Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

About to start commuting in the winter - how's my clothing plan look?

Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

About to start commuting in the winter - how's my clothing plan look?

Reply

Old 12-26-18, 04:45 PM
  #1  
Hatsuwr
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 61

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Tricross Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
About to start commuting in the winter - how's my clothing plan look?

I've always just used my general winter clothes for winter commuting, but am getting pretty tired of that.

Route is 17 miles each way. Temps get down to about 20 F (-7 C) at the lowest, although will usually be closer to freezing when I'll be riding. I have a set of fleece pants and a warm lightweight jacket that I don't mind layering with all of the below occasionally.

My goal is to have the fewest items that cover the most situations with proper layering. Don't mind paying a bit extra for performance and durability. Don't care much about looks, although you can't go wrong with black.

I go for Merino wool wherever possible for skin-contact clothing - seems to have the widest comfortable temperature range of what I've used.

Thanks for any input!

Shorts - $50 - Canari Velo Gel Shorts - Didn't go for Merino here since I don't know if it would be durable enough. Definitely prefer shorts over bibs.
Leg Warmers - $75 - Rapha Merino Leg Warmers
Wind/waterproof shell - $100 - Patagonia Torrentshell Pants - Want something as light as possible so it can be removed and packed when not needed.

Jersey - $75 - Rapha Classic Jersey II
Long Sleeve - $175 - Rapha Classic Long Sleeve Jersey II - Don't like that price for what it is, but I figure it will last a very long time.
Wind/waterproof shell - $140 - Arc'teryx Incendo Hoody - A little more expensive than I'd like, but works for plenty of non-cycling applications. Very light, so easily stored.

Socks - Owned - Injinji Lightweight NuWool Toesocks
Warm Socks - Owned - Darn Tough 1474 or 1405 Socks
Shoes - Owned - Shimano SH-R107 - Thinking about replacing these, since the toe area is a bit cramped for me.
Toe Covers - Owned - Pearl Izumi Elite Thermal Toe Covers

Light Gloves - Owned - These things - Wouldn't mind replacing with something a bit more comfortable since these are starting to develop a few holes.
Heavy Gloves - Owned - Outdoor Research Arete Gloves
Liners - Owned - Terramar Thermasilk Liners

Balaclava - $35 - Icebreaker Oasis Balaclava
Ear Warmers - $25 - Icebreaker Quantum Headband
Glasses - $55 - Veloce Crystal Clear - Don't particularly like these. Looking for something clear, no bottom rim, non-polarized.
Goggles - $30 - Giro Tempo
Hatsuwr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-18, 07:20 AM
  #2  
baldilocks
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Indiana
Posts: 358

Bikes: Giant ATX Lite ,Schwinn Mesa, Others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Black is great for absorbing the suns heat, but not good if it gets dark on you. I would make outer layer hi vis if possible.
baldilocks is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-18, 08:25 AM
  #3  
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 22,078

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2786 Post(s)
I like that those outer pants have pockets!
rumrunn6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-18, 10:49 AM
  #4  
mcours2006
Senior Member
 
mcours2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 5,547

Bikes: Giant Rapid, Bianchi Advantage, Specialized Roubaix, 1985 Gardin Quatro, Norco Threshold, Raleigh Serengheti MTB

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1655 Post(s)
Your upper body may not be warm enough for -7*C.
mcours2006 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-18, 11:43 AM
  #5  
wphamilton
Senior Member
 
wphamilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 14,252

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2351 Post(s)
The only thing really missing from the list are some additional base layers, just regular wicking jerseys but you probably already have them for general cycling. You have easily enough for down to 20, actually quite a bit more extensive than I've used and I ride frequently in colder temperatures (having not skipped a winter commute in 5-6 years).

A couple of other things I'd advise is a pair of neoprene shoe covers, and a waterproof rain jacket (even just a thin generic one) just in case of heavy rain.
wphamilton is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-18, 09:40 PM
  #6  
Gaarg
Junior Member
 
Gaarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Great kit! I this winter I bought myself a Viking Cycle Asger with protection, can watch it here . Now I look like a real biker. Although the rest of my clothes aren't as cool as yours...
Gaarg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-18, 06:55 AM
  #7  
gregf83 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 8,649
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Hard to go wrong with merino wool for commuting. My only recommendation would be to buy more. I have many long and short sleeve merino wool baselayers of various weights. You don’t need a fancy wool jersey with pockets if you’re going to put a jacket or vest on top. In the spring and fall I often end up with a long sleeve wool baselayers with a wind proof vest on top.
gregf83 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-18, 08:28 PM
  #8  
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -
 
TimothyH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Northwest Georgia
Posts: 12,900

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5733 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Hatsuwr View Post
Jersey - $75 - Rapha Classic Jersey II
Long Sleeve - $175 - Rapha Classic Long Sleeve Jersey II - Don't like that price for what it is, but I figure it will last a very long time.
Wind/waterproof shell - $140 - Arc'teryx Incendo Hoody - A little more expensive than I'd like, but works for plenty of non-cycling applications. Very light, so easily stored.
Toe Covers - Owned - Pearl Izumi Elite Thermal Toe Covers
These are going to be insufficient, especially at or below freezing.

