just have to wait to get it. Due to my work schedule I cannot pick it up until Sunday. Ok, I could get it earlier, but it would be torture to bring it home and not be able to ride it. At least Sunday I will be able to have my wife drive me down there, drop me off, and I can ride it back home.

BeastRider 03-29-12 07:45 PM


Originally Posted by Underground (Post 14033301)
That is an impressive light setup!


I got a call earlier today, my Transport is ready to be picked up at the shop. One of the guys there I know called to tell me. He said they were quite impressed with the bike overall. I wouldn't be surprised if they get another to keep on hand because they liked it so much.

Now I just have to wait to get it. Due to my work schedule I cannot pick it up until Sunday. Ok, I could get it earlier, but it would be torture to bring it home and not be able to ride it. At least Sunday I will be able to have my wife drive me down there, drop me off, and I can ride it back home.

Thanks for the compliment on the lights. I am currently re-working the front blue setup as it's a bit too bright and I really want the "glow" effect.

You'll really enjoy that first ride!!!!! I rode for about 7 miles home after I got mine. Was a GREAT ride.

And you WILL get a lot of people asking questions almost every time you stop someplace. I have spent a ton of extra time in Lowes talking to people about it. Yes, they allow me to bring the bike into the store.......I guess they figure I'll spend more that way....which I usually do.....LOL

Underground 03-29-12 09:20 PM

Hmm, I may have to see if they would allow me to bring it in Home Depot. That would make things easier...

Roll-Monroe-Co 03-29-12 11:33 PM


Originally Posted by BeastRider (Post 14026074)
A few shots of my night lighting setup. I think that the blue on the front is a little on the bright side and I am going to try to tone them down a bit.....


I agree that's really cool looking, but, don't the police become disgruntled when you use their lighting signature?

BeastRider 03-30-12 02:10 AM


Originally Posted by Underground (Post 14034300)
Hmm, I may have to see if they would allow me to bring it in Home Depot. That would make things easier...

The Home Depot here didn't have a problem with me bringing it in. Lowes is just a lot closer for me to go to.....

BeastRider 03-30-12 02:12 AM


Originally Posted by Roll-Monroe-Co (Post 14034735)
I agree that's really cool looking, but, don't the police become disgruntled when you use their lighting signature?

I haven't been stopped by any. I suppose that if they wanted to be real jerks about them they could. But the lights don't flash. Perhaps that's what makes a difference.......

Underground 03-30-12 03:17 AM

I wonder how many people would actually pull over for a bicycle cop. I have not seen one down here in TX, so I'm not even sure people would know what to do if a bicycle was trying to pull them over. hahaha

BeastRider 03-30-12 04:55 AM


Originally Posted by Underground (Post 14034982)
I wonder how many people would actually pull over for a bicycle cop. I have not seen one down here in TX, so I'm not even sure people would know what to do if a bicycle was trying to pull them over. hahaha

Bike cops around here are, for the most part, used in crime areas as they can sneak up on the drug dealers easier. Hard to spot them until they are almost next to you!!!!

ultrarider 03-30-12 07:03 AM

I think you will be impressed. The shop I got mine at was impressed also. I have never liked a bike as much on the first ride as I have enjoyed this one. Be sure to let us know.


Originally Posted by Underground (Post 14001481)
Finally put my deposit down on a Trek Transport. I shall be officially joining the utility cycling ranks in a couple of weeks when it comes in.

I don't think I have ever been this excited about a bicycle before...


FunkyStickman 03-31-12 05:58 AM

Very cool! I was eyeballing those myself... maybe someday.

BeastRider 03-31-12 06:21 AM


Originally Posted by FunkyStickman (Post 14039625)
Very cool! I was eyeballing those myself... maybe someday.

As I have posted many times on various boards and Facebook. I have never been happier with a bicycle purchase. This bike, although rather large and, sometimes, a bit bulky, serves all of my needs.

This is my everyday commuter, errand runner, and all around "fun" ride bike. I am always getting stopped and asked a TON of questions about it. Fortunately, I don't have any problems talking to people.......

It's a complete blast to ride. But, as with everything else, has some drawbacks. Examples would be....don't plan on doing any singletrack downhill runs......"curb-jumping" can be problematic.....and, until you get used to it, the turning radius is large.

All in all though, as I said, the BEST bike purchase I have ever made!!!!!

Underground 03-31-12 05:36 PM

It only makes sense it has a large turning radius! hahaha

I have heard stories about curb jumping, and I plan on avoiding it as much as I can. It is just nice to ride around on a bike knowing that if you decided to make a stop somewhere to get some items, you have more than enough room to carry them back home. This will be my every day bike. I talked to the LBS, they are going to install a fender on for me and BB7 rear brake (this one came with BB7's up front). I didn't want to get a nice and shiny new bike and have to put it on the stand to work on right after I got it. I just wanted to be able to pick it up and immediately enjoy it without thinking about "all I have to do to it" (ok, I have had a busy work week and I am just wanting to ride and relax on my days off this week).

This way it will be ready to go, and the only things I'll have to worry about is setting the bike up the way I want it. Hopefully it will be ready to go Sunday. Now it may be delayed a day so they can add the stuff on. I am going to call in the morning and check to see if they have an ETC (estimated time of completion, for those who don't know. ;)).

BeastRider 03-31-12 06:41 PM


Originally Posted by Underground (Post 14041428)
It only makes sense it has a large turning radius! hahaha


This way it will be ready to go, and the only things I'll have to worry about is setting the bike up the way I want it. Hopefully it will be ready to go Sunday. Now it may be delayed a day so they can add the stuff on. I am going to call in the morning and check to see if they have an ETC (estimated time of completion, for those who don't know. ;)).

You'll have a great time riding. I added my own rear fenders and disc brakes. But then, as you can probably tell by the photos post, I love to tinker with stuff.

Glad you'll be riding soon!!!!! Be sure to share the photos!!!!!

BeastRider 03-31-12 07:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Underground (Post 14041428)
It only makes sense it has a large turning radius! hahaha

This way it will be ready to go, and the only things I'll have to worry about is setting the bike up the way I want it. Hopefully it will be ready to go Sunday. Now it may be delayed a day so they can add the stuff on. I am going to call in the morning and check to see if they have an ETC (estimated time of completion, for those who don't know. ;)).

I made a few changes to my night setup. I went for more "glow" than "glare" with this setup. Same amount of lights, just a different configuration......


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:31 AM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.