Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Where's Winter?

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Where's Winter?

Old 01-05-23, 09:04 AM
  #26  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: northern Deep South
Posts: 8,772

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2529 Post(s)
Liked 1,845 Times in 1,160 Posts
Glancing at the thread title, I had a thought.

The weather this year is like playing peek-a-boo with my grandchildren. "Where's Winter? Where did it go?" "Oh, there it is!"

pdlamb is offline  
Old 01-05-23, 10:32 AM
  #27  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 29,497

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5215 Post(s)
Liked 3,552 Times in 2,324 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Glancing at the thread title, I had a thought.The weather this year is like playing peek-a-boo with my grandchildren. "Where's Winter? Where did it go?" "Oh, there it is!"
cute! how old?
rumrunn6 is offline  
Old 01-06-23, 04:25 AM
  #28  
Senior Member
 
CrowSeph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: South Italy
Posts: 998

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Glancing at the thread title, I had a thought.

The weather this year is like playing peek-a-boo with my grandchildren. "Where's Winter? Where did it go?" "Oh, there it is!"

and then disappears again , i bet.
CrowSeph is offline  
Old 01-06-23, 05:10 AM
  #29  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 29,497

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5215 Post(s)
Liked 3,552 Times in 2,324 Posts
they say we'll get some of the white stuff today/tonite. I'll believe it when I see it
rumrunn6 is offline  
Old 01-06-23, 06:48 AM
  #30  
Senior Member
 
MNBikeCommuter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 850

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
they say we'll get some of the white stuff today/tonite. I'll believe it when I see it
If I remember the stats the weatherperson blurted out yesterday, the Twin Cities got 15" from this week's storm. That brings our total to 45" for the season, the most this early since '91-92. That season started out with the infamous Halloween Blizzard. My daughter was born at the tail end of that one. It was a stressful storm for us. Our annual average is 51" so we're almost there with plenty of winter left. And my bike miles this winter are below average.

Like I said earlier, bring your bikes to Minnesnowta for some winter!
MNBikeCommuter is offline  
Old 01-06-23, 08:37 AM
  #31  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 29,497

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5215 Post(s)
Liked 3,552 Times in 2,324 Posts
Originally Posted by MNBikeCommuter
If I remember the stats the weatherperson blurted out yesterday, the Twin Cities got 15" from this week's storm. That brings our total to 45" for the season, the most this early since '91-92. That season started out with the infamous Halloween Blizzard. My daughter was born at the tail end of that one. It was a stressful storm for us. Our annual average is 51" so we're almost there with plenty of winter left. And my bike miles this winter are below average. Like I said earlier, bring your bikes to Minnesnowta for some winter!
just might do that. we are expecting 2" between 8am-11pm ... pathetic

that looks like snow on the radar but what we are getting is barely that & at a temperature hovering around freezing

our Son was born during an epic northeast blizzard 25-30 years ago in the beginning of January. we always grew to expect lots of snow this week. but those days/years are getting fewer & fewer
rumrunn6 is offline  
Old 01-06-23, 09:46 AM
  #32  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: northern Deep South
Posts: 8,772

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2529 Post(s)
Liked 1,845 Times in 1,160 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
cute! how old?
3 years, 18 and 6 months.

Originally Posted by CrowSeph
and then disappears again , i bet.
Yep, earliest October frost I can remember in nearly 40 years, warm November, just before Christmas the coldest weather we've had for at least 5 years, back up to 60. Where's winter? There it is!
pdlamb is offline  
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 01-06-23, 11:36 AM
  #33  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 29,497

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5215 Post(s)
Liked 3,552 Times in 2,324 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
3 years, 18 and 6 months.
aww great, that's quite the spread!
rumrunn6 is offline  
Old 01-09-23, 08:56 AM
  #34  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,524