Toe covers definitely won't cut it. Full neoprene booties will be much better.

I own a short and long sleeve Rapha Classic II jerseys. They will not provide enough insulation for the temperatures described.

The Arc'teryx Incendo is a fine jacket but again, not enough insulation when combined with the above jerseys. The hood will be of limited value and could even be dangerous as it blocks side vision. A helmet cover is a better option if rain/show is a concern.

Be careful when choosing a balaclava. Many block wind but do a poor job of insulating the top of the head.

Originally Posted by Hatsuwr View Post
My goal is to have the fewest items that cover the most situations with proper layering. Don't mind paying a bit extra for performance and durability. Don't care much about looks, although you can't go wrong with black.
Consider the Castelli Alpha ROS jacket or even the lighter Alpha ROS jersey + appropriate layers. These are incredibly versatile garments and are staples of my wardrobe. They are worth every penny if purchased on sale. Size up at least one size, maybe two especially if you layer.

A neck gaiter is an inexpensive investment and easily stowed if not needed. I own the Smartwool Merino 250.

My insulating mid-layer in very cold weather is an Arc'teryx Delta LT full zip made from Polartec Powergrid. This is another incredibly versatile garment and amazingly warm for its weight.


-Tim-
TimothyH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-18, 03:45 PM
  #9  
mcours2006
Senior Member
 
mcours2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 5,547

Bikes: Giant Rapid, Bianchi Advantage, Specialized Roubaix, 1985 Gardin Quatro, Norco Threshold, Raleigh Serengheti MTB

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1655 Post(s)
Originally Posted by TimothyH View Post
Be careful when choosing a balaclava. Many block wind but do a poor job of insulating the top of the head.
-Tim-
Top of the head is not so much a concern unless OP rides without a helmet. I have a relatively thin balaclava which does a fine job on my face and neck. Even when temps drop to -10*C it's still fine. Top of the head is sufficiently insulated with the helmet on top of the balaclava. Below this temperature, another layer is added, but more so for the face and ears than the top of the head.
mcours2006 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-18, 04:51 PM
  #10  
mtbikerinpa
Shimano Certified
 
mtbikerinpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 1,839

Bikes: 92 Giant Sedona ATX Custom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
I am a fan of my Bontrager JFW shoes with insulated insoles and toe warmer packets below 30 deg(11 hrs of warm). Just got Bontrager OMW winter pants with much positive results as well. Spent all day friday in and out of rain at work and didn't even notice the wet at all since it repelled right off. Warm legs and warm feet make everything else work better. Cold feet(especially spd) will kill your feet tendons in a heartbeat.
mtbikerinpa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-19, 08:49 PM
  #11  
Bat56
Senior Member
 
Bat56's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: St.Paul, MN
Posts: 1,780
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I posted this a few years ago. I should update it because it has changed a bit: Mostly that I wear my road helmet down to 10F with a merino cycling cap with ear flaps.

Bat56 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-19, 07:22 PM
  #12  
Hatsuwr
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 61

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Tricross Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Thanks for all the great input everyone! Bought some things before seeing of the responses, but I'll give it a shot and go from there.
Made a few changed to the list in the original post:

Shorts - $50 - Canari Velo Gel Shorts - Went with the Voler Jet FS Shorts instead. Seemed to be a bit better quality, still black but with reflective accents, and made in my home state!
Leg Warmers - $75 - Rapha Merino Leg Warmers - Stuck with Rapha, but just got the knee warmers. Seemed a bit more versatile, and also not out of stock...
Jersey - $75 - Rapha Classic Jersey II - Skipped for now since it's so cold. Got a few months before I'll need to decide here.
Long Sleeve - $175 - Rapha Classic Long Sleeve Jersey II - Switched it up a bit with the Rapha Brevet Windblock. More Merino, plus integrated windblocking. I think this will make me a lot more comfortable in that range between extreme cold and slightly warm. Got it on sale too! I also have a 200 weight Merino base layer when needed.
Wind/waterproof shell - $140 - Arc'teryx Incendo Hoody - Slight upgrade to the Arc'teryx Squamish Hoody. A bit heavier and more expensive, but seems to be a better build and fit, especially with the hood.
Goggles - $30 - Giro Tempo - Went with the Smith Squad MTB Goggles. They had a lot more information available about them, and confirmation of some features I was looking for like full UV blocking and good helmet compatibility.. The Giro's probably would have been fine, but I figure these will last me quite a few years, so I don't mind a slightly higher price.

