Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Studded tires for kid's bike?

Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Studded tires for kid's bike?

Old 11-23-16, 11:46 AM
  #1  
davidmcowan
Live Deliberately.
Thread Starter
 
davidmcowan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 730

Bikes: CETMA Cargo, Surly Big Dummy, Surly Straggler, Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Studded tires for kid's bike?

Anyone here set their kid up with winter/studded tires? My daughter rides a few blocks every day to school on an Isla bike. Our winters are harsh and she has asked me a couple of times for a "snow bike". Her next bike will likely be semi-fat so she can ride dirt, snow and streets but thinking of putting a studded tire up front for her for the time being.

Wondering if anyone has done it and what success was like with it being ridden.
davidmcowan is offline  
Old 11-23-16, 12:01 PM
  #2  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 41,396

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6866 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 227 Times in 185 Posts
Check with the big bike shop, Perennial Cycles, in town ?


winter tire sort : Winter Tires - Perennial Cycle
fietsbob is offline  
Old 11-23-16, 04:15 PM
  #3  
bike_galpal
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 416

Bikes: Swobo Sanchez 3x1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
in the metro, most days you wont need studs IMO. the streets stay pretty clear. anything with a bit of tread is fine especially for few blocks.

if she has a newer road bike, clearance is an issue. my road fork wont fit bigger than 28c.

otherwise, not sure what you're asking exactly. the hub has many locations, all of which carry typical studded tires. are you looking for an odd size or?
bike_galpal is offline  
Old 11-23-16, 04:20 PM
  #4  
bike_galpal
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 416

Bikes: Swobo Sanchez 3x1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by davidmcowan View Post
Wondering if anyone has done it and what success was like with it being ridden.
saw this and also googled isla bikes..... for a bike and kid that small, i would do it, just to be safe!! but yes i'm not sure where to find 20" studded tires.

to answer the quoted question tho, yes, it makes a huge difference. studded tires are the only thing that can compete with actual ice. snow like today, and even layers of packed snow is not such a big deal with any knobbier tires. ice is the true danger IMO. unless you trust your daughter to be very careful and look out for ice i'd get studs for sure.
bike_galpal is offline  
Old 11-23-16, 04:33 PM
  #5  
davidmcowan
Live Deliberately.
Thread Starter
 
davidmcowan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 730

Bikes: CETMA Cargo, Surly Big Dummy, Surly Straggler, Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for such a thorough response. I use studs myself and know how important they are, more specifically I'm wondering if it is worth it for my seven year old or if anyone else had bought studded tires for a child that young. Careful isn't really in her vocabulary.



Originally Posted by bike_galpal View Post
saw this and also googled isla bikes..... for a bike and kid that small, i would do it, just to be safe!! but yes i'm not sure where to find 20" studded tires.

to answer the quoted question tho, yes, it makes a huge difference. studded tires are the only thing that can compete with actual ice. snow like today, and even layers of packed snow is not such a big deal with any knobbier tires. ice is the true danger IMO. unless you trust your daughter to be very careful and look out for ice i'd get studs for sure.
davidmcowan is offline  
Old 11-25-16, 06:10 PM
  #6  
jrbz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Beyond Hope!
Posts: 52

Bikes: 3 Kona 2 Rocky Mtn 1 Bianchi 1 Miele 1 Specialized

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by davidmcowan View Post
Anyone here set their kid up with winter/studded tires? My daughter rides a few blocks every day to school on an Isla bike. Our winters are harsh and she has asked me a couple of times for a "snow bike". Her next bike will likely be semi-fat so she can ride dirt, snow and streets but thinking of putting a studded tire up front for her for the time being.

Wondering if anyone has done it and what success was like with it being ridden.
I think its really cool (no pun intended) that she wants to winter ride but if she's like my girls (now adults) going down once on the ice (no studs) may end that enthusiasm. With only the front tire studded she will go down in the first icy corner, which is not too awful having the rear wheel slide out from under, unless she slides into oncoming traffic. If she's really keen I'd get two studded tires, , and spend some time riding with her to make sure she knows how to handle them. I'm assuming that there is not much traffic in your neighborhood. If there is then forget the whole thing.

https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_t...arathon_winter
jrbz is offline  
Old 11-28-16, 09:33 AM
  #7  
Leebo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 5,439

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Schwalbe makes 20" studded tires. Look for used? They tend to last a long time.
Leebo is offline  
Old 11-28-16, 01:46 PM
  #8  
dabac
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 7,924
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
For a moderate mileage its possible to make studded tires yourself using sheet metal screws. More details available at youtube etc.
dabac is offline  
Old 11-28-16, 03:02 PM
  #9  
Leebo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 5,439

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac View Post
For a moderate mileage its possible to make studded tires yourself using sheet metal screws. More details available at youtube etc.
Ugg, that will wear out in no time, be super heavy and not last one season. Studded tires will last for 5-10 seasons.
Leebo is offline  
Old 11-28-16, 03:18 PM
  #10  
dabac
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 7,924
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo View Post
Ugg, that will wear out in no time, be super heavy and not last one season. Studded tires will last for 5-10 seasons.
Since I started the post with "for a moderate mileage", what do you think you're adding by asserting "it'll wear out in no time" and "not last one season"?
This was for a kid's bike, riding "a few blocks". Won't take much to fit that bill.
And why would it be super heavy? Have you even checked how DIY studded bicycle tires can be made?
You'd have to be pretty darn weak before a handful of 1/2" screws and maybe 3 meters of duct tape qualities as "super heavy".
dabac is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
spectastic
Bicycle Mechanics
4
07-05-19 06:39 PM
KonAaron Snake
Classic & Vintage
20
08-29-17 06:45 PM
MiloFrance
Classic & Vintage
2
09-25-14 11:50 AM
Blacksail
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
6
03-09-09 08:33 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.