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
This winter has been pretty typical for us so far, with an above normal amount of snow. On some main streets without medians the city has been plowing the snow to the center and the pile are getting tall enough you can barely see traffic on the other side. Great weather for the next 2 weeks with the daytime highs all above -10C and reasonable winds. Yesterday I got a nearly 50 km ride in, which took about 4 hours including stopping to fix a snapped chain. I've snapped my 11 speed chain twice this winter. They really don't like it if the chain slips a gear while you are standing.
gecho is offline  
Old 01-09-23, 12:57 PM
  #35  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 29,497

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5215 Post(s)
Liked 3,552 Times in 2,324 Posts
Originally Posted by gecho
snapped my 11 speed chain twice this winter. They really don't like it if the chain slips a gear while you are standing.
darn, that's no fun. I snapped one this summer. took me while to get it back together roadside. wouldn't want to do it in cold weather! kudos to you!
rumrunn6 is offline  
Old 01-09-23, 05:01 PM
  #36  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,524

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
darn, that's no fun. I snapped one this summer. took me while to get it back together roadside. wouldn't want to do it in cold weather! kudos to you!
I broke the chain on a fat bike group ride last fall and an LBS mechanic showed me the quick way to engage a stubborn quick link. Hold the rear brake and give the pedal a kick.

While I was riding today I noticed another one was half broken, but made it back home. When I changed the chain I found a total of 4 broken links, on top of 2 I broke previously.

gecho is offline  
Likes For gecho:
Old 01-09-23, 06:43 PM
  #37  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 29,497

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5215 Post(s)
Liked 3,552 Times in 2,324 Posts
Originally Posted by gecho
I broke the chain on a fat bike group ride last fall and an LBS mechanic showed me the quick way to engage a stubborn quick link. Hold the rear brake and give the pedal a kick. While I was riding today I noticed another one was half broken, but made it back home. When I changed the chain I found a total of 4 broken links, on top of 2 I broke previously.
you beast!

this summer my situation was "simple". my quick link separated. can't imagine how. all I had to do was locate all the parts on the ground & put them back together. took a really long time. tried a new one in my trunk but I couldn't make it snap in place. went back to the original parts. I was carrying a chain tool for a while for this exact rare occurrence but I had left it at home for our vacation trip. anyway, got it back together & we finished our ride of the day. bought a new chain right away but it was late in the week so I didn't try to install it until I got home. couldn't get the quick link separated w/o my tool, which I had misplaced at home. so I never changed the chain. heck if I can't take it apart then it should be fine, right? I don't ride a lot & it was replaced a few years back. 2 days ago I found my chain tool. decisions, decisions
rumrunn6 is offline  
Old 01-10-23, 08:01 AM
  #38  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 462
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
I'm feeling proud of myself because yesterday I took advantage of the higher temperatures and washed the bike. I noticed a lot of road-sand but not much evidence of salt.
parkbrav is offline  
Likes For parkbrav:
Old 01-10-23, 08:57 AM
  #39  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 29,497

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5215 Post(s)
Liked 3,552 Times in 2,324 Posts
Originally Posted by parkbrav
I'm feeling proud of myself because yesterday I took advantage of the higher temperatures and washed the bike. I noticed a lot of road-sand but not much evidence of salt.
sand is amazing, it gets everywhere
rumrunn6 is offline  
Old 01-11-23, 04:34 PM
  #40  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,524

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
you beast!

this summer my situation was "simple". my quick link separated. can't imagine how. all I had to do was locate all the parts on the ground & put them back together. took a really long time. tried a new one in my trunk but I couldn't make it snap in place. went back to the original parts. I was carrying a chain tool for a while for this exact rare occurrence but I had left it at home for our vacation trip. anyway, got it back together & we finished our ride of the day. bought a new chain right away but it was late in the week so I didn't try to install it until I got home. couldn't get the quick link separated w/o my tool, which I had misplaced at home. so I never changed the chain. heck if I can't take it apart then it should be fine, right? I don't ride a lot & it was replaced a few years back. 2 days ago I found my chain tool. decisions, decisions
Someone asked me what model the chain was so I went to my Amazon order history. Clicking on the listing I looked at the reviews: counterfeit, fake, counterfeit, .... Mystery solved. Yet Amazon is still selling it, I'll have to see if I can correct that.
gecho is offline  
Likes For gecho:
Old 01-13-23, 05:25 AM
  #41  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 940
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 125 Posts
We had a slight return to Winter last night with a couple cm of light, fluffy snow. And temps look cold for a couple days but ride again late Sunday. From Dec 30 to Jan 11 I got in 9 road rides (snow and salt free). Iím still looking forward to renting a fatbike and there is sufficient snow...but not sure when that will happen
Noonievut is offline  
Old 01-14-23, 09:27 AM
  #42  
Standard Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Brunswick, Maine
Posts: 4,194