Got a Giro Synth MIPS helmet as well. Pricey, but by far the best helmet I have ever owned.

Still undecided about glasses and cool (not cold) weather gloves. Will probably look at some better foot covers, or even warmer shoes...

Will update when things start arriving this week!
Hatsuwr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-19, 08:17 PM
  #13  
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -
 
TimothyH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Northwest Georgia
Posts: 12,900

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5733 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Hatsuwr View Post
Long Sleeve - $175 - Rapha Classic Long Sleeve Jersey II - Switched it up a bit with the Rapha Brevet Windblock. More Merino, plus integrated windblocking. I think this will make me a lot more comfortable in that range between extreme cold and slightly warm. Got it on sale too! I also have a 200 weight Merino base layer when needed.
Do you have this in hand yet?

I own this jersey. It is not 100% wind block like a Gore Windstopper product. I can push air through the Polyester face fabric with my mouth. I'd estimate it at about 85% wind block. The way they applied wind block to the arms doesn't seem optimal - when on the hoods the wind block seems to be on the sides of the forearms, not the front. Not sure if any of this will matter to you.

It isn't very thick but the Merino is really nice and it makes a great layering piece. The front pockets will be great for commuting.

If you are looking for a Windblock garment then have a look at the 7Mesh Synergy. I also strongly recommend the Castelli Alpha ROS jersey and especially the Alpha ROS jacket for temps below freezing.


-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 01-06-19 at 08:28 PM.
TimothyH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-19, 10:18 PM
  #14  
Hatsuwr
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 61

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Tricross Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Originally Posted by TimothyH View Post
Do you have this in hand yet?

I own this jersey. It is not 100% wind block like a Gore Windstopper product. I can push air through the Polyester face fabric with my mouth. I'd estimate it at about 85% wind block. The way they applied wind block to the arms doesn't seem optimal - when on the hoods the wind block seems to be on the sides of the forearms, not the front. Not sure if any of this will matter to you.

It isn't very thick but the Merino is really nice and it makes a great layering piece. The front pockets will be great for commuting.

If you are looking for a Windblock garment then have a look at the 7Mesh Synergy. I also strongly recommend the Castelli Alpha ROS jersey and especially the Alpha ROS jacket for temps below freezing.


-Tim-
Don't have it yet, but that actually sounds pretty good. Wouldn't want 100% block for this layer anyway, still want some good breathing here. As far as the arms... will have to see about that part. I'll keep those two in mind if I freeze this week!
Hatsuwr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-19, 09:36 AM
  #15  
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -
 
TimothyH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Northwest Georgia
Posts: 12,900

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5733 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Hatsuwr View Post
Don't have it yet, but that actually sounds pretty good. Wouldn't want 100% block for this layer anyway, still want some good breathing here. As far as the arms... will have to see about that part. I'll keep those two in mind if I freeze this week!
Good luck. Please post how it all works out.

-Tim-
TimothyH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-19, 12:10 PM
  #16  
Hatsuwr
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 61

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Tricross Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Originally Posted by TimothyH View Post
Good luck. Please post how it all works out.

-Tim-
Did my first ride! About 20 miles (32 km) and 1:30 each direction. Not too proud of that time, but has some ridiculous winds, so will hopefully get that closer to 1:00 with good weather and getting in better shape.

Weather was about 29 F with an apparent temperature of 19 F (-2 and -7 C).

Anyway, even with the toe covers (Pearl Izumi), wool base toe socks (Injinji), and wool mid-weight hiking socks (Darn Tough), my feet were half numb. Not nearly the worst they have been, but worth addressing. I'd rather not get a whole second set of shoes and it seems like only a bit extra is needed, so I'm going to try some full shoe covers. Beside's that, everything performed well, and I think I'm alright with the toe space in the Shimano shoes after all.

Hands were just about perfect with the Terramar silk liners and cheap Aufwarmen gloves. Got a bit chilly when starting out, and a couple other times for some unknown reason. Not numb though, and better than sweating. My heavy gloves probably would have been too warm.

