View Single Post
Old 07-19-10, 06:53 PM
meanwhile

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qmsdc15
So you ride less than 10,000 miles per year!? I though you were a rider.
I ride like an idiot - umm, I mean a man - singletrack on a crosser, fast. That means that I'm good for two 1-2 hr rides a week and one longer one if the pain isn't going to kill me... Seriously, I'm back on the bike after +6 months off with a trapped nerve. And after half a dozen rides my body is already losing fat and putting more muscle on - and I'm 220lb mesomorph. My training pattern is designed to force a very large amount of muscle stress, which means that big recovery gaps to avoid natural steroids crashing the immune system. (It's a variant on http://www.exrx.net/ExInfo/HIIT.html.)

Oh - sometimes I cycle on the road inbetween rides, but that doesn't really count.

No, I've never use sealant. Doesn't that add a lot of weight in the worst place?
The effects of weight at the rim are mostly a myth. You can double mass at the rim to allow for angular inertia, but you then have to consider the system weight of the bike plus the rider. So 200g at the rims, x2, compared to a 200lb bike + rider weight makes a difference of about 0.5% to acceleration. A more worrying problem would be an increase to rolling resistance, but I'm told that this doesn't seem to be a problem.