View Single Post
Old 10-20-11, 02:49 PM
ean10775

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
Compare the seat tube angles. If you road bike has a steeper seat tube angle (which it probably does), then you'd need to have the saddle further forward on the CX bike to get the same pedaling position, effectively shortening the top tube of the CX bike. I think I read 10mm per degree of seat tube angle difference as a rule of thumb. So that would point to the larger size. On the other hand, the preferred riding position for CX tends to be different than for road -- more upright, less stretched out -- so that would point to the smaller size. In general, it's easier to make a slightly small bike fit bigger than it is the make a slightly large bike fit smaller. So, I'd probably go with the smaller size.
Agreed. The formula for figuring that out is the cosine of the STA multiplied by saddle height if I remember correctly. The STA difference between the bikes is only .5 degree which effectively equalizes the TT. Coupled with the fact that the 60cm appears to ship with a 10mm shorter stem than I run on my road bike means reach should be ok with the larger frame. I guess I'm just used to hearing that a CX bike should fit smaller and I definitely don't want something that fits larger than my road bike.