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 865 Times in 458 Posts
Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
in central CT it's like perma-spring. Just rain, rain and more rain. My kids are disappointed. They want snow.
Same in southern Maine. Glad the birds are getting a break, but I moved up here to get some weather! Harumph!
__________________
1989Pre is offline  
Old 01-14-23, 12:49 PM
  #43  
Senior Member
 
GrainBrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Central Io-way
Posts: 2,640

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1214 Post(s)
Liked 605 Times in 455 Posts
Where's winter? I think I found it!

GrainBrain is offline  
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 01-15-23, 07:05 AM
  #44  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 29,497

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5215 Post(s)
Liked 3,552 Times in 2,324 Posts
gorgeous
rumrunn6 is offline  
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 01-18-23, 07:52 PM
  #45  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 29,497

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5215 Post(s)
Liked 3,552 Times in 2,324 Posts
the calm before the storm

we might get 1"-4" ... good grief
rumrunn6 is offline  
Old 01-18-23, 09:35 PM
  #46  
Senior Member
 
GrainBrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Central Io-way
Posts: 2,640

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1214 Post(s)
Liked 605 Times in 455 Posts
Nice we're getting snow right now, 4" easy when it's done. We've had a couple hours so far where it's down pour snow Even better it's heavy so it'll stay nice and even.
GrainBrain is offline  
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 01-19-23, 05:31 AM
  #47  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 29,497

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5215 Post(s)
Liked 3,552 Times in 2,324 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
Nice we're getting snow right now, 4" easy when it's done. We've had a couple hours so far where it's down pour snow Even better it's heavy so it'll stay nice and even.
instead of blowing around & drifting?
rumrunn6 is offline  
Old 01-19-23, 06:35 AM
  #48  
Senior Member
 
GrainBrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Central Io-way
Posts: 2,640

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1214 Post(s)
Liked 605 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
instead of blowing around & drifting?
Yup, last big event we had there were 25mph+ winds for a few days with fluffy snow. Huge drifts in spots and scavenged bare ground in others. Looks like at least 5" here and it's the perfect kind for groomed trails. I'll be curious to see how I do on ungroomed trail - my winter tires aren't super aggressive so 4" fluffy snow was my limit, but I'm hoping even at 5" this snow will pack and ride better.
GrainBrain is offline  
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 01-19-23, 10:07 AM
  #49  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 29,497

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5215 Post(s)
Liked 3,552 Times in 2,324 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
Yup, last big event we had there were 25mph+ winds for a few days with fluffy snow. Huge drifts in spots and scavenged bare ground in others. Looks like at least 5" here and it's the perfect kind for groomed trails. I'll be curious to see how I do on ungroomed trail - my winter tires aren't super aggressive so 4" fluffy snow was my limit, but I'm hoping even at 5" this snow will pack and ride better.
that's winter, right? picking & choosing where to ride based on daily changing conditions I have 3 diff. bikes but haven't taken the fat bike plunge yet. love watching what you guys do!
rumrunn6 is offline  
Old 01-19-23, 02:49 PM
  #50  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 29,497

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5215 Post(s)
Liked 3,552 Times in 2,324 Posts
ooh pretty colors

kinda lame, but we'll take it!

Last edited by rumrunn6; 01-19-23 at 02:57 PM.
rumrunn6 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.