Wore the Voler shorts and Rapha knee warmers (which are long enough to almost be leg warmers) with an old pair of fleece pants on top. Temperatures were great - not cold at all, but no sweating. Did start to get some chafing with the shorts toward the end of the return trip, maybe from the pants? Seemed to be mostly in the chamois are though, and I've never had an issue even while wearing tri shorts or even some regular pants. Besides that, everything stayed in place and was comfortable.

The Rapha windblock jersey really impressed me. It, plus an Icebreaker 200 wt Merino baselayer, kept me warm, but well vented where needed. Had some strong winds that night too. The neck of the jersey was a bit tight when zipped up fully while wearing a balaclava, but has a very nice fit without. Front pockets on the jersey were a nice touch, with loops on the zippers that made using them easy even with gloves.

Neck was a bit cold with an old cheap polyester balaclava. Ears and head were a bit warm with a set of earwarmers borrowed from my wife, so I just put them around my neck and things were alright. Icebreaker Merino balaclava and earwarmers should be here Friday, and I think I should be fine with just the better balaclava unless it's significantly colder out.

Helmet was amazing - forgot it was even there most of the time. Same with the goggles, with visibility and field of view almost the same as without anything on. No fogging at all, and they stayed in place the whole time without being very tight. Also found an old taillight that I clipped to the back of the goggles strap as a backup for my bike's taillight.


All that said, next step is getting some shoe covers and maybe replacing the old fleece pants with something a bit closer fitting. Will try riding with just the shorts and knee warmers first to make sure I need anything at all.
Hatsuwr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-19, 12:30 PM
  #17  
Flip Flop Rider
Senior Member
 
Flip Flop Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: South Carolina Upstate
Posts: 964

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
suggest hiking boots a size larger for your feet and a reflective strap or vest

https://www.amazon.com/REFLECTIVE-Li...flective+strap

also some buffs

https://www.amazon.com/KINGREE-Headb...ords=mens+buff
Flip Flop Rider is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-19, 12:38 PM
  #18  
Hatsuwr
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 61

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Tricross Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider View Post
suggest hiking boots a size larger for your feet and a reflective strap or vest

https://www.amazon.com/REFLECTIVE-Li...flective+strap

also some buffs

https://www.amazon.com/KINGREE-Headb...ords=mens+buff
Ah yes, my old enemy the reflective belt...


And thanks for reminding me I have one of those gaiters somewhere in my closet! Will pack that Friday in case the balaclava falls short.
Hatsuwr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-19, 12:50 PM
  #19  
fasthair
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 260
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Hatsuwr View Post
All that said, next step is getting some shoe covers and maybe replacing the old fleece pants with something a bit closer fitting. Will try riding with just the shorts and knee warmers first to make sure I need anything at all.
For pants these are hard to beat. I've got two pair and they are many years old and still look and feel like new. If it gets real cold (10f or lower) I will but a pair of "long Johns" under them. I chose these so I can wear my own bike shorts under them.
https://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/Sho...ght/p/11111713

I didn't look at all of your tops but in the winter I put this over top of my coat so I am easier to be seen. Bonus that they are cheap.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/TR-Indus...8008/207007269

Plus one on the shoe covers. But to be honest my Shimano SW81 winter boots were worth every penny they cost. A pair of smart wool base sock with summer socks over those keep my feet nice and toasty.

fasthair
fasthair is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-19, 01:11 PM
  #20  
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -
 
TimothyH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Northwest Georgia
Posts: 12,900

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5733 Post(s)
Thanks for the report!

Figuring out what works is half the fun and there is a thrill in overcoming the risk of the first ride.

Congratulations!!!

Originally Posted by Hatsuwr View Post
I'm going to try some full shoe covers.

Neck was a bit cold

maybe replacing the old fleece pants with something a bit closer fitting.
A few suggestions:

Grip Grab shoe covers - Racethermo or Arctic depending on your needs and location. They are not available in the US but can be ordered through Wiggle.

Consider a neck gaiter. They are highly versitile. At 55 yearts old I rarely ride without one, even if it is only in my pocket. Cheap insurance against a sore throat.

Castelli Nanoflex knickers or tights are great and for colder temps the Sorpasso 2 Wind bib tights can't be beat. These are the only things I wear below 45. Shop around for price and size up. Way up.

