Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Winter Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/winter-cycling/)
-   -   First Crash of the Winter (https://www.bikeforums.net/winter-cycling/1224228-first-crash-winter.html)

xyz 02-21-21 06:10 PM

First Crash of the Winter
 
Wet snow sort of pushed me into the snowbank where I slowed and tipped over. I have to say, falling over when there is a couple inches of snow on the pavement is about the easiest crash I have ever had.

Noonievut 02-21-21 07:01 PM


Originally Posted by xyz (Post 21934828)
Wet snow sort of pushed me into the snowbank where I slowed and tipped over. I have to say, falling over when there is a couple inches of snow on the pavement is about the easiest crash I have ever had.

Good to hear it wasn’t a disaster!

I went fat biking yesterday, groomed trails but snow was soft and really hard not to lose momentum and traction numerous times. Had to step off 50+ times...always into 1-3ft of fluffy white stuff.

GlennR 02-21-21 07:13 PM

It snowed here Friday but today the roads were clear so i went out. I don't mind the wet, but ice is a no go.

xyz 02-21-21 07:35 PM


Originally Posted by GlennR (Post 21934912)
It snowed here Friday but today the roads were clear so i went out. I don't mind the wet, but ice is a no go.

With studs the ice is easy, the wet snow is the hard part.

GlennR 02-21-21 07:37 PM


Originally Posted by xyz (Post 21934953)
With studs the ice is easy, the wet snow is the hard part.

Well, I ride rode so studded tires would be a rough ride. And taking a turn and hitting ice is a sure way to a bad day.

xyz 02-21-21 07:37 PM


Originally Posted by Noonievut (Post 21934894)
Good to hear it wasn’t a disaster!

I went fat biking yesterday, groomed trails but snow was soft and really hard not to lose momentum and traction numerous times. Had to step off 50+ times...always into 1-3ft of fluffy white stuff.

Yeah, I should have done that as soon as I started drifting over, but you only get a couple of seconds to decide and I wasn't doing a turn.

Inusuit 03-22-21 04:27 PM

I went down twice on the first day of spring in Wyoming. Both times tried to negotiate snow or mud at low speed when I should have walked the bike or picked up speed. No injury or damage to the bike.

parkbrav 03-23-21 11:32 AM

Sorry for the late reply. Glad to hear you're ok!

gecho 03-23-21 10:07 PM

A few weeks back I had a 17 km/h crash on packed snow, definitely the fastest crash I've ever had. The snow had been super grippy with studs so I'm not quite sure what caused it. My guess is that there was a hidden parallel ice ridge that I rode up onto then the front tire slipped off of. Lost the front end, made one of those instinctive corrections and thought for an instant that I might have saved it. Then the realization that I'm beyond the point of no return, and what seemed like an eternity before I hit the ground.

I managed to a land pretty flat on my side and other than getting smacked in the shin by a pedal I was good. I do my best to keep my hands on the bars during a crash, I figure that is safest option. Barely any soreness the next day, not enough to keep me off the bike. Even flat layer of packed snow meant no road rash or damaged clothing.

I've got a pretty good run of rides going this month. The day we got the snow is the only day in March that I haven't gone for a ride.

noglider 03-26-21 02:47 PM

Does anyone here practice falling? I try to do it once a year. I discovered that I fall better and hurt myself less when I've practiced. I once had a really bad night of falling on the ice three times. It was weird how little I got hurt, and then I realized it was because of my rehearsals. I practice not from the bike but just from standing.

xyz 03-26-21 06:12 PM


Originally Posted by noglider (Post 21986548)
Does anyone here practice falling? I try to do it once a year. I discovered that I fall better and hurt myself less when I've practiced. I once had a really bad night of falling on the ice three times. It was weird how little I got hurt, and then I realized it was because of my rehearsals. I practice not from the bike but just from standing.

For sliding when you hit a corner, sure. Some crashes would be hard to train for. Guess the sliding into a corner would be the common one for winter/rain conditions. Like 5ish years ago I was riding up one of those little hills where it gets steeper the closer you get to the peak. Right at the steepest part I slipped the chain off the freewheel trying to downshift. In general it's easy to pop it back on while riding, but not enough time for that. Dropped my sternum right onto the bar end that was braced against the pavement. Nice bruise.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:33 PM.


Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.