You may also need this for your skin after a few weeks in the cold.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 01-10-19 at 01:14 PM.
TimothyH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-19, 01:20 PM
  #21  
Flip Flop Rider
Senior Member
 
Flip Flop Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: South Carolina Upstate
Posts: 964

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
balaclava for me was too warm. You will heat up pretty good in 17 miles.

gaiter/buff is so versatile and blocks wind from your neck hole. Can be pulled up over the ears and chin, and can even be used as a layer on your head

my feet get cold. I tried a lot of things, but the hiking boots with room for extra layers or warmers is the ticket

might want to look up rain poncho
Flip Flop Rider is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-19, 01:26 PM
  #22  
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 22,078

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2786 Post(s)
don't think shorts & knee warmers are gonna be enough for 19 degrees
rumrunn6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-19, 02:32 PM
  #23  
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -
 
TimothyH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Northwest Georgia
Posts: 12,900

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5733 Post(s)
Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
don't think shorts & knee warmers are gonna be enough for 19 degrees
Neither do I.

I'll be wearing Castelli Sorpasso Wind bib tights and an Alpha ROS jacket tonight at 30.

I tend to run cold though and really, really don't like bronchitis.
TimothyH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-19, 03:11 PM
  #24  
Hatsuwr
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 61

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Tricross Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Originally Posted by fasthair View Post
For pants these are hard to beat. I've got two pair and they are many years old and still look and feel like new. If it gets real cold (10f or lower) I will but a pair of "long Johns" under them. I chose these so I can wear my own bike shorts under them.
https://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/Sho...ght/p/11111713

I didn't look at all of your tops but in the winter I put this over top of my coat so I am easier to be seen. Bonus that they are cheap.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/TR-Indus...8008/207007269

Plus one on the shoe covers. But to be honest my Shimano SW81 winter boots were worth every penny they cost. A pair of smart wool base sock with summer socks over those keep my feet nice and toasty.

fasthair
Those pants look pretty good, I'll keep them in mind, thanks!

Originally Posted by TimothyH View Post
Thanks for the report!

A few suggestions:

Grip Grab shoe covers - Racethermo or Arctic depending on your needs and location. They are not available in the US but can be ordered through Wiggle.

Consider a neck gaiter. They are highly versitile. At 55 yearts old I rarely ride without one, even if it is only in my pocket. Cheap insurance against a sore throat.

Castelli Nanoflex knickers or tights are great and for colder temps the Sorpasso 2 Wind bib tights can't be beat. These are the only things I wear below 45. Shop around for price and size up. Way up.

You may also need this for your skin after a few weeks in the cold.

-Tim-
Thanks for the shoe cover recommendation. Those look toasty and have enough ankle that I could stick with just my toe socks if the foot area is warm enough too. I actually have a neck gaiter that I forgot about. That's going in the pack next ride if the Merino balaclava isn't warm enough on it's own.

I will keep considering the bib tights... I've never been able to get into bibs though. I know I'm probably on the minority side here haha. I see, and appreciate the advantages, but the extra material on the torso bothers me, and the constant light pressure on the shoulders. It's weird - I'll carry a heavy pack all day, but even just using shirt stays is uncomfortable for some reason. I have torn both my AC ligaments, so maybe that is something to do with it haha.

Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider View Post
balaclava for me was too warm. You will heat up pretty good in 17 miles.

gaiter/buff is so versatile and blocks wind from your neck hole. Can be pulled up over the ears and chin, and can even be used as a layer on your head

my feet get cold. I tried a lot of things, but the hiking boots with room for extra layers or warmers is the ticket

might want to look up rain poncho
My face gets way too cold to skip the balaclava haha. My hair is usually very short so the little extra insulation up there doesn't bother me much. Seems like the air gets a bit of extra moisture using the balaclava over my mouth/nose too.

Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
don't think shorts & knee warmers are gonna be enough for 19 degrees
I don't think so either, but it won't hurt for too long to try and find out! Either it works or I'll be numb pretty quick haha.
Hatsuwr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-19, 03:17 AM
  #25  
IamDonna
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Hatsuwr View Post
I've always just used my general winter clothes for winter commuting, but am getting pretty tired of that.

Route is 17 miles each way. Temps get down to about 20 F (-7 C) at the lowest, although will usually be closer to freezing when I'll be riding. I have a set of fleece pants and a warm lightweight jacket that I don't mind layering with all of the below occasionally.

My goal is to have the fewest items that cover the most situations with proper layering. Don't mind paying a bit extra for performance and durability. Don't care much about looks, although you can't go wrong with black.

I go for Merino wool wherever possible for skin-contact clothing - seems to have the widest comfortable temperature range of what I've used.

Thanks for any input!
Woah! A lot of things to cater for a winter cycling tour! Well as i am a newbie doesn't know much about getting particular things for winter seasons but would love to know more about it and can you please guide me through this?
IamDonna is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service